PDA

View Full Version : With new mindset, Janish reports early

robmadden1
02-18-2010, 06:26 PM
GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Paul Janish and his wife made a 17-hour drive from Houston to Arizona without an overnight stop on Wednesday. A couple of weeks ago, it could have been deduced that Janish was excited about going into Spring Training as the Reds' starting shortstop.

Once veteran free-agent shortstop Orlando Cabrera was signed on Feb. 1, however, Janish's role changed dramatically. Still, he was an early arrival on Thursday and eager to get to work.

While pitchers and catchers started their first day of camp, Janish was on another field taking ground balls -- still at shortstop.

"It's just change of mentality," Janish said before going outside. "I have to get into the mindset of being a utility guy again, a guy that comes off the bench later in the game or if something happens. That's really it. The writing was on the wall. Orlando is obviously a pretty decorated player that has been in the big leagues a long time. He's a good player. Anything that makes the team better means we're going in the right direction."

A superb fielder, Janish had a Major League-leading .995 fielding percentage after he took over in August for Alex Gonzalez.

But Janish had a couple of things working against him already in his winter bid to be the regular shortstop. The 27-year-old batted only .211 in 90 games last season. The Reds were also a team that had trouble offensively. They didn't have enough hitters to bat around Janish, who did show improvement with his bat down the stretch. He also hit 21 doubles in 256 at-bats overall.

The need for offense won out.

"It was a little disheartening," Janish said. "If you had asked me in November if we would probably sign somebody, I would have said yes. Obviously the timing of this was so close to Spring Training. I went through the offseason thinking of something else. It is what it is. It's the way it works. I'm a pretty positive guy. I have the mentality that as long as I'm on the team helping us win, that's a good thing. What else can you do?

"Orlando is going to play, which is fine. That's how it is. I will try to use the time I have to keep getting better and going in the right direction. So that when the opportunity comes again to play, I am ready for it."

http://reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100218&content_id=8094196&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin&partnerId=rss_cin

Chris Sabowned
02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm guessing he'll still have a bigger role at the beginning of the year than he did last year. He barely saw any action in April/May last year.

TC81190
02-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Early? But this is when pitchers and catchers are supposed to report.

ian_madden
02-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Personally I LOVE having arguably the best defensive player in the majors on our bench. We can put him in the 7th inning in a double switch and Owings hit and pitch. How funny is that, we actually would prefer a pitcher hitting than a position player.

JayBruceFan
02-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Early? But this is when pitchers and catchers are supposed to report.

He pitched in 2 games last year
:D

Vottomatic
02-19-2010, 07:08 AM
.........and struck out several players while giving up some runs too. He's no slouch as a pitcher. He's just rusty. LOL.

PhillipsHead
02-19-2010, 12:02 PM
He showed up early to work on his glove?????

He's got that twisted. He's got a phenominal glove, but he should have been hitting the cages ASAP....and working on that .211 average.

mlh1981
02-20-2010, 12:45 AM
17 hours straight? Good god, man!

Altsciguy
04-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Personally I like Janish. he is young, quick gets on the ball fast and has a rifle of an arm. I realize his hitting has left a lot to be desired and the dropped ball verse the cubs does not help his cause. But overall I think he is a great prospect. Not completely there yet but last night he had some good at plates and very good defensive plays. I am hoping he gets more play time because with that I think he will improve and become a solid SS for the reds. oh and more AAA ball is not what he needs he has that level down pat. He needs MLB play time. Thoughts? and yes I accept "your crazy man" lol

DaytonFlyer
04-15-2010, 08:27 AM
No arguments from me after that homer last night. Janish was the offense last night. I look forward to seeing him start again in 11 days. :rolleyes:

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Cabrera has been playing great everyone needs to chill out on this Janish fest.

DaytonFlyer
04-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Cabrera's also 176 years old.

176!!!!

CRedsLarkin11
04-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Janish plays pretty well defensively and doesn't hit much at this level. Yes, he had a great night but that doesn't make him a good hitter. Shortstop is very weak right now across the majors offensively so Janish would actually be on par to be in the lower half of the league as far as starters go if he was the Reds shortstop. Cabrera can potentially be top 10 and that is why he is the starter. I like Janish on the bench but this is where he belongs with spot starts every now and then/defensive replacement late in games.

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2010, 11:56 AM

176!!!!

Janish isn't the SS of the future either so it doesn't matter what the age is.

Jack Burton
04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Janish deserves to start of over the new guy, bad signing.

bgwilly31
04-15-2010, 01:36 PM
after last night. I cant imagine how you wouldnt be inclined to give him more of a chance.

BigJohn
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
I said it last year, move BP to short and play Janish at 2nd full time. I don't care what he hits.

UPRedsFan
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Why would you swap BP and Janish? Leave them where they're at.

But I agree Janish should get more playing time. If he can hit even close to Cabrera expectations he should be the starter with his better defense.

NorrisHopper30
04-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Cabrera is second on the team with RBI and everyone's screamin for his head..he should be first if it weren't for that great grab.

malcontent
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM

176!!!!
That's only 28 in Colombian years.

malcontent
04-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Cabrera is second on the team with RBI and everyone's screamin for his head..he should be first if it weren't for that great grab.
Dude certainly seems to have a way with RBI opps.