PDA

View Full Version : Diamondbacks Releasing Eric Byrnes

TippyDrunks
01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
How about this option in leftfield for the Reds? If he can return from his injuries and play like he did in 2007 with this stats he produced that year:

Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
2007 ARI 160 626 103 179 30 8 21 83 57 98 50 7 .286 .353 .460 .813

What do you all think about this?

Vottomatic
01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Nah, stick with the plan. Continue to go young and give Heisey a shot at LF.

Ghosts of 1990
01-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Just say no. We have a lot of good young outfielders and this guy would just take at bats away before ending up money wasted on the DL

dusty29
01-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I agree with JayBruce32. Stick with the young talent in the outfield. Go get a SS to compliment B.Phillips. The corner's are locked for at least 2 more years. Pitching is good. Bullpen is solid.

BLEEDS
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
I was a big fan of getting Bynres when he was a FA. I think he fit well and was just coming into his own.

Unfortunately the injury bug hit as well as a major slump.

I'd LOVE to get him on the cheap - or trade Taveras, Lincoln, and some other bloated contracts for him!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

HalMorrisRules
01-15-2010, 07:21 PM
If he is being released the team picking him up would only pay the league minimum salary. The Diamondbacks are the ones paying his contract.

I would take a chance on Byrnes in a second. If he doesnt work out and you release him before the season, you don't pay him a nickel and if you release him during the season you only pay him pro-rated for the time he was on your roster.

mikemo14
01-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Would be worth a shot if for the minimum. I would still prefer Xavier Nady to a low end incentive laiden deal.

BLEEDS
01-16-2010, 01:12 AM
If he is being released the team picking him up would only pay the league minimum salary. The Diamondbacks are the ones paying his contract.

I would take a chance on Byrnes in a second. If he doesnt work out and you release him before the season, you don't pay him a nickel and if you release him during the season you only pay him pro-rated for the time he was on your roster.

Correct on that, but right now he has to clear waivers first. Any team picking up his waiver would have to negotiate a trade with the Dbacks first. He's not released yet.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

HalMorrisRules
01-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Correct on that, but right now he has to clear waivers first. Any team picking up his waiver would have to negotiate a trade with the Dbacks first. He's not released yet.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Yes of course, but I was basing my answer upon the title of the post which indicated that he had, in fact, been released already. Without a link to follow I was not aware of him only having been DFA'd.

TippyDrunks
01-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Sorry Guys I should have included this when I started the thread, Im still a newbie in started thread and I should have added a Question mark in the title. Greg

So here is the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Diamondbacks-releasing-Eric-Byrnes?urn=mlb,213808

BLEEDS
01-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes of course, but I was basing my answer upon the title of the post which indicated that he had, in fact, been released already. Without a link to follow I was not aware of him only having been DFA'd.

Well then I guess you're justified in mocking everybody else then. Good Job :thumbup:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

HalMorrisRules
01-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Well then I guess you're justified in mocking everybody else then. Good Job :thumbup:

Actually, you should have seen what I originally wrote but then toned down later. :D

BLEEDS
01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
He is DFA'd today, so now he can be picked up for league minimum.

Plus defense and some potential pop.

Let the kids continue to develop playing FT in the minors, versus having them platoon and/or come of the bench - i.e. "let them play everyday".

What do we have to lose in this one?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

chettt
01-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Since Byrnes was DFA'd today, I say bring him on board at league minimum. Let the kids play every day at Louisville. I have always liked his hustle. Maybe, his hustle can rub off on the youngsters & on one veteran that falls asleep on occasion.

DannyB
01-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Someone in the ORG had a good idea-thats to sign Byrnes at the minimum and dump Willy

somethingtony
01-20-2010, 11:22 PM
I would take him as a guy off the bench. Better then Wily, Rosales or Sutton pinch hitting.