PDA

View Full Version : Telemarketing, what's the deal?

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi, is Mr. or Mrs. (Your name Here________) available?

Heard this right before a pitch of some sort lately? It might have been me and if so I apologize! Just started a new job recently and this is what I have been reduced to, calling people in the middle of supper to pummel them into submission with a mouthful of ammunition.

I realize it's aggravating I do. That said why must people be so doggone rude on the other end. They seem to forget that despite the fact that the corporations are pushing this thing the person on the other end is just doing a job and must be persistent or they lose their job, and they also seem to forget that it's usualy a good cause we are calling for. Why shoot the messenger and why so much hate and disregard for the message?

I bet 1 out of about 50 actually are willing to take part in a donation or some sort of action for these specific causes I have called for, IMO pretty sad.

What say you guys as probably some of those who have been called and perhaps even excessively?

JaxRed
07-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Tough job Mario. I admire people that can do it/take it.

Roy Tucker
07-24-2009, 04:36 PM
I'll listen to the opening spiel of the telemarketer, at least to the point where they take their first breath.

99 times out of 100, I'm not interested enough to pursue the conversation. At which time I will give the telemarketer a graceful "out" of the conversation. If they don't pick up on the hint and wrap things up quickly, I'll just hang up. You called me, I didn't call you.

westofyou
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
I say.. Please remove me from your call list and then I listen for reply, then I say it again, and again and again and again.

I loath cold call sales calls.

Sea Ray
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I bet 1 out of about 50 actually are willing to take part in a donation or some sort of action for these specific causes I have called for, IMO pretty sad.

What say you guys as probably some of those who have been called and perhaps even excessively?

I don't know how you can do a job where you get rejected 98% of the time.

I wish telemarketers would ask a question like do you want what I'm selling? Instead they say "let me confirm your address and I'll send this right out." That's not being honest. If I say I'm not interested, thank you for calling then accept it, move on and call someone else who might say yes. If you persist then I will hang up on you

BuckeyeRed27
07-24-2009, 05:16 PM
You will always run across people that are rude, but you have to remember that these people have no idea who you are or what you want. In the first 15 seconds of that call you have to tell them who you are and why they should care. 50% of people will still shut you down and then you have to have 2 or 3 RELEVENT pieces of data to tell them why they should still care (I don't know what you are selling but I'm sure you can think of some examples).

Another thing you must do is practice. Have your opening down absolutely stone cold. Who you are and why they care. And have your back up data ready to go.

Even then you are going to get shut down well over half the time if not more and that's fine. It's a numbers game. If after 45 seconds they aren't interested thank them for their time and move on and make the next call.

Good luck.

BuckeyeRed27
07-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh and another thing. Ditch the "Is (insert name here) available?" opening. That things out as a sales call and you immediately put that person on the defensive.

They pick up just say their name and fairly loudly. "Mr. JONES!"
They will always say yes and then go right into your opening that you have practiced and have down stone cold.

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I'll listen to the opening spiel of the telemarketer, at least to the point where they take their first breath.

99 times out of 100, I'm not interested enough to pursue the conversation. At which time I will give the telemarketer a graceful "out" of the conversation. If they don't pick up on the hint and wrap things up quickly, I'll just hang up. You called me, I didn't call you.

Ya know it's funny I don't mind that so much, in fact it's the easiest way to get me out of a tough situation. Problem is that is worse for you than it is for the caller/me. When you just hang up you lose your leverage to keep it from happening again. I don't know if your kid accidentally hung up the phone, the dog pulled the wire out of the wall or you just hung up, so I must mark the call in such a manner that we end up calling you back.

The ones that get me are the ones that here the whole spiel and then act like I just asked for their 1st born and everything in their savings account. I have been turned down I don't even know how many times by numerous folks over asking for something that costs less than a can of soda and only as a one time donation and may cost them all of five minutes of their time at most. People just are so perplexing.

