PDA

View Full Version : GM For A Little

RedLakerFan24
09-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Ok im going to post trades that i would like this off season to happen

Trade Chris Heinsey + Micah Owings for JJ Hardy, Brewers want him out so he could solve our short stop problem, but im not sure whether the Brewers trade within the division but we traded Weathers to them

Trade Juan Francisco(Or Todd Frazier) + Chris Valaika for Francisco Lariano, Twins have given up on this kid, he is still young and has a good arm, i think a change of team could help him, he is 5-12 this season but is still young

Trade Aaron Harang to the Yankees for Ian Kennedy, Salary relief, any prospect will do, the Yankees do this because Joba Chamberlain is not getting it done he is only going 3-5 innings a game and getting the bullpen involve early, i believe the Yankees would be willing to Move Joba to the Bullpen

Trade Francisco Cordero to the Phillies for Salary relief, Brad Lidge has been one of the worst Closers this year and a trade to Philly makes sense there is no FA closer so Cordero would be an option for the Phillies

Trade Bronson Arroyo to the Dodgers for James McDonald, Bronson Arroyo in Dodger stadium would do great, a pithchers Ball Park and Bronson does not get Hurt so the dodger would consider this, since piching this year included John Lackey which the dodger dont want to waste this much money, Branon Webb (injury past), Rich Harden (injury prone) so Bronson would make sense with Kershaw-Billingsley-Arroyo-Kuroda-Wolf

Sign Jermaine to a 2yr/20Mil contract, then sign Ramon Hernandez for Cheaper

Line Up

1.CF Drew Stubbs
2.2B Brandon Phillips
3.1B Joey Votto
4.LF Jermaine Dye
5.3B Scott Rolen
6.RF Jay Bruce
7.SS JJ Hardy
8.C Ramon Hernandez

Starters
1.Johny Cueto
2.Homer Bailey
3.Francisco Lariano
4.James McDonald
5.Ian Kennedy

Bull Pen
Closer: Nick Masset
SU: Carlos Fisher
Danny Herrera
Jared Burton
Pedro Viola
etc..

flash
09-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I don't know why so many people want to get rid of harang, Arroyo and Cordero.

Cordero may be the best closer in the game right now. Yes, he makes a lot, but he earns it. Yes he blew a save last week, but it was in his fifth straight appearance.

Harang has done everything the Reds ask of him the past two years including going long in an extra inning game, and returning after a two hour rain delay. Harang is a pitcher who's timing is of paramont importance. In both of those cases his timing was thrown off for weeks. He is great for the team and community. I don't think we have seen the best of him yet either.

Although I think Arroyo is a head case he is tough. Take care of his hand issues this off-season and make sure he is ready to start the year. No guitar man during the off season. Fix that hand.

If the Reds want to trade for anyone try for Brignac with the Rays. They can offer Alonso or Francisco since the Rays are going to be needing a 1B/ DH type. The Rays have some good outfield prospects and are set at short with Bartlett.

Sign Josh Horn. I don't know how it came to be that the best- hitting shortstop in the minors came to be at Wichita in the independent league American Association, but if the Reds don't sign him someone else will.

Griffey012
09-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know why so many people want to get rid of harang, Arroyo and Cordero.

Cordero may be the best closer in the game right now. Yes, he makes a lot, but he earns it. Yes he blew a save last week, but it was in his fifth straight appearance.

Harang has done everything the Reds ask of him the past two years including going long in an extra inning game, and returning after a two hour rain delay. Harang is a pitcher who's timing is of paramont importance. In both of those cases his timing was thrown off for weeks. He is great for the team and community. I don't think we have seen the best of him yet either.

Although I think Arroyo is a head case he is tough. Take care of his hand issues this off-season and make sure he is ready to start the year. No guitar man during the off season. Fix that hand.

If the Reds want to trade for anyone try for Brignac with the Rays. They can offer Alonso or Francisco since the Rays are going to be needing a 1B/ DH type. The Rays have some good outfield prospects and are set at short with Bartlett.

Sign Josh Horn. I don't know how it came to be that the best- hitting shortstop in the minors came to be at Wichita in the independent league American Association, but if the Reds don't sign him someone else will.

Can you expand on this guy a bit? I have never heard the name but I am assuming you know a lot about him.

Kingspoint
09-24-2009, 06:58 PM
If only I could be GM for one day...just 24 hours....that's all I'd need to improve this club drastically (but I need more to make the trades).

1. Fire Dusty! (Don't let the door hit you on the way out.)
2. Hire Rick Sweet to a 5-year contract. Give him job security and let him plan our next World Series title without worrying about whether he'll be around to see it.
3. Release Willy T. Ramon Hernandez, and Nix
4. Trade Rolen, Cordero, Harang, and Arroyo, but as soon as Harang or Arroyo is traded, keep the other one. Under no condtions, keep Rolen and Cordero.
5. Use the $40M picked up from the Rolen, Cordero, Harang and Hernandez contracts and go after Brandon Webb and a Shortstop.

There's more, but that's plenty. With those moves we could win the World Series in 2010.

Slyder
09-24-2009, 09:24 PM

For me its all about the $$$. If we had even a St. Louis-esque payroll then you could juggle the books a bit to help afford the luxury of CoCo to close. But its a case of managing assets, what good is a closer if you cannot get the game to him with a lead? He becomes a paperweight and a big waste of assets, at least to me it does. The ownership hasnt proven that they are willing to spend that extra money thus far to put us on a better footing budget wise and it doesnt make sense to blow that much on a guy who only pitches 1 inning, 2 innings max. Please note I wouldnt just give him away for salary flex, but if I had to take a Ryan Freel to get a better return I would in a heart beat.

I think its more about the belief that Harang would have the most value in any trade. I dont care who is in the deal, anyone could be had with the right deal.

I dont like proposing trades, I dont know enough about the minors of all the teams to know who needs what. I like reading opinions on here and the speculation. But thats my 2 cents.

roby
09-24-2009, 11:08 PM
For me its all about the $$$. If we had even a St. Louis-esque payroll then you could juggle the books a bit to help afford the luxury of CoCo to close. But its a case of managing assets, what good is a closer if you cannot get the game to him with a lead? He becomes a paperweight and a big waste of assets, at least to me it does. The ownership hasnt proven that they are willing to spend that extra money thus far to put us on a better footing budget wise and it doesnt make sense to blow that much on a guy who only pitches 1 inning, 2 innings max. Please note I wouldnt just give him away for salary flex, but if I had to take a Ryan Freel to get a better return I would in a heart beat.

I think its more about the belief that Harang would have the most value in any trade. I dont care who is in the deal, anyone could be had with the right deal.

I dont like proposing trades, I dont know enough about the minors of all the teams to know who needs what. I like reading opinions on here and the speculation. But thats my 2 cents.

On the closer issue...maybe you forget a few years back when the Reds took repeated leads into the eighth and ninth innings only to see the bullpen blow the game. Cordero has stopped all of that. He is one of the best players on this team and is earning his money. I say keep him. If the Reds can't raise the payroll, maybe they should stop calling themselves a major league team.

Slyder
09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
On the closer issue...maybe you forget a few years back when the Reds took repeated leads into the eighth and ninth innings only to see the bullpen blow the game. Cordero has stopped all of that. He is one of the best players on this team and is earning his money. I say keep him. If the Reds can't raise the payroll, maybe they should stop calling themselves a major league team.

How many teams throw the large pile of cash at a closer to have them go BJ Ryan or Brad Lidge? Im not saying going back to house of cards closer but almost 1/5 of the total payroll being paid for one inning is INSANE with all our other gigantic holes. You could find guys on FA usually half of what Cordero is making and using the other half to address other problems.

flash
09-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Can you expand on this guy a bit? I have never heard the name but I am assuming you know a lot about him.

I be honest with you, I don't know a lot. Everyone knows the Reds need a shortstop, bu there really isn't that much availible on the major league level and what is availible is expensive and iffy (Miguel Tejada). In the minors there isn't a whole lot either. The Reds do have Cozart, the Rays Brignac. The Yankess have a guy named Nunez at AA who hits pretty good, but it looks like he has stone hands (33 errors) The Mets have a guy at AA who looks all right, but nothing great.

So I checked out the Independent Leagues and found this guy Josh Horn. He batted .310 this year with an OBP of ..393. Hhis OPS was .700. Not a great power hitter, but he also had 19 steals in 20 attempts. He did have 16 errors in 93 games.

It was hard to find any more out about him because apparently there is another guy by the same name who pitches for the Richmond Spiders. When you check on the baseball cube the Spider always pops up first and all you get is pitching stats. You have to go to the hitting stats to find the Wingnut.

Anyway, in 2006 Horn batted .330 with a OBP of .398 and OPS of .898 for Middle Tennessee State. He was All Conference in the Sun Belt Conference. Wasn't drafted so he signed with the Windy City Thunderbolts of the independent Frontier League. In 2007 he batted .302 with an OBP of .386, and a OPS of .821. Stayed with them in 2008, batted .290 with an OBP of .334 and an OPS of .738. In 2009 the Wichita Wingnuts of the independent American Association signed him and he batted .310 with an OPB of .393 and an OPS of .700 He was an all-star in the frontier League in both 07 and 08, and an all star in the American Association this past year. He has also been a volunteer baseball coach at Belmont College

That is all I know about him. I even tried to get some info on Wichita sites about him, but other than the fact that he was credited with providing the Wingnuts the spark that got them into the AA playoffs. The Wingnuts did pick up his option for 2010.

The thing is if the Reds, or any other club (I can't believe the Royals don't know about him.) the would buy the contract which can't be that expensive, then signed him to a minor league contract which also would not be that expensive they might have themselves a pretty good shortstop. it is a lot cheaper than trading a good prospect away for a so-so prospect. It also is a lot cheaper than picking up a Tejada.

