Brandon Phillips 2b
Edwin Encarnacion 3b
Laynce Nix lf
Jonny Gomes rf
Craig Tatum c
Homer Bailey p

dougdirt
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Bailey is bringing the heat early tonight. Gameday had him at 95,96,96,96 and 94 on his first 5 pitches.

guttle11
07-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Bailey is bringing the heat early tonight. Gameday had him at 95,96,96,96 and 94 on his first 5 pitches.

He really wants to go to Toronto. ;)

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Homer retires the Padres 1-2-3 in the first.

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Taveras reaches on an error by the shortstop

reds44
07-27-2009, 07:22 PM
If Homer cn't get this lineup out...

dougdirt
07-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Did Jeff Brantley just say 'When a team gives you a runner on an error you have to turn it into points'?

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Infield hit for Gonzalez.

reds44
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Votto is pissed

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Votto just got tossed. The horrible umpiring continues.

guttle11
07-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Inexcusable from Votto.

Red in Chicago
jhj is rubbing off on votto...he seems to be complaining a lot more lately...very unfortunate

reds44
Dusty needs to get tossed

11larkin11
07-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Wow. I cannot believe they kept the camera on Votto that many times to see the F word that many times.

Come on Dusty. You have had two ample opportunities the last two games to get thrown out to fire up your bench but you havent.

Reds Fanatic
I am amazed Dusty does not get tossed out of any of these games. If I were him I would have lost it by now.

savafan
Great night to be at the ballpark...might as well be watching a minor league game.

reds44
07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Phillips.

3-0.

RedFanAlways1966
Looked like he DID NOT swing to me. Cannot get ejected for it, but another bad call against the good guys. Eight more innings... gotta wonder how many more bad calls there will be tonight.

Reds Fanatic
Phillips homers to left! 3-0 Reds.

guttle11
Votto is a mad genius.

membengal
If Homer cn't get this lineup out...

...then he'll never be able to dominate St. Louis.

Oh, wait.

Give it a frickin' rest, reds44. He's a kid. You sure never got on EE when he went through his growing pains.

I swear, this fanbase isn't happy until it has eaten anyone of promise and spit them out.

oneupper
07-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Votto has been complaining a lot. He needs to calm down, visit his shrink...

RedsManRick
07-27-2009, 07:34 PM
No matter whether he actually went or not, Joey overreacted. That said, I want to know what he said that got him ejected. I'm not a fan of tossing a guy just because he shows you up.

reds44
07-27-2009, 07:34 PM
...then he'll never be able to dominate St. Louis.

Oh, wait.

Give it a frickin' rest, reds44. He's a kid. You sure never got on EE when he went through his growing pains.

I swear, this fanbase isn't happy until it has eaten anyone of promise and spit them out.
Well unlike Homer, EE has actually has had success in the big leagues before.

He's going up against one of the worst offenses in baseball, my point remains the same.

RedsManRick
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Gomes to 1B, Hairston to LF? Rosales to 1B maybe?

membengal
07-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Well unlike Homer, EE has actually has had success in the big leagues before.

He's going up against one of the worst offenses in baseball, my point remains the same.

Bull pucky. EE, when he first came up (several years back), went through growing pains. Aplenty.

And you never hopped him like you hop Homer. Not even close. You quite rightfully mentioned that kids need time to grow and learn, and take their lumps.

But, for some reason, you find it sporting to not extend Bailey the same courtesy.

I don't get it. What's the difference, exactly?

Tony Cloninger
Too bad he got thrown out but that was such an obvious bad call......another stupid call and this time by a veteran ump....who as I know this ump from past years...is arrogant and you better not dare question the great Oz type of attitude. You get hosed enough times on calls...it makes you wonder what the deal is with these umps on Votto?

Look at the play....look once....look again.

Reds Fanatic
Rosales is in to play 1st.

reds44
Gomes to 1B, Hairston to LF?
Rosales in at 1B

CTA513
07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
No matter whether he actually went or not, Joey overreacted. That said, I want to know what he said that got him ejected. I'm not a fan of tossing a guy just because he shows you up.

Not sure what he said to get ejected but he let the ump know what he thought after he was ejected.

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
A nasty pitch by Homer. 2 Ks.

oneupper
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Does that count as "arguing strikes and balls" or is that just with the home plate ump?

HeatherC1212
Wow, I haven't seen Joey that mad about anything...well, ever. :eek: I don't think he was that mad when he got tossed after striking out in that other game. I don't blame him for being annoyed (I don't think he went all the way around either) but it sucks that he got thrown out of the game. I think that had been building during the road trip and he just lost it tonight after yet another umpiring issue. I hope he learns how to deal with things like this a little better (he's still young which we forget because he's so good) and I'm sure he'll do things differently when this happens again (and I'm sure it will at some point.)

guttle11
Thom just about went Bill Brasky when describing Josh Blanks. "A mountain of a man".

membengal
Doesn't matter, reds fanatic. The narrative has been set. If homer does well, it's because SD is the awful. If Homer gets hit, the bizarre gleeful pile-on can continue. Reds fans may deserve what they have to watch on a daily basis.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM

I get the impression from Thom that he got thrown out for throwing his helmet and bat and not for saying anything wrong. That doesn't mean he wasn't saying a few other things after he was all ready thrown out though, LOL :laugh:

reds44
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Bull pucky. EE, when he first came up (several years back), went through growing pains. Aplenty.

