PDA

View Full Version : Can Votto win the batting title?

stevekun
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
I know Votto is behind in at bats but he will catch up...and right now he is leading in the numbers. Just a thought

GIDP
07-24-2009, 02:58 PM
very unlikely

mroby85
07-24-2009, 03:07 PM
very unlikely

from what I can see it's 400 ab's and appearing in 100 games.
He should qualify for that barring injuries i would think?

GIDP
07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
1957 to the present – A player has needed 3.1 plate appearances per team game; thus, players were no longer penalized for walking so frequently or benefited for walking so rarely. (In 1954, for example, Ted Williams batted .345 but had only 386 ABs, while topping the AL with 136 walks. Williams thus lost the batting title to Cleveland’s Bobby Avila, who hit .341 in 555 ABs.) In the 154-game schedule, the required number of plate appearances was 477, and since the era of the 162-game schedule, the requisite number of PAs has been 502. (Adjustments to this 502 PA figure have been made during strike-shortened seasons, such as 1981 and 1994-95.)

Also note that from 1967 to the present, if the player with the highest average in a league fails to meet the minimum plate-appearance requirement, the remaining plate appearances until qualification (for example, 5 PA's, if the player finished the season with 497 plate appearances) are hypothetically considered hitless at-bats; if his recalculated batting average still tops the league, he is awarded the title. (This policy was invoked in 1981, securing Bill Madlock his third NL batting crown, and in 1996, when NL titlist Tony Gwynn finished the year with only 498 PAs.)

Red in Atl
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
He's 63 at bats off pace right now. If he plays full time the rest of the year, which he should, and if he keeps the pace he has now, he should catch up "at bat-wise", so why can't he win it?

ScottyJ
07-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Love to see Joey win it. He's been a constant bright spot in an otherwise spotty season.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-24-2009, 04:20 PM
I think he can. Joey has been very consistant this year. As long as he can keep this up I don't see why he can't win it.

BluegrassRedleg
07-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I think he has a fair chance. The way he uses the whole field, he's a good candidate. Also looking like he's not going to have the pressure of being in the playoff race.

Jones1
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Not the way hes hitting today hes looked horrid as the Reds are 3 outs away from losing AGAIN.

BluegrassRedleg
07-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Not the way hes hitting today hes looked horrid as the Reds are 3 outs away from losing AGAIN.

Why would you base anything about a .350 hitter on today?

Jones1
07-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Because people that win the batting crown dont strike out 3 times in a game! I'm a huge Votto supporter but Im not ready to say he's the best hitter for avg in the national league! Also, not sure If you heard about him but theres a guy by the name of Albert whos pretty good and will probable win that award again.

However, with the crap this team is. Votto Is the bright spot and a reason to watch, isnt that enough without the Nat batting title?

GIDP
07-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Because people that win the batting crown dont strike out 3 times in a game! I'm a huge Votto supporter but Im not ready to say he's the best hitter for avg in the national league! Also, not sure If you heard about him but theres a guy by the name of Albert whos pretty good and will probable win that award again.

However, with the crap this team is. Votto Is the bright spot and a reason to watch, isnt that enough without the Nat batting title?

So you wanna try to prove that no one has ever won the batting title while striking out 3 times in a game?

Jones1
07-25-2009, 03:58 PM
All Im saying is Votto is a great player but without any protection for him in this lineup, the fact its only his SECOND big league year and that Albert will probable win the title. In short he didnt look good yesterday but has rebounded great today. The three strikeouts didnt have as much to do with what I said as the facts I just wrote, obviously i was just frustrated as most of us here, but no one that plays for this offense is going to win a batting title I dont care If it is Albert. In fact, Albert is almost a lock now with Holiday in the lineup.

Heres to Votto having a great year on one of the worst offensive teams Ive ever seen maybe thats better than winning a batting title lol.

Anybody else, wish we had the Big Donkey again? I never thought I'd type that...

texasdave
07-25-2009, 04:48 PM
It is unimaginable where this team would be without Joey Votto.