PDA

View Full Version : Should Dusty go????

Red Forman
08-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's blog from NBCSports.com.....

Dusty Baker given a vote of confidence
By Craig Calcaterra

Last night's spectacularly unexpected start from Justin Lehr notwithstanding, the Reds are in freefall. They've lost tons of games -- they're 5-22 since their high water mark on the Fourth of July -- their putative ace is gone until 2011, and they've made trades that are perplexing to say the least. In such situations, a high-profile, expensive veteran manager tends to be in serious danger because, hey, anyone can lose with these guys, so why not do it with a cheap organizational soldier at the helm? That's not an option currently on the table in Cincy, however:

Reds CEO Bob Castellini said Wednesday that manager Dusty Baker's job is safe.

"Absolutely," Castellini said.

He said Baker will be back for 2010 - the final year of his contract - as well.

"Absolutely," Castellini said.

The Reds had lost eight straight and 14 of 15 games going into Wednesday's tilt with the Chicago Cubs. They were tied for last place in the National League Central with Pittsburgh.

"The team has not quit," Castellini said. "They are still playing hard."

Contrary to a lot of the stuff you see written about him, Dusty Baker is not a bad manager, and the extreme positions people take to that end are kind of silly. Baker has done well with veteran teams and has served as a stabilizing clubhouse presence. He is underrated in that regard, as that skill (i.e. serving as a stabilizing presence) is itself underrated.

Dusty has not done well with young and developing teams, however, and for that reason is he is probably ill-suited to be the Reds' manager. It's not urgent or anything -- the manager is not going to be the difference between winning it all and losing in Cincinnati in the next year or so -- but if I were Bob Castellini I'd investigate buying out the last year on Dusty's deal and finding a young teaching manager to keep around until the team has a plausible case for contention.

http://ctb.nbcsports.com/2009/08/dusty-baker-given-a-vote-of-confidence.html.php

***IMHO...

Though the $$$ could be used for a FA contract....

spend the $4 mil to buy DB out + be done with Dusty!

Let's face it....he was never a positive fit

for the circumstances of this Reds organization!

CySeymour
08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
All the red in that post is killing my eyes

WeLoveLarkin!!!
08-06-2009, 01:38 PM
haha. typical castellini...unbelievable

BigPoppa
08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
finding a young teaching manager

Rick Sweet ?

Red Forman
08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
All the red in that post is killing my eyes

BigKlu,

For U....

I'll change it to darkred.

LOL

malcontent
08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
They won't get within sniffing range of the Nationals if Toothpick is axed!

GIDP
08-06-2009, 02:54 PM
He should go solely on his rational and reasoning for the things he does. the problem is they will replace him with someone who will get similar results just because the team is built poorly every year.

Spend money more wisely 1st, get a manager 2nd.

mac624
08-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Absolutely he should go, but he won't because he's Bob's guy. Bob's blind as a bat and obviously has no understanding of baseball if he thinks Dusto is the right guy for this team. Hopefully, 2011 will be the year to win now, since Dusto will find a way to lose in 2010 I can guarentee it.

texasdave
08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
The real question to be addressed is How quickly should Dusty go?

Jack Burton
08-06-2009, 06:33 PM
To answer the question, yes. Would be hard to find a Reds fan that thinks he should stay.

gedred69
08-06-2009, 10:08 PM
He should go solely on his rational and reasoning for the things he does. the problem is they will replace him with someone who will get similar results just because the team is built poorly every year.

Spend money more wisely 1st, get a manager 2nd.

Absolute brilliance! No one, and I mean no one, could make a winner of this team. A triple A outfield, a shell of Harang, an overworked Weathers, (out of desperation), no Volquez, with the exception of Phillips and Votto a bench player starting IF? Who could make such a lineup a winner?

Ans: NO one.

