TeamBoone
10-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Yikes! This is it for the game thread?

redsfandan
10-03-2009, 09:07 PM
It was a little late. lol

VR
10-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Chris' life will be complete when the Reds pull off a double squeeze bunt. The squeeze is #2 on his list of most exciting things about baseball, just ahead of the cycle. (How boring is that.....1 guy making no outs while producing 10 bases?)Not sure what #1 is for him.....perhaps the warm up throw down to 2nd being right on the bag?

The expectations just aren't as high as they used to be in the Queen city.

VR
10-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Stubbs is in clear control out there in center. Dominant.

WebScorpion
10-03-2009, 09:30 PM
It was a little late. lol
That's an understatement...the starting pitchers were gone before the thread started. :lol:

Still 7-4 after six and a half innings as Masset works out of a small jam. :thumbup:

VR
10-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Bruce's approach up there has just been fantastic since his return. Very smooth stroke for the single to left.

redsfandan
10-03-2009, 09:37 PM
St Louis lost again. They've now lost for the fifth time in six games since clinching the division, dropping to the third playoff seed ahead of only the wild-card winner, and will now start the playoffs on the road.

VR
10-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Rolen is freaky good. Headed to the bottom of 8......7-4

mbgrayson
10-03-2009, 09:49 PM
St Louis lost again. They've now lost for the fifth time in six games since clinching the division, dropping to the third playoff seed ahead of only the wild-card winner, and will now start the playoffs on the road.

At the rate they are going, their post-season could be over very quickly.....

redsfandan
10-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Homer by Votto

WebScorpion
10-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Homer by Votto

#25 for Joey puts the Reds up 8-4 after 8 complete.

Cordero in for the save.

redsfandan
10-03-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't think this is a save opportunity.

edit: unless, of course, Cordero decides to make things interesting again.

WebScorpion
10-03-2009, 09:59 PM
At the rate they are going, their post-season could be over very quickly.....

They seem to have a way of turning it on when they need it...I don't think they'll win it all, but I wouldn't count them out too fast. Carpenter and Wainwright are a really good 1-2.

VR
10-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Pujols....Mauer....Fielder.

These are the only players with higher OPS than Joey this year.

Impressive.

WebScorpion
10-03-2009, 10:01 PM

You're right, it's a 4 run lead.

Cordero gets them 1-2-3. And this one belongs to the REDS!!!

redsfandan
10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Good win. Hopefully they can finish the season with one more win on Sunday.

WebScorpion
10-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I'd love to see Homer finish the season off with a gem. :thumbup:

VR
10-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I'd love to see Homer finish the season off with a gem. :thumbup:

Hopefully they throw there "A" lineup out there as well.

redsfandan
10-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe have Bailey only throw 80 pitches and then have rubber-armed Arroyo throw an innning or two.

VR
10-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Maybe have Bailey only throw 80 pitches and then have rubber-armed Arroyo throw an innning or two.

rubber armed/ pine tar fingered.....

HeatherC1212
10-03-2009, 11:16 PM
The game was a lot of fun tonight although GABP is doubling as a refridgerator right now. :eek: It was DANGED cold there tonight! I had my jacket on by the second inning and my poor mom had her jacket on and fleece blanket around her by the third inning. I don't think it's really that cold outside but that wind was crazy downtown. :eek:

Anyway, the game was fun and it was great to see the offense come back again after they were about non existant last night. Joey had a great night at the plate which you all know makes me all sorts of happy, LOL ;) I had JUST said to my mom that Joey needed to hit another HR to beat his total from last year when he hit the first pitch he saw out for HR#25 in the eighth inning. He hardly ever smiles or shows emotion when he hits HRs so it was really awesome to see him relax and smile as he rounded the bases for this one. I bet he realized he beat his total from last year. :D Joey's double was bobbled in the field which is the only reason he started heading for third base on it but he got caught right between the bases so it was a matter of him being out at second or out at third. I guess he figured he'd be out at third, LOL :p:

For the other guys: Jay didn't start the game but looked good in his one at bat. Darnell McDonald continues to make his starts count by getting two hits tonight and 2 RBIs. Ramon looked good at the plate again (and threw out a runner) and Scott's HR was awesome because it helped give Cueto more of a lead in the game. Gomes didn't look good initially at the plate but laced a solid double in his third at bat. Brandon is trying WAY too hard to get hits and RBIs right now so hopefully he relaxes a bit tomorrow. Cueto didn't have all his good stuff tonight but he didn't pitch too horribly. The 3 run HR he gave up was unfortunate but he didn't do too bad overall for his last start of the year. I'm glad the guys got enough runs for him to get the win. :) I feel like the Pirates pitchers walked half the ballpark tonight and the one guy was dangerously close to walking Nick Massett which would have cracked me up. ;) Overall the Reds played a solid game tonight and hopefully that carries over to tomorrow's game. I'd LOVE to see the guys end the season with a win. Go Reds! :D

WVRedsFan
10-04-2009, 02:56 AM
I tried to start a game thread in the second inning, but apparently no one noticed or really cared and that's sad. Every game counts, even if you're out of it and a game thread is important in that it is history, even if it is not very important history in the whole scheme of things. I know moderators are volunteers, but I would think that someone in the group could check in and take care of this, but then again, what do I know? Like I said, volunteers have lives too.

