PDA

View Full Version : Chain Reaction

travisgrimes
07-28-2009, 03:12 PM
I went into deep thought into what trades the Reds should make (trying to get my mind off my current situation) and figured out a trade or two could really cause some good things to happen for 2010. So I came up with three trades the Reds should make and the chain reaction that follows.

1. Cincinnati Reds trade SP Aaron Harang, RP Arthur Rhodes and cash to the Philadelphia Phillies for OF Michael Taylor, SP J.A. Happ and a PTBNL. CHAIN REACTION: This allows the Reds to not only fill the rotation spot left by Harang, but also get their future power hitting LF and frees up some cash. And by doing those things, Yonder Alonso and Matt Maloney are now officially trade bait to maybe pick up a major league ready SS.

2. Cincinnati Reds trade CL Francisco Cordero and OF Drew Stubbs to the Los Angeles Dodgers for CF Matt Kemp, SS Dee Gordon and a PTBNL. CHAIN REACTION: By trading Cordero to the Dodgers we get a future star in Kemp, maybe our future SS and also once again free up money. Now that Kemp will man CF for us for years to come Chris Heisey nows becomes another person we can trade for a weakness.

3. Cincinnati Reds trade 3B Edwin Encarnacion and SP Matt Maloney to the Toronto Blue Jays for 3B Scott Rolen. CHAIN REACTION: With the Reds getting Rolen we now have a GG caliber 3B and a guy who is more consistant at the plate than EdE. And it gives Frazier and Francisco one more year in the minors to see who really is the better player and starter at 3B for the Reds in 2011. The one who loses out on that battle can be traded with Alonson/Maloney for the SS we need.

mound_patrol
07-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I like the ideas, but I'm pretty skeptical of the first trade idea. I dont think the Phillies will give up that much for Harang and Rhodes. As far as move 2, I can't honestly say if the Dodgers would be for that or not. I just know they highly value Kemp(he's our Bruce). Also I dont know if Cordero would accept the trade to go there and be a set up man, but again I have no idea on that or not. Trade three would be great if we got something close to what you proposed in the first two.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
All are completely out of the realm of possibility.

Captain Hook
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Deep thought or deep sleep?

1.Phillies aren't including J.A. Happ in a trade involving Harang.Happ is actually pitching better the Aaron this year.Why would they want to downgrade?

2.The Dodgers have a closer.Why would they trade one of the best young outfielders in baseball for a position they have covered?

3.Might happen.Wouldn't include Maloney unless Tor. paid 1/2 Rolens salary in 2010.I could also see Alonso being included in a trade that gets the Reds a top flight SS.

travisgrimes
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM
obviously the dodgers arent that high on Kemp since he's batting over .300 with 13 home runs and over 50 RBIs and their batting him 8TH I believe... and the Phillies are pretty desperate for pitching and with Carrasco and Drabek almost ready in the minor J.A. Happ becomes the forgotten man really

mound_patrol
07-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Deep thought or deep sleep?

1.Phillies aren't including J.A. Happ in a trade involving Harang.Happ is actually pitching better the Aaron this year.Why would they want to downgrade?

2.The Dodgers have a closer.Why would they trade one of the best young outfielders in baseball for a position they have covered?

3.Might happen.Wouldn't include Maloney unless Tor. paid 1/2 Rolens salary in 2010.I could also see Alonso being included in a trade that gets the Reds a top flight SS.

Well Happ may have better numbers but most would agree he's pitching above his talent and is really only a number 3 or 4 type pitcher. You could also argue that Harang is only a number 3 type pitcher anymore. Overall I agree and say that the Phillies wouldn't do that. Probably wouldn't do Harang for Happ straight up. And trade two could happen if the reds included one of Dickerson, Heisey, or Stubbs.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 03:48 PM
obviously the dodgers arent that high on Kemp since he's batting over .300 with 13 home runs and over 50 RBIs and their batting him 8TH I believe... and the Phillies are pretty desperate for pitching and with Carrasco and Drabek almost ready in the minor J.A. Happ becomes the forgotten man really

I think kemp batting 8th is because Joe Torre is Dusty Bakers long lost brother.

mound_patrol
07-28-2009, 04:19 PM
I think kemp batting 8th is because Joe Torre is Dusty Bakers long lost brother.

And they also have a really good lineup. If Torre was coaching the Reds and we'll say we have Kemp instead of fast Willy I would guarantee he'd be batting much higher than 8th.

GIDP
07-28-2009, 04:48 PM
And they also have a really good lineup. If Torre was coaching the Reds and we'll say we have Kemp instead of fast Willy I would guarantee he'd be batting much higher than 8th.

A really good line up doesn't excuse him batting 8th. He has hit 6th or lower almost 300 times this year despite having the highest OPS+ of the team outside of Manny.

Its insane that he has hit so low in the order for so long.

JayBruce
07-28-2009, 05:00 PM

Dude, the Phillies won't part with Happ in a trade for Roy Halladay. Why would they swap him for a guy who is older, more expensive, and less productive? Harang for Taylor and Carlos Carrasco might be reasonable, but even that may be asking too much.

Also, no way the Dodgers are letting their future star centerfielder go for a closer. Absolutely no way.

mound_patrol
07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Dude, the Phillies won't part with Happ in a trade for Roy Halladay. Why would they swap him for a guy who is older, more expensive, and less productive? Harang for Taylor and Carlos Carrasco might be reasonable, but even that may be asking too much.

Also, no way the Dodgers are letting their future star centerfielder go for a closer. Absolutely no way.

Well actually the Phillies wont trade Happ and Drabeck plus others for Halladay. By no means is it just Happ holding them up.

BigPoppa
07-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Well, let's swap brothers for a while and see what happens ! :D

BigPoppa
07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
I went into deep thought into what trades the Reds should make (trying to get my mind off my current situation) and figured out a trade or two could really cause some good things to happen for 2010. So I came up with three trades the Reds should make and the chain reaction that follows.

1. Cincinnati Reds trade SP Aaron Harang, RP Arthur Rhodes and cash to the Philadelphia Phillies for OF Michael Taylor, SP J.A. Happ and a PTBNL. CHAIN REACTION: This allows the Reds to not only fill the rotation spot left by Harang, but also get their future power hitting LF and frees up some cash. And by doing those things, Yonder Alonso and Matt Maloney are now officially trade bait to maybe pick up a major league ready SS.

2. Cincinnati Reds trade CL Francisco Cordero and OF Drew Stubbs to the Los Angeles Dodgers for CF Matt Kemp, SS Dee Gordon and a PTBNL. CHAIN REACTION: By trading Cordero to the Dodgers we get a future star in Kemp, maybe our future SS and also once again free up money. Now that Kemp will man CF for us for years to come Chris Heisey nows becomes another person we can trade for a weakness.

3. Cincinnati Reds trade 3B Edwin Encarnacion and SP Matt Maloney to the Toronto Blue Jays for 3B Scott Rolen. CHAIN REACTION: With the Reds getting Rolen we now have a GG caliber 3B and a guy who is more consistant at the plate than EdE. And it gives Frazier and Francisco one more year in the minors to see who really is the better player and starter at 3B for the Reds in 2011. The one who loses out on that battle can be traded with Alonson/Maloney for the SS we need.

Am I reading this wrong, or in Trade # 3 are you dealing Maloney away twice ? Trading him with Encarnacion and then again with Frazier or Francisco and Alonso ?