PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs our best chance to send WT to the bech in 2010

Captain Hook
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
We should all be pulling very hard for Stubbs.Dusty has to fall in love with him between now and the start of the 2010 season or else it will be Willy T starting again next year.Oh yeah and leading off also.

Stubbs is looking pretty good, at least over the last week in case no one is watching.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-31-2009, 10:30 PM
I was just about to post that. Man, we're screwed I think. Taveras makes like $5 mil next year doesn't he? That's like automatically starting for Reds management. Stubbs doesn't have the big time numbers really, but for whatever reason he just seems a LOT better than Taveras. Well, his numbers are actually better than Taveras, but you get what I'm saying. Didn't he hit more HR's today than Taveras has all year?

davereds24
08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Hopefully he's turning the corner here the past few games. If he can cut down on the K's Dusty will have nothing bad he can say about him.

He's already a better base stealer.

GIDP
08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Hopefully he's turning the corner here the past few games. If he can cut down on the K's Dusty will have nothing bad he can say about him.

He's already a better base stealer.

Hes a better everything

Jack Burton
08-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Is Taveras due back this year? It would be laughable for him to get pt over Stubbs at this point.

davereds24
08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Hes a better everything

no kidding

you really have a hard time understanding people dont you

GIDP
08-31-2009, 10:49 PM
no kidding

Whats with the insult? Maybe you have a hard time understanding.

GIDP
08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Is Taveras due back this year? It would be laughable for him to get pt over Stubbs at this point.

Dusty does some pretty laughable things.

TheBigLebowski
08-31-2009, 11:17 PM
no kidding

Where were you going with this one, homeslice? Unneccessary.

Griffey012
08-31-2009, 11:37 PM
If Stubbs gets to start the rest of the season in CF he will most likely have more 2b's, 3b's, HR's, RBI's, BB's, and K's than Taveras. Not that the K's mean anything when he surpasses Taveras in all other categories.

The only thing he will probably do less of than Willy? Making horrid reads in the outfield.

It is sickening to think a guy hitting .246 is severely out performing a guy we have seen start almost 100 games this year.

Captain Hook
09-01-2009, 12:49 AM
I would say that there is no way Stubbs beats out Willy because Willy is so fast but Stubbs is fast to.Maybe Dusty will decide who will start by having the two of them race.Fastest man wins the job.

FlyerFanatic
09-01-2009, 01:09 AM
willy will start next season because walt, dusty, and bob c. cant be paying a guy that much and not play him. more importantly, they dont want to suck up their pride and realize willy was a terrible signing

PhillipsHead
09-01-2009, 03:44 AM
I'd like to think that maybe they'd sit Stubbs for that reason because they did something similar this year (benching Dickerson for Taveras), but I think this scenario might be different because the organization has more invested in Stubbs because he's a former first round pick...

GIDP
09-01-2009, 09:40 AM
I would say that there is no way Stubbs beats out Willy because Willy is so fast but Stubbs is fast to.Maybe Dusty will decide who will start by having the two of them race.Fastest man wins the job.

Since when has results mattered to Dusty. Stubbs could win by 20 feet and I doubt Dusty would notice.

GIDP
09-01-2009, 09:41 AM
willy will start next season because walt, dusty, and bob c. cant be paying a guy that much and not play him. more importantly, they dont want to suck up their pride and realize willy was a terrible signing

I'll agree with this. These guys all have too much pride and think they are smarter than the average fan. Walt wont admit the mistake unless he has no choice, and Dusty will play a player until he starts hitting to rub it in a fans face.

Captain Hook
09-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I'll agree with this. These guys all have too much pride and think they are smarter than the average fan. Walt wont admit the mistake unless he has no choice, and Dusty will play a player until he starts hitting to rub it in a fans face.

What ever happened to taking pride in winning?

bounty37h
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
We should all be pulling very hard for Stubbs.Dusty has to fall in love with him between now and the start of the 2010 season or else it will be Willy T starting again next year.Oh yeah and leading off also.

Stubbs is looking pretty good, at least over the last week in case no one is watching.

I would normally have agreed, but I am thinking Dusty is going to get a serious come to jesus talk in the off season, and will be on the line next season. I dont think (maybe should say would hope/assume) FO will try and pull the wool over the fans eyes again. I think (again, hope) they will realize if they dont produce next year that a revolution may begin.

