PDA

View Full Version : Ramon Hernandez

Slyder
09-18-2009, 08:59 PM
As most know he has an option year left on his contract. ORG started up a poll and I wanted to get it onto Sun Deck just to compare.

bounty37h
09-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I was totally against him when we got him, and was vocal here about it, but he impressed me with his play, and even more his heart and efforts to fill in at 1'st when Votto was down. I dont know details of his option payout, but guessing its more then we would/should pay, but I would love to have him back as #2 catcher at a decent price if possible.

Captain Hook
09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
If he can be signed for a couple million for 1 year then ok.A 7 million 2 year(my guess is he would want something like this) deal would be way too much considering there will be some other vet with comparable talent that we could sign to a minor league deal or close to league minimum.

GIDP
09-23-2009, 01:16 PM
No thanks.

roby
09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
I have been impressed with Hernandez this season. I don't think that we have seen him at his best either. He generally hits quite a few more homeruns and is more clutch than what we've seen. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a much better offensive year next season...especially if Hannigan gets a lot more playing time and he gets a little more rest. I would try to sign him to a cheaper deal, if not he'd have to go elsewhere.

dougflynn23
09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
It would have to be an awful deep discount. He will be coming off the worst year of his career and it is coming out that his legs were a problem all year (WBC?). He's no kid anymore. If he'd take a $2MM deal with some incentives that would be fine, but any higher demands and you allow him to walk away.

tobttr
09-23-2009, 04:15 PM
It's nice to see that some of you feel as I do about him. I like the guy; he seems to be about as good as any catcher we have had in the last 5 years or so. His physical well-being is a concern, though. I would be fine with Hernandez & Hanigan as the tandem in '10, provided they are healthy.

RedLakerFan24
09-23-2009, 06:03 PM
8.5 Mil is too much, maybe a deal that would pay him 5 would be good but not 8.5

kfm
09-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Before he got hurt, they had a very productive catcher tandem. When Hanigan started playing every day, we see what happened to his numbers. For the right price, I like having both of them on the team.

Griffey012
09-23-2009, 07:35 PM
I think him and Hanigan splitting time is our best option. Hanigan should play about 45-60 games and Ramon should take the rest. Hanigan was a nice little story at the beginning of the season but he has shown that he is a solid #2 catching option. 10 rbi's in 240 AB's is just not ok regardless of where you hit in the order. That is about about the same pace Taveras gets rbi's.

Ramon has hit well in clutch situations and has always been a solid hitter with RISP. As anemic as our offense may be in some areas we have to get some offensive production from the catcher spot and Ramon and Hanigan were giving us solid production when they were both healthy and playing.

Next season Hanigan should get a little more time than he did earlier this year, but he is Hernandez needs to play more because of his offense.

Captain Hook
09-24-2009, 12:41 AM
8.5 Mil is too much, maybe a deal that would pay him 5 would be good but not 8.5

You have to figure that the Reds are giving him 1 million just to buy him out.If they sign him to a 5 mil deal for 2010 then that's basically 6 mil they are paying him.IMO he is a just slightly all around below average catcher.Paying him that kind of $$$ would be just about as bad as paying Willy T. 4 mil to ride the bench.

It would literally make me sick to have 10 mil. wrapped up in a back up catcher and 5th outfielder next season.

PhillipsHead
09-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Why is EVERYONE sold on Hanigan starting at C next year? I mean sure, he's a solid defensive catcher, above average arm, and can get on...but then what. I like Hanigan, but face facts...he showed NO signs of being a run producer, and it's not like he hasn't had his chances. He gives quality ABs seemingly with no one in scoring position, and that notion of him hitting towards the top of the lineup is downright stupid considering he has no speed whatsoever.

At least Ramon finally gave us a decent bat at C where he provided quality ABs to drive in some clutch runs (cite: 2-1 win @ HOU with the 9th inning homer). His average tailed off to around .250, but if you watched Ramon at all this year, he showed consistent signs of being able to produce runs. He isn't worth 8 mil, but he's worth his option. He should be our starter next year, and with him and Hanigan splitting time, and him capable of spelling Votto at first, he is a piece we need to keep at this point in time. (Unless you'd REALLY like Corky Miller or Craig Tatum as a backup next year)

Captain Hook
09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Why is EVERYONE sold on Hanigan starting at C next year? I mean sure, he's a solid defensive catcher, above average arm, and can get on...but then what. I like Hanigan, but face facts...he showed NO signs of being a run producer, and it's not like he hasn't had his chances. He gives quality ABs seemingly with no one in scoring position, and that notion of him hitting towards the top of the lineup is downright stupid considering he has no speed whatsoever.

At least Ramon finally gave us a decent bat at C where he provided quality ABs to drive in some clutch runs (cite: 2-1 win @ HOU with the 9th inning homer). His average tailed off to around .250, but if you watched Ramon at all this year, he showed consistent signs of being able to produce runs. He isn't worth 8 mil, but he's worth his option. He should be our starter next year, and with him and Hanigan splitting time, and him capable of spelling Votto at first, he is a piece we need to keep at this point in time. (Unless you'd REALLY like Corky Miller or Craig Tatum as a backup next year)

Not that what your saying is completely wrong but Hanigan has hit in the 8th spot most of the year, Ramon for what ever reason bats 5th or 6th most of the time when he plays.That makes a difference when talking about run producing.Hanigan despite his avg. having dropped considerably still is one of the team leaders in obp. He is a much better defensive C then Ramon as well.While they are close over all I'd give the edge to Ryan.When you consider the money they make I don't think there is any argument who deserves the chance to get most of the starts.If Ramon is going to be the back up anything over 2 mil next year for his services is too much.

RoundingThird
09-24-2009, 06:26 PM
I've been impressed with Hernandez when healthy, I like his bat and I like his versatility. If he can be brought back at a reasonable price then I'd say to it. My only concern is his health. I like Ryan Hanigan but I'm not sure he could hit well enought over an entire season to be our starting catcher.

Kingspoint
09-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I clicked "exercise the option", but I assumed it was for less than $3M.

I would want him but not for anything more than $3M.

He's a part-time player....350 AB's maximum.