And you never hopped him like you hop Homer. Not even close. You quite rightfully mentioned that kids need time to grow and learn, and take their lumps.

But, for some reason, you find it sporting to not extend Bailey the same courtesy.

I don't get it. What's the difference, exactly?
In Edwin's first full season in the majors he OPS'd .831.

Now if you're talking about his 69 games in 2005, sure I think everybody would give him a pass.

Homer has spent time in the majors for parts of 3 seasons now and has a career ERA of 7 and has walked more than he has K'd. I cut him slack his first two season, but not anymore. He doesn't deserve it. He's just bad.

And again, all I said was if he can't get this lineup out...never said he wouldn't, never said I didn't want him to.

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
3 Ks for Bailey.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey, the Reds got a good call!! It's about time. ;)

alloverjr
07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
I think Votto got tossed because he tossed his helmet and bat - and a couple choice words too. He's a good player but I for one am getting tired of the Ramon Hernandez act - every call against him he has to pout and throw a tantrum. Reminds me of my 3 year old. Dusty needs to set him down and explain the adult world to him. He seems to have trouble with it and it costs his team each time he gets tossed.

Reds Fanatic
Taveras nails the runner at the plate on the single to center. 3-0 Reds mid 2nd.

membengal
Reds44: People KILLED Encarnacion on this board in 2005. KILLED him. And I stood with you in defending him, and mentioning that he needed time to acclimate.

Now, with Homer in a similar developmental posture, you go out of your way to absolutely knife him, every chance you get.

It makes no sense to me, on any level.

ETA: On top of that, it is beyond disingenuous to say Homer "has had parts of three seasons" in the majors. Laughable on every level. He was given rushed call-ups and brief looks in previous years. As in this one. The next time he has an extended opportunity to take his lumps and learn from it in the bigs will be his first.

reds44
Doesn't matter, reds fanatic. The narrative has been set. If homer does well, it's because SD is the awful. If Homer gets hit, the bizarre gleeful pile-on can continue. Reds fans may deserve what they have to watch on a daily basis.
Yes, the pile-on is "gleeful." I take joy in watching the Reds lose. Yes, that's it.

savafan
07-27-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't think I'd mind Taveras so much if he was hitting 8th in a good offensive lineup

Screwball
07-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Now if you're talking about his 69 games in 2005, sure I think everybody would give him a pass.

Homer has spent time in the majors for parts of 3 seasons now and has a career ERA of 7 and has walked more than he has K'd. I cut him slack his first two season, but not anymore. He doesn't deserve it. He's just bad.

And again, all I said was if he can't get this lineup out...never said he wouldn't, never said I didn't want him to.

You do realize Homer is 23 years old and is making his 24th career start, right? Right?

reds44
07-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Reds44: People KILLED Encarnacion on this board in 2005. KILLED him. And I stood with you in defending him, and mentioning that he needed time to acclimate.

Now, with Homer in a similar developmental posture, you go out of your way to absolutely knife him, every chance you get.

It makes no sense to me, on any level.

ETA: On top of that, it is beyond disingenuous to say Homer "has had three seasons" in the majors. Laughable on every level. At its most basic, an outright lie.
It's not similar.

And you can read my post again and see that it says "parts of three seasons." In what way is that a lie? Please, explain.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Hmmm, Joey getting tossed seems to have woken up the offense. Maybe someone should get tossed in every game, LOL ;)

Go Jonny!! :D

reds44
You do realize Homer is 23 years old and is making his 24th career start, right? Right?
Yes, and he has shown zero sign of any type of improvement at all. He's as bad today as he was when he came up.

Gomes goes yard. 4-0.

Reds Fanatic
Gomes with a long homer to left center. 4-0 Reds.

savafan
Gomes goes deep

4-0

membengal

Yes, you indeed said this. Thus setting the narrative. IF Homer pitches well, you shrug it off and make fun of the competition. If he gets hit, you continue the pile on.

Color me unimpressed.

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Geer has now allowed 26 HRs this year.

reds44
07-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes, you indeed said this. Thus setting the narrative. IF Homer pitches well, you shrug it off and make fun of the competition. If he gets hit, you continue the pile on.

Color me unimpressed.
No, that's not at all what I was saying. You took what I said how you wanted to take it.

I'm not rooting against Homer Bailey. Not at all.

PuffyPig
I don't think I'd mind Taveras so much if he was hitting 8th in a good offensive lineup

Maybe not so much, but he still has zero place starting in any lineup.

It would be different if he brought a GG defense to centre, but he's no where close to that.

membengal
It's not similar.

And you can read my post again and see that it says "parts of three seasons." In what way is that a lie? Please, explain.

I was editing that when you quoted it.

To call it "parts of three seasons" is equally disingenuous. He was rushed, he was rushed, and now we're here. At 23, the same age as Edwin when he first came up.

And, yeah, reds44, this board crushed EE. CRUSHED him in that initial look.

And then EE was given the fulltime look the next year. You know the next time that Homer starts the year with Cincy will be his first.

So, again, I call shenanigans on your relentless ragging on him.

membengal
07-27-2009, 07:50 PM
No, that's not at all what I was saying. You took what I said how you wanted to take it.

I'm not rooting against Homer Bailey. Not at all.

I will have to take your word for it, because your posts on ORG sure say different.

