PDA

View Full Version : Old Demons resurfacing for Hamilton?

REDblooded
08-08-2009, 11:57 AM
http://deadspin.com/5332801/the-devil-is-still-in-josh-hamilton/gallery/?skyline=true&s=x

I hope this was simply a night of drinking a bit too much, but it doesn't look great...

As much as I like Josh (was my favorite player when he was with the Reds), this is why no matter what, we made the right move in getting Volquez.

big boy
08-08-2009, 12:15 PM
As much as I like Josh (was my favorite player when he was with the Reds), this is why no matter what, we made the right move in getting Volquez.

Got that right.

GIDP
08-08-2009, 12:34 PM
I dont see him with a drink in his hands in any of the photos. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

redlegs2370
08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Johnny Narron says photos were fake

http://deadspin.com/5332909/josh-hamiltons-mentor-id-be-shocked-if-photos-are-real

REDblooded
08-08-2009, 01:05 PM
TBH... I really doubt the photo's were faked.

That being said, as long as he's not doing drugs, I'm 100% in his corner still. Obviously he's a very impulsive, thrill-seeking personality type. A crazy night of drinking isn't out of the realm of possibility... As long as it ends there and doesn't hurt anyone, or lead to drug use..

JayBruce
08-08-2009, 01:28 PM
TBH... I really doubt the photo's were faked.

That being said, as long as he's not doing drugs, I'm 100% in his corner still. Obviously he's a very impulsive, thrill-seeking personality type. A crazy night of drinking isn't out of the realm of possibility... As long as it ends there and doesn't hurt anyone, or lead to drug use..

A crazy night of drinking would probably lead to a crazy night of recreational drug use for a recovering addict.

Looks like he was just enjoying some enhanced chesticles, though. Who cares (besides his wife, of course)?

redsfanfalcon
08-08-2009, 01:33 PM
It also looks like a site that likes to see people fall, so the photos could have been easily doctored up.

GIDP
08-08-2009, 01:37 PM
There is no doubt in my mind its Josh Hamilton. Now it just depends on how old they are and if MLB network was shopped onto the TVs to make it look recent.

REDblooded
08-08-2009, 02:11 PM
A crazy night of drinking would probably lead to a crazy night of recreational drug use for a recovering addict.

Looks like he was just enjoying some enhanced chesticles, though. Who cares (besides his wife, of course)?

Wrong... does it increase the likelihood? Certainly. But they don't have to go together. Hamilton is tested every 3 days according to Narron. That's not enough time to get coke out of the system.

I was addicted to coke and meth myself... I can get drunk to this day without feeling like I need to enhance that with a narcotic.

ochre
08-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I closed the ORG equivalent thread because it was approaching this from a "religion angle". You guys are ok so far, but please keep the religion components of this issue out of this thread.

Thank You.

goreds2
08-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I dont see him with a drink in his hands in any of the photos. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I am sure that makes his WIFE feel better. :confused:

GIDP
08-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I am sure that makes his WIFE feel better. :confused:

Im sure it does too

GIDP
08-08-2009, 03:03 PM
After provocative pictures surfaced on Saturday morning, Josh Hamilton admitted that he suffered a lapse in his sobriety in January.
"I'm embarrassed about it. For the Rangers, I'm embarrassed about it. For my wife, my kids," Hamilton said. "It's one of those things that just reinforces about alcohol. Unfortunately, it happened. It just reinforces to me that if I'm out there getting ready for a season and taking my focus off the most important thing in my recovery, which is my relationship with Christ, it's amazing how those things creep back in." No disciplinary action will be taken by the Rangers, who were told about the incident the day after it happened.

Captain Hook
08-08-2009, 05:23 PM
The girls in the photos looked like they knew what they were doing.All of the photos appeared to be staged IMO.I can't imagine the circumstances behind Josh allowing the photo shoot happen.He must have been very drunk/under the influence of drugs or else he is just plain dumb.

Boston Red
08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
.He must have been very drunk/under the influence of drugs or else he is just plain dumb.

My guess is both.

