PDA

View Full Version : The lineup (took it from ORG).

Kingspoint
03-01-2010, 06:45 AM
Posted by jfay February 28th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Dusty Baker confirmed that Brandon Phillips will hit fourth again.

“He’s the best selection I’ve got, power, speed,” Baker said, “especially now that he’s learning to be an RBI man. I like (Scott) Rolen in the fifth spot, more than the fourth spot. It’ll give him better pitches to hit because Brandon might steal.”

It looks like the top of the lineup will be:

Drew Stubbs

Orlando Cabrera

Joey Votto

Brandon Phillips

Scott Rolen

Jay Bruce

“You’ve got a left, two rights and possibly another left with Bruce after Scott,” Baker said. “Right now, the No. 1 spot is Stubbs. If he doesn’t play, I can slot Dickerson in there without tearing up my lineup.”

Ramon Hernandez will likely hit seventh or eighth, with the left fielder in the other spot.

By the way, tomorrrow’s a big day at camp Goodyear. Tired, old Jamie Ramsey of Better Off Red fame is arriving. He earned the tag Tired, Old in the Reds Caravan. Seems Jamie was spotted at Big Al’s Bait Shop and Clothiers at one of the stops trying to find a pair of slacks that matched a paint chip from Ed Smith Stadium.

Jamie serves as a roadie and Marty Brennaman’s personal valet on the caravan. (Sadly, $2.99 was deducted for the Jamie’s customary sawbuck tip from Marty after Jamie brought back a skinny latte rather than black coffee Marty ordered from Starbucks. It’s doubly sad because Jamie has been saving for Jonas Brothers tickets).

Anyway, the Sansabelts purchased at Big Al’s will be a perfect compliment to Jamie’s fire engine red sports coat he wears on Opening Day. We’re not sure but we think the jacket was rescued from Mr. Howsam’s old office right before they blew up Cinergy Field.

By the way, I think the photos of me on Better Off Red were altered. Sure, I wear a jacket with “Loose Cannon” written across the back. But my hair’s not that gray is it?

Welcome, T.O. Jamie.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

----------------------------

After going through the last two years with Dusty, I just don't care anymore.

Dusty's 103-win Season in 1993 had as the #2 hitter, Darren Lewis and his .302 OBP, the exact same OBP as his #1 pitcher Bill Swift. He could have had Swift bat 2nd.

Dusty is such a slow learner, though I thought last year was the best I've ever seen him manage and that includes his San Francisco Giant days. I think he'll get a good product out of them this year even though I disagree with a lot of the things he does.

I'm just going to try to enjoy the season, and with Spring Training officially kicking off really soon, it's not going to be anything but positives from me for the rest of 2010. I'll wait until after the season to post the negatives.

I'm serious. There's way too many positives to be talking about this year to even waste time on any of the negatives....such as lineup construction, which we all know is futile to talk about anyway. But, I won't stop you. Heck, I just started the thread.

bgwilly31
03-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Well no surprise here. Its exactly what we all suspected.

Which im not entirely too much torn up about. Definitely an improvement over last year.

1990REDS
03-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Solid lineup. I still wish we had a bigtime cleanup hitter but you cant have it all. If they stay healthy they could make some noise in the central.

Griffey012
03-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Don't really see how I would change it at all, maybe move Bruce to the 2 hole so he sees better pitches hitting in front of Votto as compared to hitting in front of the LF'er whoever that is.

gedred69
03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Okay line-up as long as Phillips concentrates on getting hits instead of trying to hitting HRs.

1990REDS
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Don't really see how I would change it at all, maybe move Bruce to the 2 hole so he sees better pitches hitting in front of Votto as compared to hitting in front of the LF'er whoever that is.

I thought that to myself as well for all the same reasons. I do think he would see better pitches hitting in front of votto. My only concern is that if we get good production out of the leadoff man, that bruce doesnt put enough balls in play to move runners over and let votto drive the runs in. But going back to the earlier point he might put the ball in play more if hes seeing better pitches from hitting in front of votto. But its all a moot point because dusty will never put him in the 2 hole.

Vottomatic
03-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Stubbs/Dickerson (RH/LH)
Cabrera (RH)
Votto (LH)
Rolen (RH)
Bruce (LH)
Phillips (RH)
Gomes (RH)
Hernandez/Hanigan (RH/RH)

Move Gomes up to 5th and move Bruce down to 7th against lefties.

fugowitribe
03-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Call me crazy, but if Gomes is on Pace to hit 40 HR after a 1/4 of the season, anyone think he can hit 4th?

Griffey012
03-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Guess I would also have to throw in swapping Phillips and Rolen against righties, I dont mind Phillips in the 4 hole that much since he is a free swinger with some pop, might as well give him a lot of guys on base. But I think Rolen would be a better option against righties until Bruce gets it going.

RedLakerFan24
03-03-2010, 02:08 AM
I hope Chris Heisey Makes it, hes a perfect number 7 hitter behind bruce and infront of hernandez

swaisuc
03-03-2010, 09:35 AM
I am one of the few guys that would rather bat Joey 4th. As is, he is going to come up way too much with 2 outs and nobody on base. I will get killed for this... If you just switch him and Phillips you can can give those ABs to Phillips and have Votto either hitting with guys on base or leading off the next inning. You also create the RLRLR balance they love so much.

Since that has no chance of happening, I would prefer to see Rolen moved to the 2nd spot in the lineup and Gomes to 5th (cabrera to end). You don't have to be a stat junkie to believe that Stubbs/Cabrera is just too many outs up there to have so few extra base hits. Also, Rolen could really hammer some of the pitches he'd get with Stubbs a threat to steal and Votto on deck. In fact, I would argue that batting 2nd in OUR lineup is the best spot to hit. Is it really going to matter for a guy like OC?

As others have said though... oh well... this ship has sailed.

BLEEDS
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Guess I would also have to throw in swapping Phillips and Rolen against righties, I dont mind Phillips in the 4 hole that much since he is a free swinger with some pop, might as well give him a lot of guys on base. But I think Rolen would be a better option against righties until Bruce gets it going.

Other than the fact that he is normally at/near the league leaders in GiDP, is horrid 70% of the time (vs RHP) this makes complete sense.

He is horribly miscast as a #4 hitter. Of course this really only matters in the first inning, after which it just means he's getting more AB's than Rolen, Bruce, and Gomes on a consistent basis (which is also bad).

I hope he continues to get better - since I don't expect he will be here next year at $11M salary, so we can trade him when he's at top value.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Ghosts of 1990
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Bruce 6th... That is garbage.

Makes me hope Gomes from last year shows up, wins the every day job and can provide adequate protection for him in the 7th spot. Only hope Bruce has of moving along and progressing. Rolen or Phillips should be hitting behind him, doesn't matter where he is slotted.

PhillipsHead
03-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Here is our opening day lineup (it's all but iron clad):

Stubbs 8
Cabrera 6
Votto 3
Phillips 4
Rolen 5
Bruce 9
Hernandez 2
Dickerson 7
Harang 1