Johnny Footstool
07-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I just let my almost-three year-old son answer the phone all the time. I've taught him how to turn on the speaker phone, so I can monitor what is being said. If it's family calling, they're delighted. If it's a telemarketer, they're baffled into submission.

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I say.. Please remove me from your call list and then I listen for reply, then I say it again, and again and again and again.

I loath cold call sales calls.

Again nothing better for me except a quick yeah I'll buy whatever you are selling. If you immediately cut me off firmly but politely and suggest this you just got me off the hook on the call. I might pause as I rustle around looking for the area of which I need to reply "accordingly" and document it but I will say something momentarily. Problem is people say that and I MUST confirm their info in order to put this action into effect and before I can they hang up thinking that is all they have to do/say and there is nothing else I need to do to get it done.

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
I just let my almost-three year-old son answer the phone all the time. I've taught him how to turn on the speaker phone, so I can monitor what is being said. If it's family calling, they're delighted. If it's a telemarketer, they're baffled into submission.

I love when kids answer they are so polite (most of the time anyway), it's frankly quite cute usually. And this gives me an out if they say you aren't there, but again we will be calling again until you stop it.

Sea Ray
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
When you just hang up you lose your leverage to keep it from happening again. I don't know if your kid accidentally hung up the phone, the dog pulled the wire out of the wall or you just hung up, so I must mark the call in such a manner that we end up calling you back.

Well that's a problem with your company's policy. You can't be so dense as to not know when someone hung up on you. By putting this number back into the pot to be called again you're just setting up another member of your staff for failure and more wasted time. Let's look at this logically, if a telemarketer hears "click" which are the chances of the following happening?

1) Dog chewed the cord
2) Kid hit the hangup
3) Person intentionally hung up the phone

I'd say it's about 98% number 3.

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Oh and another thing. Ditch the "Is (insert name here) available?" opening. That things out as a sales call and you immediately put that person on the defensive.

They pick up just say their name and fairly loudly. "Mr. JONES!"
They will always say yes and then go right into your opening that you have practiced and have down stone cold.

Well often I have to wait for them to say something if I don't use that line which takes as much or more time. Nothing worse than saying "Mrs. Jones?" and the guy responds with "Do I sound like a Mrs., click"! I need to find something smoother.

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Well that's a problem with your company's policy. You can't be so dense as to not know when someone hung up on you. By putting this number back into the pot to be called again you're just setting up another member of your staff for failure and more wasted time. Let's look at this logically, if a telemarketer hears "click" which are the chances of the following happening?

1) Dog chewed the cord
2) Kid hit the hangup
3) Person intentionally hung up the phone

I'd say it's about 98% number 3.

And, when you figure how many people we call and how many of those 2-3% or more aren't on purpose that may donate how much money or whatever you are looking for will you lose over the course of time?

BuckeyeRed27
07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Well often I have to wait for them to say something if I don't use that line which takes as much or more time. Nothing worse than saying "Mrs. Jones?" and the guy responds with "Do I sound like a Mrs., click"! I need to find something smoother.

Well in that case obviously ask if the person you are calling for is available or just switch it to Mr. Jones.

Pretend like you are calling one of your friends parents. Like its someone you've known all your life but that you wouldn't normally call. That's the tone and confidence you should take into that call.

Mario-Rijo
07-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Well in that case obviously ask if the person you are calling for is available or just switch it to Mr. Jones.

Pretend like you are calling one of your friends parents. Like its someone you've known all your life but that you wouldn't normally call. That's the tone and confidence you should take into that call.

Yeah I am picking up on those little nuances. But when I call I am usually looking for one of the (normally) 2 whom have the authority to make a decision which is why I am still asking for either or.

westofyou
07-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Again nothing better for me except a quick yeah I'll buy whatever you are selling. If you immediately cut me off firmly but politely and suggest this you just got me off the hook on the call. I might pause as I rustle around looking for the area of which I need to reply "accordingly" and document it but I will say something momentarily. Problem is people say that and I MUST confirm their info in order to put this action into effect and before I can they hang up thinking that is all they have to do/say and there is nothing else I need to do to get it done.

