PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce

BoilerBC11
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Why isn't Jay Bruce playing everyday?

I know that people on here are already off the "Jay Bruce Train." And this is probably the same crowd that was ready to Trade Homer Bailey for a bag of rocks. But for those of you that actually understand that 22 year olds take time to develop, can you make any sense of this?

He obviously has talent, and he has a good attitude/work ethic (he's not Delmon Young 2.0). So it seems to me that he just needs time to figure it out.

I think that pointless games in September would be the perfect time for this...

RedLakerFan24
09-24-2009, 03:18 PM
I Love bruce, i hate how people put players down, then when they are doing better they love them again, just like Homer Bailey, people hated him now they Love him, same thing with Bronson Arroyo, they hate him then the love him, i would still love to deal Arroyo to get some nice prospects back

RoundingThird
09-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Why isn't Jay Bruce playing everyday?

I know that people on here are already off the "Jay Bruce Train." And this is probably the same crowd that was ready to Trade Homer Bailey for a bag of rocks. But for those of you that actually understand that 22 year olds take time to develop, can you make any sense of this?

He obviously has talent, and he has a good attitude/work ethic (he's not Delmon Young 2.0). So it seems to me that he just needs time to figure it out.

I think that pointless games in September would be the perfect time for this...

Very well said, I agree!

Ghosts of 1990
09-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Because, our organization is a joke; in the biggest pitfall of any in MLB right now; and teams like the Reds make bad decisions like playing Darnell McDonald's, Wladimir Balentiens and even Willy Tavares' types over Jay Bruces. There is a reason we are always in 5th.

redhawk61
09-26-2009, 11:40 AM
We are in an evaluation period right now, as we have been for awhile, so they are trying to see what they have for next year by giving AB's to guys like Fransisco and Balentien, who both have a great deal of potential and could be our LF next year.

Red in Atl
09-26-2009, 02:16 PM
We are in an evaluation period right now, as we have been for awhile, so they are trying to see what they have for next year by giving AB's to guys like Fransisco and Balentien, who both have a great deal of potential and could be our LF next year.

That's good, and here's some more reasons:

1. We are out of the pennant race completely.
2. He is coming off of a major injury, and there's no reason to screw him up worse.
3. He was hitting .210 for the year, and every other outfielder that has played in his place has hit better (despite his power numbers)
4. It's only his second year in the majors, he has a lot to learn, sitting and watching is a good thing
5. He's not nearly as smart as Votto, so it's taking him a lot longer to learn his way

Amazing I know, that none of these reasons are that the front office is a joke. I love how people who aren't in the game in any manner always seem to know more than the guys who are there everyday. It's amazing that Jay Bruce is the superstar some think he is, and yet he can't hit a breaking ball consistently. Or a lefty.

PS: I'm not bashing the kid. He's actually one of my favorite Reds, but it gets a little old watching him swing at balls in the dirt. At some point he needs to "get it" to prove he deserves to play everyday.

Ghosts of 1990
09-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Bruce has had a nice couple of games the last 2 nights.

BoilerBC11
09-27-2009, 01:27 PM
5. He's not nearly as smart as Votto, so it's taking him a lot longer to learn his way

Unless you personally know both Votto and Bruce, or unless this was sarcasm, this may be the silliest thing I've ever read on this board. You do realize Jay Bruce is 22, and Votto is 26, right?

Amazing I know, that none of these reasons are that the front office is a joke. I love how people who aren't in the game in any manner always seem to know more than the guys who are there everyday. It's amazing that Jay Bruce is the superstar some think he is, and yet he can't hit a breaking ball consistently. Or a lefty.

But aren't pointless September games a good time to get him some reps? Maybe even work on his weaknesses?

Ohh and PS, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the reds front office has been a joke for the last ten years. Do I know as much about baseball as the front office? Probably not, but I have enough common sense to realize that we need to pick a year to contend and go for it. Stop half-heartedly trying to rebuild.

We have the pieces to make a good run in 2010-2015, and to do this we need Jay Bruce to be the guy that EVERY SCOUT thought he would eventually be.

Red in Atl
09-27-2009, 02:58 PM
:rolleyes: Dude, relax, I was talking about their knowledge of hitting, and I don't care about their age difference. Votto has 300 more ML at bats, and he is far advanced over Jay. Not saying Jay won't get there.

