PDA

View Full Version : Shut Up, Bronson

Keystone12
08-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Reds' Arroyo not apologizing (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sweetspot/0-4-168/Reds--Arroyo-not-apologizing.html)

Hey Bronson, I guess I sort of admire your straightforwardness, but do you realize that it hurts the organization that's trying to trade you?

Shut up and talk about it in October or something, when you're not actively lowering your value on the trade market.

REDblooded
08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah, Bronson's pretty much an idiot... Either that, or he's sabotaging the Reds on purpose because he's comfortable in Cincinnati.

Jerome
08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, Bronson's pretty much an idiot... Either that, or he's sabotaging the Reds on purpose because he's comfortable in Cincinnati.

Yup

GIDP
08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm maybe going out on a limb but I can see Arroyo trying to ruin his trade value. Its probably not true but I do wonder some times especially when he blows up so easily some times. I will be interested in seeing how well he pitches in that contract year.

BuckeyeRed27
08-13-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't think Bronson cares about his "trade value". I love his comments and he is 100% spot on.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
I like his candor. He speaks the truth. I don't see anything he said there that really isn't true, people don't like it, but some need to hear it.

Some of this crap is ridiculous" "approved" supplement list? What is this, the Communist Baseball League? I think the league has gone overboard about anabolic steroids. Now things you can buy at GNC trigger positive tests. I guess the "preapproved" list from MLB hasn't even tested the things he uses.

REDblooded
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
We are talking about a guy that willingly did this to his head....

http://sheepy712.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/bronson-cornrows.jpg?w=275&h=235

But seriously, I really don't understand his obsession right now with dragging his name through the dirt as much as possible.

texasdave
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't think Bronson cares about his "trade value". I love his comments and he is 100% spot on.

I doubt if he is 100% spot on. Especially his comment about how owners would rather earn 20 million and finish in last than lose 20 million and win a World Series. There may be a handful of such of owners. But I am willing to wager that the majority of owners would take a season in which they lose 20 million if it meant a World Championship.

He says several other things which I find questionable. His statement that the players should feel no regret that they tainted an era of baseball is dubious at best.

I have no problem with him speaking up. But just because a person will say whatever is on their mind does not make it gospel.

PhillipsHead
08-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Maybe he just doesn't give a ****. The dude's got some balls, you should respect that...

MJA
08-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Bronson has no trade value because his contract sucks compared to his performance (He just cleared waivers too, drawing zero interest from teams), I doubt these comments will change anything in that regard.

I also agree that he is absolutely dead on when it comes to steroids, people don't care about the health of the players but about the history of the game some how being ruined–apparently everyone is ok with Babe Ruth setting records when blacks were not allowed in the majors; that era isn't "tainted".

Also, I do believe the owners care more about the bottom line than fans think. Most of these guys are businessmen, a bottom line in the red does not compute with them.

GIDP
08-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I like his candor. He speaks the truth. I don't see anything he said there that really isn't true, people don't like it, but some need to hear it.

Some of this crap is ridiculous" "approved" supplement list? What is this, the Communist Baseball League? I think the league has gone overboard about anabolic steroids. Now things you can buy at GNC trigger positive tests. I guess the "preapproved" list from MLB hasn't even tested the things he uses.

Well a lot of things are on the list because they can be used to mask steroids and things of that nature. The approved list is for the players so they know if they take them they are completely safe.

BuckeyeRed27
08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
I doubt if he is 100% spot on. Especially his comment about how owners would rather earn 20 million and finish in last than lose 20 million and win a World Series. There may be a handful of such of owners. But I am willing to wager that the majority of owners would take a season in which they lose 20 million if it meant a World Championship.

He says several other things which I find questionable. His statement that the players should feel no regret that they tainted an era of baseball is dubious at best.

I have no problem with him speaking up. But just because a person will say whatever is on their mind does not make it gospel.

I really doubt that. Some owners might be willing to take a small loss or a break even season, but he is right. Owners are in business to make money. Most of them are businessmen first and baseball fans second.
Teams like Florida, Oakland, Minnesota and Cleveland could have been top tier teams every single year if the owners didn't care about making money.

Captain Hook
08-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Well a lot of things are on the list because they can be used to mask steroids and things of that nature. The approved list is for the players so they know if they take them they are completely safe.

So basically its easier for you and me to legally stay in top shape then it is for professional athletes.

GIDP
08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
So basically its easier for you and me to legally stay in top shape then it is for professional athletes.

and its easier for us to take and pass drug test no matter what we take. Dont blame MLB blame the players.

malcontent
08-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Dude's beginning to rival Casey as an attention *****.

Captain Hook
08-13-2009, 05:40 PM
and its easier for us to take and pass drug test no matter what we take. Dont blame MLB blame the players.

