PDA

View Full Version : A Query for Dog Lovers and Vets

wheels
07-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I have a ten year old, 90 + pound pit bull. I rescued him when he was six months old. All the while he's been riddled with illness. Diabetes, hypothyroidism, and he's had cataracts removed.

At a recent checkup the vet voiced concern about various lumps on his belly chest and leg.

She believes he's got mast cell cancer. I trust her, but we both agreed not to test him. If it is cancer, the only option would be chemo. At his age, I don't consider that to be an option. We gave him clavamox for two weeks, and I am still giving him prednazone and benadryl.

Am I doing the right thing? I just can't put him through more crap, and chemo will make him miserable.

He eats a ton but is still slowly losing weight. Other than drowsiness from the benadryl, he's acting normal. He swam for two hours sunday, for example.

Is there anything else I can do to keep him comfortable for as long as possible?

TRF
07-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Can your vet determine the amount of pain he's in if any?

dabvu2498
07-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Dogs have a way of letting you know when it is their time. Do what you can for him medically, within reason. But you will know when his quality of life has turned.

wheels
07-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Can your vet determine the amount of pain he's in if any?

She doesn't seem to think he's in much pain, and I think I can tell.

He's always been sort of a grumbly old guy, though. He's very vocal anyway, so I bet I'd know if it got really bad.

Is it unrealistic to think he might be able to make it another year?

I feed him anything I want now. He loves that. I'm doing my best to just spoil the crap out of him from now on.

I just really hope I'm not giving up on him too easily. The life expectancy of a dog his size is something like 7-9 years, add to that the appaling Michael Vick like situation he was in, and all of the in breeding that was sure to have been going on there....It's a wonder he's made it this long, I guess.

Dogs....I keep loving them, and then they die too soon. And to think Parrots live for 50 years. Something's not fair about that.

wheels
07-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Dogs have a way of letting you know when it is their time. Do what you can for him medically, within reason. But you will know when his quality of life has turned.

You're right.

I lived out the country growing up and I've had twenty or more dogs (it was hard to keep track sometimes). It seems like they all just knew it was time, and went off to die. It was the strangest thing.

I really wish Casey and I lived out in the country right about now. I don't know how I'm going to handle it.

dabvu2498
07-29-2009, 02:49 PM
You're right. I lived out the country growing up and I've had twenty or more dogs (it was hard to keep track sometimes). It seems like they all just knew it was time, and went off to die. It was the strangest thing. I really wish Casey and I lived out in the country right about now. I don't know how I'm going to handle it. Nothing quite like an old country dog that just disappears when it is time. They do seem to know a thing or 2 about dignity. I thought I was going to be in your shoes the past few days with a dog that would not eat. Turns out she had been eating green apples that had fallen in the back yard. Anyway, you are doing the right thing. Spoil him and keep an eye out.

dabvu2498
07-29-2009, 02:51 PM
And keep rescuing them!

Deepred05
07-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Speaking as a person who just spent 7K last week for my two dogs, I would say you are doing the right thing. Had I known about the expense before finding out what was wrong with them, I would have taken their age into consideration. I cannot remember dogs being so expensive in my youth.

Spazzrico
07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
You're doing the right thing. I had a beloved cat who basically went through the same thing. He was never in pain, eventually he just started to waste away. We put him down when he started to not be able to jump up on furniture anymore and we knew he was close. He ate up until his final day. I'd say when he stops eating and if obviously weak, and generally know he isn't acting like himself, he's telling you it's time. Sorry to hear about this, it's a terrible feeling.

redsfanmia
07-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I just took my 11 year old Akita to the vet for a mass on her chest this morning. The vet said he thought it was just a fatty mass that had accumulated because of age, I was very relieved. I feel for you Wheels, as my dog's live expectancy is 9 to 12 years so she is approaching the time and I am dreading that day and the ensuing weeks when its time.

MWM
07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
What dabvu said.