Slyder
08-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Absolute brilliance! No one, and I mean no one, could make a winner of this team. A triple A outfield, a shell of Harang, an overworked Weathers, (out of desperation), no Volquez, with the exception of Phillips and Votto a bench player starting IF? Who could make such a lineup a winner?

The Mets seem to be putting it together for a team with an all star cast on the dl for most of it...

steig
08-07-2009, 09:01 AM
The Mets seem to be putting it together for a team with an all star cast on the dl for most of it...

The Mets are 6 games under .500 and 11 games out of first, how is that putting it together.

CySeymour
08-07-2009, 09:30 AM

I absolutely agree. The reincarnation of Casey Stengal could not produce a winner with this ball club. But that isn't the problem. The problem is, Dusty continues to make moves that prevent this team from winning as much as they cay. Such as strage lineups, sending starters back out when they should be pulled, not playing people he should.

Slyder
08-07-2009, 10:11 AM
They got hot at the end of July I thought that had carried over. But still 51 wins with 2/3 of the lineup out with various injuries. Compare that to the jokes of Duhhhsty's lineup.

Jack Burton
08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
With our luck, this is probably the one time that a guy gets a vote of confidence and actually ends up staying.

GIDP
08-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I absolutely agree. The reincarnation of Casey Stengal could not produce a winner with this ball club. But that isn't the problem. The problem is, Dusty continues to make moves that prevent this team from winning as much as they cay. Such as strage lineups, sending starters back out when they should be pulled, not playing people he should.

Yep. Build a better team then worry about the manager. We could also start with not giving Dusty these toys that he for some reason gravitates to. Namely weak hitting, free swinging players.

GBC Red
08-11-2009, 02:31 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I think Dusty should stay through next year. I just think at this point we should let him finish out his contract and go from there. Personally, I wish we would have hired Mackanin, but outside of Sweet, I don't know who else we could get right now.

CySeymour
08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Yep. Build a better team then worry about the manager. We could also start with not giving Dusty these toys that he for some reason gravitates to. Namely weak hitting, free swinging players.

Bingo!!! We have a winner!!! Give just about any manager alive a player to misuse, and they will do it.

BEETTLEBUG
08-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Ron Oester

Jack Burton
08-11-2009, 06:52 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I think Dusty should stay through next year. I just think at this point we should let him finish out his contract and go from there. Personally, I wish we would have hired Mackanin, but outside of Sweet, I don't know who else we could get right now.

So you're saying you want to forfeit next season also? Worst manager in the bigs and you want him to manage your team for another season? Should have been fired last year.

Captain Hook
08-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Give just about any manager alive a player to misuse, and they will do it.

Really?I wish this was true.Baker would be your average manager and that I could live with.I mean, if you told a manager"here's this dude I got you, know I want you to misuse him the best you can"most managers could figure it out but Dusty does it all on his own on a nightly basis.

mlh1981
08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Mangled starting lineups and love affair with Wily Tavares aside, no manager wins with this group.

Captain Hook
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Mangled starting lineups and love affair with Wily Tavares aside, no manager wins with this group.

No one is saying that they would.It doesn't make Baker a good manager though.188-247 over his last 2 2/3s years as a coach is very poor.

CWRed
08-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Dusty must go but I am not confident the upper management knows what constitutes being a competent manager or player. Dusty just doesn't get it and is not smart. He's a player's manager blah blah blah. Yes because if you can't play the game he's sure to play you any way.

Kingspoint
08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I'd rather have any person from Redszone manage the REDS over Baker. I can't see one of them ever starting Taveras, unless it's in the #8 hole or #9 hole when Owings is pitching.

GIDP
08-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I'd be willing to bet that a few posters around here would make a better GM, scouts and manager than what we got.

Hondo
08-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, heres the Real Deal... I think this team keeps Baker because of his money owed in 2010...

I also think this team needs to trade Arroyo and Harang just to move the contracts... Cordero too if they can and start over building with Bruce, Votto, and Cueto...