And, again, not at all the way you defended a young EE back in 2005 learning his way through the bigs one step at a time.

Stormy
07-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Hmmm, Joey getting tossed seems to have woken up the offense. Maybe someone should get tossed in every game, LOL ;)

Go Jonny!! :D

Yea, Joey is our MVP even when he's not on the field. :)

reds44

To call it "parts of three seasons" is equally disingenuous. He was rushed, he was rushed, and now we're here. At 23, the same age as Edwin when he first came up.

And then EE was given the fulltime look the next year. You know the next time that Homer starts the year with Cincy will be his first.

I know how old he is, I know how many starts he has had, I know he ws rushed, I know, I know, I know.

I also know that he has been nothing but bad since he came up, and hasn't shown one sign of improvement.

CTA513
I think Votto got tossed because he tossed his helmet and bat - and a couple choice words too. He's a good player but I for one am getting tired of the Ramon Hernandez act - every call against him he has to pout and throw a tantrum. Reminds me of my 3 year old. Dusty needs to set him down and explain the adult world to him. He seems to have trouble with it and it costs his team each time he gets tossed.

Maybe some players on the team feel they need to do the arguing since nobody else seems to do it for them?

joshnky
07-27-2009, 07:52 PM

Give it a break. I don't think this is an appropriate argument for a game thread. Its tough to tell what is going on in the game because of this.

reds44
07-27-2009, 07:52 PM
I will have to take your word for it, because your posts on ORG sure say different.

And, again, not at all the way you defended a young EE back in 2005 learning his way through the bigs one step at a time.
I really don't remember saying anything much about Encarnacion in 2005. Really don't. In 2006? Yeah, I defended him a lot because he gave me a reason to defend him. I'm not going to defend somebody I have no reason to defend.

Screwball
07-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes, and he has shown zero sign of any type of improvement at all. He's as bad today as he was when he came up.

If you can't see any improvement in Homer's stuff between now and in the past then you're trying to not see it. Besides, he's not a finished product. To be done with him at this point is simply laughable and shows very little understanding of just how sharp the learning curve is for young pitchers.

membengal
07-27-2009, 07:54 PM
I know how old he is, I know how many starts he has had, I know he ws rushed, I know, I know, I know.

I also know that he has been nothing but bad since he came up, and hasn't shown one sign of improvement.

Shenanigans on this as well. I was AT the stlouis/cincy game in which he flat dominated a darn fine MLB offense. And he followed that up with huge quality in Philly. And then, not surprisingly, he took lumps. AS ANY 23 YEAR OLD PITCHER tends to do. He throws between 94 and 97 with a curve in the 70s. He should get all the time in the world to learn how to consistently command that kind of stuff. It doesn't happen overnite. Far from it. Again, Edwin Jackson says "hi" from Detroit. And Curt Schilling who blossomed later in his career. Etc. etc. etc.

Guys with plus plus stuff like Bailey take time and patience. There will be ups and downs. So be it. Give the kid room to learn. Gracious.

_Sir_Charles_

Gomes goes yard. 4-0.

I can't disagree enough with this (well, not the Gomes part...he DID go yard). Yes, Homer got shelled against the Dodgers & the Brewers. But he looked freaking fantastic in both the 2 games prior to that (StL & Philly). He's gonna take some lumps, but he's CLEARLY got the stuff to succeed.

St. Louis outting: 7.1 ip / 3 hits / 2 runs / 2 bb / 5 k's / 104 pitches (70 for strikes) Lost the game, but certainly deserved better.
Philly outting: 6.0 ip / 7 hits / 2 runs / 0 bb / 6 k's / 1 hr / 95 pitches (65 for strikes) Another loss, and again should've got the W.

If that's "bad", then I'd love to see the whole staff be "bad".

savafan
Give it a break. I don't think this is an appropriate argument for a game thread. Its tough to tell what is going on in the game because of this.

:clap:

membengal
07-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Will do, josh. Sorry for the interlude.

Bailey is dealing. But it's only because San Diego is awful, apparently.

membengal
07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Gwynn grounds out, to complete a 1-2-3 third.

Three innings, one hit, one walk. Three Ks.

4-0 Reds.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Homer is pitching very well tonight which is nice to see after his last two outings. 4 Ks through three innings. :)

Red in Chicago
07-27-2009, 07:57 PM

Bingo. Move on boys. If you want to discuss the merits of EE and HB's development, start a separate thread in tORG.

reds44
Shenanigans on this as well. I was AT the stlouis/cincy game in which he flat dominated a darn fine MLB offense. And he followed that up with huge quality in Philly. And then, not surprisingly, he took lumps. AS ANY 23 YEAR OLD PITCHER tends to do. He throws between 94 and 97 with a curve in the 70s. He should get all the time in the world to learn how to consistently command that kind of stuff. It doesn't happen overnite. Far from it. Again, Edwin Jackson says "hi" from Detroit. And Curt Schilling who blossomed later in his career. Etc. etc. etc.

Guys with plus plus stuff like Bailey take time and patience. There will be ups and downs. So be it. Give the kid room to learn. Gracious.
IT WAS ONE START. You can't take anything from one start by anybody. Bud Smith threw a no hitter once. He pitched great in that start, but one or two good starts sandwhiched around abunch of crap.

