PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Acta hire

Redleg39
10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
The indians have named Manny Acta their next manager according to Tim Kurkjian. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4593663 I was wondering what everybody thinks about the hire.

texasdave
10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
All I have to say is that Manny Acta must be one of the best interviewers in the game today. He was one of the finalists down here in Houston as well. I know he didn't have much help in D.C., but his record was horrendous. His team's winning percentage was trending severely downwards with him at the helm.

2007 - .451
2008 - .366
2009 - .299

He had his team on pace to win the staggeringly low total of 48 games before he was relieved of duty. You wouldn't think those sorts of numbers would look good on a resume. His replacement, Jim Riggleman, coaxed a .440 winning percentage out of that same team. That dead cat really bounced for him.

But I am certain Acta relates well with today's player and blah blah blah.

So mark me down as saying I think this is a great hire for the Indians. And I hope they lose 100 games next season. And every season thereafter for all eternity.

Ghosts of 1990
10-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I think it's a terrible hire. Look up Manny Acta's career sub .370 winning percentage. I think at best you're looking at .500 in Cleveland. they went cheap. There's no way Mattingly/Bobby Valentine weren't better options.

texasdave
10-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I think it's a terrible hire. Look up Manny Acta's career sub .370 winning percentage. I think at best you're looking at .500 in Cleveland. they went cheap. There's no way Mattingly/Bobby Valentine weren't better options.

Yes, but he once was heard using the word sabermetrics (not to be confused with Bakermetrics) and that alone places him in the top five managers in the majors.

SidneySlicker
10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
All I have to say is that Manny Acta must be one of the best interviewers in the game today. He was one of the finalists down here in Houston as well. I know he didn't have much help in D.C., but his record was horrendous. His team's winning percentage was trending severely downwards with him at the helm.

2007 - .451
2008 - .366
2009 - .299

He had his team on pace to win the staggeringly low total of 48 games before he was relieved of duty. You wouldn't think those sorts of numbers would look good on a resume. His replacement, Jim Riggleman, coaxed a .440 winning percentage out of that same team. That dead cat really bounced for him.

But I am certain Acta relates well with today's player and blah blah blah.

So mark me down as saying I think this is a great hire for the Indians. And I hope they lose 100 games next season. And every season thereafter for all eternity.

Yes, but now he'll have more to work with than just Cincinnati Reds retreads. ;)