PDA

View Full Version : Who are the september call ups?

GIDP
08-12-2009, 04:16 AM
Guys on the 40 man
Pitchers that arent hurt
Lecure
Maloney
Ramirez

Position players who arent hurt
Sutton
Yonder (ill expect him to be healthy enough)
Francisco

Everyone else is out for the year.

You have to think Francisco and Yonder arent going to be. I expect the 3 pitchers to be called up, and Sutton for sure. Just adding it up thats 29 on the active roster with out making any 60 day DL or DFA moves.

Guys who could/should be called up not on the 40
Valaika
Stubbs

Players who could be 60 day DLed
Volquez
Richar
Lincoln
Bray

Of those 4 id only expect Lincoln to be.

Players that could be DFA'd
Kip Wells

All in all we probably only are going to have 6 call ups max, and 5 most likely given the current situation of the 40 man. The 3 pitchers, Stubbs, and Sutton. To get Stubbs on the 40 man Wells or Lincoln are going to have to be moved off it in some fashion. I can't see them not making that 40 man move considering some of the quotes on Stubbs from Walt.

It's 4 AM and I dont know if I made any mistakes but if I did please scream berate and cuss me out until I fix them.

mth123
08-12-2009, 04:58 AM
Guys on the 40 man
Pitchers that arent hurt
Lecure
Maloney
Ramirez

Position players who arent hurt
Sutton
Yonder (ill expect him to be healthy enough)
Francisco

Everyone else is out for the year.

You have to think Francisco and Yonder arent going to be. I expect the 3 pitchers to be called up, and Sutton for sure. Just adding it up thats 29 on the active roster with out making any 60 day DL or DFA moves.

Guys who could/should be called up not on the 40
Valaika
Stubbs

Players who could be 60 day DLed
Volquez
Richar
Lincoln
Bray

Of those 4 id only expect Lincoln to be.

Players that could be DFA'd
Kip Wells

All in all we probably only are going to have 6 call ups max, and 5 most likely given the current situation of the 40 man. The 3 pitchers, Stubbs, and Sutton. To get Stubbs on the 40 man Wells or Lincoln are going to have to be moved off it in some fashion. I can't see them not making that 40 man move considering some of the quotes on Stubbs from Walt.

It's 4 AM and I dont know if I made any mistakes but if I did please scream berate and cuss me out until I fix them.

I'll take a guess.

Lecure, Maloney, Ramirez and Sutton are locks.

Richar to the 60 Day DL and Stubbs comes up.
Heisey is added in the spot cleared by Weathers.

I have to wonder though if Reds made some promises to the minor league free agents they signed. Sometimes teams get some of the minor league vets to sign by promising a September cup of coffee in the majors. Jeff Kennard, Darnell McDonald and Kevin Barker are examples of guys who may come up while others go on the 60 Day DL. They won't be taking a spot during the Rule 5 since they'll be released the day after the season ends.

SirFelixCat
08-12-2009, 06:03 AM
You missed Heisey in guys that deserve to be called up.

GIDP
08-12-2009, 09:00 AM
You missed Heisey in guys that deserve to be called up.

I thought about it but bringing up Stubbs is already going to cause a bit of a playing time problem when you consider Bruce is going to be back most likely as well. 7 OF is a lot of guys.

HokieRed
08-12-2009, 09:09 AM
I can see roster maneuvering for Stubbs or Heisey but not for Valaika. Most important, IMO, is to get the three pitchers up and start to see how they'll fare, as some decisions have got to be made there over the offseason--e.g. does Maloney or Lecure have anything like a real chance to be in the rotation next year? Can Ramirez hold down a spot in the bullpen in 2010?

mac624
08-12-2009, 09:13 AM
I think Stubbs will still be up, but not Heisey. I'd love to see Wood come up and just do relief work. Same with Lecure. I'm sure they'll bring up Corky Miller too, because you just have to have 3 catchers in September....or something. Sutton will be back, but who knows what will be done. Sadly, most of the those guys won't see the field, save Sutton, when he'll replace Tavy and bat first:confused:

GIDP
08-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I can see roster maneuvering for Stubbs or Heisey but not for Valaika. Most important, IMO, is to get the three pitchers up and start to see how they'll fare, as some decisions have got to be made there over the offseason--e.g. does Maloney or Lecure have anything like a real chance to be in the rotation next year? Can Ramirez hold down a spot in the bullpen in 2010?

