PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Yankees

will5979
11-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Before I get hate posts/mail and death threats...

Let me explain by saying this has to do with the preservation of the history of the Cincinnati Reds being the dominated and premiere franchise of the NL (based upon history of course).

In the summer of 1996 between my jr. and sr. year of high school I was following an up and down summer of Reds baseball, hoping and praying they could repeat as NL Central champions. Due to the fact that the Reds owners were cheap and flat out refuse to resign Ron Gant (Cardinals) and David Wells (Yankees I think) the Reds were destined to finish in the middle of the pack that year and that is what they did...81-81.

Also growing up in Reds country in southern WV you always had a lot of support from fellow Reds fans, EXCEPT the idiots I attended school with that were the biggest tool ******bags that God ever put breath into...i.e. they were on board with whatever trends were "in" at the time. These same morons were A's fans in the late 80s early 90s (my best friend and I had a field day on those morons in the winter of 1990!) then they morphed into Braves fans mid 90s (wished I could have given them more hell after the 95 NLCS but the Reds blew that one), now the few that I run into every once in a while has morphed into Red Sox fans...what losers. The funny part is they never jumped on to the Yankee bandwagon, they hated them for beating the Braves throughout the 90s.

However, I noticed that since my Reds were not going to make the playoffs there was one team that could take down the hicks from Atlanta, Georgia. That summer my father and I predicted to one another that when the Yankees picked up Darryl Strawberry that they would win the World Series. We liked the fact that Steinbrenner was taking a big chance on has beens and ex-Mets of the 1980s (Strawberry, Gooden, Cone); they all turned out to pay huge dividends for the Yanks. They also had one of our favorite ex-Reds in Paul O'Neill, I also want to say they had Mariano Duncan but I could be wrong on that one.

To make a long story short that 1996 Yankees team made me an AL Yankee postseason fan...meaning I only root for the Yanks in the postseason, and if they were to face the Reds I would hate the Yankees along with the rest of you.

Also this team has kept down many teams that I hate and despise. That is why I appreciate them.

1. The Braves-prevented them from winning back-to-back crowns in 95-96 and also defeated them in the 99 series which gives me more bragging rights. When a Brave fan tells me about their team being the team of the 90s I respond with my team won just as many titles as yours did in the 90s! 2 reasons to thank the Yankees!

2. The Red Sox-I despise these little ******bags that don't even watch baseball walking around with Red Sox hats on, or the ones that claim to be a baseball fan and choose this as their team.

3. The Cleveland Indians-all the times they (the Yankees) kept the Indians out of the World Series.

4. The Oakland A's-see number 3.

5. The Chicago Cubs-I'm sure the Yankees would have defeated them IF the Cubs would have won NLCS game 6 in 2003. I laughed my butt off that night when their fans were bawling and crying after the Marlins came back to win that game. Yes I know I am evil when it comes to the baseball teams I hate.

And finally the two times they have preserved the Reds as the last dominated NL franchise team for winning back to back crowns 75-76. Braves almost had it in 96, but they blew 3 straight down in hickville only to lose game 6 in NY! The Phillies thought they had a chance with Pedro, only lose game 6 this year! Now I don't hate the Phillies, I rooted for them last year and if they are in the series next year I will root for them again...I just didn't want them to take away some of the last dominate bragging rights us Reds fans have!

bounty37h
11-09-2009, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=will5979;1989921]Before I get hate posts/mail and death threats...

Let me explain by saying this has to do with the preservation of the history of the Cincinnati Reds being the dominated and premiere franchise of the NL (based upon history of course).

Typo :)
I gotta say I was surprised by your age revealing in this post, I have figured you were much older from past posts.

will5979
11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=will5979;1989921]Before I get hate posts/mail and death threats...

Typo :)
I gotta say I was surprised by your age revealing in this post, I have figured you were much older from past posts.