Jones1
08-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Hamiltons always had an affliction for young women. I said this after watching him ask a ninth grade girl what she was up to after the game during spring training in 07 as shown in the video below, I knew it then he was going to crack. If he's drinking you can almost assuredly think he's using hard drugs again, It happens that quick! Its a shame cause the guy is a great player. He has one of the best swings Ive ever seen and the HR Derby last year was one of the greatest moments Ive watched in baseball. But this really does prove the trade needed to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKplqfDcURc

ILoveWilly
08-08-2009, 06:22 PM
I hope he's alright, and lights it up like he does like last year and the year before. He's been doing pretty poorly at the plate this year. It seems like a lot of people are obsessed with either proving they were right or someone else was wrong about a trade or not. I don't need Josh to have a crappy career or relapse just for the satisfaction of saying 'see, we made the right move!' Same thing with Stewart and Roenike. Whether a player you trade goes on to be an All Star or gets release after a year doesn't change a thing as to the player you got for a trade.

mroby85
08-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I hope he's alright, and lights it up like he does like last year and the year before. He's been doing pretty poorly at the plate this year. It seems like a lot of people are obsessed with either proving they were right or someone else was wrong about a trade or not. I don't need Josh to have a crappy career or relapse just for the satisfaction of saying 'see, we made the right move!' Same thing with Stewart and Roenike. Whether a player you trade goes on to be an All Star or gets release after a year doesn't change a thing as to the player you got for a trade.

I agree, I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't make me feel better in a way about the trade simply because i'm a Reds fan, but Josh Hamilton was a 1st class guy while he was here, and I wish him nothing but the best. He's one of my favorite players that have ever come through here, and i'm still sad we didn't get to see him play here longer.

mlh1981
08-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Hamiltons always had an affliction for young women. I said this after watching him ask a ninth grade girl what she was up to after the game during spring training in 07 as shown in the video below

At first glance, she may have appeared to be older? *shrugs*

He asked the question, and THEN she said she was going to be a freshmen. Not the other way around. He escaped the conversation pretty quickly after hearing this piece of news.

Not that it makes it any better............considering he has a wife (who is pretty damn hot, by the way)

steig
08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I want to see Hamilton succeed and be a top tier player. But I'm glad we traded him because I didn't want to take the chance he would crack after he signed a long term contract. I hope he has things straight and keep control of himself.

WildcatFan
08-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I closed the ORG equivalent thread because it was approaching this from a "religion angle". You guys are ok so far, but please keep the religion components of this issue out of this thread.

Thank You.

Serious question, not trying to be difficult: Why can't the religion side of the situation be addressed, especially when it's so obviously a focal point of the story? I've been reading about this around the internet, and even Dallas newspapers are heavily focusing on the "religion angle." According to Josh, he wouldn't have pushed to become sober if it weren't for his faith, and to ignore that when we get reports of his backsliding is to waltz the elephant right into the room.

Not saying we should turn into an argument about God, I'm just saying it's a relevant issue to this story.

Stormy Weathers
08-08-2009, 07:58 PM
After provocative pictures surfaced on Saturday morning, Josh Hamilton admitted that he suffered a lapse in his sobriety in January.
"I'm embarrassed about it. For the Rangers, I'm embarrassed about it. For my wife, my kids," Hamilton said. "It's one of those things that just reinforces about alcohol. Unfortunately, it happened. It just reinforces to me that if I'm out there getting ready for a season and taking my focus off the most important thing in my recovery, which is my relationship with Christ, it's amazing how those things creep back in." No disciplinary action will be taken by the Rangers, who were told about the incident the day after it happened.

This makes me laugh. If the Rangers tried to discipline him he would win in court so easy it would be funny.

Stormy Weathers
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Hamiltons always had an affliction for young women. I said this after watching him ask a ninth grade girl what she was up to after the game during spring training in 07 as shown in the video below, I knew it then he was going to crack. If he's drinking you can almost assuredly think he's using hard drugs again, It happens that quick! Its a shame cause the guy is a great player. He has one of the best swings Ive ever seen and the HR Derby last year was one of the greatest moments Ive watched in baseball. But this really does prove the trade needed to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKplqfDcURc

Your post is full of stuff you know nothing about and couldn't be more wrong about.

He had a conversation with a girl he was signing for. He did not try to hit on her at all. That has no correlation to a guy going back to the bottle or drugs. He definitely isn't using hard drugs again as he is tested frequently because of his prior offenses and hasn't failed any or he would be suspended for quite a LONG time. That was when he was a Red, he is now a Ranger in his 2nd year, so that really happened quick. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fon Duc Tow
08-08-2009, 08:21 PM
JH: So what are you doing tonight?
Girl: I'm a freshman in high school
JH: Are you really?

lol @ Clumsy Sober Married Josh

bgwilly31
08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Clumsy. ^^:rolleyes:

He asked a hot girl what she was doing. Most young girls look to be older than their age these days. As soon as she said highschool he bailed. That was the "are you really" I would of done the same thing. What else would you have had him do.

Look fellas. Maybe some of you are old farts or whatever. But NEWSFLASH!

Its perfectly accepatble for a man of in his prime to go bar hopping. Have a few harmless drinks with friends and enjoy some hot womens company. which IS ABSOLUTELY all those pictures are showing.