Well they have to protect Valaika if I'm correct this winter anyways. I could see them bringing him up if he finishes the month off strong or even average. They really need to find next years SS and should try all the options.

BRM
08-12-2009, 09:20 AM
If Dusty isn't prepared to play Stubbs or Heisey every day when they come up, then don't bring them up. If they are just going to be Willy's caddy, then forget it.

I think all 3 pitchers and Sutton come up. I don't think there is any chance Francisco or Alonso get the call.

bucksfan2
08-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Stubbs
Valakia
Ramriez
Lecure
Maloney
Sutton

I don't know about Heisey. I think Stubbs will get the PT and don't see a whole lot for Heisey. I think he stays in AAA.

REDblooded
08-12-2009, 09:47 AM
If Dusty isn't prepared to play Stubbs or Heisey every day when they come up, then don't bring them up. If they are just going to be Willy's caddy, then forget it.

I think all 3 pitchers and Sutton come up. I don't think there is any chance Francisco or Alonso get the call.

You don't think it would benefit them to shadow a true professional and really learn the game?

:clap:

BRM
08-12-2009, 09:50 AM
You don't think it would benefit them to shadow a true professional and really learn the game?

:clap:

Why start their clock just to ride the pine? Besides, if Louisville goes deep in the AAA playoffs, these guys wouldn't be called up until later in September anyway.

GIDP
08-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Why start their clock just to ride the pine? Besides, if Louisville goes deep in the AAA playoffs, these guys wouldn't be called up until later in September anyway.

The playoff thing is a big deal also. Bats probably wont be available until 2/3 of the way through september anyways.

HokieRed
08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Well they have to protect Valaika if I'm correct this winter anyways. I could see them bringing him up if he finishes the month off strong or even average. They really need to find next years SS and should try all the options.

I don't see Valaika as an option for 2010.

batsfan
08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
For pitchers, Maloney, Lecure, and Ramirez (who has been outstanding in releif) will definitely get the call. Jeff Kennard (2.39) should also get called up. Enerio Del Rosario and Logan Ondrusek have quitley had amazing seasons, and should be considered, as with Travis Wood.

For batters, Stubbs, Sutton (if down), and Kevin Barker (IMO) should be locks. If Heisey breaks out of his slump and gets hot again (as he appears to be doing in his last three games) he should be considered. There is no way Valaika and his .201 batting average should get the call, or Yonder Alonso. Darnell McDonald had a "september call-up" in april, and he failed.

GIDP
08-12-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't see Valaika as an option for 2010.
Based off this years numbers probably not but I still dont see a reason why you dont at least protect him.

HokieRed
08-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Based off this years numbers probably not but I still dont see a reason why you dont at least protect him.

I'm willing enough to protect him. But decisions about protection always mean there's somebody else you're leaving exposed. It's also the case that the overwhelming interest in Rule 5 picking is in pitchers. So sometimes you take a calculated risk that a guy you like can perhaps be exposed because he's not that likely to get taken. So a couple questions I'd ask are: 1. How many teams are likely to take Valaika for a 25 man roster spot? 2. Of those teams, which are likely to be among the weaker ones, how many are likely to take a position guy over a pitcher?

camisadelgolf
08-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Here are some candidates I came up with:

Kevin Barker
He continues to produce in AAA, but is he worth keeping around?

Chris Valaika
Could he be in the discussion for the Reds' 2010 shortstop?

Danny Dorn
Has done very well for Louisville after a dreadful start.

Chris Heisey
It's time to see how worthy he has been of the RZ hype.

Drew Stubbs
The writing's on the wall.

Ramon Ramirez
As the pitchers tire, they will need to spread the workload amongst the younger pitchers.

Sam LeCure
Is his future as a starter or as a reliever?

Matt Maloney
Deserved more of an opportunity earlier in the season.

Daryl Thompson, Jordan Smith, Dallas Buck
Their innings have been limited due to injury.

Pedro Viola
Dusty's been itching to see the guy ever since he lit up the radar gun in spring training.

Logan Ondrusek
Is he the real deal or just a flash in the pan?

Ben Jukich
Is he yet worthy of a 40-man roster spot?

