PDA

View Full Version : Damon Courting the Reds

jimbo
01-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Boras and Damon are trying to engage the Detroit Tigers and Cincinnati Reds as possible alternatives, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Cincinnati's outfield alignment currently consists of Jay Bruce in right field, Drew Stubbs in center field and Chris Dickerson in left. The Reds' leadoff hitters also ranked last in the major leagues with a .650 OPS in 2009.

The catch is, the Reds and Tigers don't appear to have much money left in the budget. Both clubs have been economizing this offseason, and that might be truer than ever now that Cincinnati has signed Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman and Detroit has added closer Jose Valverde. Both teams would probably have to get creative to make a run at Damon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4861828

I hope the Reds are considering this. I'm all for it if the price is right.

CRedsLarkin11
01-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Just depends on what they think I guess. If you really think we have a shot this year, get Damon (which as a fan I can't help but be excited about that) but if not, you might as well give a prospect a shot such as Heisey or even a Balentien. The problem is, if history repeats itself, the Reds will wait and let Damon sign somewhere else then sign some over the hill vet at a minor league contract who will take at bats away from our prospects.

Redsfan320
01-27-2010, 12:02 PM
If he would come, I'd love to have him here.

He'd fill that 2nd hole in the batting order, and be an answer to the LF problem.

On the other hand, it does block Heisey, etc., but if the price is right, I'm all for it.

BTW, jimbo, you beat tORG by 3 minutes! ;)

mattfeet
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
What price would be "right" in your opinion? I say nothing more than 1-2 year 5mil/year deal. Anything over that is sorely overpaying IMO.

-Matt

Redsfan320
01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
That sounds about right. 1-2 yr. 4-5 M. If he'd settle for 3.5 or 4, that would be great, but I'd say he's worth more than the great Willy Taveras.

mattfeet
01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Oh without a doubt. What would happen financially to the Reds if Willy had an "accident" and could no longer play baseball? (not that he can now, but anyways...)

-Matt

reds77
01-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Sure the guy cannot hit the cut-off man when throwing one in from LF, but I'm worth the risk if the price is right for his bat in LF.

malcontent
01-27-2010, 02:15 PM
No Damon. Please.

:pray:

fewfirstchoice
01-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Id give him a 2 yr 13mil. deal. 6 mil 2010 and 7 mil 2011.

Redsfan320
01-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Id give him a 2 yr 13mil. deal. 6 mil 2010 and 7 mil 2011

That's a little high, don't you think. I don't know if Bob can manage to open his checkbook that much after doing it for Chapman.

Redsfan320
01-27-2010, 02:33 PM
No Damon. Please.

Why? If we can get him for under 5 M a yr., we've got a good 2nd hitter. (MUCH better than Janish, at least), and it would let Janish bat 8th, where we could keep him in the line-up.

bounty37h
01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I say no just to say "F you" to Boras

Caveman Techie
01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
As has been stated before, it only makes sense if you think the Reds can make a real run at the division title this year. Otherwise, let the youngun's play.

Glove o' Gold
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
We have too many in house options to go after Damon. I would think that at least 1 of Heisey, Dickerson, Frazier, Francisco, Nix, Anderson, or Alonso could step up and fill our hole in left.

SidneySlicker
01-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I'd do it for a reasonable contract something in the 1-2 years 4-5mil range. Doubt that'd get it done. He'd probably put up decent numbers at GABP and he'd be a tradeable commodity if the Reds fail to contend. I'd keep Stubbs in center and look at Damon in left with Dickerson as the 4th outfielder.

BLEEDS
01-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Damon is a sure bet to RAKE in GABP, no question about it. He could bat leadoff and let Stubbs bat second.

You could almost live with Janish in the 8 hole then - although I'd still advocate OCAB as a contingency as well.

The young guns would be best served by full years in AAA, and knock on the door in September.

IMO, a Damon 2 year deal (2nd year option with $1M buyout) would be the best possible thing. A one year deal probably has him playing balls to the wall for a bigger payday in 2011 elsewhere.

