PDA

View Full Version : Protest

will5979
08-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I believe it is time that we the fans rise up in protest against the idiots in charge of this beloved franchise. If fans would just stay away during the next homestand (every game) maybe we the fans can send a message to the dumbass onwers that we are fed up and aren't going to put up with their garbage any longer.

Girevik
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Sorry, I have to contribute to the mess. I'm taking my son to his first ever Reds game for this birthday on the 14th, and he'd be crushed if I told him we weren't going. Besides, I already have the tickets so the team already has my money.

will5979
08-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Sorry, I have to contribute to the mess. I'm taking my son to his first ever Reds game for this birthday on the 14th, and he'd be crushed if I told him we weren't going. Besides, I already have the tickets so the team already has my money.

Understand, but at the same token he may be more messed up by having to watch these losers!

Red in Atl
08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I believe it is time that we the fans rise up in protest against the idiots in charge of this beloved franchise. If fans would just stay away during the next homestand (every game) maybe we the fans can send a message to the dumbass onwers that we are fed up and aren't going to put up with their garbage any longer.

Good luck with that. Have you heard of a team called the Bengals? Your city should have revolted long ago against those crooks the Browns. I'd say the Bengals are much more worthy of a protest than the Reds, and the fans have failed at that protest for years.

bounty37h
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
^Yeha, but thats teh bungals, does anyone [I]really [I]care about them :) I kid, I kid

jfleur87
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Do as you wish, the Reds are still the reason I got into baseball, I can't just not follow them, I only ask that they at least make the playoffs before the supposed end of the world in 2012, lol

EddieMilner
08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
While I agree that fans need to protest something, I think a better course of action would be to protest against MLB as an organization. They currently are taking advantage of their Monopoly status and doing great harm to a large percentage of their fan base.

The first issue I have is with the black out rules. These are atrocious and only benefit the deals with cable companies that each team makes. The fact that I live 4.5 hours away from GABP but can not use MLB.TV due to black out restrictions is ludicrous. Take black out restrictions back to what they were intended for: to stop people from sitting at home and watching at TV when they could be at the stadium. That or get rid of them completely.

Next - issue, as a fan I have, is the US Draft. Make players declare their professional status and lose amateur eligibility to enter the draft. If they can't go to college, go back to college, or go to a JC then they are going to be more apt to sign with the organization that drafts them. Also, once they are drafted I believe that team should have the rights for 3 seasons. So if they choose to go to independent league ball due to contract negotiations then fine... but you are going to be missing out for 3 years not just one.

Next - international free agency. Stop it. Make it a draft. same rules as above. I would go as far to lump both international and US into one draft. Make the ages the same for everyone.

Salary Cap - make the small market teams have a reasonable chance to compete for free agents. Top of the line free agents only look at a 6 to 8 teams tops when they are getting 15+ million a year.

I don't think anyone is ever going to make these changes inside of baseball without extreme pressure from fans. And since they are a monopoly and have anti-trust laws due to this it's time for the fans to rattle cages with calls to their congressmen, boycotting games, standing outside of stadiums with fliers explaining our gripes, and allowing more fans know that we all feel this way. It seems (to me at least) that a lot of fans hold these opinions but they don't know how to get any action. As a consumer of the product they are putting out, we have immense power but we have to use it.

I will step down off my soap box now.

jimbo
08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Understand, but at the same token he may be more messed up by having to watch these losers!

Haha, that was pretty funny. :laugh:

Red in Atl
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
While I agree that fans need to protest something, I think a better course of action would be to protest against MLB as an organization. They currently are taking advantage of their Monopoly status and doing great harm to a large percentage of their fan base.

The first issue I have is with the black out rules. These are atrocious and only benefit the deals with cable companies that each team makes. The fact that I live 4.5 hours away from GABP but can not use MLB.TV due to black out restrictions is ludicrous. Take black out restrictions back to what they were intended for: to stop people from sitting at home and watching at TV when they could be at the stadium. That or get rid of them completely.

Next - issue, as a fan I have, is the US Draft. Make players declare their professional status and lose amateur eligibility to enter the draft. If they can't go to college, go back to college, or go to a JC then they are going to be more apt to sign with the organization that drafts them. Also, once they are drafted I believe that team should have the rights for 3 seasons. So if they choose to go to independent league ball due to contract negotiations then fine... but you are going to be missing out for 3 years not just one.

