PDA

View Full Version : Encarnacion burnt in fireworks accident

Btrester151
01-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Per ESPN.com
Did not see this posted anywhere. Good thing hes ok, could have been alot worse

Firework explodes near infielder's faceComment Email Print Share By Enrique Rojas
ESPNdeportes.com
Archive

ORLANDO -- Toronto Blue Jays infielder Edwin Encarnacion was released Saturday from a Miami hospital after being treated for minor facial injuries caused by fireworks during the New Year's festivities in his native Dominican Republic.

Encarnacion

Encarnacion suffered first- and second-degree burns in the forehead and the right side of his face when a rocket firecracker hit him in the jaw and exploded near his mouth while celebrating with family in his home of La Romana.

"Thank God everything is OK with my face. I don't have any fractures or serious injuries and I won't need any kind of surgery," Encarnacion told ESPNdeportes.com on the phone while leaving Jackson Memorial Hospital.

According to Encarnacion, one of his brothers lit a rocket firecracker and instead of flying upwards it moved laterally, hitting Encarnacion.

"The doctors say that I'll have to spend one week out of the sun, but that I'll be able to work out without any problems in two weeks," Encarnacion said.

Encarnacion was initially treated in a Dominican emergency clinic and then transferred to Miami on Friday evening alongside his fiancee, Jennifer Pena, the eldest daughter of Yankees' bench coach Tony Pena.

"I was treated very well in Dominican Republic, but when the doctors started talking about facial surgery, I called my agent Paul Kinzer to get a private air charter and take me to a hospital that specialized in burns," Encarnacion explained.

Encarnacion, who will turn 27 next week, hit .225 with 13 HRs and 39 RBIs in 85 games with Cincinnati and Toronto in 2009.

"The kid is well. He was taken to the United States for precaution," Pena said from Santo Domingo.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

Zimmers
01-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Glad hes gone from the club but happy he is ok. It could have been tragic.

cbowen2112
01-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Stuff like this usually happened to Reds players, maybe this is sort of a passing of the torch, if you will.

Glad to hear it wasn't serious though.

gilpdawg
01-02-2010, 08:55 PM
What is it about former Reds named Encarnacion and bizarre incidents? Good thing this incident wasn't as bad as Juan's.

mroby85
01-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Apparently he's as accurate with fireworks as he is with his throws from 3rd to 1st. I knew Edwin would catch fire as soon as he left Cincinnati! lol jk.

George Foster
01-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Former Reds catcher in the late 80's was Bo Diaz. He died a strange death.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/11/24/sports/diaz-crushed-to-death-in-accident.html?pagewanted=1