Omitted:
Yonder Alonso (should work on staying healthy)
Juan Francisco (too raw)
Travis Wood (needs to keep his innings down)
Phil Valiquette (very little chance of helping the Reds in 2010)
Enerio Del Rosario (see: Phil Valiquette)
Sean Watson (still not ready to face MLB hitting)

redsof72
08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Virtually everyone currently on the 40 man who is healthy will likely be called up including Maloney, LeCure, and Ramirez and anyone else sent down between now and September 1st. Francisco would be a question mark. Thompson and Alonso would be highly doubtful.

Among others, they will have some important decisions. Unlikely that anyone who is not Rule V eligible in December gets called up such as Frazier or Cozart (They would be wasting an option on the player next March if they add him to the roster before they need to).

Among the class of Stubbs, Wood, Heisey, Valaika, etc. (guys who are in their protection years), if they call a player up, they are committing to keeping that player on the 40 man all winter. Otherwise he would have to be outrighted and there would be a far greater chance of losing the player that way than by simply not protecting him in the Rule V. For that reason, I will guess that they will err on the side of caution and only call up players that would be absolute no-brainers as far as being added to the 40 man. So I will say Heisey, Stubbs, and Wood go up in September.

Doubtful that there are any call-up promises to the six-year free agent types, but it would make it easier to get the player re-signed for 2010 if they want the player back (see Adam Pettyjohn in September of 2008), so if they have a spot open in September, you could see a Barker or McDonald called up.

Benihana
08-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Virtually everyone currently on the 40 man who is healthy will likely be called up including Maloney, LeCure, and Ramirez and anyone else sent down between now and September 1st. Francisco would be a question mark. Thompson and Alonso would be highly doubtful.

Among others, they will have some important decisions. Unlikely that anyone who is not Rule V eligible in December gets called up such as Frazier or Cozart (They would be wasting an option on the player next March if they add him to the roster before they need to).

Among the class of Stubbs, Wood, Heisey, Valaika, etc. (guys who are in their protection years), if they call a player up, they are committing to keeping that player on the 40 man all winter. Otherwise he would have to be outrighted and there would be a far greater chance of losing the player that way than by simply not protecting him in the Rule V. For that reason, I will guess that they will err on the side of caution and only call up players that would be absolute no-brainers as far as being added to the 40 man. So I will say Heisey, Stubbs, and Wood go up in September.

Doubtful that there are any call-up promises to the six-year free agent types, but it would make it easier to get the player re-signed for 2010 if they want the player back (see Adam Pettyjohn in September of 2008), so if they have a spot open in September, you could see a Barker or McDonald called up.

I understand not wanting to burn one of their options at the ML level, but do you have any idea why Cozart and Frazier are not in AAA at this point?

I'd call up Valaika instead of Wood. IMO Wood should pitch in AAA until next summer at least. Let's not make the same mistake we did with Homer.

It's time for the Reds to figure out what they have and who they need to keep between Sutton/Rosales/Janish/Valaika. Let them all play in September and see who prevails. If Valaika tanks, I'd have no problem outrighting him this offseason if they needed to. I don't think anyone would lose a considerable amount of sleep over risking losing him in the process.

Danny Serafini
08-13-2009, 09:54 PM
I would bet on few September callups. Louisville could be playing deep into September, which will hamper callups. Plus it's not like the guys already on the 40 man are really tearing it up. Maybe Maloney comes up to provide some depth, but that will be later in the month. Kevin Barker is having a good enough season that maybe they reward him with a cup of coffee, but it's not a given. My guess is there are few callups, and none of the top prospects people may want to see.

gedred69
08-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Dorn. To quote DD before the season started, "Dorn is the only prospect who could step to the plate at GABP and not be over-matched." The Reds blew it not inviting him to ST. He was the last from his NCAA Championship Cal-State team to be drafted, yet he has advanced faster and farther than any of those teamates.

GIDP
08-14-2009, 02:17 PM
With Gonzo being traded I'm starting to like the chances we see Frazier. These things have me wondering hard. He moves to 2nd, Phillips saying he'd try short, Gonzo being traded for likely nothing more than some little cash.

I think its safe to say a reason why Frazier was never moved up is because there was never a real place for him and the Reds didnt really want to take a winning team and throw a wrench into it by dropping one of the vets that have been there all year.

Anyone thinking I might be getting way too far ahead of myself here?

thorn
08-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I think who ever they call up will be someone that has to be added to the 40 man to not get exposed to the rule 5 draft next year. If they don't have to be added in order to be protected, they shouldn't get the call, IMO.

camisadelgolf
08-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, Kevin Barker is coming up. I didn't see that coming. Good job, Morrissey. ;)