Actually lots of times just press the #2 which is 75% the automatic number removal default. We get a LOT of computer calls here in oregon.

As for the conversation with a real human part, I'll pass I have people dogging me all day for answers on software development, at the end of the day if I want to buy something I'll be the instigator in any sales banter.

BuckeyeRed27
07-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah I am picking up on those little nuances. But when I call I am usually looking for one of the (normally) 2 whom have the authority to make a decision which is why I am still asking for either or.

Right. I think you might be over thinking it a little bit. If you have a number for the Jones residence and someone answers the phone there is a good chance its Mr. or Mrs. Jones. If you say "Mr. JONES!" and its not Mr. Jones but you said it like that 9/10 times that person will say "One second I'll get him for you". If you say "Is Mr. Jones available?" you are now going to get may I ask who's calling and that's it even if Mr. Jones picked up the phone.
It's human nature. You say someone's name loudly (don't go crazy just be assertive) they are going to say "Yes". Now the path is clear and you just gave yourself a chance. I make a lot of calls for a living. You will be stunned how effective that is.

Sea Ray
07-24-2009, 05:51 PM
And, when you figure how many people we call and how many of those 2-3% or more aren't on purpose that may donate how much money or whatever you are looking for will you lose over the course of time?

Pretty close to none. You've already established that 49 out of 50 will say no to begin with. Well I think a great deal of those that hing up on you did so on purpose and will probably be even madder the next time you call them. Thus your chances of hitting on those 2nd calls are miniscule. Don't go there. It's not worth it

Eric_the_Red
07-25-2009, 06:55 AM
https://donotcall.gov/

I'm on it and I love it. And if a telemarketer does still call, I get their info and report them through the site. Apparently they are fined.

oneupper
07-25-2009, 09:08 AM

I'm on it and I love it. And if a telemarketer does still call, I get their info and report them through the site. Apparently they are fined.

Me too. Love it and it filters out most everyone, except pollsters, charities and people you HAVE done business with.

Everyone else gets reported...I'm ruthless. However, very few actually get fined, I believe.

As for the rest.

Pollsters: I tell them I'm busy. Hang up.
Charities: I don't do business over the phone. Hang up.

People I HAVE done business with. They bank/credit card companies selling some crap, love to do this. Again...I don't do business over the phone and if they call again, I will close all accounts and sever all ties. I follow up with an angry email stating the same. I usually get an apologetic letter (in the mail) and no more calls.

I'm a nasty old fart. Sorry Mario-Rijo.

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2009, 11:17 AM
I have no patience for it. The do not call list is a "Godsend." My Dad liked to have fun with it. When they would ask him how he was, he would go into this long winded diatribe about how his feet were hurting, his rheumatism was acting up, he hadn't got any sleep for a couple of nights, his dinner upset his stomach and so on and so on. They would usually hang up on him. He got a kick out of it and it was always funny to listen to.

reds1869
07-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I once did phone surveys for a large research company. I didn't enjoy the job at all, but I was one of the most successful people there. Somehow I completed about 60% of my surveys successfully, as opposed to the 20% rate everyone else had. I still don't know how, so I don't have any tips. :)

Roy Tucker
07-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Ya know it's funny I don't mind that so much, in fact it's the easiest way to get me out of a tough situation. Problem is that is worse for you than it is for the caller/me. When you just hang up you lose your leverage to keep it from happening again. I don't know if your kid accidentally hung up the phone, the dog pulled the wire out of the wall or you just hung up, so I must mark the call in such a manner that we end up calling you back.

The ones that get me are the ones that here the whole spiel and then act like I just asked for their 1st born and everything in their savings account. I have been turned down I don't even know how many times by numerous folks over asking for something that costs less than a can of soda and only as a one time donation and may cost them all of five minutes of their time at most. People just are so perplexing.

