PDA

View Full Version : our fanbase, me included is HORRIBLE

lidspinner
08-03-2009, 09:57 PM
The Cubs fans are dominating the sound through my TV.....I have only been to 12 games this year, I usually do more than that......but this is bad. I know its usually like this but when is Walt and Co. going to see this? That is a smack in the face right there.

Jack Burton
08-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Why should Reds fans throw away their hard earned for this mess of a team? This game should be a message to the FO. Prove you are trying to field a winner, eat dusty's contract.

FlyerFanatic
08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
the FO doesnt care. bob doesnt care about winning, simple as that. if he wanted to win, and actually cared, he'd open his wallet if he did. just trash, i cant wait to hear the excuses for this piss poor team at the end of the season

WeLoveLarkin!!!
08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
i don't see it that way. I think our fanbase is just fine, but our team and FO is horrible. you're right though, it is exasperating.

GIDP
08-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Why should any reds fan spend money on this team? I can sit home and watch the games for free instead of sitting down there and watching them lose.

WeLoveLarkin!!!
08-03-2009, 10:12 PM
the FO doesnt care. bob doesnt care about winning, simple as that. if he wanted to win, and actually cared, he'd open his wallet if he did. just trash, i cant wait to hear the excuses for this piss poor team at the end of the season

true story

LouisvilleCARDS
08-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I hate the Cubs. If anything else this year I hope they don't make the playoffs. Their fans are like freaking roaches. It makes me sick we didn't win tonight.

mroby85
08-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I think we have a great fan base, they've just been given absolutely nothing for entirely too long.

GIDP
08-03-2009, 10:17 PM
the fan base has been treated like dirt pretty much non stop for 14 years.

gedred69
08-03-2009, 10:17 PM
I buy a partial season Ticket. I've found it getting harder to give them away. I live significantly far away from the stadium, so weeknight games make it tough to go to work the next day, and I won't put this "old Body" through that to have my heart ripped out by spending precious time and very tight money, (Parking, food, gas) to watch this lackluster, un-inspired team. As far as Cubs fans go, it's a good example of what fans will do if their team is in the hunt every year. It was almost that bad last year when the "pink hat" fan of the Bosox were in town. Gee, must be because their team is always in the Hunt to!

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm 44 years old. I have been a Reds fan since about the age of 5. This will be the 1st year since I was about 5 that I did not go to at least one Reds game. There is absolutely no reason to go.NONE. We have an owner that doesn't care. Why should any of us. I am embarrassed to be a Reds fan. I am embarrassed for this city/area. I am dumbstruck at what this once mighty franchise has become. Other than maybe 5 seconds on the radio or flipping channels to get the score, I do not watch the games anymore. Part of me says I should be all honked off about this but I simply do not care anymore. We can talk about Jocketty all day long but it is obvious the lettuce man simply wont stick a crowbar in his wallet and pay for talent. Bob, please sell this team.

BurgervilleBuck
08-03-2009, 10:38 PM

true story

Can we see a source, then?

FlyerFanatic
08-03-2009, 10:40 PM

see a source? of what? how bob c hasnt opened his wallet? just take a look at last off season...

GIDP
08-03-2009, 10:42 PM

I see the source most nights between 7 and 10 on FSN ohio

BurgervilleBuck
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
see a source? of what? how bob c hasnt opened his wallet? just take a look at last off season...
What sort of free agent market was out there in the off season?

Mutaman
08-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Whimper,whine. Yes things are bad, maybe as bad as they get. But lets quit crying. Lindner messed this organization up really bad and its going to take time to straighten things out. Under the present circumstances, it is not fair to condemn present management, particularly when you consider how many people here defended the Banana Man, even when (as it turned out) he was giving away our revenue sharing money to South American terrorist groups. We need to be patient for annother year or two and give them time to try and clean up Carl's mess.

As an outsider, its always been my impression that, for whatever reason, Cincinnati is just not that great a sports town, at least not compared to St Louis or Milwaukee. I know its been a long time ago, but I don't recall attendence being that great even during the Larkin years.

FlyerFanatic
08-03-2009, 10:59 PM
What sort of free agent market was out there in the off season?

abreu, burrell come to mind.

at this point i'll take some GCL high school players, they have just as much chance to get a hit, than taveras does.

Mutaman
08-03-2009, 11:07 PM
abreu, burrell come to mind..