LF is a huge question mark right now. Damon is a solid, no doubt, answer.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

FlyerFanatic
01-27-2010, 03:36 PM
ummm if the yankees are telling damon no, because he's asking for to much. how will the reds get him? lost cause, dont want him anyways. let the young core play/gain experience

defender
01-27-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't know if the Reds have the money, but I think Damon would be worth it, up to 6mil.

Farnsie
01-27-2010, 03:40 PM
The Yankees reached an agreement with outfielder Randy Winn on a one-year deal, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

Well, I guess that rules 'em out. Or?

jimbo
01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Glad to hear the Yankees went a different route.

I think signing Damon makes plenty of sense. You bring in a known commodity with playoff experience, and it permits the Reds to keep the youngsters where they belong instead of rushing them before they are ready. I see some in-house possibilities, but I'm tired at throwing in young players and hoping they stick.

Sign Cabrera along with Damon, and I see this team as being a legitimate contender.

NeilHamburger
01-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I go to Arroyo and see if he is willing to renegotiate his deal for a few more years while dropping a few million off this years deal. If so, there's your money for Damon.

CySeymour
01-27-2010, 04:14 PM
You bring in a known commodity with playoff experience

Why does playoff experience matter?

TracyJonesFan
01-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Dump Arroyo's contract for a SS or C prospect. Then you can sign Damon and Cabrarea with the money saved.

malcontent
01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
We have too many in house options to go after Damon. I would think that at least 1 of Heisey, Dickerson, Frazier, Francisco, Nix, Anderson, or Alonso could step up and fill our hole in left.
I agree with this.

I get the Willie Ts when it comes to Damon. He's old and been protected forever in those Bosox and Yankee lineups.

Kingspoint
01-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I say no just to say "F you" to Boras

No kidding.

Alpha Zero
01-27-2010, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't mind having Damon, but I'm a bit torn since I want to see the young guys play as well. He'd probably be a good gamble at $ 3 MM, but I wouldn't pay much more than that for him. He'd give the Reds a pretty solid 1-6 in their lineup even though they are still lacking a true cleanup guy.

Kingspoint
01-27-2010, 06:12 PM
That left side defense could give up a lot of doubles and singles with Damon and Rolen out there.

I'd rather have Dickerson's Offense and Defense along with our other young Left Fielders who need to get some playing time. Some guy named Heisey is going to have to get some at-bats. And, it's still possible that Votto or Alonso will have to get some at-bats in Left Field this season, though I just can't picture Alonso playing Left Field any better than Canseco played Right Field. The A's got away with winning a couple of AL Championships that way. Maybe the REDS can, too.

fugowitribe
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM

If you weren't watching last year, Dickerson, Nix, and a few of the other guys (although on short time) are the hole in LF.

double21d
01-28-2010, 05:42 AM
You have to question a 2 year contract for Damon. I'd love to see it as a one year contract. The market is getting thinner by the day and there are fewer and fewer teams willing to shell out money. Bottom line is the Reds should fill in one of these "holes"-SS or LF.

texasdave
01-28-2010, 07:44 AM
I have been watching the news and there has been no mention of hell freezing over as of yet. I am not holding my breath in anticipation of the Reds signing Damon.

lucky bugle boy
01-28-2010, 07:54 AM
I would love for the Reds to sign Damon. The only concern is his arm in left field.

My thought is we tried the "we'll see who will work out amongst a bunch of options" in left field last year, and it took a long time to find the solution (Gomes with others occasionally) that was productive. With Damon, we know there will be production from that position from the start. He gets on base, which this team needs more of. He'd be great towards the top of the lineup.

As for contract, obviously it would have to be more than the $2 million the Yanks offered. I'd say $4-$5 million a year, ideally a one year deal, but I'd go two years with Damon if that was a demand on his side.

As others have said, it gives the kids time to develop also.

travisgrimes
01-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Here's the problem I have. His 24 home runs last year have everyone excited but he was hitting in a launching pad for lefty hitters. He has a poor arm in left, has lost most of his speed, and doesn't hit as many home runs as some may think. I say pass and give Heisey and Francisco a shot in left field.