Next - international free agency. Stop it. Make it a draft. same rules as above. I would go as far to lump both international and US into one draft. Make the ages the same for everyone.

Salary Cap - make the small market teams have a reasonable chance to compete for free agents. Top of the line free agents only look at a 6 to 8 teams tops when they are getting 15+ million a year.

I don't think anyone is ever going to make these changes inside of baseball without extreme pressure from fans. And since they are a monopoly and have anti-trust laws due to this it's time for the fans to rattle cages with calls to their congressmen, boycotting games, standing outside of stadiums with fliers explaining our gripes, and allowing more fans know that we all feel this way. It seems (to me at least) that a lot of fans hold these opinions but they don't know how to get any action. As a consumer of the product they are putting out, we have immense power but we have to use it.

Well said!!!

Joeyjection19
08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
I wish changing things was easier- baseball and country clubs are so similar in that respect. I'm the biggest Tiger Woods fan, but I root for him to hit a bad shot so he swears and throws his club- there's no way he'll ever get suspended and it just wears at the old crusty guys. I wish baseball had a manager like that.

BurgervilleBuck
08-05-2009, 03:20 PM
While I agree that fans need to protest something, I think a better course of action would be to protest against MLB as an organization...
A very good post and a very good idea but where to start? I'd be more than willing to work towards an MLB protest but it'd have to be a true grassroots (and not just a 'net based) effort.

will5979
08-05-2009, 03:32 PM

I like the way you think!:thumbup:

will5979
08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
^Yeha, but thats teh bungals, does anyone [I]really [I]care about them :) I kid, I kid

Don't kid, its the truth! They are my team as well but who really cares? IF a team is going to suck in Cincy I definitely want it to be the Bungles and not the Reds. I would much rather have the Bungles as the laughing stock every year instead of the Reds.

So, again you are right, who really gives a s---?

BurgervilleBuck
08-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Don't kid, its the truth! They are my team as well but who really cares? IF a team is going to suck in Cincy I definitely want it to be the Bungles and not the Reds. I would much rather have the Bungles as the laughing stock every year instead of the Reds.
Well, there's always the Cyclones.

Jack Burton
08-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Excellent idea on the protest, the fans have to make a point.

EddieMilner
08-06-2009, 08:55 AM
A very good post and a very good idea but where to start? I'd be more than willing to work towards an MLB protest but it'd have to be a true grassroots (and not just a 'net based) effort.

I spent a little time thinking about this while drinking a couple of beers last night. Its hard to believe that fans of the large market teams would see any benefit to changes in the system. Their teams are benefiting from the current state of free agency. However MLB can't have 30 large market teams and therefore need the small market teams to play their cash cows. It doesn't seem that MLB looks at the parity in the NFL and the prosperity of the NFL and see any connection. So therefore its important to get fans in the small market teams to buy into making a difference. Handing out fliers at each game and allowing fans with similar feelings to have a centralized method to express their frustration with the current business state of baseball could go a long way. Fans that feel this way need to write their congressmen explaining the injustice that MLB is doing to their fan base. God knows that congress loves to hold hearings to the MLB. Press MLB to listen to us, write letters explaining your frustrations.

Its sad that MLB doesn't see the dwindling TV ratings and lack of youth participation as a sign that major changes are needed. I fear that if they wait too long the players union and the owners will ruin one of the greatest things about this country.

stepping back down off my soap box again.

and please interchange emails with letters in ways to communicate with congressmen and MLB.

Ghosts of 1990
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I dont go to anymore games this season and I don't really watch the game on television unless Bailey is throwing. Thats my form of protest. Its more self pride.

BRM13
08-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I dont go to anymore games this season and I don't really watch the game on television unless Bailey is throwing. Thats my form of protest. Its more self pride.

That's interesting. I find I've fallen into pretty much that same place. I'm only really interested in watching Bailey pitch. Unlike years past, I can't really watch them 'bat' at all.

BRM13
08-06-2009, 03:42 PM

I'd say that fans have been protesting this team for years. Attendance is not particularly good and hasn't been. I guess TV and radio ratings have been strong this year, but I think the fan base is ruled more and more by apathy. Bob C knows the natives are restless. In fact, he's restless ('the losing stops now'). Unfortunately, he hasn't figured out yet what to do about the losing. He might not figure it out.

