PDA

View Full Version : Fay thinks Willy gets DFA

DannyB
10-28-2009, 10:48 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2009/10/28/q-a-day-2/

Question from Steve: My question is about the Reds’ current view of Willy Taveras. Do you think they will let him come to spring training and try to win the job from Drew Stubbs and Chris Dickerson, or do you think the Reds will try to move him in the offseason? Do you perceive a split between the way Dusty Baker and Walt Jocketty view Taveras? My sense, from afar, is that as long as WT is around, Baker will play him too much. I’m not naive in thinking the Reds could get anything back for Taveras. They would have to trade him, along with paying part of his salary to interest any team. But my feeling (hope) is that is what they will do, just to take the controversy and temptation away.

Answer: I think Taveras was Jocketty’s guy. But Baker loves the idea of speed at the top of lineup. I don’t think anyone thought Taveras would hit as little as he did or be as rough defensively. I think they would trade in a second if they could. But his $4 million salary makes that difficult. The center field job is Drew Stubbs’ to lose. The problem with Taveras is he doesn’t fit as a bench player. He has no power. He only plays center. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him designated for assignment.

I can see it,the replacements are better and a fraction of the salary.

will5979
10-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Please God let it be true! :help:

Alpha Zero
10-29-2009, 08:07 AM
If the Reds don't think that Taveras will contribute, then there's simply no logical reason not to DFA the guy. He's taking up a roster spot that could be used to protect an extra prospect from the Rule 5 draft, so there's no excuse to bring the guy back to languish on the bench other than the tired "we're already paying him" routine.

bounty37h
10-29-2009, 10:36 AM
I say just take his uniform away and make him clean the dugouts, locker room, etc since he is already getting paid. At least make him do something to partially earn the money he is robbing us of instead of just DFA'ing hm and letting him sit back at home banking for nothing.

Red in Atl
10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Dfa! Dfa! Dfa!

Free willy

Ghosts of 1990
10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Two things:

1) Reds have made a pattern of not making the easy call or the easy move. Willy will stay.

2) How do you send fay a question? I can't find his email.

Girevik
10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
I can see it,the replacements are better and a fraction of the salary.

Problem is, they have to pay his salary and the fraction for the replacement. If this was football and they could cut him and not be on the hook for his salary, he'd be gone in a heartbeat. As it is, I'd be a little surprised to see him cut loose.

Old NDN
10-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Addition by subtraction. Getting rid of a useless player that's taking playing time/roster spot from someone else. I know they're on the hook for the rest of his salary, but that wouldn't be the worst decision the Reds have made. IMO, I wouldn't keep him just because he's owed money. Then again, it's not my $$.

roby
10-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Addition by subtraction. Getting rid of a useless player that's taking playing time/roster spot from someone else. I know they're on the hook for the rest of his salary, but that wouldn't be the worst decision the Reds have made. IMO, I wouldn't keep him just because he's owed money. Then again, it's not my $$.

The only thing worse than having to pay WT $4million this year, is to have to pay him $4 million [U]and[U] watch him play. Cut him, puh-lease!

DannyB
10-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Problem is, they have to pay his salary and the fraction for the replacement. If this was football and they could cut him and not be on the hook for his salary, he'd be gone in a heartbeat. As it is, I'd be a little surprised to see him cut loose.

Right, but the Reds will pay him the $4 mil no matter what. Stubbs is at the minimum and Dickerson will probably make the 25 anyway.So if he is DFA it costs the team the same.

DannyB
10-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Two things:

1) Reds have made a pattern of not making the easy call or the easy move. Willy will stay.

2) How do you send fay a question? I can't find his email.

jfay@enquirer.com

texasdave
10-29-2009, 04:58 PM
If I was the Reds' GM I would trade WT and pay all but the league minimum of his salary. You get a prospect, open a spot on the 40 man and pay Drew Stubb's salary for 2010. It would cost the other team only the league minimum and a prospect. Someone would likely bite at that offer. Jocketty can't be the only GM that has read Bakermetrics, can he?

Article III - Fast cannot be taught. Always acquire fast, especially at the league minimum.

PS I dont know if there are any league stipulations on how much of a contract you can pay for and if there are any stipulations what they might entail.

BigPoppa
10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
If I was the Reds' GM I would trade WT and pay all but the league minimum of his salary. You get a prospect, open a spot on the 40 man and pay Drew Stubb's salary for 2010. It would cost the other team only the league minimum and a prospect. Someone would likely bite at that offer. Jocketty can't be the only GM that has read Bakermetrics, can he?

Article III - Fast cannot be taught. Always acquire fast, especially at the league minimum.

:thumbup:

Walt, you listening ?

CesarGeronimo
10-29-2009, 06:47 PM

PS I dont know if there are any league stipulations on how much of a contract you can pay for and if there are any stipulations what they might entail.

This is a case where they should actually try to trade the player to another team in the same division. That way you get a prospect and you get to pitch to Willy more often. It's a double-return on that $4 million.

vottofan4life
10-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Going off topic here i think you can go out and trade 1 of cordero,harang, or arroyo over to the nationals for willingham and guzman

trade willy taveras and lincoln for john buck and cash

roby
10-29-2009, 11:53 PM
This is a case where they should actually try to trade the player to another team in the same division. That way you get a prospect and you get to pitch to Willy more often. It's a double-return on that $4 million.

That sounds good, but i remember a couple of years ago we were at a game where Taveras ate the Reds alive. Just send him anywhere you can.

Vottomatic
10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Are we allowed to post YouTube videos? I don't want to get in trouble with the mods.

DannyB
10-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Are we allowed to post YouTube videos? I don't want to get in trouble with the mods.

Sure post the link.
If you get any crap send them to me :devil:

Vottomatic
10-31-2009, 03:51 AM
Sure post the link.
If you get any crap send them to me :devil:

I was simply going to post a clip that has the Michael Jackson "Free Willy" song. That's all. I thought it was appropriate with the talk of "freeing" Willy Tavares. :D

Redsfan320
11-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I so badly hope they get rid of Willy. And if they dont (which is possible with the current ownership), at least don't keep one of the worst OBPs in the league batting LEADOFF:eek:

Kingspoint
11-04-2009, 06:48 PM
I don’t think anyone thought Taveras would hit as little as he did or be as rough defensively.

Only 3/4th's of REDSZONE did. But, what do we know. We're just stupid fans.