PDA

View Full Version : Time to DX Bruce

flash
09-04-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm am really tired of all the hype for Bruce. He clearly isn't a big league hitter.

Someone stated that he is a 30 home run a year hitter. Well, presently Gnomes presently has one less home run and more RBI's in considerably fewer AB's. nix has even done just as well. everyone seemingly seems content with the he's learning. It's high time he graduated. Currently he is 0-5 in Louisville. Doesn't look like he is ready to be back.

HalMorrisRules
09-04-2009, 10:51 PM
He's 22!!!! :rolleyes:

Votto was playing at Chattanooga when he was 22 and he turned out alright. There is no reason to rush to a judgment.

will5979
09-04-2009, 11:53 PM
DX Bruce>? Does that mean HBK and HHH show and says he must hit .280 with 30 hr and 100 rbi, and he if he ain't down with that...

we got 2 words for ya...

SUCK IT!!!

Griffey012
09-04-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm am really tired of all the hype for Bruce. He clearly isn't a big league hitter.

Someone stated that he is a 30 home run a year hitter. Well, presently Gnomes presently has one less home run and more RBI's in considerably fewer AB's. nix has even done just as well. everyone seemingly seems content with the he's learning. It's high time he graduated. Currently he is 0-5 in Louisville. Doesn't look like he is ready to be back.

Just keep hitting that bottle, we obviously have bigger issues to take care of. I hope this thread was some sort of sarcastic joke.

REDblooded
09-05-2009, 12:10 AM
lmao... this forum offers a 1:8 ratio of worthwhile threads to absolutely horrible ones.

mroby85
09-05-2009, 12:30 AM
While I don't agree with the way this was presented, I agree that if Bruce hadn't been hyped as a scout, I wouldn't be able to see the talent that i've heard about. He just looks lost at the plate with no plan when he gets up there. Before we keep saying he's 22, is he the prodigy everyone said? because there are players that produce at this age, and he's doing much less than producing. I'm just saying just because he's 22 doesn't mean he couldn't be a bust.

redhawk61
09-05-2009, 10:16 AM
While I don't agree with the way this was presented, I agree that if Bruce hadn't been hyped as a scout, I wouldn't be able to see the talent that i've heard about. He just looks lost at the plate with no plan when he gets up there. Before we keep saying he's 22, is he the prodigy everyone said? because there are players that produce at this age, and he's doing much less than producing. I'm just saying just because he's 22 doesn't mean he couldn't be a bust.
Do you remember this one kid by the name of Homer Bailey? He was hyped up then came up for 3 years at different stints and was horrible. However, after given time and exposure to the majors, he finally seemed to get it and began to fulfill the promise that the scouts said that he could.

Griffey012
09-05-2009, 10:35 AM

I would have to say he has flashed the talent, he just hasnt put it together consistently. Remember the way he hit when he came up last year? He was drilling everyone. And there were times this year when he almost single handedly won some games. For example the St.Louis game on a Saturday in May, had a diving catch with 2 outs that saved a run or 2, turned around and hit a go ahead home run a bit later.

His defense and arm are already top notch, his power is there, he was on pace for a 30+, 70rbi season before his injury. His OBP is sitting 60-75 points above his batting average which is solid for a 22 year old. He just needs to become more consistent and bump up his batting average.

He isn't Miguel Cabrera who torched pitchers at 21 years old, but not many are.

Old NDN
09-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Bruce may indeed, put it together soon. But his inconsistency (esp. vs. lefties) is why you shouldn't let Gomes or Nix get away. Both have proven to be pretty productive and capable replacements, if not starters, on the Reds.

tbball10
09-05-2009, 10:52 AM
wow

kfm
09-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Is this a serious thread? This has to be a joke right? Another example of the intelligent Cincinnati baseball fan:)

SeeinRed
09-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Bruce may indeed, put it together soon. But his inconsistency (esp. vs. lefties) is why you shouldn't let Gomes or Nix get away. Both have proven to be pretty productive and capable replacements, if not starters, on the Reds.

Although I understand what your are saying, I don't see Nix as a starter right now. He is a guy that could put together a decent season if he can put everything together, but right now between injuries and some inconsistency he hasn't proven to be reliable enough.

Gomes is probably not going to be much more than a good option as a 4th OF. I really like what this guy can do, but he is probably not the player you see now.

To the topic of this thread, Bruce is very talented. There is very little doubt about that. Baseball is a very tough game to play and even all the talent in the world doesn't promise you a HOF career. Lets be honest, he was probably rushed a little quicker than he should have been. However, there is no reason at all to say he isn't going to become a productive player. His peripherals were indicating he was very unlucky earlier in the season. I tend to believe that he is proof of how this game can eat young players alive mentally. He was unlucky, got frustrated and was trying way too hard. His injury was very unfortunate, but it may be what he needed in order to ease his mind a little.

Everyone has heard the saying that you have to let the game come to you. I think this is where the saying came from. Sometimes slumps are caused from being unlucky and not always a flaw or something you are doing wrong. Its when you start changing things that you go from bad to worse and everything just snowballs. I think that is what happened to Bruce.

GIDP
09-05-2009, 11:17 AM
what is DX

texasdave
09-05-2009, 12:46 PM
what is DX

Designate for assignment? That is just a guess.

gedred69
09-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Bruce was rushed a bit to MLB, and we were all dying to see him here. His problem at the plate is clearly the struggle against LHers, which in turn causes him to "press" anytime at the plate. He will NOT lay off the outside curveball that a LHer throws. Since he won't lay off, somebody needs to show him how to hit it. Then, he should be a star.

BurgervilleBuck
09-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Y'see, this is what really, really frustrates me with some Reds fans. Through April and May of 2007, everyone was clamoring for Homer Bailey to get called up. He did, pitched well, then started to struggle. Low & behold, these folks wanted him traded.

Most of last season, people wanted Bruce up. He came up, did really well, and has since struggled at the plate. Now these folks want him traded or DFA.

Look, I'm frustrated that we have yet another losing Reds season but if you want to call up the kids, then you're going to have to understand that it's going to take some adjustment to the major league level.

*grump*

Ghosts of 1990
09-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't say this often, if ever. But a terrible post by the OP on all fronts.

terminator
09-08-2009, 11:24 AM
what is DX

Maybe DX = D & X = Dilation & Extraction = Abortion. That's how I took it.

Ridiculous post. Even as raw as he is, Bruce's defense and power clearly warrant him being a starter on this team.

Ghosts of 1990
09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I think Bruce might be activated today from what I'm hearing

bgwilly31
09-08-2009, 01:43 PM
By no means should we be thinking of giving up on the kid.

But bruce is very frustrating to watch sometimes. Just the way he struggles and swings at balls that bounce in front of plate. Same mistakes over and over again and not noticeably making adjustments.

Newman4
09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Just for comparison sake, Bruce is 5 days older than Yonder Alonzo.

Ghosts of 1990
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Just for comparison sake, Bruce is 5 days older than Yonder Alonzo.

Great point. This experience at the MLB level will serve Jay Bruce well in the years to come.

topsyt
09-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree, it appears the financial plan of this club is limited and we are forced (unless the payroll is upped) to call up younger talent sooner than may be merited-remember Homer- Jay is going to payoff sooner than later.