Red in Atl
09-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Bottom line is Taveras should be released. Eat the 2 million. And I think he's in Dusty's doghouse now anyway. He didn't hustle to first, Dusty yanked him and next day he's on the DL.

It's obvious how much better this team is without him. Oh and without Gonzo and Rosales in there everyday too. Heck even Janish is starting to look like a decent guy, though I don't think I'd bat him 2nd all year.

I'd love to see them get Scutaro as a FA or get JJ Hardy to complete the Weathers trade. I really don't think we are that far off from competing. But you can't have prolonged losing streaks without a prolonged win streak if you want to be in the race.

GIDP
09-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Its 4 million BTW not 2.

Jack Burton
09-02-2009, 06:33 PM
The Reds have the highest paid pinch runner in the league.

Slyder
09-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I can see this coming out of Duhhhsty's mouth....

When asked about the soon-to-return Willy Tavares Duhhhsty responded, "You don't lose your job to injury, dude. When he is ready he will be back out there in centerfield. (Insert some half complement about Stubbs), but Tavares is a proven major leaguer."

redsfanmia
09-02-2009, 06:59 PM
The Reds have the highest paid pinch runner in the league.

One that does not even steal bases.

UPRedsFan
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Stubbs and Dickerson need to split centerfield next year.

I could seem them putting up good combined numbers in a platoon.

Griffey012
09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Stubbs and Dickerson need to split centerfield next year.

I could seem them putting up good combined numbers in a platoon.

Anyone is gonna put up good numbers out there next year!...at least compared to what we saw from Taveras this year.

I am praying we dump him off.

The addition by subtraction of getting Willy out of CF would be the equivalent of us getting a big time LF'er over what we have out there already.

Captain Hook
09-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Bottom line is Taveras should be released. Eat the 4 million next year.

Fixed that for ya.That's a ton of money to eat for a team like the Reds.

Mistakes happen though and all could be forgiven if everyone involved would just fess up and admit that the signing was a mistake.Dickerson and Stubbs are 2 options that are far more productive then Tavaras.Neither make much money so I think the money wasted could be justified somewhat.I don't think there is anyway we can trade Willy so releasing him makes the most sense.

Hondo
09-03-2009, 12:26 AM
I know Dusty will be around here for Opening Day, but I bet he gets the Heave Ho around June 20th when they are really out of it... Along with Dick Pole...

Captain Hook
09-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Another nice day for Stubbs.I think he has to be close to winning the job next year.No coincident imo that the Reds have been a winning team since he took over for Tavaras.

goreds2
09-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I like a leadoff hitter with some power. That way, we don't have to worry about the next hitter messing up a SAC. Bunt. He can swing away. :beerme:

Ghosts of 1990
09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
stubbs our only hope!

Captain Hook
09-08-2009, 01:21 PM
stubbs our only hope!

Pretty much.If Tavaras is allowed to play with any regularity next year we have just about no chance.There is very little doubt in my mind that Willy is so bad that he can be a big part of making our season a success next year by simply not being on the team.

Red in Atl
09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Pretty much.If Tavaras is allowed to play with any regularity next year we have just about no chance.There is very little doubt in my mind that Willy is so bad that he can be a big part of making our season a success next year by simply not being on the team.

Agreed. Totally. I think the last month is proof that replacing EE and Willy was half our problem. The other half is to get Bruce back in Right, a real SS and our starting rotation back.

I am in complete belief now that this team is close to competing for a playoff position. The four games in Denver should build a little character for this team. They thought going to Atlanta would be competing against a real team, but I think the Rockies have shown what a real MLB team does on the field to win.

Hopefully a few roster tweeks and some maturity can take this team to the next level next year. Would love to see this as the roster coming out of ST 2010:

Stubbs/Dickerson CF
Phillips 2nd
Votto 1st
Rolen 3rd
Bruce RF
Gomes LF
Hanigan C
JJ Hardy/Scutaro SS

Rotation: Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, Lehr/Owings/Maloney

Captain Hook
09-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Willy has 2368 official ABs.Drew Stubbs has 131 and he just tied Willy for career HRs tonight with his 8th.Stubbs .260 BA and .312 OBP isn't ideal for the leading off but he could improve.His defense has proven to be superior to Willy's as well.

I'm starting to feel a little better about the chances of Willy riding the pine next year at the very least.Hopefully management realizes that there are at least 6 or 7 and maybe more guys on the current team and down in the minors better then Tavaras and just eat his contract next year.