PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Get Rid oF Taveras?

vottofan4life
12-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Like to see the thoughts and creative ideas to get rid of waste.....Maybe jockety will finally see an idea that gets him out

Vottomatic
12-23-2009, 11:35 PM
I know some people who know some people who know some people who take care of this sort of thing. ;)

BLEEDS
12-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Per Marty, he's currently 4th on the CF depth chart. Hopefully he doesn't have a ridiculous Spring and they cut him, or at least send him to AAA.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

vottofan4life
12-23-2009, 11:47 PM
thanx vottomatic this is the type of people we need

mroby85
12-24-2009, 12:35 AM
I think the most disappointing thing about Taveras was his lack of ability to steal bases, I didn't expect him to hit well, and actually figured he'd be pathetic in that area, but then he wasn't even good at stealing bases when he did get on base. That was the most shocking/disappointing thing about him to me. If he was like he used to be, he'd have some value just as a pinch runner of the bench, to get in scoring position in late game situations... That being said, he seemed to lose a step last year. If he couldn't steal bases, and I couldn't trade him, i'd just release him. He's pointless to have around.

Kingspoint
12-24-2009, 02:46 AM
I know where Tonya Harding lives.

texasdave
12-24-2009, 02:54 AM
From MLBtraderumors.com: Merkin notes that the Cubs, Nationals, and Reds had also expressed interest in Anderson

That would be Brian Anderson. He of the lifetime 69+ OPS. His slash line reads (hold your nose) .229/.290/.370.

I am now convinced that Dusty has a clause in his contract that allows him to pick out one crappy centerfielder every winter and the Reds GM must sign that player to an inflated salary.

Brian Anderson escaped but we know there are others of similar (lack of) ability out there waiting by their phones for a call from area code 513.

Vottomatic
12-24-2009, 11:03 AM
I think the most disappointing thing about Taveras was his lack of ability to steal bases, I didn't expect him to hit well, and actually figured he'd be pathetic in that area, but then he wasn't even good at stealing bases when he did get on base. That was the most shocking/disappointing thing about him to me. If he was like he used to be, he'd have some value just as a pinch runner of the bench, to get in scoring position in late game situations... That being said, he seemed to lose a step last year. If he couldn't steal bases, and I couldn't trade him, i'd just release him. He's pointless to have around.

I agree. If he showed the ability to take a walk, bunt himself on base, and cause problems for opponents with his base stealing, then he might have had some value. But he did none of the above. In fact, he was worse than I even expected. And his defense was pathetic.

I'd cut him too.

UPRedsFan
12-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Who exactly does Marty say they have as 3rd on the depth chart in center?

I assume it's Stubbs, Dickerson, ???? , Taveras

Is it Nix?

Eric
12-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Even before Taveras came to Cincy, he threw Hurdle under the bus by saying that they tried to change his swing. He was trying to justify his horrible 2008 by saying that they tried to make him hit the ball in the air. I knew he was lieing then and it wasnt long when the whole world saw he has a terrible swing and is basicly useless. He takes weird approaches to the ball while defending and is not good at anything he does.

So all that being said, I say since nobody wants him, let him be the guy who works on pickoff moves with the pitchers and catchers throwing out runners in ST. That should build their confidence going into the regular season

Griffey012
12-25-2009, 12:15 AM
I never ever thought he could be as bad as he was in all facets of the game. His D was downright terrible. The only thing that remotely saved him from being worse than Griffey in CF for the White Sox was his ridiculous speed. Which only came in handy on his horrid reads on can of corn fly balls, because he never saw first base, and when he does, gets a 2 step lead and takes a horrible lead on a pitcher...

Anyone else feel like they could get a bigger lead than Taveras half the time?

mroby85
12-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I think it's possible, but I also think my lead could be half way to 2nd base, and he'd still beat me there with his lead, lol jk. He is just not a good player, I hope if he's around he gets his legs back under him this year, and can run. Gotta hope he was injured or something, I'd prefer him just not be around though.

flash
12-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I really don't see anyway the Reds could rid themselvelve of the contract now even if they pay his salary for a good prospect. With so many outfield free agents no club will be willing to give up anything for him. Besides even the speed is questionable seeing that he had leg problems last year. It was a horrible contract.

Changing the subject, on the old guard there have been those questioning Jockerty's tenure. With contracts like Lincoln and Taveras it is easy to see why.

mroby85
12-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Very true, he really hasn't done anything since being here honestly. All his moves have been minor to middle of the road type deals. Honeslty, I think Krivsky was a good guy if they weren't going to spend money because he seemed to be used to that system like in Minnesota, and had already landed players like Brandon Phillips, and Josh Hamilton who he was able to turn into Volquez when they needed to drop Hamilton. I'm indifferent on Jocketty, but I felt like Krivsky was doing a good job, and kind of got messed over.

Vottomatic
12-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Krivsky did a good job. Jocketty has done nothing. Yet Bob continues to make mistakes.

"We're just not going to lose anymore" Castellini said when he fired Krivsky. Yet apparently Dusty was BC's pick and he continues to keep him. Jocketty has been terrible, but they continue to keep him.

BC would be better off hiring someone good that if he didn't like him, he felt he could fire. I think his loyalty is keeping an unproductive manager and GM on this team.

Knightro28
12-26-2009, 04:27 PM
I'll go ahead and stick my neck out and get behind Jocketty. I think he's a solid GM.

While he hasn't made many flashy moves, he does have a strategy to upgrade pitching and defense. Clearly, Wily T did not pan out. Clearly, he should no longer be in a Reds uniform. But this isn't a move that determines whether or not a GM is successful.

