PDA

View Full Version : For those who play baseball simluation games - New 'Out of the Park' in March

cincinnati chili
01-30-2003, 06:11 PM
I mention this because I've heard SC Red and others mention that they play.

Good game, and I really like the planned improvements for March.

New & Updated Features in Out of the Park Baseball 5

Brand new, completely rebuilt artificial intelligence engine, which impacts the game's financial model, player evaluation, trading and roster management

New Manager Mode allows you to be hired (or fired!) and compile a career as a team manager and/or general manager

Improved interface, with hyperlinked player and team names

Support for mouse scroll wheels for roster and statistics browsing

Game will ship with three different interface 'skins'

Most reports (including box scores, etc.) will be displayed in separate HTML windows (multiple windows possible)

Interface sounds and music, in-game stadium ambient sounds

Optional role-playing element in Manager Mode - date women, marry and build a family, and if you are lucky, maybe raise a son with baseball skills who can enter the draft pool when he's 18-22 years old. Just be careful with your wife - a divorce is expensive!

Enhanced minor league system with basic team W-L records, better reports and presentation. An option for required full minor league rosters will be there as well.

More robust spring training period

Complete tracking of career minor league statistics for every player

Complete tracking of career postseason statistics

Enhanced importing of historical season data, featuring more accurate ratings calculations, new ballpark effects, and accurate outfield positions

New player development algorithms, resulting in more variability in player development in historical careers

New financial coefficient allows gamers to adjust salary demands and game financial data to historical leagues

New team and manager strategy settings, including individual stealing tendencies, setting pitch-counts for pitchers, and staff rotation mode settings

New Player Tracker lets you keep tabs on any player in the game and quickly see how he is performing

New simulation options, including the ability to easily simulate multiple seasons at a time

New and improved importing and exporting tools for transferring rosters and player ratings

Other enhancement and additions, such as a new star-based player rating system, and new reports such as team power rankings and minor league system rankings

----One comment, I found it a bit odd that they assume EVERYONE who plays the game is a male, given the role playing "divorce your wife" element.

LvJ
01-30-2003, 07:57 PM
I can't wait. Sounds great.

I'll be getting three baseball games this spring.

- Out Of The Park 5 [PC]
- All Star Baseball 2004 [PS2]
- High Heat Baseball 2004 [PS2 or PC]

Sabo Fan
01-30-2003, 07:58 PM
I enjoy baseball simulations, though it's hard to find good ones. I bought Baseball Mogul 2002 a while ago and played it some, but it sounds to me like this is a much more advanced game.

cincinnati chili
01-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Out of the Park's in-game feature is NOT GOOD in my opinion. There isn't even a pitch by pitch mode, making it impossible to run on a 3-2 count, etc. But it's general manager mode is outstanding. It's too bad they can't fuse the graphics of High Heat, the general manager mode of Out of the Park, and the in-game mode of the Earl Weaver and Tony LaRussa games of years past.

SirFelixCat
01-31-2003, 08:14 AM
Yup, I am literally drooling in anticipation....my wife is too...just so I'll shut up about it. For those who have not played it, it is, far and away, the absolute best baseball sim ever made. Here are the latest screen shots...enjoy :DOOTP 5 Screen shots (http://www.400softwarestudios.com/ootp5screens/screens.html)

RedsFan75
01-31-2003, 08:36 AM
I've played Baseball Mogul 2003, and I love High Heat. I've also heard a lot of folks talking about OOTP5.

So I will get High Heat, and may get OOTP5.

cincinnati chili
01-31-2003, 08:48 AM
High Heat has had a lot of bugs in the last 2 editions, but they swear they're going to get better. I actually didn't even buy the last one, and I think I've been a lot more productive in the last year, having not done so:D

Cedric
01-31-2003, 09:38 AM
You guys have to get EA Sports new Game MVP baseball 2003.

I get advanced copy and it's AMAZING.

The franchise mode is great. Trades, draft, development of players, momentum meter for the season, impact games that affect players stamina more than others (Example Reds vs Cardinals get's your players to play a little better, but wear down more than playing the Expos.

There are a ton of other things. EA has had crap with Triple Play for three years because they have been developing this game. This game is the best I have ever played.

RedsFan75
01-31-2003, 09:50 AM
I wasn't impressed with the triple click to pitch and throw.

At almost 43 yrs old, my reflexes aren't what they were. Madden's kicking meter give me fits, and MVP looks to use the same type of interface.