I've been surprised that some of the most ardent of dog lovers that I know that are very involved in the cause, are also the ones who are more willing to advise in favor of putting a dog down when they get to a certain point. I can't tell you what the right decision is here, but you dn't have to feel any guilt if you decide to go down that path. The fact that you're posing this question and agonizing over the decision shows that you truly care deeply about the dog. Let yourself off the hook if that's the decision you make.

Roy Tucker
07-29-2009, 03:20 PM

Well put.

A very hard decision. Been there more than once. You owe it to them though.

wheels
07-29-2009, 04:56 PM
What dabvu said.

I've been surprised that some of the most ardent of dog lovers that I know that are very involved in the cause, are also the ones who are more willing to advise in favor of putting a dog down when they get to a certain point. I can't tell you what the right decision is here, but you dn't have to feel any guilt if you decide to go down that path. The fact that you're posing this question and agonizing over the decision shows that you truly care deeply about the dog. Let yourself off the hook if that's the decision you make.

I just hope it takes a good long while before it gets to that point.

Ugh.

PedroBourbon
07-29-2009, 07:39 PM
I feel for you man, I have a boxer which is a similiar build with similiar issues and life expectancy. Let nature do it's course if it's not hurting your dog. I agree about the parrots but turtles can live over 150 years! That might be my next one. Good luck, I pray that day never comes for me but it will again and again.

PB

RFS62
07-30-2009, 06:59 AM
You're a good man, Wheels.

RollyInRaleigh
07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
When I was a kid, I had a beloved Collie that was my constant companion. He got older and was not feeling good for a while. He just disappeared one day and we never found him. Typical country dog. He knew it was his time and he left to die with dignity.

Had to put one down a few years back. One of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. I know that it was the right one, but it didn't make it any easier for me. Good luck, wheels. You will do the right thing when it is time.

Roy Tucker
07-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Yeah. We're on labrador retriever #3. We named her Harper. She's 16 weeks old now. Great dog, already a great companion, boundless energy, can already see the intelligence in her eyes, and I know she'll be a great dog over the coming years.

Lab #1 was Cooper. In the Dog Hall of Fame. His VORD (Value Over Replacement Dog) was off the charts. Lived to be 12. Lab #2 was Elsa. Great dog, a little ditzy, but unbelievably loyal and loving. She lived to be 13. 25 years of lab so far. For both of them, the decision to have them put down was a hard one. Both times, the decline was sure, the end was something that just couldn't be put off any longer.

Both times, we sat out in the yard for the whole morning. They let the sun hit them, lifted their noses into the breeze to catch a waft of whatever critter was about, and looked at me like "what are we doing today, boss?". Took a walk, peed a couple times (as well as their bad hips would let them), barked at a squirrel, let a neighbor scratch their ears. Both times, I had to help them into the car. And both times, the vet whisked us into a room so I wouldn't have to sit out in the waiting room with the masses. And then both times, I scratched their ears and head and told them they were good dogs as the vet rigged up the IV. He nodded to me and I said OK and he pushed in the plunger and that was that. Shook his hand, the staff gave me their condolences, and I'd go out to my car and sob like a baby. Tore me up bad. And if the gods allow, I'll probably take Harper on that same car ride in about 12-14 years. You just can't come into this world without going out. All part of the deal of being a dog owner. You owe it to them to give them a good end.

wheels
07-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Yeah. We're on labrador retriever #3. We named her Harper. She's 16 weeks old now. Great dog, already a great companion, boundless energy, can already see the intelligence in her eyes, and I know she'll be a great dog over the coming years.

Lab #1 was Cooper. In the Dog Hall of Fame. His VORD (Value Over Replacement Dog) was off the charts. Lived to be 12. Lab #2 was Elsa. Great dog, a little ditzy, but unbelievably loyal and loving. She lived to be 13. 25 years of lab so far. For both of them, the decision to have them put down was a hard one. Both times, the decline was sure, the end was something that just couldn't be put off any longer.