BLEEDS
01-28-2010, 09:25 AM
No kidding.

That's a good reason not to add a 3-4 WAR player for $5M or so.

Anybody who thinks going after Damon for that amount of money is a bad idea really has no idea what baseball metrics are all about.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Zimmers
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I doubt the reds sign him but if they did i would be wrapped. You can say hes getting up there in age but his bat hasn slowed down yet. Gabp would be a great fit for him and he would slot in perfect in the lineup. Go get him!

Mr.MojoRisin
02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Wish we could get some good players loyal to the team Damon is great, but he definatly has no loyalty. What ever happend to players who stayed with the team no matter what?

stripedwarrior
02-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Wish we could get some good players loyal to the team Damon is great, but he definatly has no loyalty. What ever happend to players who stayed with the team no matter what?

It's called free agency, Agents, and money.

mlh1981
02-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Sadly, that ship sailed a long time ago :(

reds77
02-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Like others said. Those days are gone. Seems Gwynn, Ripken, and Larkin were the last of players spending a long and successful career with one team. Ichiro so far might end up as a major league player playing entirely with one team as an impact player/superstar/potential hall of famer.

But back to the thread. Despite his flaws, I'd like to see the Reds sign Damon. If the Reds are already putting older guys out there every day like Rolen and Cabrera, lets commit to another vet and see it the vets, and younger players can put together a run at the wild card.

PhatHead
02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I would take Damon for 3 mil and maybe a mutual option for next year. But he couldn't run before he got to the Yankees and his arm has always been a concern. I don't want to sign anybody that we can't afford to jettison (ala Taveras).

Vottomatic
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Great defense in right field and center field and then Damon and his bum arm in left field.

Just say no to Damon. We have younger options with better defense and high offensive ceilings (Heisey, Francisco).

smoke6
02-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Im all for it....

Carolina Red
02-02-2010, 03:53 PM
I wonder if Bronson Arroyo has talked with Damon about coming? Weren't they teammates back in the day with Boston?

Zimmers
02-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Im a damon supporter as i said previously. I think even if you sign him at 4 to 5 million its a good deal. If he works out and were in contention its a win. If we stink there is going to be a team that wants him at the trade deadline. Hes a proven vet, with a ton of post season expirence. A win, win situation imo

RoundingThird
02-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Has anyone heard anything new on this? From everything I hear, it looks like Damon is heading to motor city.

BLEEDS
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

02/03/10 5:35 PM EST

As the free-agent pool continues to dry up, and Spring Training draws even closer, here are some of Wednesday's Hot Stove happenings as teams work on their rosters.

Damon in Detroit: Inevitable? Not really.
Yes, folks, Johnny Damon is still out there to be had. But the Tigers aren't biting just yet. General manager Dave Dombrowski reiterated Tuesday to The Detroit News that the club is "not close to making any kind of deals at this point." The News added that Damon's agent, Scott Boras, and Dombrowski have not yet discussed the 36-year-old outfielder's interest in coming to Detroit, so it remains unclear what kind of contract it would take to sign him. Damon was reportedly looking for something in the two-year, $11 million range.

After obviously miscalculating the market for Damon -- still a very productive hitter and on-base threat, but up there in age and perceived by some as a liability on the field -- Boras has reportedly been trying to get the Tigers involved by piquing the interest of owner Mike Ilitch, like he did for clients Ivan Rodriguez and Magglio Ordonez. Although it's hard to gauge at this point, FOXSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi said it's "a distinct possibility" that Damon ends up in Detroit. As Morosi pointed out, now that the Yankees are out of the picture and Damon's price has perceivably dropped, Dombrowski's tone has gone from denying interest to generalities like, "We're always open to improving our club."

Boras confirmed to MLB.com's Jason Beck over the weekend that Damon has interest in heading to the Motor City. An agreement between the two makes sense -- the Tigers have a need in left field and at the top of the order, and Damon is a career .363 hitter at Comerica Park. But whether something can actually get done is still a big question.

