PDA

View Full Version : Sheldon: Alonso may become catcher?

Redsfan320
01-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Per ORG. Per Sheldon's twitter.

Dusty told Sheldon that the organization has been considering moving Alonso to catcher. I like this.

We wouldn't have this problem with him and Votto, and he'd compliment Hanigan nicely.

mattfeet
01-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Take it with a grain of salt, Ill believe it when I see it.

-Matt

berryluther
01-30-2010, 09:31 PM
There is a reason UM turned him into a first baseman.

gilpdawg
01-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Things like this is what losing organizations do. If you don't believe he can be your first baseman, or you don't wanna move Joey, then he MUST be moved for another piece that can help this team.

roby
01-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Believe it or not, I wondered about this before. I dont think that it is necessarily a "loser organization" idea. It may work out to be one of the smartest moves ever. Who knows. evidently somebody with some baseball intellect thinks it could work. If his bat is that special, it may be worth a try. If he can't Catch...maybe left field.

markymark69
01-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Things like this is what losing organizations do. If you don't believe he can be your first baseman, or you don't wanna move Joey, then he MUST be moved for another piece that can help this team.

Yeah moving Pete Rose to all those different positions was a bad move. Those loser Reds of the 1970's were crazy for doing that.

gilpdawg
01-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah moving Pete Rose to all those different positions was a bad move. Those loser Reds of the 1970's were crazy for doing that.

Catching is different then going from 2B to LF to 3B, guy.

Orodle
01-30-2010, 11:49 PM
stupid idea.....its hard enough for a player who isnt a catcher to make that move in high school......and we are talking about professional baseball. stupid stupid stupid...doesnt surprise me Dusty said it.

Ohioballplayer
01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
He was moved to 1st base because his lack of arm strength. I agree with berryluther.

BLEEDS
01-31-2010, 12:50 PM
stupid idea.....its hard enough for a player who isnt a catcher to make that move in high school......and we are talking about professional baseball. stupid stupid stupid...doesnt surprise me Dusty said it.

He was a catcher in HS.

Apparently, this kid is so athletic that the only position suited for him is DH.

We drafted this kid for his bat, but he apparently can't do anything in the field.

I think it was half-joking on Dusty's part, but IMO it signals some frustration with the kids Defense - or obvious lack thereof.

This just solidifies my feelings that this kid should be moved - along with one of our Harang or Arroyo pending FA's - at the trade deadline this year for a long-term answer somewhere else.

We have enough prospects at LF/3B - and Votto should be manning 1B for the next 10 years - so this kid's best Asset for this organization is in a trade.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

markymark69
01-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Catching is different then going from 2B to LF to 3B, guy.

True. But your point was that losing organizations do something like this. Not true and that was my point.

I think they are looking at ways to try to get Alonso in the bigs and that Votto is not going anywhere, nor should he.

The other option would be trade Alonso (which most everyone on this board would go nuts if it happened, because we would never get enough in return). But IMO the Reds want to see if he can make this switch. It's not exactly like we've got catcher's in the minor leagues that are knocking on the door to the big leagues.

Redlegs Homer
01-31-2010, 04:44 PM
I do not like this. He's a first baseman. Keep him there. Votto could play left. Alonso is not a catcher. Like others have said, he does not have the arm.

Redsfan320
01-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Apparently someone from tORG had a friend at a winter caravan today ask Walt about it, and Walt said he'd heard nothing about it all.

Maybe it was just a joke from the Dusty?

gedred69
01-31-2010, 10:24 PM
He was a catcher in HS.

I think it was half-joking on Dusty's part, but IMO it signals some frustration with the kids Defense - or obvious lack thereof.

This just solidifies my feelings that this kid should be moved - along with one of our Harang or Arroyo pending FA's - at the trade deadline this year for a long-term answer somewhere else.

We have enough prospects at LF/3B - and Votto should be manning 1B for the next 10 years - so this kid's best Asset for this organization is in a trade.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Yes, Yes, and yes. Exactly what my thoughts are. His bat has to draw attention somewhere, that doesn't already have a Joey Votto.

Kingspoint
02-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Take it with a grain of salt, Ill believe it when I see it.

