PDA

View Full Version : Gomes has signed!

SidneySlicker
02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Good deal.

As tweeted by John Fay

Gomes, #Reds have agreed. He'll be here today for a physical.

mattfeet
02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
I came in here to post this. Great offseason, Walt. Well done.

-Matt

yab1112
02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Finally. Whether or not it works out I'm glad the waiting is over. Now lets get some ST games going!

FlyerFanatic
02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
why exactly did it take so long? how many teams were after him? i remember reading the cubs were, but they signed nady i think, so he was out of the running there.

brachial pleXUs
02-22-2010, 01:47 PM
This better not be a sick, sick joke.

EDIT: And by that I mean getting our hopes up if he hasn't really signed, not like how a Corey Patterson signing thread would be a sick, sick joke.

SidneySlicker
02-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Well, looks like I found the right time to get HD and my big screen tv. I'm excited about this season and plan on watching many games. Wish i was closer to Cincy so that I could make it to more games in person, but so life goes.

TheBigLebowski
02-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Although his game violates every principle of Bakermetrics for which I proudly stand, I am very happy to have him back.

SidneySlicker
02-22-2010, 02:01 PM
CTrent is reporting Gomes arrived with a Mohawk. lol. Anyone else getting excited about this year from a team chemistry standpoint? I think we are gonna have a team that hustles and genuinely loves to play the game. Not that hustle and loving the game equates to wins, but I think there is enough young talent here to make things interesting. My guess is 83 wins for the year if the starting rotation stays healthy.

Hey Meat
02-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Good deal.

SidneySlicker
02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
just tweeted
ctrent gomes deal is a big league deal, no move yet

jkroell45
02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
With this being the case how do you guys think our lineup goes? I've been struggling to come up with the best potential lineup and here is how i have it, given the gomes deal goes through.

1. Stubbs
2. Cabrerra
3. BPhils
4. Votto
5. Bruce
6. Rolen
7. Gomes
8. Hernandez/Hanigan

All of the posts that i've looked at always seem to have phillips batting 4th. I think that him batting 4th changes his mentality and takes him out of his game. I'd like to see him in the 3 spot or 2 when janish is at short. i think the 3 spot is great spot for a 20/20, once 30/30 guy like bphils. And i'm also not sure why no one puts votto in the 4th spot. your 4 spot is your clean up guy that can get the runners in. votto is by far our best guy for driving in runs, as shown with his .336 BA w/ RISP and he put up 25 homers in a limited season. I'm hoping bruce can turn it around and we can put him in the 4 spot but as of now i think this is our best bet. our 1-3 are our speed guys who all get 20+ steals and 3-7 all getting 20+ homers. sounds like a good season to me. loving the fact that we have so many weapons that it's tough to put together the best lineup. Go redlegs!!

BLEEDS
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
'Bout darn time.

He provides a power RH bat, part-time/bench/platoon in LF/whatever...

Personally, I'm hoping he wins the LF job outright, and we can let The Battle be between Dickerson and Stubbs for CF duty.

It will be interesting to see who makes the rest of the bench spots between Miles/Sutton/Nix/Balentein. Janish you pretty much have to pencil in.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

CySeymour
02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
why exactly did it take so long? how many teams were after him? i remember reading the cubs were, but they signed nady i think, so he was out of the running there.

I think that is why it took so long. The Reds stood their ground, not wanting to go above a certain price, and of course Gomes was holding out for the best thing he could get, which is what most would have done.

Redsfan320
02-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Good job, Walt. Let's hope it can transition into something on the field.

davereds24
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM

he got a major league deal out of it.

BigPoppa
02-22-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm glad we finally got him back in the fold. I like Gomes.

1990REDS
02-22-2010, 05:23 PM
With this being the case how do you guys think our lineup goes? I've been struggling to come up with the best potential lineup and here is how i have it, given the gomes deal goes through.

1. Stubbs
2. Cabrerra
3. BPhils
4. Votto
5. Bruce
6. Rolen
7. Gomes
8. Hernandez/Hanigan

All of the posts that i've looked at always seem to have phillips batting 4th. I think that him batting 4th changes his mentality and takes him out of his game. I'd like to see him in the 3 spot or 2 when janish is at short. i think the 3 spot is great spot for a 20/20, once 30/30 guy like bphils. And i'm also not sure why no one puts votto in the 4th spot. your 4 spot is your clean up guy that can get the runners in. votto is by far our best guy for driving in runs, as shown with his .336 BA w/ RISP and he put up 25 homers in a limited season. I'm hoping bruce can turn it around and we can put him in the 4 spot but as of now i think this is our best bet. our 1-3 are our speed guys who all get 20+ steals and 3-7 all getting 20+ homers. sounds like a good season to me. loving the fact that we have so many weapons that it's tough to put together the best lineup. Go redlegs!!

They will prolly switch Votto and Phillips. Dusty likes his Lefty Righty, Lefty Righty in the middle of the order.

PhatHead
02-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Who does this leave on the outside looking in? I'm thinking Nix.

Dickerson and Gomes in a quasi-platoon and Balenitine doesn't have any minor league options.

Kingspoint
02-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Very good signing.

This accomplishes many things.

1. Gives us a good LH bat (excellent at getting on base) off the bench when Gomes starts.
2. Gives us an excellent OF defender off the bench when Gomes starts.
3. Gives us an excellent RH Power bat off the bench when Dickerson starts.
4. Makes our "4th" Outfielder a good one, whether that's Dickerson (which it usually will be) or Gomes.
5. Gives us a very good Speed/SB player off the bench when Gomes starts.
6. Gives Balentien a chance to make the team over Nix if Balentien has a good Spring. This is good because Balentien is still on the upside of his career, where Nix is on the downside.

Kingspoint
02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Let the battle be between Dickerson and Stubbs for CF duty.

I suppose there could be a battle for that. That wouldn't be a bad thing.

Just assumed, like most, that Stubbs was getting the CF job handed to him.

Mr Larkin
02-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Gomes may have not been necessary, but I think this is a good signing. I think this gives us an insurance policy. Our LF will be no worse than Gomes and that is not a bad thing.