Im going to give ownership a pass on Abreu. I couldn't see investing a lot of money in him, not after the Yankees didn't even give him a tumble in the offseason even though they needed an outfielder (they made it clear they didn't want him back long before Texara fell into their laps). But the fact that a top organization like LA signed him and hes finally playing like a guy who can win shows me that I might have been wrong about him. I'm not going to second guess the Reds at this point though.

Would you really want to invest money in Burrell? i don't think there was a lot out there. Derreck Lowe?

FlyerFanatic
08-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Im going to give ownership a pass on Abreu. I couldn't see investing a lot of money in him, not after the Yankees didn't even give him a tumble in the offseason even though they needed an outfielder (they made it clear they didn't want him back long before Texara fell into their laps). But the fact that a top organization like LA signed him and hes finally playing like a guy who can win shows me that I might have been wrong about him. I'm not going to second guess the Reds at this point though.

Would you really want to invest money in Burrell? i don't think there was a lot out there. Derreck Lowe?

you're gonna give the organization a pass? listen i understand there wasnt a lot out there, everyone knew going in, texiera, sabbathia, burnett, lowe were all gonna go to whoever gave them the most money. the reds were automatically out of those, but once again, you're telling me there werent players out there that could out produce taveras? gonzo? if they dont wanna bring the young guys up, than get someone, anyone in FA. not willy freakin taveras aka corey patterson jr

sivman17
08-03-2009, 11:30 PM
it's not like any cubs fans have day jobs anyway. why else would they have day games all the time and be able to travel for a weekday series this week? cubs fans, although loyal, are annoying, have no jobs, and are all alcoholics

sivman17
08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
oh, and that stupid go cubs go cubs song they sing after wins is the lamest most ridiculous ever. i was at wrigley last week and frankly i wanted to kill myself after that sunday game. yeah, it was embarrassing being a reds fan after being humiliated all weekend, but seriously, they can't come up with a better chant than "go cubs go, the cubs are gona win today!" really?? it was so lame i just wanted to shoot myself

Mutaman
08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
you're gonna give the organization a pass? listen i understand there wasnt a lot out there, everyone knew going in, texiera, sabbathia, burnett, lowe were all gonna go to whoever gave them the most money. the reds were automatically out of those, but once again, you're telling me there werent players out there that could out produce taveras? gonzo? if they dont wanna bring the young guys up, than get someone, anyone in FA. not willy freakin taveras aka corey patterson jr

If I want to give the organization a pass on not signing Bobby Abreu i will. If you don't want to, you don't have to. But I'm not going to second guess at this point. I'm not sure how thats me telling you "that there werent players out there that could out produce taveras? gonzo?"

Of course if you want to cite one of your posts from the winter attacking the organization for signing Taveras instead of signing Abreu (as if that was even possible), I will be happy to congradulate you on your foresight.

Captain Hook
08-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Its about as bad as it gets.I haven't seen as bad of a 2 or 3 weeks of baseball from the Reds in a long while and it can certainly make even the most devoted fan bitter.

Lets remember a few things though and try to have a little hope.

1.The front office is investing heavily in the farm system.For the last few years they have been one of the leading teams in baseball signing Latin American players and by leading teams I mean they are spending a lot of money.They have also done a nice job recently of signing draft picks as well.This is a very good sign that ownership is concerned about the future as these kids being signed are a long ways from putting butts in the seats at GABP.Its certainly a long term investment to the Reds future.

2.The Reds are still young with Votto,Bruce,Hannigan,Dickerson,Cueto,Bailey all figuring to be starters next year.Phillips and Gomes are both under 30 as well.Along with some of our veteran player not really being over the hill(Rolen,Cordero,Harrang,Aaroyo)and expected to contribute next year.

3.Injuries have killed us this year.Volquez being out next year is not a good start to 2010 but at some point I like to think our luck will change.With some of our minor league guys a year older the hope is in my mind that these guys will be able to fill in better next year then they have this year.The real hope is that they don't have to as much as they have this season but guys like Rosales,Heisey,Frazier,Cozart,Woods ext. need to step up when called upon unlike this year where the rookies and replacement players have struggled when asked to fill in.I think its reasonable to expect that they will.

2009 has been a very difficult year but there was a point before the wheels fell off that it looked like we might have a winner.Injuries have changed that more then anything.For the most part 2010 looked to be the year we would really contend anyways.The biggest problem with that thinking is that we had hoped that 2009 would provide a nice springboard for that success.It looks like 2009 is going to be a year to forget that not much good will come from.2010 spring training has started imo and every decision made going forward will be made with that in mind.Try to keep it in prospective when the loses keep piling up.

