PDA

View Full Version : sadness about the lack of desire to improve

mcowett394
07-24-2009, 05:48 PM
New contributor here. Long time Cincinnati fan of over 50 years. First time I remember the Reds ownership sitting while others seem to acquire new players. Love the Reds but am tired of watching a largely AAA offense compete against better players. What happened to your words, Bob Castellini? You promised a winner. You hired a terrific, proud manager who must be just eating his heart out putting people like Rosales, Nix, Dickerson, and Gomes on the field. Hairston as an everyday player? Boo.

I used to live in Cincinnati and went to a bunch of games. I took my family to Cincinnati from Memphis recently only to see bad baseball. Castellini? I lived in St. Louis and saw how the Busches responded to losers in the 90's. They did not sit long. Why are you doing this to loyal Reds fans who care deeply about a proud tradition?

Too bad Lonnie Wheeler is not around to provide judicious comments about a lousy ownership who does not realize, like most Cincinnati fans do, that you must spend money first to make money.

Bob--you and your assistants are cheap and not worthwhile stewards for a proud franchise. Your sense of salesmanship is so lacking. And your baseball sense is almost non-existent.

I despised Marge Schott for her racist tendencies, but at least, she spent money.

The Reds are comical now and you need to take some responsibility!

lidspinner
07-24-2009, 06:06 PM
I almost agree.....if ownership is not going to do anything to put a winning team on the diamond then why not put it up for sale? I am a firm believer that the fans should prove they will show up to the park before the owner goes out and goes in the hole with his money......But numbers and stats prove that the only way we Reds fans will attend a game is if Bob and Walt place a winner on the diamond. Do it Bob or this is what you are going to get year after year......

Jack Burton
07-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the board, great first post.

Fon Duc Tow
07-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I almost agree.....if ownership is not going to do anything to put a winning team on the diamond then why not put it up for sale?

Because ownership makes money on loser teams every year.

will5979
07-25-2009, 06:33 PM
New contributor here. Long time Cincinnati fan of over 50 years. First time I remember the Reds ownership sitting while others seem to acquire new players. Love the Reds but am tired of watching a largely AAA offense compete against better players. What happened to your words, Bob Castellini? You promised a winner. You hired a terrific, proud manager who must be just eating his heart out putting people like Rosales, Nix, Dickerson, and Gomes on the field. Hairston as an everyday player? Boo.

I used to live in Cincinnati and went to a bunch of games. I took my family to Cincinnati from Memphis recently only to see bad baseball. Castellini? I lived in St. Louis and saw how the Busches responded to losers in the 90's. They did not sit long. Why are you doing this to loyal Reds fans who care deeply about a proud tradition?

Too bad Lonnie Wheeler is not around to provide judicious comments about a lousy ownership who does not realize, like most Cincinnati fans do, that you must spend money first to make money.

Bob--you and your assistants are cheap and not worthwhile stewards for a proud franchise. Your sense of salesmanship is so lacking. And your baseball sense is almost non-existent.

I despised Marge Schott for her racist tendencies, but at least, she spent money.

The Reds are comical now and you need to take some responsibility!

Couldn't have said it better myself, I despise these @$$-holes the same as I did Carl Linder.

ScottyJ
07-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Great post, mcowett, but you did get one thing glaringly wrong.....

Marge Schott was notoriously cheap during her ownership tenure. I know, because a friend of mine was the GM of one of the Reds minor league teams.

One time, instead of flying an injured player to Cincinnati to get examined, my buddy had to get someone to drive him round trip. Guess who he called....:D

ryanparkersongs
07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I think our failures are a combination of being unwilling to spend more money as well as poor allocation of the money we do spend. Even if we up the payroll, $14 million for Harang, $10 million for Arroyo, $8.5 million for Hernandez, $5 million for Gonzalez, and $2.5 million for Taveras are bad deals. Look at the productivity we are getting for that $40 million in salary. Pathetic.

GIDP
07-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Marge schott did more to hurt the Reds than any owner we have ever had.

Old NDN
07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
I think our failures are a combination of being unwilling to spend more money as well as poor allocation of the money we do spend. Even if we up the payroll, $14 million for Harang, $10 million for Arroyo, $8.5 million for Hernandez, $5 million for Gonzalez, and $2.5 million for Taveras are bad deals. Look at the productivity we are getting for that $40 million in salary. Pathetic.

This team has been downtrodden for so long that the only way they can lure/keep players here is to overpay them.

lidspinner
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Marge schott did more to hurt the Reds than any owner we have ever had.

quite true.....but dam did that woman love the Reds.....her only downfall was she enjoyed money more then the Reds. She was a true "fan"....but a owner she was not.

GIDP
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
She wasnt even really about the money she just saw things like scouts to have no return on investment.

lidspinner
07-27-2009, 10:29 PM
true.....what about the stories of her not wanting to pay for the food in the clubhouse before games......I Think the cincy paper had her quoted as saying "the guys are grown men, they can eat before they get here"...that is not word for word but very close.....she was cheap and she had no idea how to spend money to make money.

GIDP
07-27-2009, 10:31 PM
she just didnt see things as being necessities. She was a tight wad but not because she only cared about money. It was she just didnt see the point so she would cut it out.