Both times, we sat out in the yard for the whole morning. They let the sun hit them, lifted their noses into the breeze to catch a waft of whatever critter was about, and looked at me like "what are we doing today, boss?". Took a walk, peed a couple times (as well as their bad hips would let them), barked at a squirrel, let a neighbor scratch their ears. Both times, I had to help them into the car. And both times, the vet whisked us into a room so I wouldn't have to sit out in the waiting room with the masses. And then both times, I scratched their ears and head and told them they were good dogs as the vet rigged up the IV. He nodded to me and I said OK and he pushed in the plunger and that was that. Shook his hand, the staff gave me their condolences, and I'd go out to my car and sob like a baby. Tore me up bad. And if the gods allow, I'll probably take Harper on that same car ride in about 12-14 years. You just can't come into this world without going out. All part of the deal of being a dog owner. You owe it to them to give them a good end.

Can you believe that I've never had to make that drive?

At least, not yet.

bucksfan2
07-30-2009, 09:52 AM

I can't even imagine doing that. I am on dog #4.5 but the others were family dogs so I didn't have to deal with the hard part. My family always had dogs growing up, the first dog was the best one. One we had to give away to a farm and another we had to put down. He was a great dog, just not good with other people. When I was away at college my parents got dog .5. I guess I call him a half because he is 10 pounds and not really my dog.

My wife and I got a lab mix, Palmer, last Feb. We were engage at the time and just getting settled into our new house. Needles to say a 6 week old lab was quite interesting. We have grown with the dog and I can't imagine not waking up to his nose in the morning or being mobbed when I walk in the front door.

Just the other day the wife and I were having an argument. All of a sudden Palmer runs up stairs and hides under a table. When I went up to get him he gave me that look saying "you better stop this right now". Its funny how a little 4 legged animal can put things in perspective without even being able to talk.

Wheels I feel for you in making your decision. In the end I believe the dog will tell you when he/she is ready. Enjoy as much time with your dog as possible.

Red Heeler
07-31-2009, 10:50 AM
First advice would be to get one of the nodules biopsied. It may not even be a mast cell tumor, and you may be worrying for nothing. If they are mast cell tumors, you might want to look into the chemo option a little further. Chemo for dogs is not like it is in humans. With humans, the physicians are willing to take you to the brink of death with the drugs in order to cure the cancer. In dogs, veterinarians are only looking to knock the cancer back and prolong life. The doses are lighter and the side effects MUCH less severe. If your veterinarian doesn't do a lot of cancer treatment, find somebody who does or ask her to consult with an oncologist.

I am strictly an equine vet, and I haven't worked on a dog since I graduated vet school, but I seem to remember that high dose vitamin C was also a treatment option for mast cell tumors. You may want to ask your veterinarian about that, too.

Regardless of the situation, euthanasia is always a tough choice. I've seen owners who allowed their animals to live in misery just so they wouldn't have to bear the strain of the decision. Animals live for the day. When the bad days start out numbering the good days, it is time to let them go.

Good luck to you and your dog.

klw
07-31-2009, 10:54 AM
I had a golden retriever who was diagnosed with lymphoma at age 8. We did chemo with him for 18 months. Other than the first and last weeks you never would have known he was ill. For the most part dogs handle chemo better than people. He was able to even go to the park for a walk two days before he passed away at home. After he rallied a week into chemo I always thought he could rally again. Fortunately he never seemed in much pain. He just eventually got lethargic and stopped eating a few days before he died.

cincinnati chili
08-01-2009, 02:55 AM

Good stuff, Roy Tucker. The "VORD" was the cherry on top.

SandyD
08-01-2009, 08:15 AM
My sister is facing that with a 16 year old cocker spaniel. It's time. My sister knows it. Her husband doesn't. The does not seem to be in pain ... unless she moves, which she doesn't really do any more. She can't see or hear. Mostly sleeps. It's really sad. She howls when she needs to go outside, and they have to pick her up and take her outside.