It hasn't been ups and downs for Bailey. What Cueto went through last season, that was ups and downs, and he is in the middle of taking another step forward this season. What Homer has done has just been downs.

Reds Fanatic
A 1-2-3 inning for Bailey. I know this is a bad lineup he is facing but Bailey has good movement on his pitches tonight. He is through 3 on 41 pitches.

reds44
The Reds are winning.

I'm happy.

reds44
07-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Taveras-Gonzalez-Rosales is the top of the order.

Wooooooooooooow

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:01 PM
IT WAS ONE START.

2 actually. St Louis & Philly, back to back. Followed by 2 stinkers. That looks like ups & downs to me.

Stormy
Homer is pitching very well tonight which is nice to see after his last two outings. 4 Ks through three innings. :)

His delivery is very fluid tonight. His arm velocity is deceptive on his off speed pitches, and he's got pretty solid command and late action on all 3 primary pitches (he's actually thrown 5 tonight). He deserves to be pitching every 5th day for the rest of the season, and hopefully consistency will develop in the process. You could tell he was going to be on tonight from watching him face his first batter.

reds44
I thought the start in Philly was better than the one in St. Louis.

But I hate Homer Bailey.

savafan
07-27-2009, 08:03 PM

But I hate Homer Bailey.

ENOUGH!!!

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:04 PM
4-0 Reds heading to the top of the 4th.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Cabrera grounds to Rosie at first for 1 down.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Gonzales up *holds breath* There's only one guy in this lineup I worry about...this'd be the dude.

Tony Cloninger
07-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Fred Norman
Clay Kirby
Chris Welsh?

hebroncougar
07-27-2009, 08:07 PM

For a whopping 23 games. That's the equivalent of a position player playing about 110 total games in 3 years. Give him time, heck no one can know if he's any good at the ML level with less than 2/3 of a season under his belt. Check out Roy Halladay's age 23 season, or Jason Schmidt, or on and on............ Some guys it takes a while to figure out, and if you don't give them a chance, you won't know. With the money the Reds have invested in him, it's time they let him pitch. Heck, this season is gone as is.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Gonzales with a double into the corner. I hate it when I'm right.

Red in Chicago
07-27-2009, 08:10 PM

But I hate Homer Bailey.

Last warning. Give it a rest or take a break from the game thread.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 08:11 PM
When did Willy Tavaras get an arm to be throwing out runners?! :eek:

reds44
A. Taveras has thrown 2 guys out.
B. What was Gonzalez doing?

_Sir_Charles_
Man, Homer is really bringing the heat tonight. Pretty consistantly in the upper 90's. I also love the change of speeds. 97, 74, 88, 96. Talk about keeping hitters off balance. I love it!

WOW! Deep flyout to Taveras and then he guns down Gonzales trying for 3rd. Nice DP!

savafan
2 Outfield assists by Taveras tonight!

Stormy
90MPH slider out of the stretch, Brantley was impressed by it as well. Brantley nailing it regarding Homer's propensity to get out in front of himself, too. Good job, and a great throw by WillyT to nail Gonzo at 3rd.

End of 4th, 4-0

CTA513
Taveras showing off his gun tonight.

Matt700wlw
Who's playing center wearing some other uniform?

Reds Fanatic
Wow Taveras threw another runner out. He makes the catch on the edge of the warning track and then throws Gonzalez out at 3rd.

reds44
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
EE goes upper deck.

5-0

Matt700wlw
:ede:

:jump:

_Sir_Charles_
EE with a BOMB! 5-0 Redlegs! 2nd deck shot

Tony Cloninger
Willy T channeling Clemente...Mike Anderson.... and Jesse Barfield.

Reds Fanatic
Edwin homers. The 3rd Reds homer tonight. 5-0 Reds!

RBA
07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Thom, "You said it Cowboy, he was going to get it ROLEN".

Or was it Rollin? ;)

_Sir_Charles_
Laynce HBP. Intentional? He went inside on him the pitch earlier too.

Stormy
Way to go EdE. I've felt pretty strongly that we are getting ready to go on a small winning spree, but how will the timing impact Walt's strategy around the deadline. I hope we don't move EdE for Rolen, as I think EdE will out produce him from here on out, and next year, at less the cost.

HeatherC1212
Aww dangit, I missed Edwin hitting a HR. I'll gladly take some extra runs in this game as long as they hold onto a few for the rest of the series, LOL :laugh:

Stormy
07-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Thom, "You said it Cowboy, he was going to get it ROLEN".

Or was it Rollin? ;)

How fitting.

Tony Cloninger
07-27-2009, 08:17 PM
The Reds have taken heed of BobC's NO SALE mandate.

membengal
07-27-2009, 08:18 PM
90MPH slider out of the stretch, Brantley was impressed by it as well. Brantley nailing it regarding Homer's propensity to get out in front of himself, too. Good job, and a great throw by WillyT to nail Gonzo at 3rd.

End of 4th, 4-0

Absolutely stormy. That was a really interesting bit of analysis from Brantley coupled with the pic of him in his throwing motion off the mound.

Brantley drives me nuts when he is PBP on the radio, but that was really quality analysis. And it's a reminder why Homer pitches with such maddening inconsistency.

Nice to see Willy T with some quality defense in CF tonite.

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Tatum walks. 1st and 2nd with 1 out.

