PDA

View Full Version : Reds agree to terms with Burton

robmadden1
01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
The Reds took care of an important piece of business on Monday, coming to terms with right-handed reliever Jared Burton on a one-year deal and avoiding arbitration.

"Jared has done a great job in our bullpen the last few seasons, and we're counting on him again in 2010," Reds GM Walt Jocketty said. "We're glad to have signed Burton and Nick Masset before going to arbitration. Neither side wanted to go to a hearing."

Burton, 28, posted a 4.40 ERA in 53 relief appearances last year and spent time on the disabled list in July and August with a fatigued right shoulder. After he came off the DL on Aug. 10, Burton posted a 2.35 ERA over 22 appearances, including a 1.20 ERA in his last 15 games of the year.

In three seasons with the Reds, Burton is 10-3 with a 3.47 ERA in 154 appearances, all in relief.

Masset, also a right-handed reliever, was the only other Reds player eligible for arbitration, and on Saturday he signed a two-year contract.

The Reds have now settled their last six arbitration cases with players over the past two winters, with Burton and Masset this year and right-handers David Weathers and Matt Belisle plus third baseman Edwin Encarnacion and second baseman Brandon Phillips last year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100118&content_id=7933744&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin&partnerId=rss_cin

BLEEDS
01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
okay, how long before tORG figures it out and posts it...;)

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Red in Atl
01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Good move...important to go into the season with all signed...

Glove o' Gold
01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
I like our bullpen depth.

Say we trade Cordero, who do you think is most likely to step in as closer?

Masset? Carlos Fischer? I like them both.

Big Tuna
01-18-2010, 08:53 PM
I like our bullpen depth.

Say we trade Cordero, who do you think is most likely to step in as closer?

Masset? Carlos Fischer? I like them both.

In that situation I'd take Masset, but I don't really see Cordero being dealt until the Reds are out of the race.

Kingspoint
01-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Good, good, good.

The REDS have been very good at picking the right relievers the last few years. I have to trust them in this area whether I agree with them or not. Basically, because it's impossible to tell how well a relief pitcher is going to be the next season based on any stats from the previous season. You have to be seeing them in person and direct access to them. Though it would have been great to have Roenicke this season.

Kingspoint
01-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Welcome, "Big Tuna", and "Glove O' Gold".

You'll find most people here really like "The Office", and most people also understand the need for Defense (one, because it's cheaper than Offense both for the batters and for the pitchers that can be brought here) for the REDS to ever contend.

Anyway, you'll both find that the "Minor League" section of Redszone is a lot of fun and a lot more informative than either the "Old RED Guard", or the "Sun Deck", as REDS' fans, our Minor Leaguers are always as important as our Major League players and all members of REDSZONE contribute to the threads.

If you're a new member and have never been here before, it's a very mild site with little tolerance for any type of Barroom talk, but if you're previous posters who wanted to change your name, then you obviously understand that.

mroby85
01-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I'd say an important piece of business as written in the article is a major overstatement. Burton was terrible last year. He was bad enough he got sent down, on more than one occasion I think. I'm not real excited about this signing, but the bullpen should be fine with or without him so it doesn't really matter. I just hope they didn't pay him much.