FlyerFanatic
08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd say that fans have been protesting this team for years. Attendance is not particularly good and hasn't been. I guess TV and radio ratings have been strong this year, but I think the fan base is ruled more and more by apathy. Bob C knows the natives are restless. In fact, he's restless ('the losing stops now'). Unfortunately, he hasn't figured out yet what to do about the losing. He might not figure it out.

why do i keep seeing this whole "the losing stops now" quote? didnt he say this back when he became the owner, its lip service. what was he going to say? well i bought the team so i could continue this rich tradition of losing. if bob c is really restless and unhappy about the losing, he would raise the payroll by a whole lot, hasnt happened, and i doubt he ever does.

CySeymour
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
why do i keep seeing this whole "the losing stops now" quote? didnt he say this back when he became the owner, its lip service. what was he going to say? well i bought the team so i could continue this rich tradition of losing. if bob c is really restless and unhappy about the losing, he would raise the payroll by a whole lot, hasnt happened, and i doubt he ever does.

Nope, he said it when he fired Krivskey and put Jocketty in the GM position.

BRM13
08-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Good luck with that. Have you heard of a team called the Bengals? Your city should have revolted long ago against those crooks the Browns. I'd say the Bengals are much more worthy of a protest than the Reds, and the fans have failed at that protest for years.

I understand your point, the Bengals have a laughable record over the years since Paul Brown died. OTOH, since Paul Brown died, the Reds and Bengals have each made the post season once. In the 33 years since the Big Red Machine won their second WS title the Bengals have been in the Super Bowl twice and the post season in 1981, 1982, 1988, 1990, and 2005. In those same 33 years the Reds have made the WS one time (and won!!!!) and made the post season in 1979, 1990, and 1995 (and got cheated in 1981 and 1994). Are the Bengals really that much worse than the Reds?

Sure, the Bengal's regular season winning percentage is much lower and the number of amazingly inept teams they have fielded is higher, but in terms of playoffs and championship contention things aren't really very different. The Reds are racking up a fairly historic (for the franchise) streak of ineptitude. The Bengals are so bad most years we forget the Reds haven't seriously contended for anything outside of 1999 in 14 years and counting. That means if you are younger than about 21 (i.e. all the kids in the potential fanbase!), you can't remember the Reds ever being very good. The Big Red Machine might as well be the Gashouse Gang for a growing proportion of the potential fans out there. The Bengals have been a punchline (and probably deserve it) mostly because their lows are so low and so frequent, but to an entire generation of fans there really isn't much to choose between the two franchises.

FlyerFanatic
08-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Nope, he said it when he fired Krivskey and put Jocketty in the GM position.

ahhh thats right. even then, lip service. raise the payroll, he needs to spend money to get FA to fill the needs or 2010 will be much of the same

will5979
08-07-2009, 09:06 AM
I understand your point, the Bengals have a laughable record over the years since Paul Brown died. OTOH, since Paul Brown died, the Reds and Bengals have each made the post season once. In the 33 years since the Big Red Machine won their second WS title the Bengals have been in the Super Bowl twice and the post season in 1981, 1982, 1988, 1990, and 2005. In those same 33 years the Reds have made the WS one time (and won!!!!) and made the post season in 1979, 1990, and 1995 (and got cheated in 1981 and 1994). Are the Bengals really that much worse than the Reds?

Sure, the Bengal's regular season winning percentage is much lower and the number of amazingly inept teams they have fielded is higher, but in terms of playoffs and championship contention things aren't really very different. The Reds are racking up a fairly historic (for the franchise) streak of ineptitude. The Bengals are so bad most years we forget the Reds haven't seriously contended for anything outside of 1999 in 14 years and counting. That means if you are younger than about 21 (i.e. all the kids in the potential fanbase!), you can't remember the Reds ever being very good. The Big Red Machine might as well be the Gashouse Gang for a growing proportion of the potential fans out there. The Bengals have been a punchline (and probably deserve it) mostly because their lows are so low and so frequent, but to an entire generation of fans there really isn't much to choose between the two franchises.

Thanks there buddaye, I really need to go see a shrink now. I think I'm more suicidal after reading that post than I was reading a post about how the Reds have only had 2 playoff appearances in 25 years. Man we suck and the sad part was I always used the trump card that we won three world championships inside of 15 years to prove that we didn't suck. Man do I feel like an ass.

And I don't care if they are my team, efh the Bungels for having more success than than the Reds. The Reds have always been the pride of Cincy and always should be.