Best of luck to you wheels. I know it's not easy.

wheels
08-02-2009, 10:24 AM
First advice would be to get one of the nodules biopsied. It may not even be a mast cell tumor, and you may be worrying for nothing. If they are mast cell tumors, you might want to look into the chemo option a little further. Chemo for dogs is not like it is in humans. With humans, the physicians are willing to take you to the brink of death with the drugs in order to cure the cancer. In dogs, veterinarians are only looking to knock the cancer back and prolong life. The doses are lighter and the side effects MUCH less severe. If your veterinarian doesn't do a lot of cancer treatment, find somebody who does or ask her to consult with an oncologist.

I am strictly an equine vet, and I haven't worked on a dog since I graduated vet school, but I seem to remember that high dose vitamin C was also a treatment option for mast cell tumors. You may want to ask your veterinarian about that, too.

Regardless of the situation, euthanasia is always a tough choice. I've seen owners who allowed their animals to live in misery just so they wouldn't have to bear the strain of the decision. Animals live for the day. When the bad days start out numbering the good days, it is time to let them go.

Good luck to you and your dog.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm definitely going to ask her what she thinks of the vitamin C option.

Redlegs23
08-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I had a golden retriever growing up. Luckily I was in college in her elder years when she had to be put down. That would hav ebeen tough. My wife and I got a lab mix a year and a half ago. Best dog I've ever been around. She's only a year and a half and I don't even want to think about the day where she has to go.

Anyone here seen Marley & Me? I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I went to see that. I was crying like a 5 year old girl.

wheels
08-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I had a golden retriever growing up. Luckily I was in college in her elder years when she had to be put down. That would hav ebeen tough. My wife and I got a lab mix a year and a half ago. Best dog I've ever been around. She's only a year and a half and I don't even want to think about the day where she has to go.

Anyone here seen Marley & Me? I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I went to see that. I was crying like a 5 year old girl.

You should never watch those dog movies, man.

I learned that after watching "My Dog Skip".

Redlegs23
08-02-2009, 08:28 PM
You should never watch those dog movies, man.

I learned that after watching "My Dog Skip".

That's some wise advice, lesson learned.

RFS62
08-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Old Yeller

Puffy
08-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I was watching "Blood in the Water" yesterday (first show of Discovery's 2009 Shark Week!!!). It was about the 1916 New Jersey shark attacks - 5 attacks in 13 days.

The first victim went swimming with a dog out to sea. I was afraid it was the dog that was going to get it. Luckily it was just the human, cause if it was the dog I really would have been bummed.

Like in Jaws when Pippit gets attacked!

wheels
08-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Well.

Today was the day. I can't tell you how awful I feel. I came home and started throwing things away and moving stuff around.

I'm not saying this is the worst thing ever, but.

I don't wanna sit at home, and I don't want to go out because I can't stop crying.

I haven't cried since 2003. This is not fun.

Cyclone792
08-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Sorry about your loss, wheels. :(

I've been there before, and it's brutal to go through. Just hang in there though the best you can, and eventually the pain and sadness will subside a bit and you'll start to look back on all the great memories and be able to smile.

redsfanmia
08-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Remember the good times and know that your puppy is in a better place. I am sorry to hear it was so quick.

Patrick Bateman
08-07-2009, 07:50 PM
My dog's 7, and still has lots of good dog in her. I can't even imagine going through what you are 4-5 years down the line.

Really sorry to hear your loss, these types of things really hit home with me.

RFS62
08-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Really sorry, Wheels.

Your dog was lucky to have you as a master. Loyalty goes both ways.

RollyInRaleigh
08-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Hang in there, wheels. Losing an unconditionally loving companion is tough. I've been there and really feel for your loss.

wheels
08-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks to everyone.

It's supposed to be kinda silly, right?

Why would I feel sad that I can't tell my boy to "watch the house" as I was leaving for the night, knowing he'd bark, and probably scare someone away, but never bite them.

Why would I feel secure knowing that I had a vigilant buddy that would sound the alarm should someone try to harm us?

They're just evil Pit Bulls, right?