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Bailey sacrifices and advances the runners to 2nd and 3rd.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Could we kidnap Bud Black and have him manage the Reds?! I've liked him since he was with the Angels and I think he'd be outstanding for the Reds. :) (And yes I know that's totally random but it was just a thought, LOL)

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Taveras pops out to 2nd. 5-0 Reds after 4.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Blanks with a double off the wall. Just missed a dinger.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Max's kid grounds to Brandon for the out, but Blanks advances to third.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Rodriguez with a single to left to score the runner. (or is that "to score a point"?) 5-1 Reds.

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Nice to see Bailey throwing some strikes tonight.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Alfonso flies out to Gomes for the 2nd out.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Drew Macias PH'ing

Shows off warning track power to Nix. 5-1 Reds in the middle of 5

Bailey at 77 pitches. 4 hits / 1 run / 1 bb / 4 k's.

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Could Tatum be Homer's Crash Davis?

Matt700wlw
07-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Rodriguez with a single to left to score the runner. (or is that "to score a point"?) 5-1 Reds.

That depends on if you ask Bob Boone, or everybody else

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:38 PM
That depends on if you ask Bob Boone, or everybody else

Hehe. True. I was actually referring to Brantley at the beginning of the game saying it.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Crud. I just lost my video feed. Anybody else want to take over PBP? I've still got audio though.

Raisor
07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Taveras showing off his gun tonight.

that's no pop gun, that's his...

wait.

nevermind.

_Sir_Charles_
Phillips reaches first on the dropped strikeout.

_Sir_Charles_
Edwin grounded out to end the inning.

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Phillips is lucky that rolled to the wall or else Dusty would have to find a spot for him on the bench again.

Raisor
07-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Phillips reaches first on the dropped strikeout.

productive non-out!

Tony Cloninger
07-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I would have liked to have seen what Dusty would have done to BP had he not run that out. Do you think he would have pulled him right off the field?

Reds Fanatic
Cabrera with his first major league HR. 5-2 Reds.

_Sir_Charles_
Cabrera with his first MLB dinger. Crushed to right. 5-2 Reds.

HokieRed
07-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Going to need a couple more runs.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Homer gives up a homer but at least it was only a solo shot.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Gonzales with a dinger to left. Crud. Back to back to make it 5-3.

HeatherC1212
OK, that's not cool at all. It may be bullpen time soon. :eek:

Stormy

You spoke too soon. ;)

Reds Fanatic
Uh oh. Back to back homers as Gonzalez homers. 5-3 Reds.

Raisor
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM

I wish they would have called him "Grounder to Short" instead of "Homer".

(Tip your wait staff)

HokieRed
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
At least he's probably pitching himself out of going to Toronto in a deal for Rolen.

Stormy
07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
At least he's probably pitching himself out of going to Toronto in a deal for Rolen.

What does that mean? You mean he's demonstrating his value to the Reds (which he is), or that he's diminishing another team's interest?

membengal
07-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Serious question for anyone lurking...jeff brantley for pitching coach. Why not? It is where his analysis excels at any rate.

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 08:55 PM
The way Bailey has been pitching lately if he can go 6 and allow 3 earned runs I will take it.

HokieRed
07-27-2009, 08:56 PM
What does that mean? You mean he's demonstrating his value to the Reds (which he is), or that he's diminishing another team's interest?

It was a joke but the general thought was that he'd not be making a favorable impression on Toronto scouts, if they're there, as rumored. I don't want to see Homer traded. I still think he's a very important part of this staff for 2010 and beyond.

HeatherC1212
Good job by Homer to get out of the inning. I think he can build on this solid start for next time he takes the mound too so hats off to him. :)

KoryMac5
Serious question for anyone lurking...jeff brantley for pitching coach. Why not? It is where his analysis excels at any rate.

I do enjoy listening to Brantley talk pitching and mechanics, other stuff not so much. The question is would he be interested in coaching.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM

(Tip your wait staff)

Oh my goodness, that was lame but I laughed anyway, LOL :laugh:

Stormy
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Way to bounce back and finish the inning strong. Frankly, I thought that was a very solid pitch that Gonzo took out, even if it was slightly elevated. Downward bite, moving away from him with 2 strikes... that's just a great HR hitter turning around a very mild mistake.

Stormy
07-27-2009, 08:58 PM
It was a joke but the general thought was that he'd not be making a favorable impression on Toronto scouts, if they're there, as rumored. I don't want to see Homer traded. I still think he's a very important part of this staff for 2010 and beyond.

Just clarifying. I think he's potentially important to our future, as well. But I think plenty of scouts would be impressed by the stuff he showed tonight.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 08:58 PM

(Tip your wait staff)

Raisor...you really should be FORCED to do the gamethread EVERY night. If nothing else, you're entertaining as hell. :O)

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Gomes with his 2nd HR of the night. 6-3 Reds.

_Sir_Charles_
Gomes with a 2nd dinger of the night. A long-ball festivus for the restivus. Considering our park, it's been a rare sight this year.

HeatherC1212
Sweet!! Go Jonny!!! :D

How nice to see the guys looking a little more on fire in the dugout too. Maybe Joey really did wake them up tonight! :)

Stormy
Gomes showing Dusty he deserves more PT versus RHP, though at this rate of attrition he'll be playing all 3 OF positions. 6-3 Reds

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Homer's hitting? Not sure I follow that one...but okay.

Nevermind. I get it. Short bench...no need to waste a ph'er. I'd still pull him for a reliver.

