PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the Red's starting pitcher on opening day 2010?

Carolina Red
09-19-2009, 01:11 AM
I'd have to say Homer Bailey, I think he's our best chance to beat Chris Carpenter.

GIDP
09-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Its going to be Harang unless hes not here. Only way Bailey gets it is if he pitches this good the rest of the year and then is lights out in spring.

vottofan4life
09-19-2009, 09:58 AM
I dont even think Bronson or Harang will be with the reds next season so whats the point

justincredible
09-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Harang.

SoTxRedsFan
09-19-2009, 02:17 PM
If bronson is here next season, i'd give him the ball.

Ghosts of 1990
09-19-2009, 02:27 PM
People saying Harang, Arroyo are making me laugh. Those guys are lucky to be 3 or 4's at this point in their career. Harang especially is mediocre at this stage. Homer Bailey has legitimate DOMINATING stuff. He is experience away from Tim Lincecum territory. These are probably the same people who wanted to dump Homer Bailey for anything at all, including Jermaine Dye.

Bailey will start on opening day next year, with Johnny Cueto to follow. You watch. Remember what Pujols said "Homer Bailey is going to be a star in this game".

Kingspoint
09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I voted other.

Sign Rich Harden, and see if he proves it in Spring Training.

Captain Hook
09-19-2009, 04:37 PM
People saying Harang, Arroyo are making me laugh. Those guys are lucky to be 3 or 4's at this point in their career. Harang especially is mediocre at this stage. Homer Bailey has legitimate DOMINATING stuff. He is experience away from Tim Lincecum territory. These are probably the same people who wanted to dump Homer Bailey for anything at all, including Jermaine Dye.

Bailey will start on opening day next year, with Johnny Cueto to follow. You watch. Remember what Pujols said "Homer Bailey is going to be a star in this game".

Your opinion about Bailey is fine and I'm starting to agree.To say he will be the starter next year is a reach at best though.I know and I would of thought that you would know to that one of the older vets will get the nod as long as Baker has anything to say about the decision.I'm not saying it's right, just that it's going to be that way.

texasdave
09-19-2009, 05:29 PM
I voted other.

+1

gedred69
09-20-2009, 04:39 PM
By 2nd half performance you'd think Arroyo, but hey, he's a 2nd half pitcher. (Proven again this season). It's wide open but most likely Harang, with an outside shot to Homer. Who has the best stats against StL? We sure won't know from ST performance as the Reds are stupidly moving to Az. (Won't be any big name starter coming here, check the economics).

RedLakerFan24
09-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Brandon Webb

Ghosts of 1990
09-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I voted other.

You surprise me with this man.

In other words, pay a boatload of cash to a guy who's never put it together or stayed healthy for 1 full season? Really? Love Hardens stuff on SOME nights, but he's far from consistent in performance and health departments.

Kingspoint
09-21-2009, 06:17 PM
You surprise me with this man.

In other words, pay a boatload of cash to a guy who's never put it together or stayed healthy for 1 full season? Really? Love Hardens stuff on SOME nights, but he's far from consistent in performance and health departments.

You are right. The contract would have to be right, and he'd still have to prove it in Spring Training.

I like RedLakeFan24's idea of Webb better, of course. But, I don't see us coming up with a $100M contract for a pitcher this off-season. $40-$50M seems more reasonable for us. I think Harden can be had for that.

Captain Hook
09-21-2009, 08:36 PM
You are right. The contract would have to be right, and he'd still have to prove it in Spring Training.

I like RedLakeFan24's idea of Webb better, of course. But, I don't see us coming up with a $100M contract for a pitcher this off-season. $40-$50M seems more reasonable for us. I think Harden can be had for that.

I don't think there is any chance we fork out that kind of contract to anyone.What should be expected is that we go with guys we already have for the rotation and in the pen with maybe a deal for a reliable vet for a few mil. at the most.The only way that changes is if Harang, Arroyo or Cordero are moved in a deal where another team takes on their full salary.

Carolina Red
09-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Do any of you really think we should pay a boatload of cash for another starter? If we did have any extra cash to spend I'd hope it would be on a shortstop who can field and hit for a decent average.

RedLakerFan24
09-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Josh Johnson, there was an article that the Marlins would be looking to trade him in the offseason because he becomes a FA after next season and would not afford to keep him so they want to unload him and get something for him, Yonder Alonso + Travis Wood + Juan Francisco for Josh Johnson?

Kingspoint
09-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Do any of you really think we should pay a boatload of cash for another starter? If we did have any extra cash to spend I'd hope it would be on a shortstop who can field and hit for a decent average.

Yes. Get rid of Rolen and his contract, and either Arroyo or Harang's contract, and you've all of a sudden got $22M + or - $3M to spend.

Captain Hook
09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Yes. Get rid of Rolen and his contract, and either Arroyo or Harang's contract, and you've all of a sudden got $22M + or - $3M to spend.

I think that the Reds tried to get rid of Arroyo and Harang and no team would bite without demanding the Reds pay a good portion of their contracts.It's easy to get rid of big contract when talking about doing it at RZ but much harder to do it in real life when you actually have to get another team to agree to things.Besides the guys we're talking about would likely do no better then Arroyo or Harang next year and cost the same.