It couldn't be that they're in bred to the point of sickness, trained by ruthless measure to fight when they deem fit when they're young. Broken legs, poor nutrition, scratches and bruises all over them with no hope of anyone to save them.

Who cares? Throw em away. They don't deserve a chance to show that they were once a proud breed, American Bred, "Petie, from the Little Rascals, and damn proud to call you their pop".

Forget it. They're dangerous, no matter their history. Throw 'em away.

Well...I don't see it that way. I blame those dirty scoundrels for ruining an entire breed of animal.

Casey came from a bad place, but it was my responsibility to him and to others to make sure nothing bad ever happened. Everyone that came into contact with him was automatically disarmed by his vociferous charm and I am proud to say that I was an owner of an American Staffordshire Terrier.

Will I own one again? Probably not. They're too much work. They're needy, loud, and unruly.

Was Casey dangerous? Not to people, but I never let him off his leash long enough to find out. That was my responsibility.

It's just a shame it had to come to that, and I don't blame the breed. I blame people like Michael Vick, and others that think dog fighting is a sport, and that it was okay to throw the animals away like so much garbage, not worrying about the consequences. Michael Vick and his colleagues are the true savages, not the noble breed of dog they've damned to lives of persecution.

It's something akin to genocide, or at least eugenics.

That's the way I feel, anyway. I don't particularly care if I'm right.

I know I did what was best for him.

Spring~Fields
08-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I am sorry that you had to experience the outcome. I have been through that also with a pet 4-5 years ago. I know the unexplainable emotions that that one experiences with it all to well.

RollyInRaleigh
08-08-2009, 10:52 AM
I know I did what was best for him

Yes, you did. Hope you start to remember all the good things soon.

wheels
08-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, you did. Hope you start to remember all the good things soon.

That's what I'm hoping for.

I need to get yesterday's images out of my head.

RollyInRaleigh
08-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Stuck with me for a while, too, but I had a dog that really suffered and hung on much too long when I was younger. That image was much uglier. It really is the right thing to do. Hang in there.

RFS62
08-08-2009, 06:19 PM
It's hard to be strong when life gives us these terrible circumstances. You were strong for your dog, Wheels. You stood up when he needed you to.

You did the right thing for him. To let him suffer because it would have been easier for you would have been letting him down. You didn't.

You're a good man, and you both were lucky to have one another as long as you did.

Spring~Fields
08-08-2009, 06:29 PM
It's hard to be strong when life gives us these terrible circumstances. You were strong for your dog, Wheels. You stood up when he needed you to.

You did the right thing for him. To let him suffer because it would have been easier for you would have been letting him down. You didn't.

You're a good man, and you both were lucky to have one another as long as you did.

:cry:

So well spoken and meant.

wheels
08-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks.

It will be very cool to meet you in a few weeks.

LoganBuck
08-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I have working dogs on my farm. Only one at a time, but we have kept a Border Collie on the farm for about the last 70 years. We can name them all: Shep, Ned, King, Ed(great great grandson of Ned), Skip, Nellie and Lex. They are there every day, they don't take nights off to go to basketball games, or go out with girlfriends. They don't get mad and yell, because the cows ruined the planned dinner date. They will stay there on nights when cows are having calves until 2am. They are up the next morning at 5am when you are.

King saved my Grandfather from an attack by the last bull to ever walk on our farm forty years ago. He charged in and tore a piece of the bulls nose off, because the bull was trying to smash my Grandfather against a wall.

Ed was the dog of my childhood, I remember him riding shotgun with my grandpa in his truck. Ed got old and was deaf, the vet suggested putting him down, and my grandpa couldn't do it. Two days later, my grandma backed over him in the driveway. He walked right into the path of the car. Terrible.

We knew Skip was sick towards the end, and then he disappeared, it was summer and the corn was tall, we looked for him but never found him.