<<<<<>>>>>>

two years $11M - only $5.5M per. I think we could afford that. Perhaps we aren't willing to give a guaranteed 2 year deal though considering our prospects should have been able to produce a solid MLB-er by 2011.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Griffey012
02-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Great defense in right field and center field and then Damon and his bum arm in left field.

Just say no to Damon. We have younger options with better defense and high offensive ceilings (Heisey, Francisco).

I agree with you on the defensive part. But come on, Heisey or Francisco will not put up better offensive numbers than Johnny Damon this season.

Neither one of those two will beat .280/.350/.450 if they do they will hands down be the rookie of the year.

As weak as Damon's arm is his fielding is still usually better than league average. And out left field is not a big place. He doesn't need to can a dart into home to throw someone out, just get it into the cutoff quick.

Red in Atl
02-04-2010, 05:26 PM
If you go the signing route, I'd rather have Dye over Damon.

I would be happy going to Gomes route, as I think he's a great team player and will contribute even more offensively than he did last year.

But I really believe that a Heisey/Dickerson platoon or Heisey/Francisco or just Heisey out there will be fine, now that Walt has finished up the rest of the team.

Griffey012
02-05-2010, 02:35 AM
If you go the signing route, I'd rather have Dye over Damon.

I would be happy going to Gomes route, as I think he's a great team player and will contribute even more offensively than he did last year.

But I really believe that a Heisey/Dickerson platoon or Heisey/Francisco or just Heisey out there will be fine, now that Walt has finished up the rest of the team.

I feel like this is a typical example of us Reds fans feeling like what we have is more valuable than what we really have. Nobody on this board can say they would be mad if Bobby opened up the check book and signed Damon. And if you would really rather have Heisey, Francisco, or whoever else may man LF, then I guess I will see you in 2011 because 2010 is not your interest.

I understand trying to develop the future and what not, and i am as pumped to see our up and coming prospects as anyone, but as much as I dislike all Yankee players, Johnny Damon is a gamer who is easily a 3 WAR player. If you would prefer Heisey of Juan, then I do not believe you want to win now. Damon on a 1 or 2 year contract will not and cannot stunt the growth of our team, he is a great player.

Kingspoint
02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

An American League executive told MLive.com Thursday that free agent outfielder Johnny Damon will be "lucky to get whatever he gets."

"I can’t believe anybody is going to offer Damon more than the $14 million and $6 million the Yankees did," said the unnamed executive. "If you turn them down for that, you deserve one year for $3 million or whatever he is going to get. In February, teams have got guys in place. My feeling is that now he is going to be lucky to get whatever he gets." Damon hit .282/.365/.489 with 24 homers and 107 runs scored last year but has drawn little interest from teams at his current asking price, whatever it may be.

Kingspoint
02-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Nobody on this board can say they would be mad if Bobby opened up the check book and signed Damon.

I would.

It'd be a waste of money, money they claim they don't have, which I'm sure they don't have.

goreds2
02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
I would.

It'd be a waste of money, money they claim they don't have, which I'm sure they don't have.

I would say, the longer Damon waits, the lower the price tag will be.

Vottomatic
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I would.

I agree. Another probable overpayment of an old player.

Meanwhile, we have this improved farm system kicking out Votto's, Cueto's, Bruce's, Stubbs, Dickerson's, Hanigan's, Maloney's, Wood's, Heisey's, Francisco's..............

Let's get on with the future.

I understand the Rolen and Cabrera moves. Rolen served to get rid of EE, which needed to be done. And we have no legit offensive SS, so we needed Cabrera and it was cheap.

But we have options for LF.

If the Reds sign Damon, I say it's to sell tickets more than it is to win. It will remind me of BC signing Dusty Baker to $3M per year just to make a splash with the fans. Where'd that get them? It got them having the CFer bat first and the SS bat second even when their OBP's stunk.

DannyB
02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Looks like Atlanta is interested
http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=cincinnati&sParam=37495184.story