PDA

View Full Version : question about the the ole ball park

lidspinner
10-30-2009, 08:55 AM
I was talking to a guy in the Reds sales dept......he does work to help bring out more fans, I have no idea what he does and cannot even think of his name, I met him at BW3's, I was decked out in reds gear watching a football game and that got the conversation started.....he might be a sewer cleaner for all I know. He seemed legit.....anyway, he says he is looking for ways to improve fan attendance at the stadium, my immediate response was "put a MLB team on the diamond and they will come"....I laughed, he frowned and we carried on. I told him to check this site, I would put a post and he could get some idea's from here. since its so slow here, I thought we might get some good responses.

SOOOOO, what would you like to see at the park? hundreds of gold star booths? more ice cream? cheerleaders selling beer?

not sure if dude will even log on here, but he said he would be checking it out and for what its worth, he already was well aware of this site.

bounty37h
10-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I have to agree with your thought, a winning team needs to come before any gimmicks.

redsfanmia
10-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I want male and female cheerleaders, loud music between innings, t-shirt cannons, another mascot, kiss cams, chicken dance's, more radio and television broadcasters and Willy Tavares leading off and playing centerfield every game he is healthy.

DannyB
10-30-2009, 10:43 PM
They will never draw the fans they need as long as most home games are on tv.

Ghosts of 1990
10-31-2009, 08:44 AM
I have to agree with your thought, a winning team needs to come before any gimmicks.

This is the single-most important thing. Bottom line is that people aren't going to come out for gimmicks, at least not in flocks. You can't do a bobblehead every night. At some point you've got to just spend money on big time players or exciting young players and that will bring people out at the highest most consistent volume.

As far as what your friend could bring to the table idea-wise.... more skylines and penn stations (full restaurants)

Moosie52
10-31-2009, 10:27 AM
They will never draw the fans they need as long as most home games are on tv.

Stomp out this thinking immediately. You want them to stop televising games? Fine. Nobody outside of the city limits will give a rat's about the Reds ever again if they do that. The Reds don't exist in a vacuum. They are in competition with every other baseball, football, basketball and hockey team for fans. People want to see the games on television. Limiting the number of games shown on TV won't increase the gate. It will just limit the number of fans in the market. Instead, you should start advocating for a salary cap that will give teams like the Reds a chance to compete with the big spenders and win more games, which will pull more people into the ballpark.

BurgervilleBuck
10-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Y'know, I think dollar hot dog nights would really pack the stadium.:thumbup:

redsfanfalcon
10-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Y'know, I think dollar hot dog nights would really pack the stadium.:thumbup:

They already have 2 $1 hot dog stands, but they could expand on that and have more. I think that may help...a bit.

BurgervilleBuck
11-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Twas sarcasm, friend.

goreds2
11-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Signing one starting 8 five star free agent would bring in fans.

redsfanfalcon
11-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Twas sarcasm, friend.

Sorry...I guess I am used to taking people literally these days...guess that's what happens when you are around a 3 year old all the time.

bounty37h
11-02-2009, 09:54 AM
This is the single-most important thing. Bottom line is that people aren't going to come out for gimmicks, at least not in flocks. You can't do a bobblehead every night. At some point you've got to just spend money on big time players or exciting young players and that will bring people out at the highest most consistent volume.

As far as what your friend could bring to the table idea-wise.... more skylines and penn stations (full restaurants)

Sadly, they probably see it the opposite way, the bobblehead and giveaway nights are the ONLY nights they do well at the gates-but thats more due to the product. Get a good team, you dont need to do bobbleheads every night to draw fans.

goreds2
11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I was talking to a guy in the Reds sales dept......he does work to help bring out more fans, I have no idea what he does and cannot even think of his name, I met him at BW3's, I was decked out in reds gear watching a football game and that got the conversation started.....he might be a sewer cleaner for all I know. He seemed legit.....anyway, he says he is looking for ways to improve fan attendance at the stadium, my immediate response was "put a MLB team on the diamond and they will come"....I laughed, he frowned and we carried on. I told him to check this site, I would put a post and he could get some idea's from here. since its so slow here, I thought we might get some good responses. SOOOOO, what would you like to see at the park? hundreds of gold star booths? more ice cream? cheerleaders selling beer?

not sure if dude will even log on here, but he said he would be checking it out and for what its worth, he already was well aware of this site.

With the thread title you named this, I am sure he will be able to navigate here and find his answer quickly. ;)

Anyway, I think lowering ticket prices Monday-Thursday could bring more fans and even non fans to the stadium.

redsfanfalcon
11-03-2009, 09:05 PM
With the thread title you named this, I am sure he will be able to navigate here and find his answer quickly. ;)

Anyway, I think lowering ticket prices Monday-Thursday could bring more fans and even non fans to the stadium.

I think this is an excellent idea, especially against the Pirates.

flash
11-04-2009, 08:26 AM
I think local communitiy nights would help, but it might hinder game preparation. Let me explain:

Have double headers in April and May with two local high school teams playing the first game. Have one of the school's bands play the national anthem on the field before the and maybe the other take the seventh inning stretch. A lot of people will come out to see their children perform. While they're at it, bring the cheerleaders too. You could even have some softball/ baseball doubleheaders, but it might be difficult.

The big thing would be pushing sales in the school and sharing some of the revenue with the schools. Say for 10 bucks students teachers and parents get in, get a hot dog, soda, bag of peanuts,(or sunflower seeds) and a cookie. try to get elementary teachers to bring in their classes with the parents. Like I said a community event.

Redsfan320
11-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Yeah, prettymuch. If they can put a winning(contending:pray:) team on the field, the fans will come.

flash
11-05-2009, 08:00 AM
While I agree that the overall emphasis should be on a winning team I do think that the community/ school/ family idea would work. You could put the 76 Reds on the field on a April or May weeknight and still have a lot of empty seats to fill. That is one area the Reds could target.

Redsfan320
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I suppose a few more gimmiks may not be a bad idea, however the FIRST priority should be to put out a winning team, something they've failed to do the past 10 years.

Jefferson24
11-05-2009, 11:07 AM
It all starts with winning. Not too many organizations have filled the seats to see a loser.

Redsfan320
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Maybe they could even take away some from their current free give-aways program, and put that toward better players, coaches, manager, front office, etc.

flash
11-05-2009, 02:26 PM
As I said before in order to have people come the Reds need to put a winning product on the field. I think there is also a need however to get families to the park, especially fathers and sons. If there are any gimmicks they ought to be directed there. The boys who will someday be men need to get interested at an early age. I think the kid glove game of year's past was a great idea, but I doubt it would work now.

I also wouldn't have a bunch of gimmicks in the summer. Winning needs to draw the fans from June through September. But a few hooks in April and May especially on weeknights wouldn't hurt. The Reds have 14 home games on week nights in April and May. That is 16% of all home games. Increase attendance at those games with gimmicks.

thorn
11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Do what ever the Dayton Dragons are doing, becuase it aint about winning there.

Redsfan320
11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree with flash about getting more families in the park. Additionally, it does seem that Dayton does great drawing fans. I would love to go sometime next season. Any tips?:wave: