PDA

View Full Version : Hal McCoy Says Goodbye

HalMorrisRules
08-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Hal was told today that the DDN would not have need of his services next year. Love or hate him, (I would be the former) you can not deny he has earned everyone of the accolades and honors that have been given him throughout his 37 year career covering the Reds. Here's to you Hal.

Hal's Blog (http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2009/08/06/the_hammer_fell_today_and.html)

GIDP
08-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm not much of a fan mainly because of how he seemed to be way past his prime in recent years but any time someone is told they are fired or told they wont have their job next year its kind of sad. Hes a staple of the media for the Reds.

I will be very interested in seeing some other point of views though. The current crop leaves much to be desired.

gilpdawg
08-06-2009, 10:19 PM
He will be missed. I know some give him crap for occasionally getting something wrong, but hell, he's 68! I can't believe he has been on the beat for 37 years. The span of a beat writer is typically short. They go on to be columnists or something and get off the road. The guy's had an amazing career. I'd love to sit and just listen to him tell stories for a couple hours.

Old NDN
08-06-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't think the DDN is going to have a full time sportswriter cover the Reds next year. Definitely the end of an era.

HalMorrisRules
08-06-2009, 10:24 PM
If I am not mistaken, Dayton was the only newspaper to employ a full time MLB beat writer where there wasnt an MLB team in their city.

GIDP
08-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Well if they arent replacing him then that really sucks. I didnt really read the good bye thing.

davereds24
08-06-2009, 10:41 PM
This is sad news. Wonder how long it will be til the Enquirer and DDN combine?

BurgervilleBuck
08-07-2009, 12:03 AM
This is sad news. Wonder how long it will be til the Enquirer and DDN combine?
They're owned by different companies. The Enquirer is being ridden into irrelevancy by Gannett. The DDN is owned by Cox.

bgwilly31
08-07-2009, 01:08 AM
very sad news. The reds are going in the toilet right now. Everything is imploding.

davereds24
08-07-2009, 01:37 AM
They're owned by different companies. The Enquirer is being ridden into irrelevancy by Gannett. The DDN is owned by Cox.

you've never seen 2 different companies combine?

JayBruceFan
08-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Why would they combine?

Ghosts of 1990
08-07-2009, 01:56 AM
this stinks I enjoy Mccoys takes and in depth unique tidbits.

lidspinner
08-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I too enjoy HM.....I think he was past his prime...but hey, we all get past our prime at sometime in our career's yet we all still seem to think we are derserved a job.....I bet 99% of you, including me, could be replaced at your current job by someone who could do it just as good, if not better, for a cheaper price. Hal did the beat all this time and he has endured these last 15 years of baseball purgatory and he did it with a smile on his face. I never took his word as gospel, but I did enjoy the "ole timer" point of view that he gave.

You will be missed Hal, hope you continue to live life to the fullest.....Hope to see ya around the Reds games more often now that you can relax and just be a fan....

steig
08-07-2009, 08:56 AM
This is a sad day. While I know that many people on this board do not like Hal, it has always been hard for me to dislike him. I, and probably many other members at Redszone, grew up reading Hal's articles and commentary in the DDN. Reading his stories each day was part of the process that developed my love of baseball and the Reds. For that I thank Hal and wish him the best of luck in life.

redsfanfalcon
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
you've never seen 2 different companies combine?

I noticed in the DDN this morning that John Fay had a piece...I would think they are both owned by Cox if that is the case.

HalMorrisRules
08-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I noticed in the DDN this morning that John Fay had a piece...I would think they are both owned by Cox if that is the case.

If I am not not terribly mistaken, the major Ohio newspapers joined forces earlier this year where they can share each others articles. Kind of a pooling their resources situation. Im pretty sure that was the reason why Fay was in the DDN.

Here is a national writer taking the DDN to task for not telling it the way it really is.

DDN Distorting the Record? (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/08/07/hall-of-fame-beat-writer-hal-mccoy-forced-into-retirement/)

Newman4
08-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I'll miss Hal. He truly is a gifted writer. People in the past gave him a hard time for not having the latest scoop or putting out some rumors that ended up being untrue, but he gave it his all and his columns were always a good read. It amazes me how well he has done given the limitations that he mentioned and the fact that technology has advanced so quickly over his career. My parents are about the same age and they don't "blog" and "tweet" lol. I hope the Reds keep him close in some capacity.

mikemo14
08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Tough way to end a long career, however he always seemed to be griping all the time about one thing or another. It never sounded to me like he appreciated having a job like that, which most people would die for. Going to 162 baseball games a year is not a bad gig.

Kingspoint
08-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Good-bye.

gedred69
08-07-2009, 08:22 PM
He is the only bridge to the glorious past of the BRM in the print media. Media in general, this leaves only Marty. McCoy is in the HOF for a reason. He got the story.

goreds2
08-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I never usually read his articles but always liked his 2nd inning conversations with Marty.

NastyBoy
08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
I will miss the old guy... I always appreciated him a bit more after problems with his vision almost caused him to quit, but it was the players, Aaron Boone in particular that made him continure. He really loves covering the Reds and it is sad to see it come to an end.