TheBurn
07-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah Jonny Boy! :cool:

Reds Fanatic
Homer is already at 103 pitches.

Raisor
Raisor...you really should be FORCED to do the gamethread EVERY night. If nothing else, you're entertaining as hell. :O)

It's not me, it's my meds talking.

Three "uppers" one "downer" every day makes me a bit goofy.

OK, I've always been a bit goofy.

Stormy

Why keep him in past the 100+ pitch threshold, when he just battled his way out of a tough inning to end on a very successful note? Nothing left to prove here, and nothing good can come from it, even if he emerges unscathed from the 7th.

HeatherC1212
Gomes showing Dusty he deserves more PT versus RHP, though at this rate of attrition he'll be playing all 3 OF positions. 6-3 Reds

I totally agree about the playing time but let's not put that other idea out in the atmosphere with the way our players are dropping to injuries right now. :eek:

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 09:03 PM

The Dusty might be bringing him back for the 7th, questionable move.

_Sir_Charles_
Okay, fine. Your pharmacist should be required to do the gamethread every night. :O)

Homer Bailey
Why keep him in past the 100+ pitch threshold, when he just battled his way out of a tough inning to end on a very successful note? Nothing left to prove here, and nothing good can come from it, even if he emerges unscathed from the 7th.

DB. That is all.

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Gomes playing himself into a deadline deal or a better contract for next season.

Tony Cloninger
07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I will say I Do Not like it. This is why Dusty and Dick get questioned when it comes to the handling of the pitchers. He is clearly done and there is no need to extend him. If he had gone 1-2-3 with a couple of SO...i would agree....and considering the state of the bullpen....it would be a good call.

However right now ....i could see Homer laboring to get through this inning.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Yep. He's back out there for the 7th. Not a horible move, but I'd certainly keep him on a short leash.

1 pitch out from Venable.

mbgrayson

I would like to see Brantley back in uniform, just so he won't show up in the booth in that clown outfit he is wearing tonight....white shirt with thick black stripes, and an orange tie with a circular pattern on it.

HeatherC1212
Nice play by Homer and Rosales. Not sure if I agree with bringing him back out there but maybe it will work out. He really only had one rough inning overall.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:06 PM
2 pitch out to Rodriguez. 2 down. So far it looks like a good decision by Dusty to let him leave on a more settled note.

97 mph to Alfonso. He certainly hasn't lost any stuff. And a quick 1-2-3 for Homer with the fly out by Alfonso. Take a seat young man, nice outting.

Stormy
07-27-2009, 09:06 PM
This might just work out for Dusty. A quick inning against this portion of the lineup would be just what the doctor ordered... well, that and some valium for raisor.

Brutus
07-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Though his rate stats would go down playing every day, look at this line this year:

119 AB
35 H
.294 BA
10 HR - 23 RBI
13 BB
.380 OBP / .605 SLG / .985 OPS
.323 GPA

That's real nice. Project that out over 600 PA's, and even expecting a slight drop-off facing righties every day, that's a great season.

HeatherC1212
Nice job Homer!! *claps* :)

Reds Fanatic
A 6 pitch inning for Bailey. A really solid start by Homer tonight.

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Nice inning by Homer, looked like he was throwing free and easy.

Tony Cloninger
Whatever! ;)

That was real impressive considering how he labored. See! I told you he needed to be extended in order to grow as a pitcher. :rolleyes:

_Sir_Charles_
Though his rate stats would go down playing every day, look at this line this year:

119 AB
35 H
.294 BA
10 HR - 23 RBI
13 BB
.323 GPA

That's real nice. Project that out over 600 PA's, and even expecting a slight drop-off facing righties every day, that's a great season.

Who is that? Gomes?

Brutus
07-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Who is that? Gomes?

Yes. Forgot to actually throw his name in there, lol.

Caveat Emperor
07-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Every start isn't going to be perfect for Homer -- some of them are going to look ugly -- but that's just what you have to expect when you're developing a young pitcher. Better to get the ugly starts out of the way now and get him ready to be a fixture in the rotation in 2010.

A lot of this club's fortunes rest on his arm next year.

Raisor
07-27-2009, 09:10 PM
This might just work out for Dusty. A quick inning against this portion of the lineup would be just what the doctor ordered... well, that and some valium for raisor.

My meds laugh at valium.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
My meds laugh at valium.

You have pills with the ability to physically laugh? Damn! Those ARE potent. :D

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 09:13 PM
You have pills with the ability to physically laugh? Damn! Those ARE potent. :D

Can I borrow those pills for when I have to go to work!? :D

Stormy
07-27-2009, 09:13 PM

119 AB
35 H
.294 BA
10 HR - 23 RBI
13 BB
.323 GPA

Undoubtedly the best flier Walt has taken, to date. Gomes is exactly the type of extra OF you want on a team like this. Plenty of power, good platton splits, ability to start against RHP as well when needed. I hope he's back, though I contend we still need a major RHH power bat added from outside the organization.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Rosales juuuuuuuust misses one. 2 down.

Stormy
07-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Can I borrow those pills for when I have to go to work!? :D

Not if you're operating heavy machinery.

Stormy
07-27-2009, 09:18 PM
My meds laugh at valium.

Personifying our medications again, are we? We've talked about this before phil, they're not action figures.

