PDA

View Full Version : rumor: Harang to LA?

wojo1025
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Dodgers Exploring Aaron Harang Trade
By Tim Dierkes [December 17 at 8:37am CST]

The Dodgers are exploring a trade for Reds starter Aaron Harang, reports Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times. The Reds seek "one or two players on the Dodgers' major league roster in return." Hernandez notes that if traded Harang would be guaranteed $15MM for one year; his 2011 option would become mutual and the buyout would increase. The Reds would have to pick up part of the tab.

You might be surprised to see the Dodgers considering a salary dump acquisition, given all the rumors of their lack of spending ability. But keep in mind that GM Ned Colletti freed up $8MM in the Juan Pierre trade, which is to be used toward a starting pitcher, second baseman, and bench players. $3.85MM already went toward Jamey Carroll, so Colletti doesn't have a ton

mattfeet
12-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Good move IMO, depending on the MLB players we get in return. This could be a solid deal for us!

-Matt

Ghosts of 1990
12-17-2009, 09:46 AM
I wonder which two players we're eye balling?

I wonder how high the Dodgers hold Harang in regard. Maybe higher then we do after watching him so much. If they do, would it be enough to get a RH stick like a Kemp? I don't think it would. I could see it being more of a Casey Blake type player who can play third, first, outfield, anywhere you wanna put him. In that case I'd hang onto Harang for more as his value might rise as the season goes on and teams find themselves in races.

Watch us trade him to LA only for him to regain form in Dodger Blue and win 18

mattfeet
12-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Id keel over dead if we got Kemp in return.

-Matt

GIDP
12-17-2009, 09:58 AM
I would be happy but I dont trust this team to spend money saved on Harang wisely anyways.

one or 2 players from their major league roster. Let me guess by saying its James McDonald and Blake Dewitt/Chin Lung hu.

mattfeet
12-17-2009, 10:08 AM
That wouldn't be awful for us...

-Matt

wojo1025
12-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I would start with Hu and then look around. McDonald/Hu or DeWitt/Hu would be the likely candidates. If the Reds swindle LA and grab Matt Kemp outta this deal I will add Walt Jocketty to my Christmas card list immediatley

GIDP
12-17-2009, 10:32 AM
I'd find it very hard to believe that the dodgers would trade Kemp. If they did that not only would they be trading an all star they would be trading their only CF option left unless they went out and signed Coco Crisp.

I'll stick to saying that the Reds are going for McDonald. Hu btw is very similar to Janish. I would take Hu but he's not good enough of a return for the Reds especially if they are going to eat some of that contract.

jimbo
12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
I would start with Hu and then look around.

Hu would be my first and main target. I'd look for a pitcher after him, preferably a lefty.

joe51391
12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Don't they have a SS prospect Dee Brown. He is who I would covet

yab1112
12-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm not familiar with Hu, can anyone fill me in?

GIDP
12-17-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not familiar with Hu, can anyone fill me in?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/Chin-lung-Hu.shtml

Supposed to have great D.

If you ask me he's slightly better looking player than Janish.

mound_patrol
12-17-2009, 11:32 AM
I'd find it very hard to believe that the dodgers would trade Kemp. If they did that not only would they be trading an all star they would be trading their only CF option left unless they went out and signed Coco Crisp.

I'll stick to saying that the Reds are going for McDonald. Hu btw is very similar to Janish. I would take Hu but he's not good enough of a return for the Reds especially if they are going to eat some of that contract.

There is NO chance they trade Kemp. Especially not for a guy like Harang who they'd get for one year at 15 million. The Reds will have to pick up a considerable amount of money to even get a guy like McDonald. Which I hope they go after. He'd be a good target for the Reds.

Redsfan320
12-17-2009, 11:35 AM
After looking at some stats, I'm not seeing where Hu is any better than Janish.

GIDP
12-17-2009, 11:35 AM
There is NO chance they trade Kemp. Especially not for a guy like Harang who they'd get for one year at 15 million. The Reds will have to pick up a considerable amount of money to even get a guy like McDonald. Which I hope they go after. He'd be a good target for the Reds.

Pretty much agree on all accounts. If they are eating money on Harang they better at least get McDonald.

GIDP
12-17-2009, 11:36 AM
After looking at some stats, I'm not seeing where Hu is any better than Janish.