I know nobody wants to be patient, and understandably so, seeing how the Reds have not had a winning season in a blue moon. But I think we have a legit, credible GM calling the shots now. A proven winner.

mroby85
12-27-2009, 12:44 AM
I agree with you, I just question whether he's the right credible GM for the route the Reds are going with a lack of spending. He had more flexibility with $ in St. Louis to make moves like additions of Mark McGwire, Scott Rolen (in his prime) and things of that nature. I don't question Jocketty's ability to build a team as much as the system that he's in being right for him. I'm only basing it on the moves that have been made so far alongside moves that Krivsky made while he was here. In my opinion Krivsky did nothing to deserve to be fired. I'm not as unhappy with Jocketty as I am with the front offices lack of willingness to improve by spending some $. Personally, I don't put the blame with Jocketty, or Dusty who many can't stand, because they've proven they can win when they're given the opportunity to succeed.

redleg40
12-28-2009, 04:32 PM
I hear the Tigers want a lead off hitter and cf so they can ease Austin Jackson into the picture. Sounds like a fit to me!

vottofan4life
12-28-2009, 05:53 PM
hmm taveras and harang for willis?
taveras and lincoln for nate robertson/
taveras and arroyo for magglio ordonez
taveras and phillips for gallaraga and scott sizemore
Taveras,Harang,Alonso, Woods for Rick Porcello,Dontrelle Willis,Ryan Raburn

CesarGeronimo
12-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Here's what I wish the Reds could do - tell Dusty he can keep Taveras if he wants, but under the following conditions: When Taveras starts, Dusty has $10,000 added to his salary if the Reds win and $10,000 deducted if they lose. If Taveras is batting first or second in the order, that amount is increased to $25,000 added if the Reds win and $25,000 deducted if they lose.

Eric
12-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Jocketty has never realy built a team in my opinion. He has always been a GM for a team who spends. If he isnt top 5 in the leauge in payroll, then your team wont be top 3 in the division. He is terrible to be kind. He does know how to spend other peoples money though.

As far as Krivsky, he was in way over his head. As a scout/ player development he is a god, as a GM, he wasnt ready.

He should have been kept in the organization if at all possible. Just as Mackanin should have been.

CesarGeronimo
12-28-2009, 09:02 PM
My biggest concern about Jocketty is that he's now part of a Jocketty/Baker management team aiming to build the style of club that Dusty wants with players that Dusty wants. We saw evidence of that recently with Jocketty talking about potential off-season acquisitions, but saying that he needed to talk with Dusty first.

That's completely different than being part of a Jocketty/LaRussa/Duncan team. My fear is that LaRussa played a huge role in shaping what type of team St. Louis would have and what players it would acquire and that Jocketty is working off the same model with Dusty in Cincy, and that's why we're seeing an emphasis on the speed of the 70s without concern for the OBPs of the new millenium.

Vottomatic
12-28-2009, 09:37 PM
hmm taveras and harang for willis?
taveras and lincoln for nate robertson/
taveras and arroyo for magglio ordonez
taveras and phillips for gallaraga and scott sizemore
Taveras,Harang,Alonso, Woods for Rick Porcello,Dontrelle Willis,Ryan Raburn

The Ordonez trade would work because they'd love to unload his contract. Problem is, we'd never go for it unless they paid part of it.

We'd save $12.25 on Arroyo and $4M on Tavares, but pick up approximately $18M on Ordonez. So we'd add $1.75M. Is it worth it for Ordonez? Plus we'd lose our innings eater starting pitcher, who posted the best e.r.a. on the staff last year. I'd rather trade Harang. Also, if Ordonez makes a certain number of starts, his 2011 salary option kicks in to be paid.

Interesting idea. Not sure I wouldn't rather eat $4M and just release Tavares. Plus, Boras is Ordonez's agent, and he would file a grievance if the Reds sat Ordonez so he didn't meet his requirements for the '11 salary to kick in.

UPRedsFan
12-29-2009, 04:23 PM
With the young talent, it seems this year makes sense that they're inactive. Jocketty's strategy is clearly to bank on pitching and defense and rely on youth.

He's improved the defense dramatically (and therefore improved the pitching) Rolen over Encarnacion, Stubbs over Taveras, Janish over Hairston. I think all those decisions make them a better team. Reds stand to have the best defense in the league next year with those additions.

Bruce/Stubbs/Dickerson will cover a lot of ground in the outfield. Nothing will get thru the left side of the infield. Phillips is the gold glover. Votto and Hernandez are at least average defenders. What will the pitching staff look like with those guys behind them? I do kind of like Janish at ss for that reason.

It's a gamble that the offense will come around. Bruce has to arrive and Stubbs has to prove the 6 weeks were for real. If not, it'll be another long season of inept offense. Rolen and Hernandez have to stay healthy, and somone has to step up in left field. Dusty needs to put Dickerson in left field and leave him there. He adds the OBP that the lineup sorely lacks. There's enough power elsewhere with Bruce, Votto, Phillips, Rolen.

If it's a middle of the pack offense, the pitching and defense should make them competitive. Unless of course they trade away Harang with no plan for who takes his innings!

vottofan4life
12-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Maybe trade Taveras to Yankees for Gaudin

BEETTLEBUG
12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I am up for that Taveras to Spanky's

Newport Red
12-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Maybe the Taveras signing was Dusty's way of making Votto a better two out hitter.

CesarGeronimo
12-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Maybe the Taveras signing was Dusty's way of making Votto a better two out hitter.

I still think Dusty made a huge mistake by not putting Hanigan in the two-hole. Hanigan had a good OBP (at least before he got hurt), but really struggled with runners on base. What to do? Bat him second behind Taveras so he can hit with the bases empty and get on base to get something started.