Mutaman
08-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Its about as bad as it gets.I haven't seen as bad of a 2 or 3 weeks of baseball from the Reds in a long while and it can certainly make even the most devoted fan bitter.

Lets remember a few things though and try to have a little hope.

1.The front office is investing heavily in the farm system.For the last few years they have been one of the leading teams in baseball signing Latin American players and by leading teams I mean they are spending a lot of money.They have also done a nice job recently of signing draft picks as well.This is a very good sign that ownership is concerned about the future as these kids being signed are a long ways from putting butts in the seats at GABP.Its certainly a long term investment to the Reds future.

2.The Reds are still young with Votto,Bruce,Hannigan,Dickerson,Cueto,Bailey all figuring to be starters next year.Phillips and Gomes are both under 30 as well.Along with some of our veteran player not really being over the hill(Rolen,Cordero,Harrang,Aaroyo)and expected to contribute next year.

3.Injuries have killed us this year.Volquez being out next year is not a good start to 2010 but at some point I like to think our luck will change.With some of our minor league guys a year older the hope is in my mind that these guys will be able to fill in better next year then they have this year.The real hope is that they don't have to as much as they have this season but guys like Rosales,Heisey,Frazier,Cozart,Woods ext. need to step up when called upon unlike this year where the rookies and replacement players have struggled when asked to fill in.I think its reasonable to expect that they will.

2009 has been a very difficult year but there was a point before the wheels fell off that it looked like we might have a winner.Injuries have changed that more then anything.For the most part 2010 looked to be the year we would really contend anyways.The biggest problem with that thinking is that we had hoped that 2009 would provide a nice springboard for that success.It looks like 2009 is going to be a year to forget that not much good will come from.2010 spring training has started imo and every decision made going forward will be made with that in mind.Try to keep it in prospective when the loses keep piling up.

Great refreshing post. Thanks. Although the Edinson news is a real blow.

foxfire123
08-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Hubby and I used to make a weekend road trip to Cincinnati for at least one weekend series every year. We haven't gone at all for 2 years now. Why spend several hundred on a hotel room, 3 days of game tickets, meals, souvenirs, the mandatory trip to the Newport Aquarium, gas, wear and tear on the car, etc to watch the level of play we've seen for the past 10 years? Right now, I'm so frustrated and flat out po'd that I'm not spending another dime on going to a Reds game, or Reds merchandise. We work hard for our money, why waste it....

And it hurts to say that. This team is flat out bringing tears every time I try to watch them, and double the frustration for me since I have to listen to Cardinals fans brag constantly.

BurgervilleBuck
08-04-2009, 12:32 AM
There's an easy solution for everyone who tires of the Reds losing...

...go root for another team.

Either that or just deal with the hands we've been dealt this season. It will be better as Captain Hook said and most of you carping babies will be scrambling to get back on the bandwagon.

foxfire123
08-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Yes Captain, that is an excellent post. I just really, really wish I could share your optimism. I've had hope for the past 10 years at least. Every year I start the season thinking "this is it. This is OUR year. It's OUR turn finally!" and been crushed every time. How long can even the most die hard fan take this?

Captain Hook
08-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Yes Captain, that is an excellent post. I just really, really wish I could share your optimism. I've had hope for the past 10 years at least. Every year I start the season thinking "this is it. This is OUR year. It's OUR turn finally!" and been crushed every time. How long can even the most die hard fan take this?

Actually I'm not really all that optimistic.I just wanted to point out that its not all doom and gloom.However slight the possibility is that we turn things around next year there is still that chance.This organization isn't as terrible as most of us feel it is right now.We are just all a little shell shocked.

Ghosts of 1990
08-04-2009, 12:59 AM
I've given up on this season for a while. Its sickening to watch. I'm a die hard. If I have lost interest, a lot of people have.

Captain Hook
08-04-2009, 01:06 AM
I've given up on this season for a while. Its sickening to watch. I'm a die hard. If I have lost interest, a lot of people have.

I can't blame anyone that feels this way.I have actually been trying to loose interest but I must have a problem.Call it an addiction or just being a fanatic but either way I probably need to get some help considering how painful this is and the fact that I just keep going back for more.

foxfire123
08-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Yeah Captain, more than a *little* shell shocked.

