PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone finally seeing what a lot of us have been preaching?

GIDP
08-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Not to say Homer is going to dominate from here on out but I think its safe to say we have been getting to see what the scouts see and what a lot of us who hang out in the minor league forum have said about what type of pitcher Homer is.

My thoughts on tonights game was its about time Homer took the fastball and worked off it instead of trying to work off the breaking pitches. He has always been a fastball 1st and keep you honest off the breaking balls in the minors but once he came up he would try to be too fine and try to fool batters way too often. He turned into Aaron Harang instead of staying the Josh Beckett, both ways work but Bailey is suited to be the latter obviously. His fastball is finally showing up like it was when he was in the minors, and doing it late into games like I used to see watching his AAA games. I'm excited as anyone can be now that we are seeing the Bailey I thought we would see.

Anyone else starting to understand why there was so much hype?

corwinator3407
08-28-2009, 10:59 PM
The welcomed arrival is finally here. I'm the happiest guy for him. Just got home from the game, sat behind the dugout and watched him absolutely dominate the best (imo) player in baseball along with probably the best top to bottom lineup in the NL. Everything was working tonight. Surprised he didn't get to go back out for the 9th, but I'm sure he'll take 8 shutout innings.

JWP
08-28-2009, 11:03 PM
I'll wait and see if he can put together a string of good starts, which he has yet been able to do on a big league level.

Tonight was definitely encouraging, though.

BurgervilleBuck
08-28-2009, 11:12 PM
My thoughts on tonights game was its about time Homer took the fastball and worked off it instead of trying to work off the breaking pitches. He has always been a fastball 1st and keep you honest off the breaking balls in the minors but once he came up he would try to be too fine and try to fool batters way too often.
I remember Brantley pointing something similar to this out over two years ago during a game. He kept imploring Bailey to stick with the fastball.

"Dance with whut brung ya," I believe he said.

GIDP
08-28-2009, 11:14 PM
I remember Brantley pointing something similar to this out over two years ago during a game. He kept imploring Bailey to stick with the fastball.

"Dance with whut brung ya," I believe he said.

Yea imagine how some of us have been thinking while seeing 2 different baileys. He is cutting the fastball loose finally and its making everything else he throws that much better. You cant pitch with only a 95+ MPH fastball but it makes it a whole lot easier.

Kingspoint
08-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Don't know how many times it's been said, but any young quality pitcher has to take his beatings just like everybody else. The first year with an ERA in the 6.00+ area, the next year, closer to 5.00, and then the next year, closer to 4.00. The Vida Blue's, Dwight Gooden's and Fernando Valenzuela's of the world are few and far between. The normal progression is like that of Johan Santana's. Better to peak later instead of earlier, anyway.

GIDP
08-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Baileys last 23 2/3 innings he has (this includes 5 ER against the Giants BTW)

18 scoreless
10 hitless
8 perfect

ERA 2.61

Hope he keeps it up.

Captain Hook
08-29-2009, 02:26 AM
I think that this year Bailey has been handled perfectly by the Reds.If he had made the rotation he might have been fine but dealing with not making it was important for Homer.He had never had a great outing with the Reds and had lost a few in a row going back to 2008.Going down to AAA and having success for the first time in a while was just as important.As it has been for many young starters it hasn't been an easy road for Bailey to get to the bigs and then have success.He still has had his struggles this year but he is now beginning to figure out how to be a major league pitcher.

It's been nice watching HB pitch his last 2 starts.I'm beginning to have a little hope for next year rotation as long as Cueto can get his problems straightened out.

Harang
Aaroyo
Cueto
Bailey
Woods

That could end up being better then the rotation that we thought couldn't miss this year as long as they stay healthy.

REDblooded
08-29-2009, 03:46 AM
wow.... what a great game tonight for Homer... Seriously... If this guy can just get his confidence up at the major league level, it's the key to 2010

mlh1981
08-29-2009, 09:18 AM
A kid his age, and with his stuff...............you just can't give up on him. I was always discouraged when I would read his name in the trade rumors. I didn't like the one where he was rumored to go to the White Sox for Jermaine Dye. The Reds certainly weren't a hitter away from contention, and to give up a young arm like Bailey's is something that I felt uncomfortable doing. Pitchers like him don't just grow on trees.

I expect we will probably still see a few erratic starts on this end, but after a few years in the bigs now, I have to think that maybe he's starting to figure things out. He showed ALOT of mental toughness last night in situations in which I expected him to fold.

Joeyjection19
08-29-2009, 01:53 PM
With the last few starts, he's earned his spot going into next spring. It would be really nice to have Edinson at his un-injured peak, but if he can come back and be an innings eater, you've got to feel good about the three youngin's (Cueto included). Add to that an Arroyo who finally has his head in Cincy and there's a potentially almost acceptable rotation.

Can we start worrying about run support, now? In every offseason thread, there's talk of adding pitchers- I don't get it. This team wins when they score runs, simple as that. I'm not saying we're a playoff team with just 1 or 2 moves, but pitching is not the problem.