GoReds
01-31-2003, 10:08 AM
Looks like High Heat is incorporating more from a GMs perspective this year with a salary structure and better drafting possibilities. I've been a fan, but it's been pretty much the same ol' same ol' for the last couple years. This year's model looks much improved.

REDREAD
01-31-2003, 11:49 AM
I am looking for a game.

I want a game where hand-eye coordination is not necessary, but let's you do GM and possibly field manager moves.

I also prefer made up players that you have to figure out as opposed to simming real player years. I mean, one game I played was kind of silly.. you knew before a the first game of the season that Jeff Bagwell was going to have a crappy first half of the season, and then finish strong. I guess it would be ok to use real players if they weren't completely predicatable.

Any recommedations based on those preferences?

Doc. Scott
01-31-2003, 12:11 PM
The best place to start is Baseball Mogul 2003 (new version this spring, I'm sure). You're basically the GM, farm director, marketing director, and owner. Pick any team; based on who you choose, you'll have an easier (NY) or harder (Montreal) time of it financially. You start in the current year with real players, but new ones come in over time. By 2020 you've got all cyber-players. The website says it better:

Sports Mogul (http://www.sportsmogul.com)

It's also showed up on Kazaa, not that I would ever condone such piracy. Price is only $19.95 to download from the company's website. Be sure to get the patches as well.

I'm going to try OOTP5 this year, but I really think BM is a really good introduction to a different type of baseball game. I've spent a whole boatload of time playing it.

M2
01-31-2003, 12:28 PM
I'm a Strat-o-Matic man myself. It's been able to hold my attention for 17 years.

gm
01-31-2003, 01:36 PM
What's the best PS-2 baseball simulator to play against a 7-10 year old, especially if you don't want them to start kicking your butt right away? (older versions included, I'd rather buy used off eBay, etc)

cincinnati chili
01-31-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by REDREAD
I am looking for a game.

I've only played the demo of baseball mogul, but I liked out of the park better. Here's a site where they review both, and some others

http://baseballsimcentral.com/

You can create completely false names for out of the park. I would wait until it comes out in March.

whatafool
01-31-2003, 04:21 PM
M2 I also have played strat-o for many years. I think they come pretty close statistically to real life. I wish they were update the graphics though, they are sooo 1980s.

I love Highheat on CD ROM , the PS 2 version does not seem to create players or have a farm system like the CD version or am I doing something wrong??

TeamCasey
01-31-2003, 04:37 PM
Rookie here:

Are these games played along with the actual season, using real circumstances?

I see you guys discuss the new releases each year.

Does the last edition become obsolete after the season, or do the new ones just have cooler upgrades?

Also, are these computer games, or PS2/XBox?

cincinnati chili
01-31-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by TeamCasey
Rookie here:

Are these games played along with the actual season, using real circumstances?

I see you guys discuss the new releases each year.

Does the last edition become obsolete after the season, or do the new ones just have cooler upgrades?

Also, are these computer games, or PS2/XBox?

Out of the park is PC only. High heat is now coming out with console games first, and pc last. I'm not sure about the MVP game.

Most or all of the games mentioned do not use real-time data. For example, Adam Dunn's ratings for the 2003 season will be reflective of his talent level at the end of 2002. But there are built-in aging maturation/decline algorithims. You also can select the possibility of 'injury'

The nice thing about the community at baseballsimcentral is that there's a bunch of computer geeks (and I use that term as a compliment) who come out with new roster sets all the time, including midseason, (for Out of the Park and some other games). SOME games make it difficult to upload roster changes. Out of the Park doesn't do that. I'm going to buy Out of the Park 5 because of the new features, NOT because I feel like I'll be forced to in order to enjoy the game.

Again, if you like pretty graphics or pitch-by-pitch mode, avoid Out of the Park. If you like the GM aspects, it seems to be the best out there.

RedsFan75
01-31-2003, 05:11 PM
Also at BaseballSimCentral, you'll get updates for Stadiums, Photo's and other things as well, for High Heat that is. I personally have made versions of Great American, Crosley, and even Riverfront. Another guy released Palace of the Fans. Redsland, from here, made the best Cinergy for that game. Very good work.

All this for the PC, and with some hacking by a couple of the guys allowed the modifications.

EA's MVP will be on the console first, World Series Baseball will also be released on Consoles this year. All-Star Baseball 2004 will be released on the PC for the first time this year.

cincinnati chili
01-31-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by KyRed
All-Star Baseball 2004 will be released on the PC for the first time this year.

