PDA

View Full Version : Reds and Steroids

Z-Fly
08-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't know if this is Kosher or not, but I will do it anyways. Since the steroid era in baseball is pretty much over, what former reds do you think were on the juice (while on the reds)?

The main one that comes to mind for me is Brett Boone. I don't think he really started using until he went to Seattle. Maybe he tinkered with them in the 1998 season. For the most part, I think the Reds have been pretty steroid clear. Any thoughts?

texasdave
08-12-2009, 10:21 PM
I am not sure which players did or did not "juice up". I can say, with certainty, that it was not nearly enough.

BluegrassRedleg
08-12-2009, 10:55 PM
In the Reds' case, it would probably be "WTH guys" who would surprise most people. I mean, we've already had Hal Morris and Bronson Arroyo come up. :p:

Pretty sure Bret Boone was. Guys like Ron Gant and Greg Vaughn make me wonder, but that's probably not fair.

mlh1981
08-12-2009, 11:08 PM
I can't think of anyone over the past 10-15 years on the Reds that had unnatural looking numbers, or drastically changing bodies. I mean, yeah, Brett Boone is a name that comes to mind, but I think he was a more likely candidate in his Seattle days. Dude busted out late in his career, but then fell off pretty quickly after that.

GIDP
08-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Hal Morris was on the mitchell report, as was Kent Merker, and JHJ.

Jack Burton
08-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Don't know about all this hullabaloo of past players. But a current player that's definitely on the juice is Willy T, he's strong like popeye on a spinach bender.

OSUredsFAN
08-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Danny Graves

bounty37h
08-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Wasn't Benito Santiago busted as well?

nemesis
08-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Greg Vaughn
Aaron Boone
Jason LaRue
Steve Parris
Hal Morris
Bret Boone
Danny Neagle
Danny Graves
Ryan Wagner

to name a few...

I have been told DIRECTLY by a former Reds player that I used to socialize with, that one of the main reasons Greg Vaughn wasn't resignedafter the seaon of '99, was he brought the steroid culture into the clubhouse from San Diego via Ken Camaniti. Vaughn responed by supposedly coming off the Juice in '00 to prove point that he wasn't on when he was in Cincy. Once word got around the league no one really had a high interest in him and I belive he signed with the Devil Rays.

Newman4
08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I am not sure which players did or did not "juice up". I can say, with certainty, that it was not nearly enough.

Haha, I agree. :beerme:

FlyerFanatic
08-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't know if this is Kosher or not, but I will do it anyways. Since the steroid era in baseball is pretty much over, what former reds do you think were on the juice (while on the reds)?

The main one that comes to mind for me is Brett Boone. I don't think he really started using until he went to Seattle. Maybe he tinkered with them in the 1998 season. For the most part, I think the Reds have been pretty steroid clear. Any thoughts?

the steroid era isnt over, but thats mainly because its moved to HGH and who knows what else. PED's are here to stay, there will always be something out there that beats the tests. i think the crackdown has helped, but to how much, who knows, i would imagine a majority of players stopped their cycles, but get back to me in 10-12 yrs and i bet players are all on something

will5979
08-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I have been told DIRECTLY by a former Reds player that I used to socialize with, that one of the main reasons Greg Vaughn wasn't resignedafter the seaon of '99, was he brought the steroid culture into the clubhouse from San Diego via Ken Camaniti. Vaughn responed by supposedly coming off the Juice in '00 to prove point that he wasn't on when he was in Cincy. Once word got around the league no one really had a high interest in him and I belive he signed with the Devil Rays.

If that is true then damn did the front office give us the shaft once again. Imagine KGJ numbers if he started juicing in Cincy in 2000 or even Barry Larkin prolonging his great career by juicing. MLB should just go ahead and make steroids legal.

Z-Fly
08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
If that is true then damn did the front office give us the shaft once again. Imagine KGJ numbers if he started juicing in Cincy in 2000 or even Barry Larkin prolonging his great career by juicing. MLB should just go ahead and make steroids legal.

Wouldn't the government have to make them legal first?

will5979
08-13-2009, 01:19 PM

Yep pretty much, I couldn't help but to be sarcastic!

I did hate it though when the Reds did not resign Greg Vaughn. I really believe that is why they could not duplicate their great preformance of 99 in 00.

Caveman Techie
08-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Steroids are legal as long as they are prescribed by a doctor for valid medical reasons. I had them prescribed to me last year when I had a bulging disc in my back.

The question then becomes is "recovering" from the wear and tear of baseball a valid reason. I don't see it happening.

will5979
08-13-2009, 07:06 PM
The question then becomes is "recovering" from the wear and tear of baseball a valid reason. I don't see it happening.

Sounds like Griffey could have been the poster child for roids while he was here, darn him for not giving 110%!

Redlegs23
08-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Scott Shoenweis was busted I believe.