PDA

View Full Version : The fix is in. Yankees will win.

flash
10-22-2009, 08:56 AM
I really haven't paid to much attention to the post-season, but everytime I do divert my attention to it the yankkees seem to been getting another break from the umpires.

Examples:

Joe Mauer hits a ball that is a clearly fair ground rule double, but the ump blows to call. Of course, he would not have scored late the analysts saybecause he did hit a single later and did not score.

Mariano Rivera is captured on video doctoring the ball, but the umps don't see it so it's a-okay. Yanks win.

Angel catcher tags two Yankees out at third, but the ump says I thought one of them was on base. Of course it didn't affect the outcome of the game because neither scored the analysts say. Yankees win again.

Angel SS or 2b man (I don't know which is said to be off bag on a double play so it is not a double play. So the 3B umpire is blind for the Yankees and the 2B umpire sees all for the Yankees.

Guess i'm not missing much. MLB has already decided the Yankees will win. Why are they even saelling tickets to this canrnival?

Ghosts of 1990
10-22-2009, 09:32 AM
The fix is also in because they're really, really deep and very very good. That lineup is pretty sick and full of guys who rake in the clutch. Their rotation is great, they've got a bunch of guys out of the bully who throw gas. Their experience is superior to nearly everyone they face, of course I think Philadelphia will be a nice matchup to give us the best World Series.

Now, the means they went about assembling their roster is a little unfair; but thats a whole other issue.

Red in Atl
10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=JayBruce32;1985888]The fix is also in because they're really, really deep and very very good. That lineup is pretty sick and full of guys who rake in the clutch. Their rotation is great, they've got a bunch of guys out of the bully who throw gas. Their experience is superior to nearly everyone they face...[QUOTE]

Sounds like the 1990 Oakland A's. Man were they good. Didn't they like sweep everyone they played in the playoffs? ;)

will5979
10-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Sorry but I;m cheering for the evil empire in the series. Don't want Philly taking distinction away from the BRM...and I like these Phillies, so its fine they win it NEXT year but not this year.

will5979
10-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Sounds like the 1990 Oakland A's. Man were they good. Didn't they like sweep everyone they played in the playoffs? ;)

:laugh::beerme::jump::rockband::dancingco:bowrofl: :drink::owned::KoolAid:

If you'll remember a sweep was predicted in that series.

texasdave
10-22-2009, 01:47 PM
The fix is in because they have and spend the most money. Oops, that's right. The size of the payroll is irrelevant. I keep forgetting. My bad.

Just a couple quick facts from Cot's Major League Salaries website.

Out of the 8 teams that spent the most money on team salaries, 6 made the playoffs this season.
The average team salary of the teams making the playoffs was $122.8 million. This is 34.7% higher than the overall average team salary of $91.2 million. It is also a staggering 54.2% higher than the average team salary of the teams that did not make the playoffs. Of the two remaining playoff teams the Cardinals spent just more than the team salary average at $94.5 million. Only Colorado spent below the team salary average shelling out a miserly $74.7 million. I suppose that is your proof that team salary does not matter. And let's just wait and see how long it is until the richer teams start plucking the prize players from the Rockies roster.

Red in Atl
10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Baseball just doesn't get it. That's the reason the NFL is kicking their butts, and it will continue to until the baseball world realizes that their are more than 4 cities in the country.

I was thinking about this as the Reds season was winding down. But I am almost starting to think that a first half winner and a second half winner would be more interesting than the current set up. This idea screwed us in '94, but the Reds had the best record in baseball the last month and a half. They couldn't have played much worse than the Cardinals did. Or the Twins. Or the Red Sox.

FlyerFanatic
10-22-2009, 03:59 PM
anyone calling for any sort of change like instant replay or salary caps are barking up the wrong tree. selig isnt going to change any of that while commish. i still cant believe he left the all star game a tie, ridiculous

mdccclxix
10-22-2009, 10:25 PM
The fix is in because they have and spend the most money. Oops, that's right. The size of the payroll is irrelevant. I keep forgetting. My bad.

Just a couple quick facts from Cot's Major League Salaries website.

Out of the 8 teams that spent the most money on team salaries, 6 made the playoffs this season.
The average team salary of the teams making the playoffs was $122.8 million. This is 34.7% higher than the overall average team salary of $91.2 million. It is also a staggering 54.2% higher than the average team salary of the teams that did not make the playoffs. Of the two remaining playoff teams the Cardinals spent just more than the team salary average at $94.5 million. Only Colorado spent below the team salary average shelling out a miserly $74.7 million. I suppose that is your proof that team salary does not matter. And let's just wait and see how long it is until the richer teams start plucking the prize players from the Rockies roster.

80 million is the line right now. If you can't spend 80 million you're a schmuck. You're also a schmuck if you can figure out how to spend 100 million and totally whiff the playoffs. The Reds and others need to land 2-3 mvp caliber players from within their organization and do it within 2-3 years of one another. That's the game for the have-nots. I wish Bud knew this.

texasdave
10-24-2009, 05:54 PM
When you see two runners, both of whom were clearly off the bag, tagged out. And yet only one out was called, you start to wonder. My wife, who (like me) knows almost nothing about baseball, knew both were out.

redlegs2370
10-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Angels have momentum and will beat the Yankees. Yankees rely to much on the HR ball to win a world series much less an ALCS.

mdccclxix
10-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Angels have momentum and will beat the Yankees. Yankees rely to much on the HR ball to win a world series much less an ALCS.

Kazmir just threw that momentum over the 1st baseman's head. :thumbdown

Mutaman
10-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Very dismal effort by the Angels: Horrible relief pitching (How do you throw that pitch to A-Rod on 0-2 in game 2) terrible base running, Booby Abreu the softest .300 hitter ever, Chone Figgins never showed up, they go flat in cold weather and not to forget, weak managing by Socia.

