PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers trade partners?

Old NDN
08-09-2009, 08:45 AM
MLBTR is reporting the Dodgers are in a "pitching bind" because of all their injuries. Is there anything on the Reds' scrap heap (Harang, Arroyo, Weathers, etc.) that could bring them somebody useful in return? Or would just a salary dump be acceptable?

dweston
08-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, not sure I would call Aaron or Bronson scrap-heap pitchers, but I would think that their contracts make it tougher for the Reds to deal them. I think they certainly have some value but Im not sure how much.
I also think that the Dirty Old Men - Cordero, Weathers and Rhodes - HAVE to have some value to some contending teams since bullpens are so important in the playoffs.

davereds24
08-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I just hope they don't give away Rhodes since he has a great contract for next year. Any of the other 4 I wouldn't mind them pretty much giving away for a couple low minor leaguers with potential, although after losing a couple young arms in the pen to trades I don't see Cordero going anywhere.

Sure is strange to think Arroyo is more valuable than Harang.

Hondo
08-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know which Reds have cleared waivers? I wish we would have bitten on Rios by the way!

Slyder
08-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know which Reds have cleared waivers? I wish we would have bitten on Rios by the way!

Rios is due ~$60 mil next 6 years. If we wanted to spend that kind of dough on an OF we could have just resigned Dunn and probably gotten better production.

mac624
08-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I've really like what Harang has done over the last couple of starts. He's changed his mechanics some and I got to think his trade value has increased. I'm not sure if Walt trades him though, especially with the Volquez situation.

Captain Hook
08-10-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't usually make predictions but I'm going to say that something happens here.I can't imagine how a team in need like LA doesn't make a nice offer for Harang.I'd guess that they not only take on the payroll but send some nice prospects our way.I really like Harang but we need someone to take on some of our payroll.If Aaroyo keeps pitching well I could also see him going as well with another team taking on his salary.If these two things actually happen we could see the Reds being big time buyers this off season.This would leave some holes to fill but with over 22 million dollars to spend things could be very interesting.

I know we have become attached to our two high priced starters but this is imo the best case scenario.They can be replaced for far less and there are options out there.Lets face it, we need to change thing up because what we have been doing hasn't been working.I for one wouldn't mind seeing a very different 2010 Reds team.This is something that hasn't been done in the past and it's about time that we see a big change.The worst that could happen is that we could suck next year and as it is right now most of us think that is going to be the case anyways.

Old NDN
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Man, I'm not sure what I would do, if I'm Walt. I can't see waiving/trading Arroyo or Harang just to dump their salaries. Not without a plan to replace them. Our minor league system hasn't produced anyone better, or they would have been here by now. I know you're gonna save a bunch of money for next year, but for what? I don't think you can attract any decent free agents without overpaying. Why would they want to come here?That's why the Reds are in this predicament now. Bad decisions on contracts for under performing or marginal players. How much would increasing the payroll help? Maybe Bob doesn't have the cabbage to go that route. BTW, I thought a Harang/Weathers package to the Dodgers might have gotten us a good return. Too late now.

vottofan4life
08-11-2009, 04:18 PM
How about a trade this offseason?

Reds acquire Jeremy Guthrie,Luke Scott,Juan Pierre,cash

Orioles acquire Matt Maloney,Yonder Alonso,Lars Anderson,Ethan Martin,Scott Elbert,Manny Delcarmen

Red Sox acquire Aaron Harang,Mike Lincoln,Willy Taveras,Guierrolo Mota

Dodgers acquire Brian Roberts,Daisuke Matsusaka,Dany Baez

Blood Red Path
08-11-2009, 06:15 PM

You would give up Alonso, Maloney and Harang in a trade that got us that???

Alonso should bring difference-making ML talent, not more retreads to prolong the misery.

bounty37h
08-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Orioles acquire Matt Maloney,Yonder Alonso,Lars Anderson,Ethan Martin,Scott Elbert,Manny Delcarmen

Red Sox acquire Aaron Harang,Mike Lincoln,Willy Taveras,Guierrolo Mota

Dodgers acquire Brian Roberts,Daisuke Matsusaka,Dany Baez

Dusty, is that you? Are you serious???

Slyder
08-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Trash for Alonso, Harang, and Trash? No thanks.

Hondo
08-12-2009, 08:58 PM
I think this team needs to trade for George Brett.