PDA

View Full Version : Please explain what this team has to gain by pitching Cueto the rest of this season..

REDblooded
08-31-2009, 04:50 PM
I saw he was the projected starter tonight, and nearly lost it... This is an incredibly stupid decision at this point in the season. Shut the guy down, and think about next season, as well as the career of Cueto please...

Red in Atl
08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
What he said...

Boston Red
08-31-2009, 05:09 PM
As long as he's 100% healthy (big if I know), I would like to see him put together a handful of good starts that put him back on track headed for next year. I think it would definitely be a positive for him instead of having to start from scratch next February.

Captain Hook
08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Maybe the front office still feels the team can get to .500 this year.They only need to go 24-8 the rest of the way and if it's going to happen Cueto must be a big part of things.Who cares about a young pitchers future when the ultimate team accomplishment(going .500) is only a small miracle away.I give a lot of credit to the Reds for doing everything they can to win now when it really matters.

FlyerFanatic
08-31-2009, 06:10 PM
didnt you hear?

the losing stops now!

Newport Red
08-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Because I'll go out of my way to watch Cueto pitch. Not so much Ramon Ramirez.

davereds24
08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
i agree, even if he is 100% he shouldn't be out there.

mlh1981
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
If he's healthy enough to pitch, then he should pitch. It's what he's paid to do. I know some might disagree with this, and I realize the longterm risk of this, but I'm sure alot of thought and attention was given to this, and the organization made what they deemed to be the right decision..

Then again, this is the Reds we are talking about. :(

Hondo
08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
If he's healthy enough to pitch, then he should pitch. It's what he's paid to do. I know some might disagree with this, and I realize the longterm risk of this, but I'm sure alot of thought and attention was given to this, and the organization made what they deemed to be the right decision..

Then again, this is the Reds we are talking about. :(

I agree... "If" he IS Healthy, then he should Pitch...

I just wish Wells would have got shelled last night... Because now he may be considered an "Integral Piece of the future" when he is basically a retread...

Please get this guy out of here... Let him go to St. Louis and WIN 20...

BLEEDS
09-01-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but it might have something to do with the fact that

WE HAVE HARDLY ANY OTHER STARTING PITCHERS WE CAN CHOOSE FROM!!!

I guess we could pull some guys from Rookie ball at this point, but they may have pitching limits or something...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

PhillipsHead
09-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Let me remind every one here of Cueto's 8 starts before his injury:

Phi: 2/3 IP, 9 ER
NYM: 5 IP, 4 ER
Mil: 6 IP, 3 ER
ChC: 6 IP, 4 ER
SD: 5 IP, 6 ER
ChC: 5 2/3 IP, 5 ER
Stl: 2 IP, ER
Was: 2 2/3 IP, 7 ER

For a grand total of: 34 IP, 39 ER -- skyrocketing his ERA from 2.69 to 4.61.

Now anyone who wants to tell me ALL of these starts were from minor shoulder stiffness can stop commenting. Cueto was on a massive slide, turning this from a very promising season to a HIGHLY average one. If Cueto is not 100%, obviously I wouldn't want him to see the field. However, I'm pretty sure this organization knows how important Cueto is to our future, so I would like to believe that's why he's out there.

That being said, why would we NOT want to run him out there? Because if he sits all this year, and comes back to spring training without having tossed in a REAL game for 7 months that he'll just be back to the lights out form earlier this season? FAT chance...he needs to work some of those kinks out now so his arm will be ready for next season and so he'll know what he has to work on this offseason.

And tonight was an encouraging start. So let's put to sleep this "the losing stops now" sarcasm bull**** and look at what this really is: wanting to get one of our prized possessions back in shape, and spelling the barrage of minor leaguers who shouldn't be on major league diamonds right now...

BLEEDS
09-01-2009, 08:09 AM

Now anyone who wants to tell me ALL of these starts were from minor shoulder stiffness can stop commenting. Cueto was on a massive slide, turning this from a very promising season to a HIGHLY average one. If Cueto is not 100%, obviously I wouldn't want him to see the field. However, I'm pretty sure this organization knows how important Cueto is to our future, so I would like to believe that's why he's out there.

That being said, why would we NOT want to run him out there? Because if he sits all this year, and comes back to spring training without having tossed in a REAL game for 7 months that he'll just be back to the lights out form earlier this season? FAT chance...he needs to work some of those kinks out now so his arm will be ready for next season and so he'll know what he has to work on this offseason.

And tonight was an encouraging start. So let's put to sleep this "the losing stops now" sarcasm bull**** and look at what this really is: wanting to get one of our prized possessions back in shape, and spelling the barrage of minor leaguers who shouldn't be on major league diamonds right now...

That part is right.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

REDblooded
09-01-2009, 09:25 AM
i'm not 100% sure, but it might have something to do with the fact that

we have hardly any other starting pitchers we can choose from!!!

i guess we could pull some guys from rookie ball at this point, but they may have pitching limits or something...

Peace

-bleeds

micah freaking owings

GIDP
09-01-2009, 09:38 AM
if hes healthy I dont see a problem with it. He was put on the DL for a sore shoulder but it was pretty clear it was just to get a roster spot and to limit his innings. Dusty pulled him after 85 pitches as well. I think its obvious what they are doing here.

Griffey012
09-01-2009, 09:49 AM

Great post, you nailed it. Let's get him a couple 5 or 6 inning performances tonight to get him back on track into next season. And also to make sure the kinks are worked out.

REDblooded
09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Umm... If your "kinks" are injury related, they don't get "worked out"... they get worse.

Griffey012
09-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Umm... If your "kinks" are injury related, they don't get "worked out"... they get worse.

The injury can be a result of the kinks. It is well known that when Cueto gets bad he flails off to the first base side of the mound on his release. This is puts extra strain on the should, most likely resulting in his shoulder discomfort.

His injury was most likely "kink" related. It is important for him to rest the shoulder as he did, and get the "kink" straightened out which he looked to have done last night.