But I have to admit, I also know me. Right now for all the whining, kvetching and yes, even crying out of me, come winter meetings and spring training, I'll be back to thinking (hoping) that maybe, just maybe, 2010 will be our year.

Hope does spring eternal. It just takes detours into hell and highway construction once in a while.

Captain Hook
08-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Yeah Captain, more than a *little* shell shocked.

But I have to admit, I also know me. Right now for all the whining, kvetching and yes, even crying out of me, come winter meetings and spring training, I'll be back to thinking (hoping) that maybe, just maybe, 2010 will be our year.

x2

Mutaman
08-04-2009, 01:34 AM

Either that or just deal with the hands we've been dealt this season. It will be better as Captain Hook said and most of you carping babies will be scrambling to get back on the bandwagon.

Yeah. Walt ain't gonna get fired, Baker ain't gonna get fired, and no one is gonna pick up Willy T. So if all you want to do is whine about it, don't let the door hit you on the way out. You can always root for the Yankees.

This team is starting to remind me of Pete's last team, the 89 Reds. Thats the last time things looked this bad, and we all know what happened the next year.

BigPoppa
08-04-2009, 01:51 AM
I can't blame anyone that feels this way.I have actually been trying to loose interest but I must have a problem.Call it an addiction or just being a fanatic but either way I probably need to get some help considering how painful this is and the fact that I just keep going back for more.

Me too. As an example of what a glutton for punishment I am, I just bought tickets to the Dodgers' series at the end of the month....which I'm sure will be nothing but an embarrassing beatdown.

Captain Hook
08-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Yeah. Walt ain't gonna get fired, Baker ain't gonna get fired, and no one is gonna pick up Willy T. So if all you want to do is whine about it, don't let the door hit you on the way out. You can always root for the Yankees.

This team is starting to remind me of Pete's last team, the 89 Reds. Thats the last time things looked this bad, and we all know what happened the next year.

Too bad Dusty isn't betting on games and he isn't likely to break any laws that will get him fired.Unfortunately that's probably what it will take to get him out of Cincinnati for 2010 and despite his poor managing he's a pretty good guy.

Maybe RZ should frame him for something or maybe we could just claim that batting Taveras 1st and putting who ever the next worse available hitter behind him is some sort of mental abuse that has caused an entire fan base to suffer to the point that they unable to function in every day life thus leading to unproductive workers and people in general.Lets just blame this whole recession thing on Dusty and then maybe with the combination of his terrible managing and the pressure of the Federal Government weighing down on them Bob C. and WJ will get rid of Baker.Just a thought.

GBC Red
08-04-2009, 02:11 AM
I am 23 years old, I do not remember 1990, vaguely remember 1995, but remember 1999 very well. One of the happiest sports memories I have is the day we traded for my favorite player, Ken Griffey Jr. Ever since then I have been let down. For the first time since I started following baseball I could care less about the games, and that seriously bothers me. I feel like a fairweather fan, even though I have followed this team through the losing in years past. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way and it is very frustrating.

sivman17
08-04-2009, 02:28 AM
yeah i actually surprise myself because every night i still sit down and watch this team. i usually watch the whole game no matter the score. i stayed up till 3 in the morning for that 18 inning game, i sat and watched the entire game when we gave up 22 runs. i really don't know why i do it, except maybe i can't find anything better to do. but, it really is pathetic how bad this team is.

mroby85
08-04-2009, 03:22 AM

I really hope you aren't serious... do you watch this team? Did you hear Walt Jocketty say in the offseason a right hand power bat was the teams top priority... did you see a right hand power bat? I know a few free agents for example if the Reds were trying win were Manny, Big Tex, Juan Rivera, Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu, etc. Also, about a month ago when they were legitimate contenders, did you enjoy watching St. Louis go get Matt Holliday, Ryan Ludwick and Julio Lugo, while we sat still and did nothing while already being the less talented team of the two before those trades? Examples could go on and on for hours, those are the ones I can think of just from recently.

BurgervilleBuck
08-04-2009, 03:55 AM
I know a few free agents for example if the Reds were trying win were Manny, Big Tex, Juan Rivera, Torii Hunter, Bobby Abreu, etc.
Wow. You lost the argument by suggesting the Reds could've gone after Manny Ramirez. That wasn't going to happen and neither would've Texiera and the rest. Free agent splashes only work if your owner's last name is Steinbrenner.