Nellie got stomach cancer, my dad was in love with that dog, she was the first one that was ever "his", he tried to save her because she was young, only seven. She even went to the Ohio State Vet Clinic, he ran up quite a bill, but there was nothing that could be done for her. I remember her last day well, she tried to do her job, which was helping to get the cows in the milking parlor. A job she loved. She tripped and fell down twice, and a boss cow realized she wasn't doing well, and hit her pretty hard. Nellie wasn't hurt but it was obvious that she wasn't doing well. We put her down that afternoon. I remember it was a sunny day in September. I have never seen my father cry, and he sobbed, I had to give him a hug. He buried her that afternoon, but refused my help because he didn't want me to see him that out of sorts.

Dad got Lex, two weeks later. Lex was a 18 months when we got him. He had been pick of the litter, and his new owner had started training him for the national championships, when he had a heart attack. The owner survived but was very feeble, and Lex was basically left in his kennel for a year. Mutual friends put us together and Lex came to our farm, seven years ago. He is still a little anti social, but loves my dad, he worships the ground my dad walks on. He is known for stealing gloves during the winter and burying them in manure, only to produce them in the spring.

wheels
08-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I have working dogs on my farm. Only one at a time, but we have kept a Border Collie on the farm for about the last 70 years. We can name them all: Shep, Ned, King, Ed(great great grandson of Ned), Skip, Nellie and Lex. They are there every day, they don't take nights off to go to basketball games, or go out with girlfriends. They don't get mad and yell, because the cows ruined the planned dinner date. They will stay there on nights when cows are having calves until 2am. They are up the next morning at 5am when you are.

King saved my Grandfather from an attack by the last bull to ever walk on our farm forty years ago. He charged in and tore a piece of the bulls nose off, because the bull was trying to smash my Grandfather against a wall.

Ed was the dog of my childhood, I remember him riding shotgun with my grandpa in his truck. Ed got old and was deaf, the vet suggested putting him down, and my grandpa couldn't do it. Two days later, my grandma backed over him in the driveway. He walked right into the path of the car. Terrible.

We knew Skip was sick towards the end, and then he disappeared, it was summer and the corn was tall, we looked for him but never found him.

Nellie got stomach cancer, my dad was in love with that dog, she was the first one that was ever "his", he tried to save her because she was young, only seven. She even went to the Ohio State Vet Clinic, he ran up quite a bill, but there was nothing that could be done for her. I remember her last day well, she tried to do her job, which was helping to get the cows in the milking parlor. A job she loved. She tripped and fell down twice, and a boss cow realized she wasn't doing well, and hit her pretty hard. Nellie wasn't hurt but it was obvious that she wasn't doing well. We put her down that afternoon. I remember it was a sunny day in September. I have never seen my father cry, and he sobbed, I had to give him a hug. He buried her that afternoon, but refused my help because he didn't want me to see him that out of sorts.

Dad got Lex, two weeks later. Lex was a 18 months when we got him. He had been pick of the litter, and his new owner had started training him for the national championships, when he had a heart attack. The owner survived but was very feeble, and Lex was basically left in his kennel for a year. Mutual friends put us together and Lex came to our farm, seven years ago. He is still a little anti social, but loves my dad, he worships the ground my dad walks on. He is known for stealing gloves during the winter and burying them in manure, only to produce them in the spring.

Great stories.

There is something special about dogs and the country. They just love it out there. I've never met a "city" dog. They're all just good old country folk on the inside.

bucksfan2
08-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Im sorry for your loss Wheels.

Roy Tucker
08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Just saw this, wheels. I'm sorry for your loss.

But you eventually will feel better for having done this. Sometimes doing the right thing in life is very hard and difficult. You'll know that you eased his pain and that you were there for him all the way through and you gave him a kind and loving end. A harsh lesson to learn but one that will serve you well in life.

TeamCasey
08-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm so sorry, Wheels. I've held quite a number of pets to their end over the years. It's never an easy decision to know when. Like Roy said, they just let you know.

