PDA

View Full Version : Wladimir Balentien our new LF next year?

gobucks106
08-10-2009, 11:59 AM
He's hit and played well since we got him. I sure he's going to get some at bats the rest of the season. I know it's a small sample size but does anyone think he has a legitimate shot at making this team next year? As our our starting LF. I think he's got the potential to put up numbers like BA .285 HR 25 RBI's 90. How about this lineup for next season :

CF Dickerson
SS Phillips
1B Votto
3B Rolen
RF Bruce
LF Balentien
2B Frazier
C Hanigan

GIDP
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
we have 2 months to make this decision. I think he has a pretty good chance to be a good player but he has a good eye. If he keeps the strike outs in check like he did in the minors the dude will be a good player for us. I hope it really works out.

REDblooded
08-10-2009, 01:08 PM
We definitely have to temper our expectations until we see how he adjusts to the league adjusting to him...

That being said, I definitely have high hopes on this one...

Ghosts of 1990
08-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I'd like to see Balentien in LF in 2010. I like his upside.

Z-Fly
08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
If I had to guess Votto will be our LF of the future.

Chris Sabowned
08-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I think Balentien could make our roster, but I think the 4th OF role would be better for him.

malcontent
08-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes.

mac624
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I think that's what we'll see. Now, if we can just get that SS position figured out........

davereds24
08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
what makes you think he will hit .285?

gobucks106
08-10-2009, 04:08 PM
I think Balentien could make our roster, but I think the 4th OF role would be better for him.

You really think that Yonder will make the club out of spring training and be our opening day 1B. He just recently came off the DL from the broken hand and tehy already shut him down. Said he didn't look right. I also don't think Valakia can hit enough at the Major League level to play shortstop everday. If it was defense we wanted then Jansih would play their everyday. Frazier is playing second base for our double AA affiliate in North Carolina. I think their is a reason he is being looked at to play second. I'd like to see him up with the big club for a cup of coffee before the seaon is over. I really think Brandon could make the transition to SS. We know he has a major league caliber SS arm. Now time will tell if he can pick as good at short as he has at second.

dweston
08-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Hasnt the organization recently poo-pooed the rumors of Phillips to SS? And by organization I mean the Reds, not THE organization. ;)

Hondo
08-10-2009, 08:02 PM
I really hope you aren't suggesting Dickerson be the Starting CF for 2010?

That project broke this year... Could have had a 30 Homer Guy in Rios though...

No Guts, No Glory...

jfleur87
08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Dude (Wlad) just seems to hit the ball hard every time. I haven't heard anyone say they hear a different sound off of his bat like with Bruce or Dunn when they were up and comers, but dang, the ball just seems to jump off his bat more so than the current group of players

Captain Hook
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I really hope you aren't suggesting Dickerson be the Starting CF for 2010?

That project broke this year... Could have had a 30 Homer Guy in Rios though...

No Guts, No Glory...

Taveras,Dickerson and Stubbs are our options for CF in 2010.This isn't going to change.I'd take Dickerson right now but Stubbs 45 SBs and .365 OBP in AAA is starting to look pretty good.The word is that he is well above average in the field as well.We'll see.

dweston
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Taveras,Dickerson and Stubbs are our options for CF in 2010.This isn't going to change.I'd take Dickerson right now but Stubbs 45 SBs and .365 OBP in AAA is starting to look pretty good.The word is that he is well above average in the field as well.We'll see.

IMO,Tavares will start because he has the biggest contract.

Blood Red Path
08-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Could have had a 30 Homer Guy in Rios though...

No Guts, No Glory...

I agree with the sentiment about Rios being a Gutsy, and potentailly very successful pick-up, but...

The guy has 81 HR in 3353 career plate appearences.

Rios is a very nice all-around player that I would've been stoked to see Walt claim, but he is NOT a 30 HR guy.

Captain Hook
08-10-2009, 09:47 PM
IMO,Tavares will start because he has the biggest contract.

I think it will be Tavaras to but only because Baker is an idiot....uhhh I mean really likes his speed.Willy would be my last choice.

Slyder
08-11-2009, 12:44 AM
I think it will be Tavaras to but only because Baker is an idiot....uhhh I mean really likes his speed.Willy would be my last choice.

I heard Tavares is dating Duhhhsty's other daughter. WT likes going on double dates with Patterson so they can discuss who sucked more as a Red.

bounty37h
08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Hasnt the organization recently poo-pooed the rumors of Phillips to SS? And by organization I mean the Reds, not THE organization. ;)

Thanks for clarifying, by poo-poo I thought you meant the Reds.

BLEEDS
08-11-2009, 10:05 AM
I say we go with 3 4th OF-ers next year.

Gomes, Nix, and Balentin.

Oh, the love for the 4th OF-er and the SSS.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

NastyBoy
08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Don't count out Todd Frazier playing left field or shortstop for the Reds in the near future. He is little on the large size for playing SS, but no bigger than ARod.

Hondo
08-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I agree with the sentiment about Rios being a Gutsy, and potentailly very successful pick-up, but...

The guy has 81 HR in 3353 career plate appearences.

Rios is a very nice all-around player that I would've been stoked to see Walt claim, but he is NOT a 30 HR guy.

ESPN just had an article about him being picked up on waivers and said that most Baseball people think he is a 30/30 guy but he just doesn't have the desire to be the best, rather is a "coaster"...

JayBruceFan
08-16-2009, 01:13 AM

The Reds could always move Jay Bruce back to CF and stick Jonny Gomes in right

But that's just a pipe dream :D

GIDP
08-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Stubbs is viewed as pretty much the best defensive CF in the minors. He does everything very well. The only part that isn't plus plus (range, routes, and things like that) on Stubbs when it comes to D is his arm and that doesn't mean he has a weak one its not a cannon like Bruce.

GIDP
08-16-2009, 01:46 AM
The Reds could always move Jay Bruce back to CF and stick Jonny Gomes in right

But that's just a pipe dream :D

Thats what they should have done if they didnt like Dickerson as an every day CF to start the year thats for sure. :o