PDA

View Full Version : Dusty caught in a lie about Volquez and Winterball

GIDP
08-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks of OBM up in the ORG for picking this up and finding the quote.

Today John Fay wrote this

The Reds can’t prevent players from playing in the Classic. They tried to get Volquez and Cueto to skip Winter Ball.

“There’s big time pressure on the them to play and perform,” Dusty Baker said. “Plus, the money they’re paying these guys. $400,000 (the MLB minimum) is a lot of money. But after you pay taxes and 25 members of your family , it’s not a lot.”

In September Dusty said this

WINTER PLANS: The Reds will allow both Johnny Cueto and Volquez to pitch winter ball.

"We want them to do what they did last year," Baker said. "It worked for them big time. . . They came in spring training ready last year. Cueto made the team because he was ready."

The quotes just keep on coming... This is getting beyond ridiculous. Dusty Baker is doing his best job trying to cover his tracks with every idiotic comment and no one in the media burns him. Its flat out pathetic.

Jack Burton
08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
What a bafoon, he's a disgrace to this franchise.

gilpdawg
08-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Good lord, it's coachspeak. Nothing to see here. Dusty knew they were going to play regardless so might as well make it sound good.

GIDP
08-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Good lord, it's coachspeak. Nothing to see here. Dusty knew they were going to play regardless so might as well make it sound good.

Then why come out so emphatically in support of it? Stop with the excuses.

BuckeyeRed27
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Because somebody asked him?

GIDP
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Because somebody asked him?

someone asked him to support them playing in winter ball and encouraging them to play in winter ball.

gilpdawg
08-03-2009, 10:58 PM

Well what's he gonna say? "No, I don't want them to go, but they went anyway?" Way to alienate your players. It's pure coachspeak, i.e. bullcrappin. It means nothing.

Here's a point of reference for you:

95% of what managers/GM's/owners/etc. say in the media is for PR purposes or saying something just to say it. There's no substance to any of it. Those guys don't want to talk to the media, so they just tell them some bullcrap just to get rid of them. Read the Bronx Zoo sometime. Those guys used to make up fake trade rumors in the clubhouse and the beat writers would go with it. It was a game.

GIDP
08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Well what's he gonna say? "No, I don't want them to go, but they went anyway?" Way to alienate your players. It's pure coachspeak, i.e. bullcrappin. It means nothing.

Here's a point of reference for you:

95% of what managers/GM's/owners/etc. say in the media is for PR purposes or saying something just to say it. There's no substance to any of it. Those guys don't want to talk to the media, so they just tell them some bullcrap just to get rid of them. Read the Bronx Zoo sometime. Those guys used to make up fake trade rumors in the clubhouse and the beat writers would go with it. It was a game.

I'm going to disagree that Dusty said this to be on the side of the player. Mainly because you said he didnt want to alienate the player but he has no problem doing it now. I see it as Dusty trying to weasel his way out of something and being political trying to change history.