I guess I don't just hang up. If I give the out (usually "we're not in a position to help this year" or "I'm just not interested in xyz") and they start in with more selling, I say "thank you" into the phone and hang up without waiting for a response. I often hear a "but have you thought...." as the phone receiver gets hung up.

I know its a tough job, but we've all got tough jobs.

Chip R
07-25-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't know how you can do a job where you get rejected 98% of the time.

I wish telemarketers would ask a question like do you want what I'm selling? Instead they say "let me confirm your address and I'll send this right out." That's not being honest. If I say I'm not interested, thank you for calling then accept it, move on and call someone else who might say yes. If you persist then I will hang up on you

They don't do that because they are trying to avoid a no answer. Even a legit company will have their people do that and then confirm that you want what they are selling.

If you hang up on them, it will just give them an excuse to call back. If you have your kid answer the phone and tell them that their parent(s) are in the shower, again, it gives them an excuse to call back. If you are really not interested, let them know ASAP so they won't call you back for a while and so the operator can take another call sooner. If you really don't want to be bothered, tell them to put you on the do not call list. A legitimate operation has to honor that.

As you might have learned, I've done this off and on in the past. I wasn't ever out to con anyone and the majority of these people are/were just like me and trying to make an extra buck or two. Like the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game. A polite immediate no or telling them to put you on the do not call list is much better than screaming and cursing at them.

Mario, don't take rejection or the nasty people personally. The quicker they say no, the quicker you can move on to another call. If they get abusive, hang up and go to the next call. You don't have to take their abuse. Good luck.

Mario-Rijo
07-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Right assuming they are not a non-profit organization which is a large part of what I do. The do not call list does not apply to them. We also take a large dose of inbound calls as well on other things.

Mario-Rijo
07-25-2009, 02:12 PM
I guess I don't just hang up. If I give the out (usually "we're not in a position to help this year" or "I'm just not interested in xyz") and they start in with more selling, I say "thank you" into the phone and hang up without waiting for a response. I often hear a "but have you thought...." as the phone receiver gets hung up.

I know its a tough job, but we've all got tough jobs.

Yeah it can be tough, I can handle it not a problem. However it just amazes me how completely closed off to the idea a vast majority of folks are about helping others. Perhaps I am missing something though like a lack of trust by the public in these charitable organizations. However I think a lot of people just use that as a nice excuse to avoid feeling any guilt. But I do know some who genuinely do not trust that the money is going where they say it is.

Mario-Rijo
07-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Right. I think you might be over thinking it a little bit. If you have a number for the Jones residence and someone answers the phone there is a good chance its Mr. or Mrs. Jones. If you say "Mr. JONES!" and its not Mr. Jones but you said it like that 9/10 times that person will say "One second I'll get him for you". If you say "Is Mr. Jones available?" you are now going to get may I ask who's calling and that's it even if Mr. Jones picked up the phone.
It's human nature. You say someone's name loudly (don't go crazy just be assertive) they are going to say "Yes". Now the path is clear and you just gave yourself a chance. I make a lot of calls for a living. You will be stunned how effective that is.

Ah I see, ok I'll go with that and see how it works. Thanks.

Mario-Rijo
07-25-2009, 02:21 PM
They don't do that because they are trying to avoid a no answer. Even a legit company will have their people do that and then confirm that you want what they are selling.

If you hang up on them, it will just give them an excuse to call back. If you have your kid answer the phone and tell them that their parent(s) are in the shower, again, it gives them an excuse to call back. If you are really not interested, let them know ASAP so they won't call you back for a while and so the operator can take another call sooner. If you really don't want to be bothered, tell them to put you on the do not call list. A legitimate operation has to honor that.

As you might have learned, I've done this off and on in the past. I wasn't ever out to con anyone and the majority of these people are/were just like me and trying to make an extra buck or two. Like the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game. A polite immediate no or telling them to put you on the do not call list is much better than screaming and cursing at them.

Mario, don't take rejection or the nasty people personally. The quicker they say no, the quicker you can move on to another call. If they get abusive, hang up and go to the next call. You don't have to take their abuse. Good luck.