It's hard enough to beat the Yankees what with their pay roll, the ghosts, and the calls that always seem to go in their favor, but based on past history I expected a better effort from the west coast guys.

Vottomatic
10-26-2009, 09:42 AM
The Yankees represent everything that is wrong in MLB. I hope they lose.

I could spend $200M better than they did. But they can afford to make payroll mistakes, unlike the Reds.

will5979
10-28-2009, 10:56 AM
The Yankees represent everything that is wrong in MLB. I hope they lose.

I could spend $200M better than they did. But they can afford to make payroll mistakes, unlike the Reds.

Sorry but if Philly wins they become the new NL back to back winners. As of right now, the Reds are, screw em' they can win it next year. Besides the Yanks have so many what is one more going to matter? Plus if they win they tie the freakin Red Sox for number of titles this decade. I hate the Red Sox with a passion!

Vottomatic
10-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I hate the Yankees more.

will5979
10-29-2009, 07:55 AM
I hate the Yankees more.

Does everyone have a reason to hate the Yankees? They don't even play in our league. Last time we played them in the series we SWEPT them. Why is it that everyone hates them? Because they spend money? Well, they aren't breaking any rules, MLB has allowed this to happen, don't hate the Yankees for doing something that MLB allows them to do, hate Bud Selig and MLB.

Someone please contact Joeboo and put a voodoo curse on the Phillies! I don't want the few Reds bragging rights I have left to be ruined by a team that just happens to be lucky enough to win 2 back to back NL pennants. They should be no comparisions to the BRM by these Phils, have they dominated this whole damn decade, NO, just 2 or 3 years.

The BRM would destroy any of these teams in the postseason. The Yankees might beat them in one game but thats it!

bounty37h
10-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Does everyone have a reason to hate the Yankees? They don't even play in our league. Last time we played them in the series we SWEPT them. Why is it that everyone hates them? Because they spend money? Well, they aren't breaking any rules, MLB has allowed this to happen, don't hate the Yankees for doing something that MLB allows them to do, hate Bud Selig and MLB.

Someone please contact Joeboo and put a voodoo curse on the Phillies! I don't want the few Reds bragging rights I have left to be ruined by a team that just happens to be lucky enough to win 2 back to back NL pennants. They should be no comparisions to the BRM by these Phils, have they dominated this whole damn decade, NO, just 2 or 3 years.

The BRM would destroy any of these teams in the postseason. The Yankees might beat them in one game but thats it!

I dislike the Yankee's, but only really hate the fans-I at least respect the history and tradition of the Yanks. I guess I see what your saying about the Phils, and the Reds b2b, but to be honest about it that was so long ago I hate thats the last thing we have to brag about, so dont even care about that anymore to root against the Phils for that reason.

DTCromer
10-30-2009, 08:40 AM

Everyone hates the Yankees because what they spend/make too much money. Apparently, it's unfair even though MLB allows for this to happen. Even though much smaller market teams like the Cardinals, Marlins, Diamondbacks, White Sox, Rays, and Rockies have all either made or won a World Series, it's unfair.

freestyle55
11-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Who'da thunk $400 million and some roid freaks would've bought you a WS title...

Redsfan320
11-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Who'da thunk $400 million and some roid freaks would've bought you a WS title...

Yeah, unfortunately, that's all it really takes.:(:thumbdown

Jefferson24
11-05-2009, 11:12 AM
They should handicap teams based on the payroll. The Reds ought to start the season with 15 wins already in the win column. The Yankees should start with 20 losses.

Redsfan320
11-05-2009, 11:21 AM
They should handicap teams based on the payroll. The Reds ought to start the season with 15 wins already in the win column. The Yankees should start with 20 losses.

:jump:
LOL, I love that suggestion. It would even things up a bit. Yanks would still probabaly win the WS.:(

texasdave
11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Wow. That was a shocker. The Yankees go out and and Mark Texeira and CC Sabathia and won it all. I'll bet nobody saw that coming.

Redsfan320
11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Honestly, I thought the Phillies had a good chance. They have some great players (obviously the Yanks do to), and a title to defend. Unfortunately, however, even though the series did end up 4-2, the Yankees :evil: :barf: seemed to dominate the whole way through.:bang::cry::bang::cry::bang:

Vottomatic
11-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Yankees spent $67M more than the next highest spending team. Over $200M.

It's out of hand and ridiculous. Although I find satisfaction in the fact they haven't really done much most other years while overspending.

The yahoo blog is hilarious. Haters ripping New York saying they bought the title. New Yorkers acting like they're the greatest team ever and it's not their fault that other teams don't spend like they do. Seriously. OTHER TEAMS CAN'T SPEND $200M, much less $150M or $120M. Maybe Boston, Mets, Cubs, and a couple of others, but that's it. Yankees fans live in fantasyland. Might as well start their own league of like 6 or 8 teams that can spend that much, and then the rest of the league should defect to a new league.

Redsfan320
11-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Yankees fans live in fantasyland.

Yes they do.:barf:

Might as well start their own league of like 6 or 8 teams that can spend that much, and then the rest of the league should defect to a new league.

I don't think you meant it seriously, however, this is actually an interesting idea. Not sure if it would work out, but if so it would make things more fair for the Reds and all other small market teams. I can't think of any small-market teams who somehow benefit off of a big-market team in their division, local area, etc.

will5979
11-06-2009, 07:52 AM
New Yorkers acting like they're the greatest team ever

Sorry to burst your bubble there buddy, but after 27 WS titles I believe they ARE the greatest franchise ever.

At least they kept the BRMs bragging rights in tact.