I'm sorry but at this point, the only way this team would get talent of that caliber is to grow it themselves.

Captain Hook
08-04-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm sorry but at this point, the only way this team would get talent of that caliber is to grow it themselves.

Then the Yankees would come along and offer them 20 to 25 million a year then......well.....you guys know how that story ends.:cry:

bounty37h
08-04-2009, 10:53 AM
The Cubs fans are dominating the sound through my TV.....I have only been to 12 games this year, I usually do more than that......but this is bad. I know its usually like this but when is Walt and Co. going to see this? That is a smack in the face right there.

Good, I hope they stopped in and actually went by the FO and literally smacked em in the face, then peed on their desks on the way out the door. The players should feel like crap too seeing how it was Wrigley Field Cincy.

bounty37h
08-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Why should any reds fan spend money on this team? I can sit home and watch the games for free instead of sitting down there and watching them lose.

Your doing better then me then right now, I couldnt even stomach watching the whole game for free on tv in my own home last night. Horrible product=horrible fan support, pretty simple and basic business principle.

bounty37h
08-04-2009, 11:16 AM

hear we go with that stupid bandwagaon crap arguement again. Do you even have a clue what a bandwagon fan is-start there before hounding on others (hint, there is NO SUCH THING as a Reds bandwagon fan). And I will not go root for another team. Why dont you stop coming here instead if reading other fans opinions bother you so bad-you should expect fans of a team to be upset when losing piles on year after year. Yes, the ones who constantly moan gets old, but you have got to expect it at this point, if you dont, how is that little world you live in all alone?

TheBigLebowski
08-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I live in Gainesville, FL and have been forking out hundreds of bucks each year to buy the Reds Season Pass. Wife and I also scheduled a trip to Washington, DC around the Reds visit. Always go to Atlanta once a year when the Reds are in town. Gotta admit, if I lived in or around Cincy, as much as I love the Reds and as much as I love baseball, I'd have a hard time getting to GAB that often to watch this team. Not only are the Reds horrifyingly bad, they're BORING. You know what's going to happen before the game even starts. Who the hell wants to pay to see Willy Tavares and Alex Gonzalez 1-2 each night? All our pitchers are either hurt or struggling. I guess I'd like to see Rolen in person and Votto and Phillips are exciting players, but you just know this team has a 95% chance of losing 5-1 each night.

bounty37h
08-04-2009, 11:23 AM

BC, enough fans stop showing up and paying for this crap product it will force a change of some kind at some point.

redsfanfalcon
08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I actually walked up to another Reds fan last night and told him how thankful I was that he was at the game in spite of the losing and Cubs fans. I realize the Reds are bad, but they are still my team. I don't care if they go 0-162, they are still my team. I am ashamed at all the Cubs fans being at GABP outnumbering us Reds fan probably 3 to 1, but they are still the Cubs and they are the reason why my buddy named his fantasy team "100 Year Drought" this year. The Cubs are almost like a brainwashed cult...the famed loveable losers. I realize we haven't even had a playoff or play in game in 10 years, but at least it hasn't 100 years since our last World Series win.

mroby85
08-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Wow. You lost the argument by suggesting the Reds could've gone after Manny Ramirez. That wasn't going to happen and neither would've Texiera and the rest. Free agent splashes only work if your owner's last name is Steinbrenner.

You're proving my point exactly. Thats why teams like that win, and our team doesn't. Really what is the point of being a fan of a team that has no chance? I really wish I wasn't a Reds fan, but grew up one, and can't switch. It's the same thing year after year. What about Holliday, and Derosa? Does St. Louis play in that much bigger of a market than us?

Mutaman
08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
BC, enough fans stop showing up and paying for this crap product it will force a change of some kind at some point.

Over the last eight years there have been plenty of changes, both in terms of GMs, managers and coaches. The "change of some kind" mentality hasn't worked. Have you ever considered the possibility that what this organization needs at this point is some stability?

bounty37h
08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
^Have you ever considered maybe doing it right the first time for once so you dont have to keep making these dumb changes just to do something, and then you get stability?

will5979
08-05-2009, 09:52 AM
These owners can all go to hell. That goes for some of these pathetic so called major leaguers on this team as well.

mlh1981
08-08-2009, 09:23 AM
While it's very disappointing right now, I'll be drinking the koolaid once again come spring training. Most of us probably will, too.