PDA

View Full Version : Rolen signs a restructured extention

GIDP
12-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Scott Rolen has agreed to a contract extension that will keep him with the Reds through 2012.
Rolen will earn $23.625 million over the next three seasons. He restructured his contract in order to get it done, as instead of earning $11 million next season, he will now receive $6 million in 2010, $6.5 million in 2011 and $6.5 million in 2012. Rolen will also receive a $5 million signing bonus that is deferred over the next three seasons. The move provides the Reds with some much-needed salary relief, but he'll be 37 by the end of the contract. Rolen batted .305/.368/.455 with 11 home runs and 67 RBI with the Reds and Blue Jays in '09, but hasn't played in more than 128 games since 2006.

So by my count the Reds just loosened up something like 6 million in payroll by doing this. I hate the trade because of how badly I feel we mismanaged the market, but I simply love this deal honestly.

We might have enough cash to sign a SS in free agency now. Orlando Cabrera would be a decent pick up for a year.

I wonder what happens now to Francisco and Frazier.

malcontent
12-19-2009, 03:51 PM

And Alonso, and Heisey. With Votto at 1B and Phillips at 2B, LF is now a huge logjam.

vottofan4life
12-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Now since we have the money i think a miguel tejada signing should take place now which would give us the offense we desperately need at that position and we get whatever defense is left from him

Then we trade Harang, Taveras, Alonso,and Micah Owings either over to angels for Ervin Santana and Juan Rivera, to the mets for John Maine, Fernando Martinez,and Thole or to the Indians for Shin soo choo, Jeremy Sowers and Fausto Carmona

GIDP
12-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Now since we have the money i think a miguel tejada signing should take place now which would give us the offense we desperately need at that position and we get whatever defense is left from him

Then we trade Harang, Taveras, Alonso,and Micah Owings either over to angels for Ervin Santana and Juan Rivera, to the mets for John Maine, Fernando Martinez,and Thole or to the Indians for Shin soo choo, Jeremy Sowers and Fausto Carmona
Ring Ring Ring
Hello, reality isn't in right now would you like to leave a message?

Redsfan320
12-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure about this one. While I like Rolen's veteran presence, and his leadership, as well as his current batting, he is getting old, and I just don't see him staying productive all the way through 2012.

Carin4Narron
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Ring Ring Ring
Hello, reality isn't in right now would you like to leave a message? well said GIDP!

Zimmers
12-19-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure about this one. While I like Rolen's veteran presence, and his leadership, as well as his current batting, he is getting old, and I just don't see him staying productive all the way through 2012.

yes its keeping him for another year but itrt a affordable year. This is way better than paying him at his before contract. This was money he was going to earn anyway just with a extra year and money freed up 4 a trade for this year or next. Imo there is nothing not really to not like.

Kingspoint
12-19-2009, 08:00 PM
The REDS under Jockety/Baker/Bavasi continue to do stupid things and embrace mediocrity.

Wake me up if this franchise ever wins 90 games again while Jockety/Baker/Bavasi is here (though he could sell the entire farm for one "failed" shot, but that won't count if it's followed by .500 and below seasons).

Kingspoint
12-19-2009, 08:05 PM
The Hydra (Jockety/Baker/Bavasi) wreaks havoc on the Cincinnati REDS Ballclub again, ripping another part of the machine apart that was built up by O'Brien and Krivsky.

I'm not wrong about this. Someone please post an "I told you so" in September, 2010 or September, 2011 if this team is in a pennant race. It's not possible though because they are committed to stupid moves like the "two" involving Scott Rolen.

Go to the games, have fun that day. If they win, fine. If they don't, fine. Just don't have any playoff expectations.

It's amazing how quickly Management can ruin an organization. Sadly, it takes a long time to undo the damage.

gedred69
12-19-2009, 08:31 PM
The Hydra (Jockety/Baker/Bavasi) wreaks havoc on the Cincinnati REDS Ballclub again, ripping another part of the machine apart that was built up by O'Brien and Krivsky.