He has a better track record than Janish in the minors. Hu had some pretty solid years in the minors but yea for the most part they arent much different.

mound_patrol
12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I really hope the Reds don't trade for Hu. They already have Hu. His name is Paul Janish. Dejesus would be the better target to go along with McDonald.

wojo1025
12-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Can I be the normal "move BP" poster ... move BP to SS and grab DeWitt for 2b?

malcontent
12-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I really hope the Reds don't trade for Hu. They already have Hu. His name is Paul Janish. Dejesus would be the better target to go along with McDonald.

No Hu for me either. Much rather get DeJesus.

Redsfan320
12-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I would not trade Harang for a minor leaguer . While I agree that he is probably done, and way overpaid, I say he's still better than someone who's never proved himself in MLB. Keep in mind that even the good prospects only work out a very small percentage of the time.

travisgrimes
12-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Harang and half the contract to the Dodgers for DeJesus and McDonald sounds good to me.

mattfeet
12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Harang and half the contract to the Dodgers for DeJesus and McDonald sounds good to me.

I could get behind this trade. Of course the general public is not going to know who DeJesus/McDonald are and once again be disgruntled that the FO is finishing this team before they even get started.

-Matt

Redsfan320
12-17-2009, 03:56 PM
At the very least, we would have to get both DeJesus and McDonald.
BTW, check out the new sig.

nemesis
12-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I know it wont happen but Harang, Phillips, Dickerson and Janish which fills all their
(Dodgers) needs... Pick up half of Harang's contract and take Elbert, Hu and Kemp.

Ship Arroyo, Hu, Stubbs and Alonso to Mets for Reyes, Niese and Thole. While picking up half Arroyo's salary.

2 ok starting starting pitchers... 1 All Star CF... 1 All Star SS... 1 High OBP C.

Reyes
Thole
Votto
Kemp
Rolen
Bruce
Frazier
Heisey/Balentien/Nix/Dorn

Team saves about 5 million (Doug Davis?) this year and 10 to 12 million next year.

GIDP
12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
6:02pm: ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports that discussions between the Dodgers and Reds have "gotten beyond the tire-kicking stage" and that the two sides are "seriously contemplating" how to complete a Harang deal. Still, Stark's source says there's still a long way to go before anything is finalized.

MLBtraderumors >* how can anyone not love that site.

Redsfan320
12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
MLBtraderumors >* how can anyone not love that site.

I don't know.

yab1112
12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
For what it's worth, Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports just tweeted:

As for a possible Harang deal between Dodgers and Reds, said a source from one of the clubs: "Not happening."

mroby85
12-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Buster Olney just said on ESPN that talks have heated up, and he thinks they most likely get a deal done, sending Harang to LA.

FlyerFanatic
12-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Buster Olney just said on ESPN that talks have heated up, and he thinks they most likely get a deal done, sending Harang to LA.

i was about to post the same thing. but i wasnt sure if that baseball tonight was a re run from earlier in the day or not.

Kingspoint
12-18-2009, 02:59 AM
If Bill Bavasi is giving any advice on this anything bad can happen.

mattfeet
12-18-2009, 08:10 AM
i was about to post the same thing. but i wasnt sure if that baseball tonight was a re run from earlier in the day or not.

I sincerely hope this negates the rumor that the deal was dad as per the aforementioned Jayson Stark note.

-Matt

Old NDN
12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
I hope it's more than just a salary dump and can get something useful in return. I understand the need for salary relief, IF they use it to make this team better.

GIDP
12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
It will be interesting. I dont see the reds dumping Harang and paying a lot of his salary unless the return isn't at least better than solid.

bounty37h
12-18-2009, 11:18 AM
At the very least, we would have to get both DeJesus and McDonald.
BTW, check out the new sig.

Its spelled GriffEy

Redsfan320
12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Its spelled GriffEy

Oops. I originally had it that way, but the RZ spell-check said it was wrong, so I changed it. Guess I'll change it back

EDIT: It is now correctly spelled

flash
12-18-2009, 07:55 PM
I read what was said on the Dodger website, and this sounds a lot like a Dodger pipedream. The Dodgers want the Reds to pay most of Harang's salry to pitch for them. Harang may have not have had a stelar year, but He wasn't so bad that the Reds need to pay some other team to have him pitch for them. He is not Eric Milton. What do the Reds get for their largeness. Nothing definite is mentioned. Why should the Reds even respond.? It sounds like madness. However if Bavasi is involved anything can happen. I notice that Seattle has been very active. Could it be they are trying to correct the numerous errors they made with Bavasi in their front office?