The game was interesting in that the Reds continue to put runs on the board, which is encouraging. The question has to be asked. What happened that brought this team to begin scoring runs when nearly a whole season went by with the pitching being good enough and the offense sputtering? Simply this. The Reds spent most of 2010 depending on MLB retreads like Jerry Hairston, Jr., Alex Gonzales, and Willy Taveras to make things happen. Depending on wannabees like Edwin Ecarnacion didn't help either. The "brain trust" started with D. McDonald in the starting lineup and Johnny Gomes in AAA (nice he got into the game tonight). For some reason, someone got a clue and brought up Stubbs and traded for Rolen. All of a sudden a team racked with injuries began to score runs and win.

Give credit to Walt Jocketty. He did the unpopular thing and traded EdE and a valued prospect or two for Scott Rolen. He's made all the differene in the world in the example he gives as well as the way he plays the game. He finally got the roster in shape to the point that they could play well. Too late, for sure, but it appears he now is in charge when before it looked like Dusty was in charge. That's a big difference and one to watch as we head into 2010.

But caution is in order. Tongiht the Dude started Darnell again. Why? Oh yeah, he produced, as those kind of players will do in a short period of time while those who will be consistent will be better over time. Regardless, I think we've seen the beginning of the time when WJ will start to do the things needed to make this team a winner. Since the beginning of August, we've seen moves, while not blockbuster moves, that made the club better and made fans take notice...excwept it was too late for anyone to care.

The saddest day of the season is the last game and we face that tomorrow (or today as I look at the clock). I certainly hope Walt makes better use of the next 4 months than he did last year. I think he will.

Tony Cloninger
10-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I wish Balentin had been starting over DM.....but i will give DM credit for basically playing for his baseball life. This is that man's last chance to show he is capable of something and might have won himself a chance to be on someone ELSE'S roster next year. Not a bad guy to have stored in Triple A and for injuries.

Remember Jacob Brumfield? That is what i see with this guy. But i do not see him back on the 40 man here along with Nix.

_Sir_Charles_
10-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Even then, it wouldn't be. You can't create your own save opportunity, right?

BTW, I was at work all night, hence my absence from today's GT. I'm not missing the final game of the season though.

It was nice to see Cueto limit the runs considering his pretty poor control last night. Also nice to see the bats still have some pop in them. And I don't know why...but I simply LOVE seeing a squeeze play done right.

_Sir_Charles_
10-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Regarding Darnell McDonald, I know he's become a favorite for a whipping boy...but what exactly has this kid done wrong? The first 2 months of the season, he clearly struggled. .175 avg & .475 ops. So he got sent down. That's what SHOULD'VE happened. However, since he's come back up (mid August IIRC), he's been quite good. Certainly nothing worth slamming the guy for. In August he hit .385 with an ops of 1.198. In September, .298 with a .738 ops. I know it's small sample size and such, but who cares. He's produced since he's come back up, and on top of that he plays a very nice defensive outfield. IMO he's deserved to get some starts here and there.

mth123
10-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Regarding Darnell McDonald, I know he's become a favorite for a whipping boy...but what exactly has this kid done wrong? The first 2 months of the season, he clearly struggled. .175 avg & .475 ops. So he got sent down. That's what SHOULD'VE happened. However, since he's come back up (mid August IIRC), he's been quite good. Certainly nothing worth slamming the guy for. In August he hit .385 with an ops of 1.198. In September, .298 with a .738 ops. I know it's small sample size and such, but who cares. He's produced since he's come back up, and on top of that he plays a very nice defensive outfield. IMO he's deserved to get some starts here and there.

I don't think the slamming is aimed at McDonald as much as it is the manager. This team has been clearly aiming at 2010 and beyond and its what everyone wants the focus to be. McDonald served the exact purpose that he was signed for, which was to play in AAA and come to the big team should a rash of injuries require it. But once Stubbs was up, Bruce was back and guys like Gomes, Balentien, Nix, Dickerson, and Francisco in need of some PT Darnell and Willy needed to sit at the far end of the bench. I could see giving WT some time if only to try some last ditch effort at drumming up some interest in order to move his 2010 money. McDonald just is out of the plan now and any PT is only for his good and not in keeping with the team's goals. Hopefully he's earned a shot somewhere, I wish him well, but the big league team and even AAA are chock full of guys who should be in the OF ahead of him in 2010.

Scrap Irony
10-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Has McDonald produced since he's been called back up?

Sure.

That should mean Baker doesn't get slammed for it. But he's Teh Dust (or whatever other disparaging nickname can be found) so he will. Baker gets slammed enough for the stuff he does deserve.

This isn't one of them.

WVRedsFan
10-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't think the slamming is aimed at McDonald as much as it is the manager. This team has been clearly aiming at 2010 and beyond and its what everyone wants the focus to be. McDonald served the exact purpose that he was signed for, which was to play in AAA and come to the big team should a rash of injuries require it. But once Stubbs was up, Bruce was back and guys like Gomes, Balentien, Nix, Dickerson, and Francisco in need of some PT Darnell and Willy needed to sit at the far end of the bench. I could see giving WT some time if only to try some last ditch effort at drumming up some interest in order to move his 2010 money. McDonald just is out of the plan now and any PT is only for his good and not in keeping with the team's goals. Hopefully he's earned a shot somewhere, I wish him well, but the big league team and even AAA are chock full of guys who should be in the OF ahead of him in 2010.
Exactly. McDonald seems like a nice kid, but his future is somewhere else or in the minors and playing him now is simply more of what we've seen over these last nine seasons--playing players with no future or players who don't have any track record in hopes they can get by on the cheap with a career season or a fluke of a year. It doesn't work. As mth says, the future of the franchise is NOT Darnell McDonald. And playing him is simply stupid IFyou're looking toward the future.