I'm not wrong about this. Someone please post an "I told you so" in September, 2010 or September, 2011 if this team is in a pennant race. It's not possible though because they are committed to stupid moves like the "two" involving Scott Rolen.

Go to the games, have fun that day. If they win, fine. If they don't, fine. Just don't have any playoff expectations.

It's amazing how quickly Management can ruin an organization. Sadly, it takes a long time to undo the damage.

While I agree with your statement about the fantastic job of building from within done by O'Brien and Krivsky, I remain the eternal optimist. This s eason like the past few, depend on a few things falling in place, such is the fate of teams not in the mega-big markets. Minnesota year after year finds a way to compete from developing their own talent-----only to let it go a few years later. But nevermind, they've always got other up and comers to take the place. I thought that was the reason the Reds brought in Krivsky, to develop a similar plan. If this and that fall into place, we got a shot. That's all we can hope for, so it'll have to do for now.

Krawhitham
12-19-2009, 08:45 PM
MLB requires all deferred payment be put in a bank account and not touched, so how does this help the reds?

Vottomatic
12-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Ring Ring Ring
Hello, reality isn't in right now would you like to leave a message?

You owe me a new keyboard because I just spit my drink all over it after reading that. :D

Girevik
12-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Can someone please explain the point of a signing bonus in a major league contract, especially if it's deffered? Since the contracts are all garanteed anyway, why bother with the signing bonus? The only thing I can see is that he gets that money if he retires.

BLEEDS
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Can someone please explain the point of a signing bonus in a major league contract, especially if it's deffered? Since the contracts are all garanteed anyway, why bother with the signing bonus? The only thing I can see is that he gets that money if he retires.

You get to spread the cost over the length of the contract versus all of it in the year it was paid.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Girevik
12-21-2009, 11:54 AM
That's the point in deferring it....I see that. But why bother with a signing bonus at all? In football it's because if the player gets cut they don't get paid....it's a way of gauranteeing them a minimum amount of money. In baseball the salaries are all garanteed so the point of a signing bonus seems moot. ESPECIALLY if you're going to defer it over the life of the contract and not pay it up front. Then it's just basically more salary (unless, like I said, Rolen retires and gives up the last year or two salary...then he still gets the bonus money).

Lockdwn11
12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
So by my count the Reds just loosened up something like 6 million in payroll by doing this. I hate the trade because of how badly I feel we mismanaged the market, but I simply love this deal honestly.

We might have enough cash to sign a SS in free agency now. Orlando Cabrera would be a decent pick up for a year.

We will see how much you love this deal in year three because Rolen will be just another bad contract

GIDP
12-21-2009, 11:58 AM
We will see how much you love this deal in year three because Rolen will be just another bad contract

I doubt I will love it, but as is stands right now its better than the alternative.

Rockermann
12-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Here's ten defensive gems (http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2009/08/scott-rolens-top-10-defensive-gems.html) from Rolen while with the Blue Jays. I'm looking forward to seeing more and more of this from him the next couple of years.

cbowen2112
12-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Here's ten defensive gems (http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2009/08/scott-rolens-top-10-defensive-gems.html) from Rolen while with the Blue Jays. I'm looking forward to seeing more and more of this from him the next couple of years.

There are some nice gems there. I really can't wait until we sure up our whole infield. His addition will help, despite what some on here think.

Vottomatic
12-28-2009, 09:34 PM

Wow. Thanks for posting those. I watched most of them. I got tired of the 7 second demo's commercial coming up. Amazing and those were from the last 2 seasons. Definitely a more than huge upgrade defensively at third base. Very impressive. I can see why he's won 7 Gold Gloves. Look forward to him playing third base for us this year. Hope he stays healthy.

Rockermann
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
...Look forward to him playing third base for us this year. Hope he stays healthy.

Exactly. That's going to be the key. If he stays healthy, he's a BIG help to the team. Glad you enjoyed the clips..