I want to switch gears here and talk about Harang. His last two years have truely been less than stellar. One reason for this is that his run support has been very bad the past two years. Who has been the manager? First the Reds had Patterson in centerfield, and two duds that I can't even remember behind the plate. One was an old buddy of the manager. It got so bad the Reds had to call up Hannigan, and Dickerson from Louisville in the middle of a pennant race. Both performed admirably for a team going through end of the year paces. Hannigan continued performing well at the beginning of the year in his seldom used capacity. No, he didn't drive in runs. To bad there wasn't anyone on base. He was underused at first, then overused. He was a tired player by mid-season and it showed. I do believe he will do better this next year, but you know who is managing the team. Dickerson also experienced a sophmore slump. He also will do better. But before the last season began Jockerty, (I have to believe he was trying to please Dusty) signed Taveras to a very questionable contract. I didn't complain, but it did surprise me. Taveras bombed, and so did the offense. It was so bad again that the Reds had to once again seek help from Louisville. Stubbs is now the answer in center. One can only hope. (I really think the Reds should put Dickerson in center and try Stubbs in left.) Anyway Bruce also went into a sophmore slump forcing the promotion of Gomes.

Anyway there were questions about motivation in Dusty's first seasn with Dunn and Griffey. The Reds got rid of them. Then last year motivation problems continued with Encarnacion until he had to finally be traded. Phillips had to be disciplined twice for laziness, Taveras also. Does something sound familiar here?

Harang is a power pitcher. He has a limited reportoire that demands that he challenges hitters from time to time. It is easier to challenge hitters when you have a lead than it is when you have to pitch a shutout to win. Before Dusty came in LaRussa hated harang and even accused him of throwing at players. haven't heard that lately. However Harang sees all of this, and says, I'm going to pitch my game. Well, he gets hurt both physically and on the scoreboard. ( I can't fault his guts. This is the guy who on two days rest struck out 10 Padres in a row only to have his team give him no support. This is the guy who came back after a two hour rain delay to get a win. He works to the point of hurting himself thereby his team.)

I believe part of Harang's problems could be linked directly to who is running the show. Yeah, the Dodgers want him. They got a real manager.

Vottomatic
12-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I read what was said on the Dodger website, and this sounds a lot like a Dodger pipedream. The Dodgers want the Reds to pay most of Harang's salry to pitch for them. Harang may have not have had a stelar year, but He wasn't so bad that the Reds need to pay some other team to have him pitch for them. He is not Eric Milton. What do the Reds get for their largeness. Nothing definite is mentioned. Why should the Reds even respond.? It sounds like madness. However if Bavasi is involved anything can happen. I notice that Seattle has been very active. Could it be they are trying to correct the numerous errors they made with Bavasi in their front office?

I want to switch gears here and talk about Harang. His last two years have truely been less than stellar. One reason for this is that his run support has been very bad the past two years. Who has been the manager? First the Reds had Patterson in centerfield, and two duds that I can't even remember behind the plate. One was an old buddy of the manager. It got so bad the Reds had to call up Hannigan, and Dickerson from Louisville in the middle of a pennant race. Both performed admirably for a team going through end of the year paces. Hannigan continued performing well at the beginning of the year in his seldom used capacity. No, he didn't drive in runs. To bad there wasn't anyone on base. He was underused at first, then overused. He was a tired player by mid-season and it showed. I do believe he will do better this next year, but you know who is managing the team. Dickerson also experienced a sophmore slump. He also will do better. But before the last season began Jockerty, (I have to believe he was trying to please Dusty) signed Taveras to a very questionable contract. I didn't complain, but it did surprise me. Taveras bombed, and so did the offense. It was so bad again that the Reds had to once again seek help from Louisville. Stubbs is now the answer in center. One can only hope. (I really think the Reds should put Dickerson in center and try Stubbs in left.) Anyway Bruce also went into a sophmore slump forcing the promotion of Gomes.

