PDA

View Full Version : Gomes Non Tendered

GIDP
12-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Pretty sad when this team can't even tender him a contract.

I dont want to act like Gomes was the best player on the team or anything but it's getting kinda hard to be a fan lately. Its gotten so bad that we can't even tender a contract that might pay a couple million to a guy who hit with an .875 OPS the year before.

You really have to wonder where the teams priorities lie when they choose to let Gomes go and choose to bring back Ramon Hernandez for 3 million.

Alpha Zero
12-12-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't mind losing Gomes all that much, but couldn't Jocketty have dealt the guy for a low-level prospect or two? I thought that he had at least that much value, but I guess I could be wrong.

Either way, I think that the OF will be fine. Balentein can still provide some RH pop off the bench and is a better defender than Gomes. A starting OF of Bruce/Stubbs/Heisey with Dickerson and Balentein coming off the bench doesn't sound too bad.

redhawk61
12-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Here's to hoping they let him go, because a trade is about to be completed for a leftfielder.:beerme:

I can dream...

texasdave
12-12-2009, 06:20 PM
I posted this on another thread but it seems appropriate here.

The Reds non-tendered Johnny Gomes. I don't think that really matters all that much since the Reds can still resign him.

Major League clubs must offer contracts to players on its roster by December 12. In general, an offer may not be less than 80% of the player’s salary and performance bonuses the previous year or less than 70% of his salary and performance bonuses from two years earlier.

If a club has no interest in keeping a particular player, the club may choose to non-tender him, or to not offer him a contract. A player generally becomes a candidate to be non-tendered when he is arbitration-eligible and his club determines he is not worth the salary he might command in arbitration. A player who is non-tendered becomes a free agent and may sign with any of the 30 Major League clubs, including his former team, at any price.

Joeyjection19
12-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Good, we were flush with offensive talent last year, no reason to spend money on someone who can hit with power and bring in runs...

Really? (facepalm)

reds77
12-12-2009, 07:46 PM
This move doesn't bother me as I don't see Gomes as anything special and definitely not the player to put the Reds over the top. If they aren't going to bring in a stud FA like a Bay or Holliday (which we know they won't) then I'd rather see them go with youth from the minors.

BigPoppa
12-12-2009, 07:54 PM
I don't like this.....I hope we can still sign Gomes as a FA.

He's no Bay or Holliday, but I think he could be a cost-effective 25 HR guy over a full season, and he seemed to like playing in Cincinnati. He was sort of like our Nick Swisher.

MBZags
12-12-2009, 11:42 PM
In a world of complete irony, it wouldn't surprise me if the Reds went after Jack Cust, who was non-tendered by the A's.

LetsGoReds11
12-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Thy Shall Let The Young Play

texasdave
12-13-2009, 01:49 AM
In a world of complete irony, it wouldn't surprise me if the Reds went after Jack Cust, who was non-tendered by the A's.

Please stay far, far away from Jack Cust.

Redsfan320
12-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I am very unhappy right now. One of my biggest wishes this off-season was to bring Gomes back. They better sign him now, but if they don't, I want Francisco in LF.

From back in cold, cold Ohio :cry:,

GIDP
12-13-2009, 10:50 AM
I dont care that they let him go but it's just annoying to see them so happy and proud of deals like Hernandez, Taveras, and Lincoln when majority of the board agree they are bad deals. Reds have a history of over paying minimal talent and hoping for career years despite all the warning signs. Gomes could have fallen into that group next year but he would have to get injured most likely.

Vottomatic
12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Chris Heisey is your new left fielder.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Chris Heisey is your new left fielder.

It would appear so but as long and Willy Taveras is on our team I refuse to believe that LF will be played by anyone other than Chris Dickerson and Drew Stubbs.

Joeyjection19
12-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Per Fay, Jockerty "will continue to try to sign Johnny Gomes" and that "'we're pretty close to getting something done [signing Laynce Nix.]'" It's the top post on mlbtraderumors, and was linked back to the Cincinnati Enquirer. (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2009/12/13/jocketty-open-to-bringing-gomes-back/)

I'd much rather have Gomes back, but maybe they're thinking a platoon of Nix and Balentien in LF? I'm in favor of leaving Heisey in Louisville for at least the beginning of 2010, in that line of thought, maybe Nix provides some insurance in case Heisey isn't quite ready.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Laynce Nix is just the type of player Dusty Baker loves to over use.

Old NDN
12-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I just don't get it with non-tendering Gomes. Heisey is unproven at the MLB level. Balentien hasn't proven much. Dickerson can't stay healthy. Tavares(yuck!)? Gomes put up solid overall numbers. The knock is he doesn't hit righties? What was Bruce's numbers against lefties? I can't see any of the above listed suspects putting up Gomes' numbers.

Vottomatic
12-14-2009, 08:00 AM
I think the reason they didn't tender Gomes is because they have a logjam of outfielders.

Tavares, Dickerson, Stubbs, Bruce, Francisco, Heisey, Balentein, Dorn, and possibly Nix.

Gomes career numbers don't suggest that he'd be any better than some of these cheaper versions. And the cheaper versions haven't had their major league shot yet.

Joeyjection19
12-14-2009, 10:41 AM
If you take out those who haven't proven themselves at the major league level yet, it only leaves you with Dickerson, Stubbs, Bruce, and Balentein (assuming you haven't signed Nix yet). With Dickerson's and Bruce's injury issues, you are potentially forcing those younger players into a starting position where they'll either sink or swim. I don't know if that's the best way to go about starting their major league careers.

With Nix and Gomes, you had a solid platoon option- I can only assume that they liked Balentein's potential over what Gomes brought to the field. It's looking like a Nix-Balentein platoon if Heisey has a bad spring.

Old NDN
12-14-2009, 12:26 PM
That's kinda what I was getting at in my previous post. It feels like a "write-off, wait 'till next year" type of message (again) by going all in with the kids.

Vottomatic
12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I disagree. They have so many options, even of those unproven, that somebody will pan out, and at alot cheaper price than Gomes.

I like Jonny. Thought he did a decent job. But he's not the future in LF. Heisey, more than likely is. Or Francisco.

Red in Atl
12-14-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm pulling for a Heisey/Francisco platoon in LF myself, if they prove themselves in ST. Which is why they non-tendered Gomes. Obviously, he is asking for more than they want to pay. You can always pick up a half decent outfielder and plenty will be available by the end of ST.

If the kids don't do the job, which I doubt because I think they are both ready, then we pick someone up off the scrap heap. It's not like we're going to sign a Holliday or Bay, so what's the worry about Gomes. Does anyone think that the Heisey/Francisco combo couldn't hit 20 Hr's between them in a year?

FlyerFanatic
12-14-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm pulling for a Heisey/Francisco platoon in LF myself, if they prove themselves in ST. Which is why they non-tendered Gomes. Obviously, he is asking for more than they want to pay. You can always pick up a half decent outfielder and plenty will be available by the end of ST.

If the kids don't do the job, which I doubt because I think they are both ready, then we pick someone up off the scrap heap. It's not like we're going to sign a Holliday or Bay, so what's the worry about Gomes. Does anyone think that the Heisey/Francisco combo couldn't hit 20 Hr's between them in a year?

excellent post. completely agree