What because he dropped drugs now he has to be saint or he's automatically sniffing again. Give me a break. You know pictures of baseball players like this you could find around the league, married or not. The pics just never get mentioned. Some lowlife just saw the oppertunity to make some money with these pics and call it a relapse.

I think its absolutely pathetic of those trying to attack or justify this trade or their opinion of relapsing by these pics. Anybody with a brain and common knowledge would see these are harmless. The only thing you could possibly argue would be the wife thing. And in that case who cares. its his personal life. the only one that should care would be his personal family. You know ho wmany ball players have affairs on a regular bases on their wives.

Cmon boys. Lets mature up a bit.

JayBruce
08-08-2009, 09:25 PM

He asked a hot girl what she was doing. Most young girls look to be older than their age these days. As soon as she said highschool he bailed. That was the "are you really" I would of done the same thing. What else would you have had him do.

Its perfectly accepatble for a man of in his prime to go bar hopping. Have a few harmless drinks with friends and enjoy some hot womens company. which IS ABSOLUTELY all those pictures are showing.

What because he dropped drugs now he has to be saint or he's automatically sniffing again. Give me a break. You know pictures of baseball players like this you could find around the league, married or not. The pics just never get mentioned. Some lowlife just saw the oppertunity to make some money with these pics and call it a relapse.

I think its absolutely pathetic of those trying to attack or justify this trade or their opinion of relapsing by these pics. Anybody with a brain and common knowledge would see these are harmless. The only thing you could possibly argue would be the wife thing. And in that case who cares. its his personal life. the only one that should care would be his personal family. You know ho wmany ball players have affairs on a regular bases on their wives.

Anybody with a brain would realize it probably isn't a good idea for a recovering drug addict to be in a bar drinking alcohol. He's supposed to be clean and sober, which means no drugs or ALCOHOL. I couldn't care less about marital infidelity, but it absolutely is a big deal that he was drunk. Depending on who he's hanging out with, a couple drinks could lead to a couple more drinks, then maybe a few lines of coke. At that point, his career is over and he loses everything.

He has way too much to lose to be doing stuff like this.

Chip R
08-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Serious question, not trying to be difficult: Why can't the religion side of the situation be addressed, especially when it's so obviously a focal point of the story? I've been reading about this around the internet, and even Dallas newspapers are heavily focusing on the "religion angle." According to Josh, he wouldn't have pushed to become sober if it weren't for his faith, and to ignore that when we get reports of his backsliding is to waltz the elephant right into the room.

Not saying we should turn into an argument about God, I'm just saying it's a relevant issue to this story.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719

bgwilly31
08-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Anybody with a brain would realize it probably isn't a good idea for a recovering drug addict to be in a bar drinking alcohol. He's supposed to be clean and sober, which means no drugs or ALCOHOL. I couldn't care less about marital infidelity, but it absolutely is a big deal that he was drunk. Depending on who he's hanging out with, a couple drinks could lead to a couple more drinks, then maybe a few lines of coke. At that point, his career is over and he loses everything.

Right you know everything. How do you know he was completely wasted.

you know wasted a man has to be to flirt with some girls and take body shots.

news to you bud. not sure if your a man or not to catch my drift. But i think most guys around here wouldnt need to be drunk out of their mind to dance and take body shots with some fine looking females.

also even if he was completely wasted. It all depends on who you surround yourself with. Good freinds who have never touched the stuff. Wouldnt let him go grab some crack. Still able to go out and let loose once in awhile.

GIDP
08-08-2009, 11:19 PM

Why am I not surprised to see this post.

JayBruce
08-08-2009, 11:53 PM
:rolleyes:

Right you know everything. How do you know he was completely wasted.

Uhhh, I know he was drunk because he ADMITTED it. But, what would he know?

you know wasted a man has to be to flirt with some girls and take body shots.

news to you bud. not sure if your a man or not to catch my drift. But i think most guys around here wouldnt need to be drunk out of their mind to dance and take body shots with some fine looking females.

I'm not even entirely sure what you're saying here since your writing skills are so poor, so maybe I'm missing something, but are you insinuating that I'm gay? Not sure how you would come to that conclusion other than a reading comprehension fail on your part, but whatever. I'd be offended if were coming from any other person on this board, but since it's you, it doesn't bother me.

also even if he was completely wasted. It all depends on who you surround yourself with. Good freinds who have never touched the stuff. Wouldnt let him go grab some crack. Still able to go out and let loose once in awhile.

Good friends wouldn't put their friends in bad situations, and giving alcohol to an addict is a bad situation. I would hope that if you had a friend who was a recovering addict, you wouldn't drag him to a bar and pour shots down his throat; although, I'm guessing you would since it's "no big deal", right?

lidspinner
08-08-2009, 11:54 PM

maybe if we did care and everyone cared.....the divorce rate would not be so high.....but thats another argument.....JH is allowed to go to the bar whenever he chooses...addicts fall off the wagon all the time....the important thing is that he learns from this fall and tried to stop it from happening again. But god for bid Josh, have some respect for your wife.

REDblooded
08-09-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what classes you guys have attended, or what real life experience you've had in life that has given you the impression that getting drunk automatically means you go have a line... Seriously, that's ridiculous and ignorant.

GIDP
08-09-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what classes you guys have attended, or what real life experience you've had in life that has given you the impression that getting drunk automatically means you go have a line... Seriously, that's ridiculous and ignorant.

You are going to sit there and tell me you think a former drug addict, and alcoholic having a drink isnt a warning sign?

goreds2
08-09-2009, 12:32 AM
I just saw a good interview on ESPN News regarding this. He writes a book then does this and ask asks us and the people above us to forgive him. :confused:

REDblooded
08-09-2009, 12:56 AM
You are going to sit there and tell me you think a former drug addict, and alcoholic having a drink isnt a warning sign?

Josh Hamilton will never fail his team by having a drink... That's what I'm concerned about.

I'm saying, as a former hardcore cocaine and meth user myself (life experience here....), that I can have a drink anytime I want (mmm Magic Hat right now) without wanting to get drugs. However, if you put me in a room away from my girlfriend with cocaine and left me to my own devices, I would relapse in an instant...

I'm just saying, don't connect the drinking with the drugs... he's being tested every 3 days. You CAN'T pass a drug test 3 days later if you've used... I had a failed test for cocaine 4 days after using... The amount I used the day that caused me to "pop" was VERY minimal.

REDblooded
08-09-2009, 12:57 AM
I just saw a good interview on ESPN News regarding this. He writes a book then does this and ask asks us and the people above us to forgive him. :confused:

If he didn't go home with one of these girls, and if he didn't use drugs that night, then yes... I don't see a reason why he should even have to ask for the fans forgiveness. He's a human. He engaged in a night of legal activity...

GIDP
08-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Josh Hamilton will never fail his team by having a drink... That's what I'm concerned about.

I'm saying, as a former hardcore cocaine and meth user myself (life experience here....), that I can have a drink anytime I want (mmm Magic Hat right now) without wanting to get drugs. However, if you put me in a room away from my girlfriend with cocaine and left me to my own devices, I would relapse in an instant...

I'm just saying, don't connect the drinking with the drugs... he's being tested every 3 days. You CAN'T pass a drug test 3 days later if you've used... I had a failed test for cocaine 4 days after using... The amount I used the day that caused me to "pop" was VERY minimal.

Sweet and if I saw a meth user smoking dope or huffing paint Id still consider it a red flag. I certainly would think it was a concern. Stop acting like it isnt. I have drugged out family members and I see how things work. Everyone knows how drugs work. Just because you were hooked on them and claim drinking doesn't effect you doesnt really change what I have experienced with people in my life. A drug addict who has had major drinking problems as well doing things like drinking and hooking up with chicks in bars is a big concerning thing.

demas863
08-09-2009, 11:40 AM

bgwilly31
08-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Ive made my point. if you cant see it, than i cant help you. :rolleyes:

bgwilly31
08-09-2009, 11:52 AM
:rolleyes:
I'm not even entirely sure what you're saying here since your writing skills are so poor, so maybe I'm missing something, but are you insinuating that I'm gay? Not sure how you would come to that conclusion other than a reading comprehension fail on your part, but whatever. I'd be offended if were coming from any other person on this board, but since it's you, it doesn't bother me.

Typical. Instead of addressing the points i made. You turn to bashing my grammar and claiming i called you gay. :rolleyes:

thorn
08-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I think the point here is when your drunk, you don't have the same judgement, and thus are more likely to do something stupid, including drugs. That doesn't mean he was wanting or doing drugs, but his judgement was obvisouly impaired. And it's NEVER ok, IMO, for someone who is a recovering drug addict, who is a christian and MARRIED to be putting yourself in that situation where you impaired judgement can make you do some really stupid things that you most likely wouldn't do otherwise. My wife doesn't mind me going to stip clubs and remain sober, she minds if I go, get drunk and party with other women because she knows my judgement while drunk is not the best. Just my take.

ochre
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
congratulations!

You've managed to get the thread closed without cracking the religion egg!

closing it, as it seems to have devolved into a tidy little personal attack "battle"ground.