Homer back out for the 8th inning? Maybe we aren't relying upon his arm for the future after all??

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Whoa, more Homer?! He better be on a very short leash!! :eek:

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 09:19 PM
They still have Homer out there at 109 pitches. I don't agree with this at all.

HumnHilghtFreel
How many pitches for Bailey so far?

membengal
Um, hmmm. More homer? Wow.

Brutus
Undoubtedly the best flier Walt has taken, to date. Gomes is exactly the type of extra OF you want on a team like this. Plenty of power, good platton splits, ability to start against RHP as well when needed. I hope he's back, though I contend we still need a major RHH power bat added from outside the organization.

I agree with you as of now, though I've been slowly changing my mind on that. Right now, even against right-handers, he's OPS'ing over .850 with a .350 OBP and over .500 slugging. If he's able to continue that kind of production against right-handed pitchers, he's a real solid candidate to be an everyday left fielder.

But you're right, even if not, he's a perfect fourth outfielder.

_Sir_Charles_
Wow. Homer's back out again. I'm not concerned about his pitch count at all here. He was throwing for more down in Louisville.

After 1 down, Dusty's coming to get him. Great job by Homer tonight. Other than those 2 pitches in the 6th, great outing.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Not if you're operating heavy machinery.

I work in customer service so medication is a requirement, LOL :laugh:

Very nice round of applause for Homer and I kind of like that Dusty did that for him. Good job Homer! :)

guttle11
07-27-2009, 09:20 PM
I think Cowboy's on to something. Did Dusty leave Homer in simply to get a deserved standing ovation?

Reds Fanatic
07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Homer finishes at 111 pitches.

7.1 IP, 6H, 3ER, 1BB, 4K. A really solid night from Homer.

Rhodes in to pitch.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:22 PM
I think Cowboy's on to something. Did Dusty leave Homer in simply to get a deserved standing ovation?

I think so. Despite the pretty constant ragging on Dusty, he's a pretty nice class act IMO. And he's handled the staff beautifully.

membengal
07-27-2009, 09:22 PM
dusty has homer on his fantasy team, and was trying to lower his in-game WHIP. Pretty cagey, dusty...

Homer Bailey
07-27-2009, 09:23 PM

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73471&highlight=sign+johnny+gomes

It's amazing that RZ was all over the fact that this was a great move, and all over the fact that WT was such a bad signing. If only they would listen to us.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow, nice play by Tatum. :)

Homer Bailey
07-27-2009, 09:24 PM

Caring more about the feelings of his players than the actual results. Some say its a strength, but I think it's a huge pitfall.

SirFelixCat
07-27-2009, 09:25 PM

That sounds like something Dusty would do.

Regardless, VERY happy w/ the outing by Homer tonight. Sux that I couldn't see it (thanks to those wonderful 6 teams that are blacked out here in Vegas apl;gihsg;lng;algknalfnareuqro!!! Hey, at least we're moving for next season!!!

:beerme: for Homer!

membengal
07-27-2009, 09:26 PM
That sounds like something Dusty would do.

Regardless, VERY happy w/ the outing by Homer tonight. Sux that I couldn't see it (thanks to those wonderful 6 teams that are blacked out here in Vegas apl;gihsg;lng;algknalfnareuqro!!! Hey, at least we're moving for next season!!!

:beerme: for Homer!

Dude. Stop your complaining. Simply fly to Cincy and buy a ticket. Sheesh...

KoryMac5
I would like to see Tatum catch Bailey a bit more too as I think he called a pretty good game.

_Sir_Charles_
Nice hustling triple by Cabrera. Nearly nailed by Edwin. That kid's got some wheels.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 09:27 PM
How many Cabreras are there in MLB now?! I swear there's hundreds, LOL :laugh:

guttle11
07-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Caring more about the feelings of his players than the actual results. Some say its a strength, but I think it's a huge pitfall.

I don't think that conundrum has a right/wrong conclusion.

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Nox showing me he needs a day off.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:28 PM

LOL. It sure does seem that way. :O)

membengal
07-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Nox showing me he needs a day off.

Or that he simply needs to pull his head out of his nox.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:32 PM
For those interested....

Cards 3 Dodgers 1 bottom of 7
Astros 1 Cubs 1 top of 7
Nats 1 Brewers 2 top of 5 (bases jacked for Nats)
Pirates late

Stormy
07-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Yea, that might not normally be the right criteria, but in this case it could certainly be a nice boost to a kid whose confidence is likely derived from knowing the staff believes in him. In retrospect, Homer has to feel better about working deeper and ending on a more proficient note, rather than scuffling through the 6th inning.

Stormy
07-27-2009, 09:33 PM

I don't know, but that kid's so fast he could be 3 of them all by himself.

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Nix is Noxed as he K's against Thatcher, tough lefty to face though.

Stormy
Or that he simply needs to pull his head out of his nox.

Yea, he is nox playing well.

KoryMac5
Gomes going for his 3rd home run.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Jonny draws the free pass, Tatum up.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Tatum pops out to end the inning. 6-3 Reds after 8.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Okay, I spoke too soon on those scores.

Quickly it's 6-1 Cards and 6-2 Nats. Big scoring almost at the exact same time.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Cordero in to pitch the ninth and Hairston in right for Gomes.

