PDA

View Full Version : How much longer until we trade Homer Laaaarson?

DTCromer
08-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Seeing as how we've seen no improvement from him over his young career, he's almost a throw in to a trade right now.

Anyone still want to keep him?

EDIT: A better thread title should be "How much longer until we cut Homer LAAAArson?

TheBigLebowski
08-12-2009, 09:14 PM
He's 23. I don't like giving up on 23 year-olds with immense talent. I am probably going to get lambasted for this, but I have seen improvement from him this year.

I have also said this before, many times, but it bears repeating - pitchers develop at different rates. Sometimes with gifted prospects you get Lincecums; sometimes you get Greinkes.

Homer's added the splitter to his repertoire. His velocity is back this year. He needs more practice with the splitter and he needs to continue to work on his off-speed stuff and his location.

And we need to work on getting people in our organization who can develop pitchers.

GIDP
08-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Seeing as how we've seen no improvement from him over his young career, he's almost a throw in to a trade right now.

Anyone still want to keep him?

EDIT: A better thread title should be "How much longer until we cut Homer LAAAArson?

Maybe his leg will need amputated and you can go cheering in the streets over it.

texasdave
08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Edinson Volquez is out for most of 2010. It seems likely that either Harang or Arroyo will be dealt away. Jocketty foolishly included Zach Stewart in the Rolen deal. Mike Leake will need a year, at the minimum, in the minors. Like it or not the Reds need Homer Bailey to develop into a major league pitcher. The earliest I would jettison the young man is at the end of the 2010 season.

CySeymour
08-13-2009, 09:11 AM
I still think if nothing else, he'd be a heck of an arm coming out of the pen in the late innings.

bounty37h
08-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Who is Homer Laaaaarson? If your referring to Homer Bailey, well, I dont know what to tell you. I would be open to a trade if a great deal was offered, but am just as open to holding on and seeing what he is goign to do. Ther has def been improvement from him overall this year, it seems thelearnign curve has shortedned some. Still has things to work on of course, but dont see bashing him as needed.

REDblooded
08-13-2009, 09:52 AM
And we need to work on getting people in our organization who can develop pitchers.

This. 100,000 x's.

Hondo
08-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Ty Howington, Brandon Larson, Johnny Oliver, Chad Mottola...

Man, our scouting department really really sucked...

Ghosts of 1990
08-14-2009, 01:20 PM
yawn

mlh1981
08-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd say in a few more years, if the inconsistencies are still there, then maybe it would be time to deal him. Even then, he'd still only be 25, and with that "potential" label that would be attractive to potential suitors. I'd hate to see him to go a team like the Cardinals who know how to get pitchers going in the right direction, and have him face us and completely dominate.

Old NDN
08-14-2009, 10:51 PM
At this point, who's any better, or ready to make the jump to the majors? I'm not sold on Homer either. I just don't see any other options. BTW, I have griped on more than one occasion about the lack of ability in the Reds' scouting and development. There is zero accountability. They seem to find a diamond in the rough once in awhile, but waaay too many busts.

Hondo
08-15-2009, 09:22 PM
I would much rather have Homer Bailey the 5th starter ALL next season then to bring in another Jimmy Haynes, Paul Wilson, Josh Fogg, etc...

I think they need to have him as a Closer and Trade CoCo... Get rid of 12 Million... Homer could throw 95 and Dominate for an Inning, couldnt he?

LouisvilleCARDS
08-15-2009, 10:08 PM
We need a new pitching coach. We've had more than enough dick lately.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-15-2009, 10:10 PM
I would much rather have Homer Bailey the 5th starter ALL next season then to bring in another Jimmy Haynes, Paul Wilson, Josh Fogg, etc...

I think they need to have him as a Closer and Trade CoCo... Get rid of 12 Million... Homer could throw 95 and Dominate for an Inning, couldnt he?

Problem is, even top market teams don't wanna comp our stupid ass contract we're giving Cordero, even though he is an All Star. This is what happens when retards run the front office constantly.

Shawn_RedsFan
08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Might as well trade Cueto too ;)

DTCromer
08-18-2009, 09:02 PM
(Not counting his last start)

4 of 10 starts with more BB's than K's
4 of his 10 starts he hasn't gotten out of the 6th inning
1 of his 10 starts he hasn't given up a HR.

And sure, there's been improvement, but what was there to improve on from the beginning?

Maybe his leg will need amputated and you can go cheering in the streets over it.

Funny coming from a guy who complains more about Bob and Co. 100 X more than anyone else.

GIDP
08-18-2009, 09:03 PM
(Not counting his last start)

4 of 10 starts with more BB's than K's
4 of his 10 starts he hasn't gotten out of the 6th inning
1 of his 10 starts he hasn't given up a HR.

And sure, there's been improvement, but what was there to improve on from the beginning?

Funny coming from a guy who complains more about Bob and Co. 100 X more than anyone else.

I really dont know what you are getting at with that last comment :dunno:

Hondo
08-18-2009, 09:20 PM
How about Dusty take him out after he pitches 5 Innings of 1 run Ball?

gilpdawg
08-19-2009, 12:48 AM
I didn't see the game because I was down at PNC watching Heaven and Hell, but it seems like he just fell apart in the 6th. He has stretches where he looks really good. I think he's got a good chance to be a fairly decent MLB caliber pitcher in the no so distant future.