It's never gotten any easier for me whether it's a dog, a cat or a rat. When they have my heart, they have it.

wheels
08-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm so sorry, Wheels. I've held quite a number of pets to their end over the years. It's never an easy decision to know when. Like Roy said, they just let you know.

It's never gotten any easier for me whether it's a dog, a cat or a rat. When they have my heart, they have it.

Exactly.

I should have named the thread for pet lovers, not just dog lovers.

I wish I wasn't allergic to cats.

I also want to thank everyone for understanding what I went through, and for the super kind words.

Redszone is awesome.

cumberlandreds
08-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I am sorry for loss Wheels. You are a fine pet owner and it seems you did the right thing. I have had a lot of pets over the years but I have never had to make that trip to the vet to put one down. They all seemed to know it was time to die and knew it was too hard for me or wife to take them to do that. Last fall we were on our way to the vet with our longtime pet rabbit to most likely do that thing. He was nearly 13 years and had gotten in bad shape. One Sunday morning he was breathing laborisly and we headed out to the vets to what I felt like was the trip to have him put down. We hadn't gone very far on our way when he just quit breathing. It was like he knew it was just too hard on us and he gave it up.
Now we are starting down that road with our cat. We have had him since May 1992 just a few months after me and my wife were married. He's had diabetes since the fall of 2005 and just recently he went into kidney failure and was diagnosed with chronic kindey failure,or something like that. For the last week or so we have been giving him drip bags of water to flush him out and hopefully bring it under control. He does seem better than a week ago with more life about him but he's not eating much. In fact we have been force feeding him some every night. If cats don't eat enough they can go into liver failure and die pretty quickly. We go back to the vet this evening so they can test his kidneys to see how much improvement he's made and see were we go from here. Also to ask lots of questions. But I'm afraid we are going down the road to eventual death from this and its not going to be easy.

wheels
08-16-2009, 06:54 PM
I am sorry for loss Wheels. You are a fine pet owner and it seems you did the right thing. I have had a lot of pets over the years but I have never had to make that trip to the vet to put one down. They all seemed to know it was time to die and knew it was too hard for me or wife to take them to do that. Last fall we were on our way to the vet with our longtime pet rabbit to most likely do that thing. He was nearly 13 years and had gotten in bad shape. One Sunday morning he was breathing laborisly and we headed out to the vets to what I felt like was the trip to have him put down. We hadn't gone very far on our way when he just quit breathing. It was like he knew it was just too hard on us and he gave it up.
Now we are starting down that road with our cat. We have had him since May 1992 just a few months after me and my wife were married. He's had diabetes since the fall of 2005 and just recently he went into kidney failure and was diagnosed with chronic kindey failure,or something like that. For the last week or so we have been giving him drip bags of water to flush him out and hopefully bring it under control. He does seem better than a week ago with more life about him but he's not eating much. In fact we have been force feeding him some every night. If cats don't eat enough they can go into liver failure and die pretty quickly. We go back to the vet this evening so they can test his kidneys to see how much improvement he's made and see were we go from here. Also to ask lots of questions. But I'm afraid we are going down the road to eventual death from this and its not going to be easy.

You know I feel for you.

Poor kitty.

BigPoppa
08-17-2009, 02:09 AM
Wheels, I grieve for you and your loss, but know that you did the right thing by your friend. The two of you were fortunate to have found each other.

My wife and I have a 3 year old, 4 lb. Yorkie who is the emotional equivalent of our child. I loathe the thought of the day we have to do what you did.

Excellent post.

Thanks for sharing your story, Roy.

No, there's nothing in my eye.........I'm crying.

cumberlandreds
08-17-2009, 07:09 AM
You know I feel for you.

Poor kitty.

Thanks! He's doing better. His numbers were better when we took him back to the vet. We were able to cut back on the fluids we are giving him. He started eating a lot better on his own over the weekend. That helps a lot. It's just going to be an adjustment in giving him medicines and maybe fluids everyday now for a while and maybe the rest of his life.

wheels
08-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks! He's doing better. His numbers were better when we took him back to the vet. We were able to cut back on the fluids we are giving him. He started eating a lot better on his own over the weekend. That helps a lot. It's just going to be an adjustment in giving him medicines and maybe fluids everyday now for a while and maybe the rest of his life.

Yeah. It beats the alternative, though.

When my dog was six, he was diagnosed with a thyroid problem, then diabetes, then he had to get cataracts removed.

I got used to all of the pills and shots with every meal. You will too.

I swear. My experience with that dog taught me a lot about the world of vetrinary medicine. I can now hold a semi intelligent conversation with anyone in the field.

I'm also going to use that knowledge to help land the pretty blonde vet tech that's been invading my dreams for the last few months.

Casey may be gone, but his legacy of being a chick magnet lives on.

RBA
08-24-2009, 11:58 PM
My dog is 11 years old. We got her from the pound as a skinny, nervous German Shepperd/Pit Bull mix. She quickly gain weight and seems pretty happy until lately. She has some hip pain, a sore back right leg, and bumps on her face and thighs. She also has the occasional seizure. I took her to the vet and they talked about doing some test and Xrays totally over $800 to find out how to treat her, not too mention surgeries.

I'm thinking $800, just to test and than thousands of dollars after surgeries she would have to have.

We settled for giving her pain reliever Tramadol. However, it made her real tired and she pretty much urinated on herself and her dog bed without even noticing it was occurring.

We stopped giving her the Tramadol and she pretty much back to her old self.

She is still pretty active and playful when she wants to be and still guards the house like a pro. So we are hopeful that we were over reacting. We know she is in some pain with the hips and leg. We think the pain is bearable for her at the moment. But are afraid time is catching up to her.

cumberlandreds
08-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah. It beats the alternative, though.

When my dog was six, he was diagnosed with a thyroid problem, then diabetes, then he had to get cataracts removed.

I got used to all of the pills and shots with every meal. You will too.

I swear. My experience with that dog taught me a lot about the world of vetrinary medicine. I can now hold a semi intelligent conversation with anyone in the field.

I'm also going to use that knowledge to help land the pretty blonde vet tech that's been invading my dreams for the last few months.

Casey may be gone, but his legacy of being a chick magnet lives on.

I would like to add that if you think you are paying too much at the Vets for medicines and other medical supplies you need,you probably are. When our cat started the Sub Q's,which is nothing but a glorified pack of water, our vet was charging $34 per bag! We thought that was really a lot for that and mentioned it to a vet tech. She said we will price match if you just bring in what you find on the Internet or whereever. My wife looked around on the Internet and found it considerably cheaper. I don't remember the price exactly but is was around $6 per pack. She brought that in to them but they wouldn't match it exactly but would only charge $15 per pack. That right there tells you what a markup they have and IMO taking advantage of a situation. My wife said no and ask the vet to write a perscription for this and she did. (The vet btw is really good. We have gone to her for a long time and we really didn't want to change.) In the meantime my wife called Wal-Greens just see if they would fill a perscription for a pet and if they could get these Sub Q bags and the needles needed for it. Well to our surprise they did and they also have a pet savings club! It cost $20 a year to be a member and you can get greatly discounted perscription medication and supplies for your pets. They were able to get the Sub Q bags for us. A box of 12 only cost us about $13.50! Basically just over $1 a bag. The needles were actually more at $17.99 for a box of 100. But still we are paying maybe $2 a bag for these Sub Q's when the vet's office was originally charging $34 per bag! So it pays big time to look around on the Internet for medications and supplies. Your vet should be willing to write you a perscription. If they don't they aren't worth going to,IMO. If our vet refused to do this we were set to find one that would.
BTW our cat is doing better. He seems to be slowly getting back to his old self. We have to give him an appetite stimulant,which we found out was a human allergy pill that has an affect on a cat to increase their appetite. And he's getting 200 ML of Sub Q's per day. He goes back to the vet Thursday to see how is kidney functions have progressed. We are hoping we will be able to cut back on his Sub Q's after this visit.