PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Masset to 2 yr, $2.58M contract...

BLEEDS
01-16-2010, 06:36 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100116&content_id=7927476&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- The Reds signed reliever Nick Masset to a two-year, $2.58 million contract on Saturday that enabled the right-hander to avoid arbitration.

Masset will earn $1.035 million in 2010 and $1.545 million in '11 in a deal that also comes with performance-based bonuses. He already had reason to celebrate before getting his new contract.

On Jan. 9, Masset got married, and he was on his honeymoon in Maui with his new wife, Jennah, on Saturday when he got word a deal was reached.

"It's a nice little treat. We're really happy," said Masset, who earned $418,000 in 2009. "We started talking about it right after the season ended and then they talked here and there. We tried to get the ends to meet and came up with a number that worked for both of us. It's great."

While leading Cincinnati with 74 relief appearances, Masset was 5-1 with a 2.37 ERA over 76 innings last season.

"It was important to get him signed," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "We were glad to get a two-year deal. It gives him a little security and us some payroll security. He worked hard and deserved it. We're happy to get it done."

The 2009 season was one of incredible growth for Masset. He went to Spring Training seeking to be the fifth starter, but he didn't earn the job as he struggled as a starter. Masset began the season as a middle and long reliever, but he eventually rose into a primary setup role in the bullpen.

Of the 50 runners Masset inherited on the season, just 16 scored. A sinkerball pitcher, he was often called into tight situations to induce double plays.

Right-handed batters hit just .194 last season vs. Masset, and the right-hander did not allow a run over his final 12 appearances.

The Reds acquired Masset on July 31, 2008, in the trade that sent Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox.

"In my first couple of years in the big leagues, I didn't know what I was destined to do," Masset said. "I was tossed around as a long reliever or a starter. I never had an exact spot. Once I got here, I became a seventh-inning guy and then got into a setup role. That's where I found I'm at home. And now I feel like I have another family in Cincinnati. I'm excited about our team as a whole."

This was the first time Masset was eligible for arbitration, and his signing wipes out his first two arbitration years.

Reliever Jared Burton remains the lone Reds player eligible for arbitration. Teams are scheduled to exchange salary figures with their arbitration players Tuesday and Jocketty hoped to have a deal done before that happens.

"We are taking a little tougher approach," Jocketty said. "We're telling agents that we want to get deals done before the numbers are exchanged. Hopefully, it'll be done by Monday. If not, we're going to arbitration. We're not messing around with it. Too many agents want to exchange numbers so they can inflate them. We're not doing it anymore."

The Reds have had success avoiding arbitration in the past. The last Cincinnati player to go to a hearing was Chris Reitsma, who lost his case in 2004.
Good deal! I love the kid and hope he has great potential as a future closer!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Redsfan320
01-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Ah, you beat me to it by two minutes.

I'm glad to hear this. I like Masset.

BLEEDS
01-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah we even beat tORG! Normally those guys live here, so quite the coup!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

FlyerFanatic
01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
i like the signing as well. masset is decent

Kingspoint
01-16-2010, 08:39 PM
There we go.

Chris Sabowned
01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Not a bad price for someone that has been as effective as Masset. Having a good rotation doesn't do anything if you don't have a competent bullpen. Now lets hope we get Burton at a good price in arbitration.

ps. still no thread in the ORG

BigPoppa
01-16-2010, 08:46 PM
I like it. Nice little raise for Masset, and our closer of tomorrow gets some more time to season and mature while we still have Cordero.

Good deal all around, IMO.

Redsfan320
01-16-2010, 09:39 PM
tORG broke the story at 9:12 PM.

A difference of 2:36.

(just some friendly jarring guys ;))

gedred69
01-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Masset has so many potential roles that could continue, or develop in the next 2 years. Good signing.

Vottomatic
01-17-2010, 03:51 AM
He's worth every penny. (I hope)

Atleast he was last year.

Amazing that we got him in the KGJ trade.

97 mph fastball + a major league sinker. Less than a 2.50 e.r.a.

Still amazing. Cordero. Rhodes. Masset. Herrera. And hopefully Burton, Bray, and Lincoln.

Redsfan320
01-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Lincoln

NO. I would rather have Fisher.

I don't care that Lincoln was hurt, I'm not willing to risk it when we have someone as good and potentiality as good as Fisher.

mroby85
01-17-2010, 12:15 PM
I think this was a good signing. Not that expensive, and Massett was solid with above average stuff. The bullpen should be solid, I can't wait to see the starting rotation after Volquez is back, and Chapman is ready to go. Now we just need some offense.

Ghosts of 1990
01-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Turned out to be the best of returns for Ken Griffey Jr.

Hopefully he stays healthy and continues to develop as a set up guy; and if Coco is traded or not as effective we have a guy to give the closer role to

Ghosts of 1990
01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Still amazing. Cordero. Rhodes. Masset. Herrera. And hopefully Burton, Bray, and Lincoln.

Hopefully Lincoln? really?

Ohioballplayer
01-17-2010, 05:30 PM
a step in the right direction!

The Voice of IH
01-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Masset is our feature closer, I am glad that we have sgined him for 2 years, as oppose to the reds plan to get him for 1. a young strong arm, one of the greatest trades ever, Nick Masset for Ken Griffy Jr. Are you kidding me!?!?

Vottomatic
01-17-2010, 10:33 PM
a step in the right direction!

What? I f.... in your general direction? Whadya say?

(A little Holy Grail humor there);)

markymark69
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I definitely like this move. Masset is the kind of young, power arm that we need to keep in the organization. Sounds like pretty good value as well.