Crap, I always leave a mistake and I don't really have time to proofread...I am 30 but I know my crap about Reds/Baseball history. MY uncle recently showed me his baseball room and he had at least 25 pictures of HOFers. He asked how many I could name...got them all except one. Then I cussed him out cause he had all these baseball greats on his wall but no Pete Rose, no Johnny Bench. I sad come on man I realize you are not a Reds fan but how can you leave out the all time hits leader and the greatest catcher of all time?

HalMorrisRules
11-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Most people that know me know I am Reds/baseball crazy and would ask me who I wanted to win the series. I said I hated the Yankees and never want them to win anything but if the Phillies won, it would mean the Reds of the 70's would lose the distinction of being the last NL team to repeat. So, I am/was in total agreement with you.

bounty37h
11-09-2009, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=bounty37h;1990763]

Crap, I always leave a mistake and I don't really have time to proofread...I am 30 but I know my crap about Reds/Baseball history. MY uncle recently showed me his baseball room and he had at least 25 pictures of HOFers. He asked how many I could name...got them all except one. Then I cussed him out cause he had all these baseball greats on his wall but no Pete Rose, no Johnny Bench. I sad come on man I realize you are not a Reds fan but how can you leave out the all time hits leader and the greatest catcher of all time?

Haha, no problem, Freudian slip perhaps. I can see your point, and there was a time I would have been fully on board with you; but after so many losing seasns now, I dont care, I just want a winning team now to enjoy, not a 30 year old event being out highlight effort.

Vottomatic
11-09-2009, 05:24 PM
It will be even more hilarious when the Yankees sign Matt Holliday and maybe Pujols in the offseason, and trade for Cliff Lee. I'll be laughing hysterically.

Redsfan320
11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
It will be even more hilarious when the Yankees sign Matt Holliday and maybe Pujols in the offseason, and trade for Cliff Lee. I'll be laughing hysterically.

No. No. And No. This cannot and will not happen. In all honesty, I truly don't think the Yankees will do any of these things.

will5979
11-10-2009, 07:52 AM
No. No. And No. This cannot and will not happen. In all honesty, I truly don't think the Yankees will do any of these things.

I know you are probably just being hypothetical but Pujols over Texeria? And do they really even need those other guys?

Now I would rather have Pujols than Texeria but after that multi-million dollar deal they won't go after the best in the game...unless of course Pujols wants to become a DH.

If Pujols is available maybe Jocketty should sign him and move Votto to left? Can't happen but its nice to dream...I just want 82 wins next year, is that really too much to ask? Anything after that is a bonus, playoffs would give me a heartattack!

DTCromer
11-10-2009, 07:53 AM

What would be wrong with that if they did?

will5979
11-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Most people that know me know I am Reds/baseball crazy and would ask me who I wanted to win the series. I said I hated the Yankees and never want them to win anything but if the Phillies won, it would mean the Reds of the 70's would lose the distinction of being the last NL team to repeat. So, I am/was in total agreement with you.

Cool man...trust me, if you grew up with the d0ucheb@g tools that I did you wouldn't hate the Yankees either...they were the one team that kept down all of those others that they rooted for, especially the Braves...haha!

Obviously I will never get over my ongoing hatred of the Atlanta Braves. The 1995 NLCS has given me issues over the years!

Redsfan320
11-10-2009, 08:55 AM
I know you are probably just being hypothetical but Pujols over Texeria? And do they really even need those other guys?

Now I would rather have Pujols than Texeria but after that multi-million dollar deal they won't go after the best in the game...unless of course Pujols wants to become a DH.

If Pujols is available maybe Jocketty should sign him and move Votto to left? Can't happen but its nice to dream...I just want 82 wins next year, is that really too much to ask? Anything after that is a bonus, playoffs would give me a heartattack!

Nice post. I really doubt Pujols wants to DH.

Vottomatic
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I was joking. Just egging on the "Yankees buying the World Championship" by signing all the best players mantra.

Redsfan320
11-10-2009, 12:26 PM
LOL, so was I (joking I mean).

texasdave
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I was joking. Just egging on the "Yankees buying the World Championship" by signing all the best players mantra.

Because there isn't a grain of truth to it, is there?