I'm saying maybe the people that run this team know a bit more than you. There is a very crowded outfield for next year, and Jay isn't the only question mark. There are 5 spots for about 10 guys. And half the board still wants us to trade for a big time LF'er. So maybe there are a few things they are trying to do this September to evaluate, besides give Jay Bruce some more at bats.

Ghosts of 1990
09-27-2009, 10:12 PM
No reason if he's healthy for Bruce not to be out there every night. Johnny Gomes, Darnell McDonald, fill in the blank won't be here in 2013 when we're "ready to compete"

texasdave
09-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Dusty Baker is a fool if he doesn't play Jay Bruce regularly in 2010.

Ghosts of 1990
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Dusty Baker is a fool if he doesn't play Jay Bruce regularly in 2010.

if thats the case i might need to find a new MLB team for the first time in my life

flash
09-28-2009, 09:56 PM
I can't believe some of these posts. Jay bruce must play every day no matter how bad he gets because he has to get experience. Personally I would rather win ballgames.

MacDonald is playing against lefthanders because he is hitting .347 against them with a .469 slg pct and over .400 OBP. You want to sit him down and give Bruce experience, fine. But I'd rather win ballgames.

Then there is the matter of Dickerson. Aside from Home runs and RBI's he has definitely had a better year. He batting average is 50 points higher, his OBP is 65 points higher. Even with Bruce's power advantage the OPS difference is only 7 points. Dickerson has a better range factor than Bruce although he has made one more error.

But then, of course, Dickerson could be the centerfielder. His numbers are better than Stubbs's also. For all the hoorah that has followed Stubbs I don't think he has ever batted .300 over an entire season. His OBP right now is only .306 which is not exactly great for a lead-off hitter.

I will give Bruce credit though. He did say something that was extremely intelligent. He said he wanted to be a hitter, not just a power hitter. Well, at least his thinking is right on.

Ghosts of 1990
09-29-2009, 09:04 AM
In his last 33 plate appearances since returning from the DL, Jay Bruce: .357/.455/.643 - 1.098 OPS., 2 HR, 3 doubles. He's drawing walks and is hitting the ball to the opposite field just like when he was first called up. An encouraging thing heading into 2010.

roby
09-29-2009, 10:59 AM
In his last 33 plate appearances since returning from the DL, Jay Bruce: .357/.455/.643 - 1.098 OPS., 2 HR, 3 doubles. He's drawing walks and is hitting the ball to the opposite field just like when he was first called up. An encouraging thing heading into 2010.

I agree. Bruce looks a lot better and will be fine. We are just going to have to have a little patience...he's still a baby.

tobttr
09-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I guess Bruce does have a world of talent (and let's not forget his defense, which is REAL good), but what I don't understand is the psyche of a young player. You always hear that you don't bring a kid along too fast because he'll be overmatched by big-league pitching and he'll lose confidence. But on the other hand the way to gain confidence is by having success, which you can't have if you're sitting on the bench.
This is why I'm not sure what the best course of action is right now.

Ghosts of 1990
09-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I guess Bruce does have a world of talent (and let's not forget his defense, which is REAL good), but what I don't understand is the psyche of a young player. You always hear that you don't bring a kid along too fast because he'll be overmatched by big-league pitching and he'll lose confidence. But on the other hand the way to gain confidence is by having success, which you can't have if you're sitting on the bench.
This is why I'm not sure what the best course of action is right now.

Take the Willie Mays approach with him.

Tell him for better or worse, if he does not get a hit all season; that he's your right fielder. This doesn't mean that you stop working with him and developing his game and fixing his weaknesses. Just give him a vote of confidence that he's going to be out there learning on the job regardless.

bounty37h
09-29-2009, 02:18 PM
No reason if he's healthy for Bruce not to be out there every night. Johnny Gomes, Darnell McDonald, fill in the blank won't be here in 2013 when we're "ready to compete"

maybe showcasing other guys for off season deals?

Ghosts of 1990
09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
I didn't see his three run bomb from tonight; but it was good to see that he is gonna equal his total from last year.

Ghosts of 1990
09-29-2009, 08:53 PM
and another

texasdave
09-29-2009, 09:57 PM
yeah we dont that bat in right field every day....let's platoon a future superstar.
Make him earn it, Dusty. I would submit that he has already earned it.

Ghosts of 1990
09-29-2009, 10:55 PM
yet we have that bum Taveras in center field taking away at bats from Stubbs.... THIS TIME OF YEAR! Stubbs has been one of the highest ranked players offensively in the majors over the past 15 days. Dusty deserves anything he gets in the way of criticism or lack of success.