Well put Chip definitely my main point don't hate me I wouldn't be calling if I didn't have to put bread on the table myself. I can understand the guy on the other end of the line but the company is paying me to do something else and they are recording literally every breath I take for that 8 hours and listening to it. Don't hate the player (I'd rather be forklifting) hate the game.

Thanks for the advice.

camisadelgolf
07-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I understand being annoyed by the call and getting angry, but why punish the caller for it? Don't shoot the messenger imo.

Sea Ray
07-25-2009, 06:22 PM

That's what I do as well. My point is that I have to interrupt them in order to tell them no because they aren't asking me a question nor are they giving me an opportunity to respond.

Sea Ray
07-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Perhaps I am missing something though like a lack of trust by the public in these charitable organizations. However I think a lot of people just use that as a nice excuse to avoid feeling any guilt. But I do know some who genuinely do not trust that the money is going where they say it is.

OK, I'll explain it to you. There are a lot of scams out there. We can't tell on the phone if you're legit or not. In fact many experts will advise you never to give money over the phone. Are you asking for their credit card? Another red flag. I want to know the organization I'm giving to and I can't do that over the phone.

In addition, we can't afford to give to every well intentioned charity. For example, my brother died of leukemia so my charity dollars go to the Leukemia Society and my church. There's only so many dollars available for charities these days and choices have to be made.

Red in Chicago
07-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Personally, I'd rather have 100 telemarketing calls verses one door-to-door person trying to sell me something. The caller ID is all I need when it comes to telemarketing. It's a bit more difficult to dodge the door-to-door folks when you're either outside already, or you've got the doors and windows open, so they know you're home.

On those rare occasions that I've actually answered the phone, I'm never rude. I simply say "no thanks, I'm not interested". I give them one chance to respond, then once again so "no thanks, I'm not interested" and hang up.

Last Sunday, we had a door-to-door guy come by the house at 8:30pm. He was selling some artwork. I was like, are you kidding me?! Do you really think that some artwork is tops on my list of "wants" at 8:30 at night on a Sunday? Come on dude, use your head. I'm not buying a DaVinci on Sunday night

redhawkfish
07-25-2009, 09:40 PM
I won't give my home number to any business because of my disdain for telemarketing. Caller ID has saved me much time and aggravation. No number that I do not recognize ever gets answered.

cumberlandreds
07-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I am on the "Do not Call" list and rarely get a sales call. It's one of the best things I ever did. I just don't like dealing with that. I feel for anyone having to do this as I'm sure it's a tough line of work.

Roy Tucker
07-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah it can be tough, I can handle it not a problem. However it just amazes me how completely closed off to the idea a vast majority of folks are about helping others. Perhaps I am missing something though like a lack of trust by the public in these charitable organizations. However I think a lot of people just use that as a nice excuse to avoid feeling any guilt. But I do know some who genuinely do not trust that the money is going where they say it is.

I research who my charitable dollars go to and make a conscious decision to give them money. I don't just go "hey, yeah, gee, sure, that's a good idea" to some guy that calls me who I have no idea who he/she is and how on the up and up they are. And frankly, I've already done my due diligence and given my money to the worthy causes of my choice. If I had indicated some interest to you, then I'll have a conversation. But if I haven't, its a cold call to me and I don't do *anything* on a cold call.

Don't mean to be rude, but its not like I'm at the mall or out on the town shopping. I'm in the privacy of my own home and I didn't invite you to call me.

RFS62
07-25-2009, 11:45 PM
I research who my charitable dollars go to and make a conscious decision to give them money. I don't just go "hey, yeah, gee, sure, that's a good idea" to some guy that calls me who I have no idea who he/she is and how on the up and up they are. And frankly, I've already done my due diligence and given my money to the worthy causes of my choice. If I had indicated some interest to you, then I'll have a conversation. But if I haven't, its a cold call to me and I don't do *anything* on a cold call.