This could be an endless debate but I'll just say that there are plenty of people that should share the blame.It's a little unfair to say that its just the players fault.If that's what you saying?

Old NDN
08-13-2009, 06:14 PM
In some strange way, I think he's trying talk his way out of town, not realizing this stuff only hurts his chances.

vottofan4life
08-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Arroyo and Gomes for Ordonez-waiver deal
Lincoln and Taveras for Luis Castillo-offseason
Janish,Valaika,Soto,Jukich for Barfield and Sowers-offseason
Puckett and Mesoraco for Doumit-offseason

Please shower me with bad posts because that right there are some powerful trades that could help the Red's and make complete sense

gedred69
08-13-2009, 09:38 PM
In some strange way, I think he's trying talk his way out of town, not realizing this stuff only hurts his chances.

Actually, I think the opposite. For some reason he likes it here. Maybe because mediocrity is the norm in Cincy. Yet with his huge # of innings pitched every year, (for a long, long time now) his ability to be a winner, (as often as not) there are teams that would love to have an Arroyo for a 3rd/4th starter. Who's better in that role? As a #3 he would pitch in the post-season for a team still in the hunt for that Big Ring.......

DTCromer
08-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Actually, I think the opposite. For some reason he likes it here. Maybe because mediocrity is the norm in Cincy. Yet with his huge # of innings pitched every year, (for a long, long time now) his ability to be a winner, (as often as not) there are teams that would love to have an Arroyo for a 3rd/4th starter. Who's better in that role? As a #3 he would pitch in the post-season for a team still in the hunt for that Big Ring.......

FWIW, I'd rather have Bronson in any "big game" than Aaron Harang. If we all want to look toward the future and the postseason, Bronson is more our guy than Aaron.

jhiller21
08-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Gomes was just on BB Tonight, and when asked about Bronson's comments he said it wasn't pretty but it's true.

It may be stupid to divulge this kind of stuff to the media, but at least he's honest.

GIDP
08-13-2009, 10:45 PM
FWIW, I'd rather have Bronson in any "big game" than Aaron Harang. If we all want to look toward the future and the postseason, Bronson is more our guy than Aaron.

Yea it would be nice to know who was going to win the game before the 1st inning was over. I totally agree :laugh:

DTCromer
08-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Yea it would be nice to know who was going to win the game before the 1st inning was over. I totally agree :laugh:

Exactly. Why wait until the 6th when you know about the 2nd or 3rd what kind of game it's going to be? They're basically the same pitcher. . .statistically, yet Bronson has actually proved to excel in the postseason.

jhiller21
08-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Although I'd take Harang every day and twice on Sunday (Dusty quip?) Arroyo did just pitch a 2-hit shutout.

GIDP
08-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Exactly. Why wait until the 6th when you know about the 2nd or 3rd what kind of game it's going to be? They're basically the same pitcher. . .statistically, yet Bronson has actually proved to excel in the postseason.

Harang has never had the chance so maybe he will be chiucking the ball 94 and hitting 3 run homers!

DTCromer
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Harang has never had the chance so maybe he will be chiucking the ball 94 and hitting 3 run homers!

Hitting 3 run homers or giving up multiple 3 run homers?

GIDP
08-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Hitting 3 run homers or giving up multiple 3 run homers?

Id feel more comfortable with Harang pitching. Id rather know that we are going to get 6 or 7 innings of 2-5 run ball than having no idea if we are going to get a shut out or a 10 run 1st.

gedred69
08-14-2009, 12:03 AM

Well! We seemed to have awakened some astute observers, who like me, haven't said a whole lot in response to the Arroyo bashers. (Out-numbered). But looking at it like you stated, he's more my guy in the crunch than, well,,,anybody on this current staff, healthy or otherwise.. How does someone argue with his consistency? Yeah he has some horrible starts every season, but Dang!!! Who doesn't!????

Moosie52
08-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Arroyo likes supplements. A lot of people do. I don't think he should be trashed for taking supplements that make him feel stronger.

big boy
08-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Here is what Rob Neyers thinks of this:

You want to pillory Arroyo? Go ahead. I sort of admire the guy. I just have one question, though ... That clear cellophane bag with all the pills and powders and various other non-approved products? They don't seem to be working so well. Arroyo's walk rate this season is the highest it's been since 2002; his strikeout rate is the lowest it's been since 2005. He's going to give up more home runs than he's ever given up before, and his strikeout-to-walk ratio borders unacceptability.

Arroyo believes that he should do whatever necessary, and that he is surrounded by hypocrites. I don't know that he's wrong. But whatever he's doing with the drugs now, isn't working. I don't think Arroyo's a bad guy, or a stupid guy. He's just sort of a lousy pitcher.