-Matt

Yeah.

And, Jim Bowden will be the next Commissioner.

:D

PhatHead
02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
IMHO there is no way this happens. Catchers have brains and cannons. Hitting is a bonus with them, not the other way around. I'm not saying Alonso doesn't have the mental capacity, but you gotta learn to think like a catcher.

Mr Larkin
02-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Sounds like a stretch to me. I don't know if Yonder can stretch at all.

Kingspoint
02-02-2010, 03:49 AM
I do not like this. He's a first baseman. Keep him there. Votto could play left. Alonso is not a catcher. Like others have said, he does not have the arm.

I'm sure they know this. It's probably no more than precaution that they might be missing something, so just from a pure investment standpoint, you'd want to take a look at him at all of the other "possible" options and just see if he has the skills that could pull any of them off. You just never know until you try.

I'm guessing that Votto has been very cold to the idea of moving to Left Field, otherwise they wouldn't have had to do this. It's different being a minor leaguer when Votto moved to Left Field, but it's tougher to get him over there. They've already seen his mind get pretty rattled to where it effected his body when he became too uncomfortable dealing with his father. Before messing with the move to left by Votto, they want to be 100% sure that Alonso can't play at a "below average" level somewhere else. As, they would take "below average" in order to get Alonso's bat into this lineup. They must exhaust all possibilities for getting Alonso and Votto into the same lineup before considering trading Alonso. He's going to be a very good Major Leaguer. You don't want to trade that away at this early of an age because you can get a lot more for him as each year passes and his "risk-factor" declines because he proves his Major League value.

Kingspoint
02-02-2010, 03:51 AM

Yes, but he doesn't have to be moved until you've exhausted all possibilities that you can't get him and Votto into the same lineup. As each year passes, Alonso's trade value increases because his "risk factor" of how good he will be as a Major Leaguer declines (unless he sucks, but that's the point.....as time goes by he'll prove less and less that he won't suck, and his trade value will increase).

texasdave
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Alonso got the nickname Yonder courtesy his catching skills or lack thereof. Every time the ball got past him he had to run way back Yonder to fetch it. I know he claims that Yonder is his real name. But, come on, is anybody buying that?

mlh1981
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
usually, guys will transition from catcher, to playing elsewhere. How often do guys move from the field to behind the plate? Seems like a VERY difficult transition to make.

flash
02-03-2010, 07:46 AM
if the Reds want to try Alonso behind the plate in Carolina, that is fine with me. I don't see what the hubbub is all about. If it works great, if not, oh well

Girevik
02-03-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm not a big fan of moving a big bat to catcher. I'd rather see a team take a catcher with a big bat and move him from behing the plate to somewhere else. Catchers need so many days off I hate to have one of your top bats out of the lineup that often.

WildcatFan
02-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Let him rake at AAA and move him when his stock is through the roof. He and a couple AA prospects should command a big-time pitcher

yab1112
02-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I have no problem with them trying it. What do you have to lose? That having been said, I doubt it will work but you never know. If they don't move him from first, the other side of this is most likely Votto in left. What kind of defender is he out there?

ian_madden
02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I think moving votto to LF is just like moving BP to ss, it will weaken the defense. I agree that Votto is a better athlete than Yonder, but that doesn't mean that you move him to your weak spot on the field. Votto could be one of the best 1st baseman in baseball, offense and defense. We need to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision. Is Yonder's bat really worth weakening our already weak defense?

Oxilon
02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Even if this a rumor and it's not going to come to fruition, this still speaks volumes about Devin Mesoraco and his progress. Are the Reds that worried about the future of the Catcher position that they're willing to risk the future of one of their better propsects by taking a round plug and fitting it into a square hole? I really don't follow the minors that much, but is Mosoraco considered a bust (And no sugarcoating; well he's a catcher so they take a while to develop)?

And for what it's worth, somebody already mentioned it, but when I instantly read this, i thought of the Austin Kearns to 3rd base proposition. If moving an OF to 3B didn't work out, I don't see how moving a 1B to C is.

RoundingThird
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
While I am interested in the concept, there's no way in the world this happens.