Do you know when? I can't find a release date either on their site or on Amazon.com

REDREAD
02-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.. I'm going to download mongul this week, and wait for OOTP in march too.

chicoruiz
02-04-2003, 09:14 AM
...And for a similar but totally unique and fun experience you might want to check out the RedsZone Sim League, now entering its third season. One team still available for the upcoming season!

http://www.geocities.com/redszonesimleague/main.html

Excuse the outdated website; a new one is in the works.

RedsFan75
02-06-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by cincinnati chili
Do you know when? I can't find a release date either on their site or on Amazon.com

According to IGN's Review

"Look to IGN for more on All-Star Baseball 2004 as we approach its February 15 release for Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube. ASB 2004 will ship in May 2003 for PC."

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/380/380765p1.html

maniem
02-06-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm waiting for the World Series 2K4. It's supposed to be the best b-ball game of the year. I believe it's for PC/X-Box/PS2. ESPN has a contract with all SegaSports games and does all the announcing and statistics, making it very realistic.

RedsFan75
02-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Sega has repeatedly said they are not releasing this version on the PC.

As I understand it's Xbox/PS2/GameCube.

In an interview with PC Gamer, the director of Sega Sports was asked about supporting the PC, and he said that was something that was not in their schedule, or plans, at anytime.

cincinnati chili
02-06-2003, 04:22 PM
Thanks Ky Red.

redsfan4445
02-06-2003, 09:51 PM
but i hope they put in a trade block between computer teams.. i use to play APBA thru the 70's up till 90.. and loved the fact i could keep up with every trade and try to see how the pleyers would do during the off season as i kept playing a whole season.... but i played OOTP3 and the computer would make trades.. GIambi was traded by the A's to the Twins.. and others as well during a season.. and then i would have to redo each computers lineups as it would bat GIambi 8th and lead off Sheffield.. silly things like that.. but i havent played in a year.. i played a whole season of APBA for windows and the Red Sox won it all.. then i played OOTP3 and the REd SOx won it all.. darn my Reds came close but didnt make the playoffs in OOTP but i went to the NL CHampionship with the Reds and they lost to the Giants.

cincinnati chili
02-06-2003, 11:12 PM
ICK.

They have an option for "block computer trades" on Ootp4, so I don't see why they'd take that away in Ootp5.

My biggest hope is that they'll finally have a pitch-by-pitch option, but I doubt it since they haven't bragged about it yet. I find it to be a very good season similar and very bad for gameplay, even in manage-only mode.

Raisor
04-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Alright, I ordered the game this weekend. If it doesn't rock, I'm coming after all ya'll!

;)

Doc. Scott
04-21-2003, 04:41 PM
OOTP5 has really been great. Better than Baseball Mogul in virtually all aspects. Although it's also much more complicated.

You can do virtually anything- sim a past season, play the current one, become a team manager in a league with all fictional players- as long as you don't mind doing a little forum-reading and file-downloading and net-searching through ootp5.com.

My new 2003 Strat-O-Matic season disk has been gathering dust- that's how great OOTP5 is.

cincinnati chili
04-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Raisor and Doc scott:

I highly recommend you bookmark this site if you haven't

http://baseballsimcentral.com/index/

If you go to the "downloads" section, you can find updated rosters pictures of the new ballparks and all sorts of goodies.

ootp5 is a blast. It's tough on a marriage and on productivity, but it's sure a lot of fun.

My only complaint is that the in game needs a pitch-by-pitch mode. I recommend Diamond Mind for those who are more interested in being a 'manager' than a 'general manager/manager.'

Raisor
04-29-2003, 01:40 PM
It's official. I'm a OOTP5 addict.

Good grief, but this thing rules.

I got fired by my beloved Mariners, but got picked up by the Giants. Had to completely rebuild the team, and took the team into about 20-mil in debt, so who knows how long I'll have THIS job.

PSR

cincinnati chili
04-29-2003, 02:59 PM
I brought the Reds above .500 in 2003, then took them to the NLCS in 2004 and 2005 - completely rebuilding the organization and making them a ton of cash.

It's now the offseason before 2006, and I've bolted for more $$$. I was hired to rebuild the Phillies who are mired in debt from the contracts of Jim Thome, David Bell, etc.

Got a question for those who have played multiple seasons. Does the "age" of your wife have any bearing on whether or not you'll have kids? I made myself 41 years old, so I've been dating women aged 36-44. Got married at the end of the first year, but she filed for divorce almost immediately. Whoops. Life is going to imitate art if I keep playing this game around my wife.