PDA

View Full Version : Pedro and The Curse

Red in Atl
08-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Back in Spring Training 1990 it was brought to the attention of the team that Pedro Bourbon had put a Voodoo Curse on the Reds team following his release in 1980 or so.

They talked Pedro into lifting the curse, and the Reds went on to perform a wire-to-wire season and beat the Oaklands A's in a huge upset.

But I seem to remember reading that he only lifted the curse for that one season. Does anyone remember any of this non-sense first?

And second, is it time to bring Pedro back, and get rid of this curse for good, no matter what we have to do?

gilpdawg
08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Now we're grasping at straws. There's no such thing as curses. Ask the BoSox.

BluegrassRedleg
08-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I can no hit curve ball. Hit straight ball very much.

Red in Atl
08-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Now we're grasping at straws. There's no such thing as curses. Ask the BoSox.

If I ask the Bosox, the answer would be curses can't compete with steroids!

Now we can't go the steroid route. So...

I very clearly remember Bourbon coming up to Florida or Cincy in the preseason and lifting the curse.

How could it freakin' hurt? We haven't done crap since '90, except make the playoff's in '95. And there was no way to make it to the WS, because we had a Voodoo Curse on us. See how that works?

I say we beg him to lift the curse.

Fon Duc Tow
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
I can no hit curve ball. Hit straight ball very much.

Hats....for bats? Gracias...

:D

Seriously though. The Reds only curse over the past 15 or 20 years is:

A) too low payroll to compete with the Cubs or Cardinals

and

B) not having a GM that knows how to play the game on "high difficulty" level (low to average payroll)

and

C) not enough good fortune to compensate for deficiencies in A and B.

BluegrassRedleg
08-03-2009, 08:05 PM
^ I think a lot of B and C.

BurgervilleBuck
08-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Back in Spring Training 1990 it was brought to the attention of the team that Pedro Bourbon had put a Voodoo Curse on the Reds team following his release in 1980 or so.

They talked Pedro into lifting the curse, and the Reds went on to perform a wire-to-wire season and beat the Oaklands A's in a huge upset.

But I seem to remember reading that he only lifted the curse for that one season. Does anyone remember any of this non-sense first?

And second, is it time to bring Pedro back, and get rid of this curse for good, no matter what we have to do?

I'd sooner root for the Cubs than to start believing this sort of BS.

gilpdawg
08-03-2009, 11:00 PM
If I ask the Bosox, the answer would be curses can't compete with steroids!

Now we can't go the steroid route. So...

Sad thing is....half our players were probably on steroids that year too. And I wish somebody would give the 09 Reds some steroids.

gilpdawg
08-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I'd sooner root for the Cubs than to start believing this sort of BS.

Yeah but they believe they're cursed by a damn billy goat. :D

BurgervilleBuck
08-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Yeah but they believe they're cursed by a damn billy goat. :D

That's my point. Only losers complain about curses and jinxes. There is no such thing.

Red in Atl
08-04-2009, 06:14 PM
God do you guys have any sense of humor?

I was asking if anyone knew the story. I should have googled it in the first place. If anyone cares, here's the "story" and the next link is Bourbon admitting it never happened. But I'd rather think there was a curse vs. the reality, which is there's no hope for us to win the WS, ever.

http://www.chinmusic.net/borbon.html

http://reds.enquirer.com/2002/09/23/red_browning_paints.html

The main reason the Reds suck every year is because baseball doesn't have a salary cap, but they do have guaranteed contracts. The Reds organization will never have a high enough payroll to win a WS again, unless this is fixed. Every other big time team sport has a salary cap and lacks guaranteed contracts.