Don't mean to be rude, but its not like I'm at the mall or out on the town shopping. I'm in the privacy of my own home and I didn't invite you to call me.

Yeah, I have to agree.

Mario-Rijo
07-26-2009, 01:12 AM

That's certainly understandable.

I have learned one thing about this line of work that I didn't know before, if you don't like to be bugged get informed. These places can and will call and there are few things you can do to stop it. I used to hang up myself before they could ever get started, and now I know why they keep on calling when I do that. Now if they were to call me for starters I'd 1st listen to what they have to say, some don't actually want money from you or at least a lot but maybe just a bit of your time. Second if I don't care for donating time or money to that specific cause I will kindly ask them to remove me from their **Master**call list, (yeah a different call list) and hang on the phone until I get confirmation of this being done. And that way I nip that company in particular right in the bud and every organization they work for. Also get included on the National Do not Call List. Oh and before long I think our cell phones will not be safe anymore either so might have to eventually add it to those lists as well.

kpresidente
08-04-2009, 09:56 AM
It was your decision to take the job and you represent the company you work for. If you don't like the job, get another one. If you can't find another one, go to trade school. If you don't have time for trade school because of family or something, well, you probably had opportunity when you were younger and didn't take advantage of it.

It ain't the guy on the other end of the phone's fault. You're the one that's stalking him, so he's got every right to be pissed.

15fan
08-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Caller ID. If I don't recognize your name or number, I don't talk to you. You get my answering machine & then I delete whatever message it is that you leave me.

Occasionally, though, I would pick up a telemarketer call if my then-toddler was in the middle of a tantrum. That was always fun to let her wail into the phone so that others could share the joy of her kicking & screaming.

"Why no, it's not a bad time at all. I'd absolutely love to hear what you have to say right now..."

I understand that folks have bills to pay.

But there's a special corner of hell that's reserved for telemarketers.

Tom Servo
08-04-2009, 03:04 PM

I'm the same way. I'll let them give their opening and just say I'm not interested, but if they just don't stop talking I hang up.

ochre
08-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I try to treat all unsolicited phone calls as potentially malicious phishing attempts.

RollyInRaleigh
08-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm the same way. I'll let them give their opening and just say I'm not interested, but if they just don't stop talking I hang up.

Same here. I actually had a guy call me back once, after I hung up. He wanted to get nasty about it. If I want something, I will make the call.

acredsfan
08-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I understand the need for charitable organizations to get their name out and try to raise money, but unsolicited calls are not the way to do it. As someone already mentioned, these calls are happening in the privacy of a person's home on a phone that they use for personal purposes. I don't blame the people making the calls, but at the same time you have to be ready for the backlash when you take that job. I'm not the kind to be mean, so I don't give the telemarketer a hard time if I answer, but I do not agree with this form of marketing. I am especially angered by the amount of sales call I have started to recieve on my cell phone, often for the wrong person. Get your organization's name out by doing things in the community and advertising online or on TV. Calling me during dinner or while I am trying to sleep during the day isn't going to make me feel good about your charity.

My late grandfather would listen to their entire sales pitch before telling them no if he wasn't busy because he said that would be one less phone call they would be able to make to annoy someone else. He'd sometimes keep them on the phone for 30 minutes asking them questions. He was always polite, but he was probably trying to entertain himself in the process.

toledodan
08-08-2009, 04:10 AM
when they call and ask for me i tell them to hold. next i sit the phone down and walk away after a few minutes they get the hint and hang up. while hanging up on them is easier i get some satisfaction on costing them some time from making other calls.

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2009, 01:49 AM
It was your decision to take the job and you represent the company you work for. If you don't like the job, get another one. If you can't find another one, go to trade school. If you don't have time for trade school because of family or something, well, you probably had opportunity when you were younger and didn't take advantage of it.

It ain't the guy on the other end of the phone's fault. You're the one that's stalking him, so he's got every right to be pissed.

A bit over the top isn't it KP?

Larry Schuler
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Get off his lawn!