PDA

View Full Version : Reds/Braves 1995 NLCS

will5979
01-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Does anyone remember the reason the Reds had a horrible crowd for the NLCS in 95?

I went to the Friday night game vs. the Dodgers in the NLDS and the place was packed.

I couldn't come out to the NLCS cause it was during the week but the thing that always bothered me (besides losing obviously) was the fact that ALL the red seats in the outfield were empty for games 1 and 2 of the NLCS...does anyone remember why the fans did not pack those 2 postseason games?

goreds2
01-17-2010, 11:34 PM
The Dodger game was packed due to the end of an era of a great rivalry because they were no longer in the same division. That game 3 of best of 5 is what clinched that series for our Reds.

I am not sure what the attendance issue was for the NLCS.

Attendance for the first two games were 40,382 and 44,624.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1995_NLCS.shtml

mdccclxix
01-18-2010, 01:20 AM
I seem to recall this and the media chastising the fanbase. I think there was a lot of doubt about their chances?

Wow, considering games 1 and 2 in Cincy went into extras, they could have written history much differently...

will5979
01-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I think there was a lot of doubt about their chances?

I remember the day of Game 1...I was in high school and was watching sportscenter while getting ready for school. Peter Gammons predicted a slight edge in that series to Cincinnati because of their great offense. Unfortunately he was wrong. Because of bandwagon Braves fans that bragged that year I still hate that franchise with a passion to this day. I make it a point every year to attend a Reds/Braves game.

Last year was great because I attended the game with 2 of the bandwagoners that I was referring to and Micah Owens hit a 3 run jack to beat those b@$t@rds!

will5979
01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
I seem to recall this and the media chastising the fanbase.

AS well they should have, shame on the Cincinnati fanbase for not supporting them in the playoffs. Like I said before I would have been there, but I live in WV, the game was during the week, and I was in high school at the time.

Caveman Techie
01-18-2010, 11:17 AM
I think in large part it was due to the strike which had wiped out the season the previous year. A lot of fans were still mad about that and refused to support MLB at the time. MLB lost almost 20 Million ticket sales in 1995 as compared to 1993 which was the last full season before the strike.

DannyB
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm pretty sure The Reds made buying tickets somewhat difficult-like you had to buy for the series minimum of 4 seats and they werent cheap.I could be wrong but I think thats why I didnt go.