Knowing the Reds need of a SS I think a minor league contract is worth the risk.

will5979
09-25-2009, 08:35 AM
1. Trade Harang, he is too expensive and is damaged goods, he needs a change of scenery.
2. Get rid of Tavarez and Hernandez in any way shape or form, hopefully trading for a shortstop.
3. Sign the FA right handed bat we were promised last year, a great hitting catcher will do.
4. KEEP COCO CORDERO, there is a reason we kick ass after 8 innings.
5. Bring up Alonzo and make either he or Votto play LF.
6. Sign a FA starting pitcher-a reliable one

Lineup...

1. Stubbs CF
2. New SS
3. Phillips 2B
4. Votto LF/1B
5. Rolen 3B
6. Bruce RF
7. Alonzo LF/1B
8. New C

Rotation

1. Arroyo
2. Bailey
3. Cueto
4. new pitcher
5. Lehr? I don't know

BEETTLEBUG
09-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Sorry but there is not a great RH hitting catcher out there that is not too old and over the hill

Griffey012
09-26-2009, 02:34 AM
1. Trade Harang, he is too expensive and is damaged goods, he needs a change of scenery.
2. Get rid of Tavarez and Hernandez in any way shape or form, hopefully trading for a shortstop.
3. Sign the FA right handed bat we were promised last year, a great hitting catcher will do.
4. KEEP COCO CORDERO, there is a reason we kick ass after 8 innings.
5. Bring up Alonzo and make either he or Votto play LF.
6. Sign a FA starting pitcher-a reliable one

Lineup...

1. Stubbs CF
2. New SS
3. Phillips 2B
4. Votto LF/1B
5. Rolen 3B
6. Bruce RF
7. Alonzo LF/1B
8. New C

Rotation

1. Arroyo
2. Bailey
3. Cueto
4. new pitcher
5. Lehr? I don't know

Those are great but are pipe dreams. We can't trade away Hernandez anyway unless we picked up his option which would be a poor move in the first place. And in the instance Taveras was included in any package for a SS the SS would have to make a few mil and make Janish look like an All-Star.

We are not gonna get the big RH bat via free agency. We do not have the money to spend 15 million a year on Bay or Holliday. Our best option for a RH bat is going to be some sort of trade, but I am guessing Rolen turns out to be that bat Jocketty promised us.

JayBruceFan
09-26-2009, 04:41 AM
My 2009 Reds:

Lineup:

C: Ramon Hernandez or a FA Upgrade
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Todd Frazier
3B: Scott Rolen
SS: Brandon Phillips
LF: Jonny Gomes
CF: Drew Stubbs
RF: Jay Bruce

Bench:

Rosales
Sutton
Dickerson
Janish

My 2009 Rotation:

Arroyo
Bailey
Cueto
Harang
Maloney

I left gaps on the Bench and the Bullpen obviously

Moves to be made:

If Frazier isn't ready for 2B, leave BP at 2B and leave Janish at SS

DON'T TRADE COCO FOR ANYONE. (Brad Lidge included. That is just idiotic to consider)

Farnsie
09-27-2009, 02:52 PM
GM for a day? Sweet... Here's what I would do. Besides the obvious like fire Dusty, hire Sweet, release Taveras and Nix, try and get Hernandez cheaper and so on....

1. Offer Milwaukee Dickerson and a reliever (Ramirez?) for Hardy. They don't seem to have a lot of relief depth. If they don't bite, take it up a notch and switch Dickerson to Balentien. Or...

1.1. If we can't get Hardy turn to the Rays and offer them Yonder Alonso, Viola, Dickerson/Balentien and a low-level prospect for Brignac, J.P. Howell and a prospect.

2. Seeing how brittle the Marlins rotation always seems and depending on how they handle the Josh Johnson-situation offer them Harang for Andrew Miller. Miller hasn't been able to use his potential in Florida so far, it seems. Maybe they'd like to further strenghten their rotation with a guy like Harang. Throw in a scruffy prospect if they're hesitant. Plus I'd love to free up some more money...

3. With some extra money offer Doug Davis a contract or take a flyer on Sheets.

4. Since I'm happy with Hanigan don't do anything major with the catcher position. Try and get Hernandez cheaper... If not, we got a bat at shortstop so it also doesn't seem necessary. Instead sign a guy like Jose Molina, if we can't get him for very, very little money just go in with Corky as a backup. Even though he's a bad hitter he seems to work well with our young pitchers.

Infield

Hanigan C
Rolen 3B
Hardy SS
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B

Outfield

Dorn/Gomes LF
Stubbs CF
Bruce RF (Screw it, just let him play. I'm not feeling that platoon-thought)

Starters

Cueto
Bailey
Arroyo
Doug Davis/Matt Maloney
A. Miller

Bullpen

Cordero
Masset
Herrera
Owings/Fisher
Rhodes
Howell/Burton

Let Owings and Fisher battle it out during ST. I'd like to have them both left in the club either in the Bigs or at triple a. Although it would be nice to have Owings's bat as a long-reliever.

Bench

Drew Sutton
Dickerson/Balentien
Hernandez/Molina/Miller
Dorn/Gomes
Janish

Kingspoint
09-28-2009, 11:21 PM

I see Roby's point, but I agree with you 100%.