PDA

View Full Version : Jocketty: "Our position hasn't changed"

cbowen2112
07-22-2009, 09:56 PM
per Fay:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ac199af9e-bc70-411d-bf0d-83d71a014fe4&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Jocketty: Our position hasn't changed

Walt Jocketty says he’s not ready to write off the season.

“Nothing’s changed,” he said. “Our position hasn’t changed. We’re still 5 1/2 games out. We’re still looking for ways to improve the club.”

There’s one caveat in that.

“We’re not going to do anything for short-term,” he said.

That means the Reds won’t be trading young players for rent-a-players, i.e., players who become frère agents at the season’s end.

The last six days have not been good. The Reds have lost four of the first six on a critical 10-game stretch coming out of the All-Star Break.

There were two trades Wednesday. The Boston Red Sox sent Chris Duncan to St. Louis for shortstop Julio Lugo. The Pirates traded Adam LaRoche to Boston for prospects.

Jocketty said the Reds aren’t close to anything.

“I don’t expect anything to happen until we get closer to the deadline,” he said.

The non-waiver deadline is July 31.

Reds veterans, particularly relievers David Weathers and Arthur Rhodes, have been big names on the rumor mill.

“We’ve gotten some calls,” Jocketty said. “But not as many as you might think.”

Asked if he was inclined to hold onto the veterans, he said:

“Yeah, we’re still trying to win.”

The Reds are 18-29 since May 27.

“I still think we have a run in us,” Jocketty said. “The most telling stat is our starting eight have only played together 10 games. Getting (Alex Gonzalez) back will help. (Edinson) Volquez will be back in the couple of weeks. That will help.”

That starting 8 thing is bugging me...

GIDP
07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Getting Gonzlez back will help? Ha.

cbowen2112
07-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Getting Gonzlez back will help? Ha.

I think Lugo would have been better, and he is bottom tier SS.

Plus Plus
07-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Statements like this are pathetic and insulting to any fan who watches games in even the most remote fashion.

GIDP
07-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I think Lugo would have been better, and he is bottom tier SS.

Im not sure but its probably close.

cbowen2112
07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
I really think he is building for the future and everyone is tired of hearing that, including myself. But, when I look at it logically, he has been here a year and a half or a little more and trimmed the fat, made some bad and good moves. He will trim the fat once again, and hopefully that will put us in contention. We have a young core, build off of that and get talent in FA. We haven't seen a big move honestly since Griffey here. Come on Jock, show us what you got!

OesterPoster
07-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm sorry, but the starting 8 was never that good to begin with. Losing more and more respect for Jocketty each day.

TheBigLebowski
07-22-2009, 10:22 PM
This statement insults me as a human being with a pulse and a functional brain. Jocketty still has an uphill battle ahead of him with the Tavares signing. He needs to hit a home run soon....and I don't think he is really stupid enough to think this team is a contender. That being said, why the hell would he weaken his bargaining position with Rhodes/Weathers with that stupid "Not as many as you might think" statement in regards to how many calls he's received from potential trade suitors? That, after bidding against himself to sign Willy Tavares tells me he's got no idea what negotations are all about. This is your GM, Reds Nation. Read him and weep.

FlyerFanatic
07-22-2009, 10:26 PM
our position hasnt changed? whats he mean? our position in the central?

sammonator
07-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Hopefully that is just a smokescreen. Surely he doesn't think we can win the division this year. Just GM speak in my opinion.

bgwilly31
07-22-2009, 11:00 PM
. Getting (Alex Gonzalez) back will help.

oh cmon .....Really

texasdave
07-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Somebody please wake up Walt and tell him he is talking in his sleep again. Because he is absolutely dreaming if he thinks this team is a contender without some help.

Let me translate: We think we can win but not really, because if we REALLY believed we were contenders we would do something.

Set your alarm clock for the winter meetings and go back to sleep, Walt, if you don't have anything of substance to say.

50YrRedsFan
07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Dear Walt Jocketty and Bob Castellini,
I've lived in southern California all my life. I have been an avid Reds fan since the 1960's. Since 1989, when my children were young, I started visiting Cincinnati every summer I could afford to just to see Reds games. I dragged my son along and he is now a big Reds fan. We have been there every year except for this summer. After last season, I vowed not to return to Cincinnati until I saw a bona fide effort to improve this team. I broke down and went to the recent Reds-Dodgers game on 7/21/2009. This game was a joke. I sat a few rows behind the Reds dugout. After the third inning when the Reds were coming off the field, you could see the players were beaten. There was no life, no enthusiasm, no effort. I don't know how much money I have spent on going to Reds games and to travel 2200 miles to watch them, but I sure it is a considerable amount. As of now I will not spend another penny following them. When I see an improved effort to better the team, I will consider returning to watch games in person and to financially support the Reds. Until then, I am still and always will be a Reds fan.
40 yr Reds Fan.

BLEEDS
07-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Dear Walt Jocketty and Bob Castellini,
I've lived in southern California all my life. I have been an avid Reds fan since the 1960's. Since 1989, when my children were young, I started visiting Cincinnati every summer I could afford to just to see Reds games. I dragged my son along and he is now a big Reds fan. We have been there every year except for this summer. After last season, I vowed not to return to Cincinnati until I saw a bona fide effort to improve this team. I broke down and went to the recent Reds-Dodgers game on 7/21/2009. This game was a joke. I sat a few rows behind the Reds dugout. After the third inning when the Reds were coming off the field, you could see the players were beaten. There was no life, no enthusiasm, no effort. I don't know how much money I have spent on going to Reds games and to travel 2200 miles to watch them, but I sure it is a considerable amount. As of now I will not spend another penny following them. When I see an improved effort to better the team, I will consider returning to watch games in person and to financially support the Reds. Until then, I am still and always will be a Reds fan.
40 yr Reds Fan.

Dear 40 yr Reds Fan,

Please be patient. At this rate, 40 more years might do it! There is a slight chance the Cardinals, Cubs, and Brewers might all fall off the face of the planet and start operating their clubs as horribly as we do ours.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you'll find that our $1 hot dogs should more than off-set the costs associated with travelling to see the Reds. I saw somewhere that prices in California are a tad higher than in Ohio.
Meanwhile, I'm going to figure out how to spend this $20M in profit I'm making from the Reds this year.
Hint: it won't be on next year's payroll!

Thanks,
Bob Castellini

Dear 40 yr Reds Fan,

Who am I? What am I doing here?

Regards,
Walt Jocketty

50YrRedsFan
07-24-2009, 07:05 PM
You know, I just thought of something, The first game I saw in Cincinnati was
against the Pirates in 1989. It was the night that Pete Rose was banned from baseball and Tommy Helms took over . I was sitting down the third base line about halfway between third and the foul/fair pole. Andy Van Slyke hit a line drive foul right to me. It went in my glove (Yes, I used to take a glove to the games), and then out of my glove just as fast. I mean, it was right in the pocket, and I tanked it. I should have known then that the Reds were cursed. Rose gone and my tanked play on the same night.

50YrRedsFan
07-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry, A clarification, The first game I went to was Friday, Aug 25, 1989, which was the day after Rose was banned and Helms first night as manager.