Anyway there were questions about motivation in Dusty's first seasn with Dunn and Griffey. The Reds got rid of them. Then last year motivation problems continued with Encarnacion until he had to finally be traded. Phillips had to be disciplined twice for laziness, Taveras also. Does something sound familiar here?

Harang is a power pitcher. He has a limited reportoire that demands that he challenges hitters from time to time. It is easier to challenge hitters when you have a lead than it is when you have to pitch a shutout to win. Before Dusty came in LaRussa hated harang and even accused him of throwing at players. haven't heard that lately. However Harang sees all of this, and says, I'm going to pitch my game. Well, he gets hurt both physically and on the scoreboard. ( I can't fault his guts. This is the guy who on two days rest struck out 10 Padres in a row only to have his team give him no support. This is the guy who came back after a two hour rain delay to get a win. He works to the point of hurting himself thereby his team.)

I believe part of Harang's problems could be linked directly to who is running the show. Yeah, the Dodgers want him. They got a real manager.

People need to look past wins/losses with Harang and look at his other pertinent numbers.

I also agree that he pitches under stress every game because he gets no run support. It's hard to pitch a perfect game every game........and that's pretty much what he's up against.

I'd rather have him than pay his salary while he pitches for another team. That's just a waste.

yab1112
12-19-2009, 11:06 PM
From MLBTR:
Dodgers' GM Ned Colletti said that any talks with Cincinnati are "all but dead," according to Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times. Yesterday we heard the two teams were exploring an Aaron Harang trade.

MBZags
12-22-2009, 10:41 AM
It looks like trade talks aren't dead. I don't really understand what the Reds are seeking to accomplish by getting Sherrill and not shedding payroll, unless they are positive they can trade Cordero. Still, I don't like it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-pitchingmarket122109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

mattfeet
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Sherrill doesn't look too bad at all. Of course Im not too sure if Harang + 10mil for Sherrill+ prospect is worth it.

-Matt

batsfan
12-22-2009, 10:50 AM
The only logic I can think of in acquiring George Sherrill instead of an OF or SS is that we can trade Cordero...

mattfeet
12-22-2009, 10:58 AM
The only logic I can think of in acquiring George Sherrill instead of an OF or SS is that we can trade Cordero...

Agreed. However, if Sherrill is in the 'pen now, would he or Massett become the closer?

-Matt

wojo1025
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Would this also make Arthur Rhodes available moving Sherrill into the pen and giving Viola the LOOGY spot?

mound_patrol
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Sherrill doesn't look too bad at all. Of course Im not too sure if Harang + 10mil for Sherrill+ prospect is worth it.

-Matt

Unless the prospect is McDonald or a SP prospect who is close to the majors I do not like this proposed deal.

batsfan
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
From Mark Sheldon's twitter:

There are no new talks regarding #reds and #dodgers and Aaron Harang, as reported elsewhere. LA inquired but CIN not receptive to offer

GIDP
12-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I know they are saying it isnt true but if we would eat 10 million of Harangs money then we better be getting back some really good players.

BLEEDS
12-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Harang for Kemp, we pay all of Harang's Salary - minus Kemp's - and pay for the option too.

Harang STILL had a 4.21 ERA, nothing to poo-poo. With that early season lineup, I'm surprised he won ANY games, he got NO run support, it was disgusting.

I'm not giving him up for nothing. BUT, all things being equal, I'd rather keep Arroyo than Harang. We have to give up one.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Vottomatic
12-22-2009, 02:17 PM

-Matt

Sherrill's stats: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7379/career;_ylt=AsgElOTA8jXvpJQHDWDpGkSFCLcF

Geez, giving another club $10M and one of your top 3 starting pitchers, and getting back 2 players? Definitely don't feel it's worth it. In this day and age, a 4.21 e.r.a. isn't all that bad (Harang).

BLEEDS
12-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I don't get the trading for Sherril - basically we're not getting anything if we pay the $10M. Basically we're trading Harang for Sherril. Color me perplexed.

If we can trade him for some salary dump, and get some GOOD prospects, or even a MLB ready position player, then I'm all for it.

If we're not saving anythig, I say take your chances that he'll ONLY pitch to a 4.21 ERA next year. He might get 10-15 wins with a decent defense and just a TAD bit of NON-bad luck!

PEACE

-BLEEDS