M2
Yea, that might not normally be the right criteria, but in this case it could certainly be a nice boost to a kid whose confidence is likely derived from knowing the staff believes in him. In retrospect, Homer has to feel better about working deeper and ending on a more proficient note, rather than scuffling through the 6th inning.

And Bailey's a kid whose confidence routinely fails him. Sending him to the showers on a positive is good man management. Even if this is against a glorified AAA lineup, it's still a strong start and it gets him off the schneid he'd been on the previous two games.

SirFelixCat
Dude. Stop your complaining. Simply fly to Cincy and buy a ticket. Sheesh...

My bad ;)

RedsManRick
07-27-2009, 09:39 PM
If this is the starting lineup we've got, Gomes should be batting a lot higher than 7th. I'd like to see him bat 2nd and put that OBP to good use. He can move pretty well on the bases, so it's not like he's clogging them up. And it's not like there are OBP guys batting 4th, 5th, and 6th for him to drive in.

Reds Fanatic
Kouzmanoff leads off the 9th with a HR. 6-4 Reds.

RedsManRick
And Bailey's a kid whose confidence routinely fails him. Sending him to the showers on a positive is good man management. Even if this is against a glorified AAA lineup, it's still a strong start and it gets him off the schneid he'd been on the previous two games.

7.1 IP. 1 BB. If Bailey keeps doing that, he'll be ok.

_Sir_Charles_
Kouz with a dinger. Not exactly the way for Cordero to start the ninth. Taveras had a legit shot at swiping that homer.

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:41 PM
It seems like forever since Cordero's been in the game for a save.

Deep fly out to Hairston for out #1

RedsManRick
Amazing how tolerable the homers are when you are walking guys ahead of them.

Reds Fanatic
Blanks flies out to right. 1 out.

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Kouzmanoff is rumored to be available too.

HeatherC1212
It seems like forever since Cordero's been in the game for a save.

Deep fly out to Hairston for out #1

That's because it has been forever. I think he only pitched one time during the road trip and that wasn't in a save situation. :eek:

_Sir_Charles_
IF pop out to Gonzo. 2 down.

HeatherC1212
07-27-2009, 09:43 PM
REDS WIN!!! :jump:

_Sir_Charles_
And this one belongs to the Reds. THANK GOODNESS! Nice W for Homer. Let's hope this is the begining of the turnaround.

Reds Fanatic
Rodriguez flies out to left and the Reds break the losing streak. Reds win 6-4! :beerme:

_Sir_Charles_
07-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Nice GT guys. I enjoyed it tonight. G'nite all.

TheBurn
07-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Good job Homer! :thumbup:

KoryMac5
07-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Nice way to bounce back after a terrible trip. Good to see Homer last deep into this game.

M2
07-27-2009, 09:52 PM
7.1 IP. 1 BB. If Bailey keeps doing that, he'll be ok.

He won't, but the manager needs to let kids build confidence against clubs like the Padres and Giants in the hopes they can parlay that into something more positive when facing major league lineups.

traderumor
07-27-2009, 10:13 PM
On Votto, Crawford was combative as well. He showed just as little self-control as the player, so his throwing out the player was cheesy in light of him coming down the line. Make the call and walk away. But, most umps, when they make a close call, bait the players into elevating their anger with the call that went against them into a tirade by barking back or getting in their face or staring them down as they walk away, or watching them in the dugout. Well, except for Milton Bradley.

Homer pitched with confidence tonight. He threw some recognizable splitters that resulted in outs and he kept the hitters off balance. Yes, it was a pathetic lineup, but he kept the ball out of the middle of the plate and challenged them. He deserves an atta boy for that.

Gomes will probably go the way of Jorge Cantu. The Reds will let him go because he wants a modest contract and pay some junk the same or more in the end out of desperation. Lather, rinse, repeat.

CTA513
07-28-2009, 12:25 AM
I only saw about 5 innings of the game before I had to leave, but it was good to see Homer step up and help stop the Reds losing streak.

WVRedsFan
07-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Good outing for Homer. Good game for the Reds. We just have to remember it's against the Padres and move on. Lots of stuff to build on unlke the road trip. I feel good tonight. I hope it's not fool's gold.

Ron Madden
07-28-2009, 05:00 AM

I wish he woulda stayed at ESPN. ;)

Ron Madden
07-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Homer pitched a pretty good game. :beerme:

Like to see Gomes hit higher than 7th in the lineup.

It feels good to win one for a change. :thumbup:

traderumor
07-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I will say that Laynce Nix needs replaced before next year.

westofyou
07-28-2009, 10:24 AM
He won't, but the manager needs to let kids build confidence against clubs like the Padres and Giants in the hopes they can parlay that into something more positive when facing major league lineups.

Yep, I expect him to beat the snot out of weak sticked clubs, I should hope he does great against them if he has the talent that he is supposed to have.

Caveat Emperor
07-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Yep, I expect him to beat the snot out of weak sticked clubs, I should hope he does great against them if he has the talent that he is supposed to have.

It's a step up from where he was last year, where he couldn't beat any sticked clbus.

At this point, he needs to pitch out the rest of the season and get innings and experience under his belt for 2010.

lollipopcurve
07-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Let's recall that Homer is 23. Inconsistency is to be expected. He's faced a lot of tough lineups so far, and in some cases pitched well (Phillies game) -- this was the first weak lineup he's faced.

He's made major strides this year. Better than I'd thought he'd be, so I give him credit.