PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bailey's focus

malcontent
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Every time I see a pic of Bailey releasing the ball, he's not focusing anywhere near the catcher's mitt. Gawd only knows what he's looking at.

Does he do that all the time? How can he have any control doing that?

If he does it's small wonder he didn't pick up the ball off Pujol's bat.

Which could be, uh, dangerous.

TheBigLebowski
08-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Every time I see a pic of Bailey releasing the ball, he's not focusing anywhere near the catcher's mitt. Gawd only knows what he's looking at.

I believe it's called using The Force.

texasdave
08-19-2009, 09:51 PM

If he does it's small wonder he didn't pick up the ball off Pujol's bat.

Which could be, uh, dangerous.

I commented on this last year. I was doing extra credit in my Bakermetrics 101 class. Even when he is almost at his release point it appears that he is looking anywhere but his target. Maybe he is but in every picture I have seen that doesn't seem to be the case.

malcontent
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I commented on this last year. I was doing extra credit in my Bakermetrics 101 class. Even when he is almost at his release point it appears that he is looking anywhere but his target. Maybe he is but in every picture I have seen that doesn't seem to be the case.
I've never seen anything like it. It's not Fernandoesque...we're talking release point. Last pic I saw was on reds.mlb.com, from his last start I assume.

I've no idea how often he does it but I assume it must be quite a bit.

I didn't catch your thread about it, texasdave. Any recollection what other people thought?

Charlton
08-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I believe it's called using The Force.

I think he's using The Schwartz, Dude, and I think Homer got the down side.

TheBigLebowski
08-20-2009, 09:06 PM
I think he's using The Schwartz, Dude, and I think Homer got the down side.

The way he's pitched thus far in his MLB career, I'd tend to concur. Big time, dude.

texasdave
08-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Why doesn't Bakermetrics work the same for pitchers as hitters? Homer has been trying to clog up those bases bigtime. But they all seem to score anyway, dude.

Charlton
08-21-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm not worthy of being referred to as "Dude" - I certainly don't abide. That title is reserved for Mr. Jeffrey Lebowski alone.

Slyder
08-21-2009, 12:18 AM
If Bailey's eyes are bouncing all over the place why doesnt the pitching coach do his job and work with Bailey to stabilize that? It sounds like when a hitter's eyes are leaving the ball on the swing, odds are even if you connect youre not going to make solid contact 9 out of 10 times.

Hondo
08-21-2009, 01:59 AM
If Bailey's eyes are bouncing all over the place why doesnt the pitching coach do his job and work with Bailey to stabilize that? It sounds like when a hitter's eyes are leaving the ball on the swing, odds are even if you connect youre not going to make solid contact 9 out of 10 times.

Dude, its Dick Pole... Let me repeat that... Its Dick Pole. :bash: